• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

oti

Banned
I like the idea that Mario is having a New York city level (I would have loved to have Mario back to his more "dark" roots, climbing 1920s skyscraper construction sites and factories, fighting giant apes), it's just that the execution is so half-assed..

I'm sure it will be fine. We said the same things when the first 3D World trailer came out.

sanstesy

Loved it when it got to the typical Mario fantasy world stuff

That real world stuff looked terrible. Why are the people so realistic next to him? If they wanted a modern city why not at least make it a little cartoony like Mario? And I couldn't help but think how it looked significantly worse than even PS360 games in that environment like GTAV and Arkham

That people are realistic next to him is the whole point. In that level, Mario is visiting our world and in this case New York City.

The cap mechanic looks like a classic Mario idea that could be incorporated from now on, instantly obvious how it's used and already a part of his design. Love it.

So... Mario Odyssey... Anyone else notice Mario walking through the Lost Woods from Majora's Mask's intro?

kidding, but there is a resemblance.

Delpij

I don't like the city gameplay that much, it feels off. But the game sure looks promising though!

hkmmF7p.gif

dnWEKSJ.gif

Uh, raitaro sir. Please take a deep breath. They very clearly talked about how this game is about Mario traveling to a variety of dimensions/universes that are out of his element. Would make nonsense if the people in the urban environment resembled him dimensions wise.

If you just don't like the look of the human models, well that's a different thing

Your post also reads like the urban environment is the core of the game. It isnt. Part of a diverse melting pot

Ms.Galaxy

MARIO IS A HUMAN BEING FROM BROOKLYN SO WHY DO THE HUMANS HERE LOOK LIKE US INSTEAD OF LIKE HIM?!?!?!?!

Eh, technically, the Yoshi Island series retconned that. Mario is a human from the Mushroom World that later grew up in Brooklyn if we follow the Mario Deep Lore.

pringles

Wow really surprised at so many negative reaction. Just watched the presentation and was expecting GAF to go crazy over how good this looks. It easily sold me on the Switch and I skipped 3D World. This looks like exactly what people have been asking for, an open world adventure Mario. And it all feels very fresh.

Hopefully they manage to polish the graphics a bit before release but otherwise it looks amazing.

Ydelnae

The most exciting title I saw during the presentation. It actually felt fun and engaging, and while I like most of the Mario games, I never get the "I must play it" feeling from trailers or demos.

Mario, help the Switch whenever you launch. You're my only ho

zoukka

Considering how right off the bat after the city world they showed a very simple cel-shaded "food" world and a rather textured/oddly lightened forest world, no - they really are aiming for the different "styles" per world.

I was talking about the trailer not the game as a whole. Like tease people into thinking it's something else for a few seconds and then drop the Mario bomb.

KORNdoggy

so confused right now.

me too. the switches in art style and worlds is just...weird...i guess i'm so used to mario existing in worlds that look like he belongs, seeing him, unchanged, in a low poly worlds, or pikmin style worlds, or a "realistic" city setting is strange to me. i'd have preferred it if with each change to the art style they adapted mario to fit in stylistically. so low poly mario running around. or a more realistically rendered mario. etc

me too. the switches in art style and worlds is just...weird...i guess i'm so used to mario existing in worlds that look like he belongs, seeing him, unchanged, in a low poly worlds, or pikmin style worlds, or a "realistic" city setting is strange to me. i'd have preferred it if with each change to the art style they adapted mario to fit in stylistically. so low poly mario running around. or a more realistically rendered mario. etc
That sounds even weirder to me.

Ionic

I finally figured out what the city section reminds me of. It really seems like one of the Mario commercials where he goes into the real world and is jumping all over stuff. It kind of feels nostalgic.

Malus

The thing I like about the city setting is that usually in these kinds of games you get grass, desert, ice, forest yada yada. Having New York in there really helps freshen it up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's so, so nice to see Nintendo taking some big risks with this and Zelda. It isn't back to the old tricks again. Really cool stuff.

iFirez

I love the juxtaposition of Mario in realistic or surreal environments, it feels surreal and I love it. It seems as if his flying craft allows him to travel to different worlds or dimensions, which in its self is very reminiscent of Mario 64's Paintings and Sunshine's Ink Portals. I'm excited to see what other crazy out there places they let us visit. I do feel the urban environment is the least inspired but it still looks awesome.

Rodin

Isn't it possible that they just made a "realistic city level" with the clashing artstyle and decided to show it in the trailer because it's something new for the series?

I mean, it's not like the whole game looks like that.

I love the juxtaposition of Mario in realistic or surreal environments, it feels surreal and I love it. It seems as if his flying craft allows him to travel to different worlds or dimensions, which in its self is very reminiscent of Mario 64's Paintings and Sunshine's Ink Portals. I'm excited to see what other crazy out there places they let us visit. I do feel the urban environment is the least inspired but it still looks awesome.

This is exactly what they were going for.

Raitaro

That people are realistic next to him is the whole point. In that level, Mario is visiting our world and in this case New York City.

Yet, the problem with that is that he is supossed to be from our world already, from Brooklyn to be precise, not the Mushroom Kingdom like most people - including Nintendo - seem to think for some reason. In that sense, all the humans shown here should look more or less like him, not us.

Why make his origin story that he is a cartoony human plumber from Brooklyn who ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom by accident, to then create another version of NY called New Donk City that is actually the one we ourselves know and is inhabited by actual humans? This makes no sense save for Nintendo simply forgetting their own Mario lore (similar perhaps to how the Splatoon devs for some reason had not thought about Bloopers and how they look similar to the Inklink squids...)

Yukinari

i know some people probably said this already but i absolutely love that Nintendo acknowledges that its been 15 years since the last REAL 3D mario.

Not Galaxy, not 3D World. Actual 3D Mario games like Sunshine.

It almost makes me proud of them for admitting it.

RdN

That trailer looks fantastic.

I love the city setting, it's very different from something that you would expect from a Mario game, and that's why I think it works so well.

sanstesy

But he's a human from New York City to begin with?

Yet, the problem with that is that he is supossed to be from our world already, from Brooklyn to be precise, not the Mushroom Kingdom like most people - including Nintendo - seem to think for some reason. In that sense, all the humans shown here should look more or less like him, not us.

Why make his origin story that he is a cartoony human plumber from Brooklyn who ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom by accident, to then create another version of NY called New Donk City that is actually the one we ourselves know and is inhabited by actual humans? This makes no sense save for Nintendo simply forgetting their own Mario lore (similar perhaps to how the Splatoon devs for some reason had not thought about Bloopers and how they look similar to the Inklink squids...)

I mean, if it hasn't been clear already but his original origin story written in a booklet 30 years ago has been abandoned a long time ago. He is from Mushroom Kingdom and that's it.

lmao mario lore

Yeah, kind of funny.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes he is. At least he was at the time of Donkey Kong and (non-super) Mario Bros.

I'm sure we all remember Baby Mario being dropped off in New York City at the end of Yoshi's Island.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
i know some people probably said this already but i absolutely love that Nintendo acknowledges that its been 15 years since the last REAL 3D mario.

They actually said that? Cause it's pretty insulting to SMG.

No he's not.
I mean there's no real lore to Mario but

^ "Now with Mario, I think with Mario Bros. we had a setting of course that was underground, so I just decided Mario is a plumber. Let's put him in New York and he can be Italian. There was really no other deep thought other than that." Snyder, Mike (November 11, 2010.Q&A: 'Mario' creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...mario-creator-shigeru-miyamoto/1#.VvWjUno0F4M

So he's originally a New York based Italian Plumber, wrecking shit in the sewers

TrueBlue

I can't tell if this is parody or not, but the Mario Odyssey page says its "the first sandbox-style Mario game" since those titles.

This "real 3D Mario" thing is as contrived now as it was then.

If you are joking, then you got me. :p

Mohonky

Did... they just Sonic Adventure' Mario? This is weird.
That was actually my first impression!

Some of the areas looks as expected, then other areas it was like this weird juxtoposition between the style of Mario and the environment.

This trailer didnt actually do a lot for me.

Yep, the jungle level looks simply empty as fuck. Not only that, but the music is not even comparable to the Galaxy OST.

Go watch the first Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 reveal trailers again.

Spoiler in case you don't want to:
The music wasn't orchestrated yet

Top Bottom