• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Couldn't help but think about this during the "real life" segments...

smbmovie_by_trackforce-da8etfn.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm not a fan of the open world approach for a platformer.
but the game is intriguing at least
I just hope that the city part i just on initial band dumb level and that after that (horrible to me) setting, we'll never see it ever again LOL
the footage with bosses and normal platforming section elements was GREAT

Looks amazing, except for two things: I'm not too fond of the realistic looking levels, looks kind of odd in a Mario game. And Peach is back to being a damsel again... She was my favorite character to play as in 3D World. I guess this means only Mario is playable this time?

LaserHawk

I wonder if "New Donk City" is the city where Mario rescued Pauline and fought Donkey Kong.

I really like the forest with the robots. It's probably my favorite of the environments.

You say that but when they showed the boss on the skyscraper Bayo 2 was exactly what sprung to mind.

For like six months, some Sonic communities organized a thing where they would angrily tweet Kamiya about "stealing" Sonic Adventure 2's ending for Bayonetta

From personal observation, I think he has blocked more Sonic fans than any other fan type.

watershed

Banned
What the fuck?!

32159368581_8d66d0f978_b.jpg

I love this screenshot. My only problem with the city is some of the less than stellar rendering of the buildings as Mario is jumping between them. They just don't look very good graphically. But it does look like it will be fun to run around in a normal human city.

Yukinari

I wonder if "New Donk City" is the city where Mario rescued Pauline and fought Donkey Kong.

I really like the forest with the robots. It's probably my favorite of the environments.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. DK 94 and MariovsDK had city levels so i feel like this is a homage.

L Thammy

I don't think there's anything necessarily Sonic-like about having a city. Mario's been in cities before and in populated settlements before, albeit in different genres. I think the jarring thing is having real-ish human figures next to Mario, which is what makes it resemble a Sonic game. Up until now you either didn't see any other people or they were all cartoonish things like Mario himself.

Mind you, that's the only thing in this trailer that I didn't love, so I can't hate this game for that, but I did make the connection.

TrueBlue

Looks amazing, except for two things: I'm not too fond of the realistic looking levels, looks kind of odd in a Mario game. And Peach is back to being a damsel again... She was my favorite character to play as in 3D World. I guess this means only Mario is playable this time?

I hope they do a Super Mario Run and make her playable at the end at the very least. Her crown could substitute for Mario's cap.

I imagine we'll get Luigi at the very least.

hwy_61

Banned
I know I'm not the only one(I'm not gonna dig through 19 pages to see), but I seriously got Platinum vibes when the trailer started. Like I seriously thought they were making a wonderful 102 lol...

This made my mouth drop. The whole fucking trailer. I just...man I can't wait to play this game.

Also, did anybody else think of that one Treehouse of horrors episode where 3D homer finds a portal to real life? Mario's looking around and the pedestrians are looking back like, "he doesn't look like us!"

EDIT: yes apparently I'm not the only one who thought of the simpsons haha

So we can expect to combine button inputs for the tight acrobatics with motion stuff for hat commands and moves? That prospect excites me, genuinely, so long as I hear positive impressions this weekend about responsiveness

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Props to Nintendo for making a 3D Mario look even less appealing to me than 3D World.

Loved it when it got to the typical Mario fantasy world stuff

That real world stuff looked terrible. Why are the people so realistic next to him? If they wanted a modern city why not at least make it a little cartoony like Mario? And I couldn't help but think how it looked significantly worse than even PS360 games in that environment like GTAV and Arkham

Loved it when it got to the typical Mario fantasy world stuff

That real world stuff looked terrible. Why are the people so realistic next to him? If they wanted a modern city why not at least make it a little cartoony like Mario? And I couldn't help but think how it looked significantly worse than even PS360 games in that environment like GTAV and Arkham

Why does this single level not look as good as the second most expensive video game ever made

Franz Brötchen;228247384 said:
Now, that honestly surprises me. Isn't it clear that because the console is 50$ more than 'expected' that now also this game must suck? This is NeoGAF!

Or people just have differing opinions on the footage of the game? I didn't even know what the expected price of the console was.

I think this is the worst debut of a main series Mario. Really, what are they thinking?

I much prefer it to 3D World's debut (though I loved the final game). Varied environments, the open gameplay style of 64 and Sunshine, tons of interaction with the word. Looks fantastic to me. While I do agree that Mario in a real-looking city looks a bit odd, as a playground it looks superb.

Most anticipated game of 2017, easily.

Regginator

Mixed feelings. In most ways it looks amazing, more often than not it reminds me of SM64, but in some places (like the city, and that dark forest) it looks aesthetically terrible. Especially the city doesn't fit at all with Mario's art style. I hope we visit that city as little as possible, but I have a feeling that's going to be the hub. Ugh.

Like WTF is this, Nintendo pls

I like the idea that Mario is having a New York city level (I would have loved to have Mario back to his more "dark" roots, climbing 1920s skyscraper construction sites and factories, fighting giant apes), it's just that the execution is so half-assed..

I get that some people really hate the clashing artstyle, but you do understand it is intentional, right? You can hate it, but acting like Nintendo does not realize it's clashing is strange.

Rewatched the trailer and noticed the cap can be used kiiiinda like a propeller to make him jump higher?

Despite my initial gripes, the few platforming we've seen alongside the two cap moves they showed (temporary platform and higher jump) are getting me excited to see what they could do here. Really hope the game isn't just open levels and there's a lot of 3D World styled platforming to complement the new hat mechanic

VDenter

Banned
The city area reminded me of the first reveal trailer for Super Mario Sunshine witch had a much more realistic environment than in the final game plus it had a realistic looking human . Maybe this is Nintendo revisiting a scrapped idea like they tend to do with much of their games.

Raitaro

What the fuck?!

I couldn't be happier with the fact that this will be a successor to 64 and Sunshine save for one tiny but significant problem (apologies in advance for the yelling):

MARIO IS A HUMAN BEING FROM BROOKLYN SO WHY DO THE HUMANS HERE LOOK LIKE US INSTEAD OF HIM?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously, I've always wanted a game where Mario would return to his roots in NY/Brooklyn, especially a more open world game (as I surely will have expressed here some times before). As such, I almost fell off my chair when I saw that I was actually getting my wish...until my mouth hit the floor when I noticed that Nintendo seemed to have forgotten themselves that Mario and Luigi are supposed to represent how humans look in the Mario universe. What a weird oversight / artistic decision!

Imagine how much cooler it would have been if New Donk City would have been populated by characters with similar proportions to Mario and Luigi but with everyday clothes and without mustaches etc. And that the buildings and cars and such looked less realistic but more in line with these cartoony humans. That would have been perfect imo and far better than ignoring Mario's own human background and origin story completely and in turn making him look like a freaky fish out of water instead of a guy returning home (similarly indeed to Sonic in Sonic Adventure 1/2 and 06 where he stood out like a sore thumb with his cartoony proportions amongst somewhat realistic humans).

SIGH....they came so close, SO close!

Big Nikus

I like the idea that Mario is having a New York city level (I would have loved to have Mario back to his more "dark" roots, climbing 1920s skyscraper construction sites and factories, fighting giant apes), it's just that the execution is so half-assed..

I bet we'll see some of that. You can spot some classic Donkey Kong construction site at one point in the trailer.

Top Bottom