• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

Future

So when the choice was made of how to realize a Mario open world game, instead of realizing the mushroom kingdom they decided New York was the way to go

K

Mario fans.

"I don't like it. I want a Proper Mario 64."

I gotta write a script that auto-ignores users who use the words 'True' or 'Proper' within three words of the word 'Mario', because they're just plain never ever good posts

So when the choice was made of how to realize a Mario open world game, instead of realizing the mushroom kingdom they decided New York was the way to go

K

Did I dream the part of the trailer where they show Mario jumping through all kinds of colorful and bizarre landscapes or are you all purposefully ignoring that to focus on the city?

The more I think about the game the more it reminds of Lego City Undercover or one of those open world Lego Marvel Superheroes games. You run around the city and enter levels by entering certain buildings and travel around the world.

Did I dream the part of the trailer where they show Mario jumping through all kinds of colorful and bizarre landscapes or are you all purposefully ignoring that to focus on the city?

there's a good swath of this thread who have somehow convinced themselves that New Donk City is the Princess Peach's Castle style Hub World for this game.

SuomiDude

The city landscape allows great platforming, but other than that I'm not really liking the city. The rest though? Looks awesome, and just what many people wanted to see, a huge areas with platforming spread all over. Can't wait to get my hands on it when it releases I should have the system by then I think.

Future

The city looks like the biggest area and the HUB

This is reminding me of Super Mario sunshine. Classic Mario areas looking good. Everything else some weird side experiment gone wrong

When I see Mario in NYC, it's a homecoming for him. An Italian plumber from Brooklyn.

Should've modeled the level after Bensonhurt instead of Manhattan, he's from Bensonhoist no doubt! Complete with tracksuit-wearing wise guy stickups and his grandma yelling at him from the 3rd story window to get his ass upstairs for some baked ziti.

Mario fans.

"I don't like it. I want a Proper Mario 64."

Hey, thanks for being so transparent, makes it easier to respond to your posts accordingly

Damn. I mean this is literally the 1st mario since Sunshine to have the Dive Move which was a huge part in tying Mario's moveset together in those games. Anyone who says this isn't a proper Mario 64/Sunshine successor is insane.

It doesn't look like the biggest area OR the hub. (re-watch that bit with the flowers, and have a peek at the background)

I don't know why you or anyone else is under the impression that the city serves as a hub.

Can you cite even one reason why you think it's the hub outside of the trailer having started off IN the city?

prag16

Banned
This game looks really fucking good. Bums me out all the more that quite literally everything else about the presentation let me down.

kendrake

Banned
This game looks really fucking good. Bums me out all the more that quite literally everything else about the presentation let me down.
they want zelda/mario to be the attention, same as the system

makes for a boring conference when we all want are games, games, games

sorry for dp

KiN0

This is reminding me of Super Mario sunshine. Classic Mario areas looking good. Everything else some weird side experiment gone wrong

I didn't see anything hub-like about the city.

If anything, the Flying hat is the hub for this game in the same way Starship mario was the hub for galaxy 2.

MrBadger

What proof is there that the city is the hub world? I think people are just assuming that because of associations with Sonic Adventure. To me, every area they showed looked equally big and varied. There's so much going on in the ice desert with the skeleton guys. And that's also the most Mario-like stage out of all of them.

Damn. I mean this is literally the 1st mario since Sunshine to have the Dive Move which was a huge part in tying Mario's moveset together in those games. Anyone who says this isn't a proper Mario 64/Sunshine successor is insane.

dive move, spinny hearts, ledge hanging, health/coin split, acrobatics abound

but this is totally a 3D World styled game, right Griss? ;p

Alienous

When I see Mario in NYC, it's a homecoming for him. An Italian plumber from Brooklyn.

That's the thing - it looked like a homecoming at the start of the trailer. I thought that was such a cool place to set a Mario game. But then it clear he's an outsider in that world, as he doesn't look like anyone there.

Would've been nice to have Mario go to his favourite Pizzeria. Maybe see his apartment. Maybe he's just a nobody outside of the Mushroom Kingdom? All the possibilities then the game makes it clear he's foreign to that world.

The hat ship thing is pretty clearly the "hub" of the game. It even has a globe on it, which is presumably where you select your levels from. It's Mario's adventure across the whole world, which is why we have a New York level, a Mexican themed level, a redwood esque forest, etc. It's Mario's Odyssey--he's going to exotic lands and seeing completely new environments and peoples everywhere he goes. One place has goofy robot men, another is inhabited by fork people, and another is populated by realistic humans.

I find this game to be super exciting.

And not a damn Toad in sight.

kendrake

Banned
The hat ship thing is pretty clearly the "hub" of the game. It even has a globe on it, which is presumably where you select your levels from. It's Mario's adventure across the whole world, which is why we have a New York level, a Mexican themed level, a redwood esque forest, etc. It's Mario's Odyssey--he's going to exotic lands and seeing completely new environments and peoples everywhere he goes.
should have had david attenborough narrate the thing

RocknRola

Mario in New York? Pffftt. Sonic already did that in lik '98 :p

---

Seriously this + Zelda is making me want to buy the damn console. Game looks all the good kinds of crazy and fun!.....but damnit Nintendo, why did you have to mess the pricing so badly? Ugh. Not sure if I can resist Zelda, let alone this when the Holiday comes!

hidys

I love everything about this game. The Switch itself seems kind of disappointing to me but this game looks awesome.

And I'm totally okay with the "real world" level/hub (whichever that is) so long as the game provides a diverse number and range of levels.

This looks so great, the movement and moveset look fun as hell. The city is super weird, but I kinda like it since it's one part of the game and the rest looks to be classic 3D Mario.

Where the hell are people getting the idea that New Donk City is the hub? The hub is clearly the flying top hat, just like the hub in Mario Galaxy was Rosalina's space station and in Mario Galaxy 2 was Mario's planetoid ship.

Waji

Too bad Switch; If you had put this at launch I would have probably considered you.
Know I'll wait for Xenoblade 2 / Mario later.

This Mario looks awesome, no contest.

PrimeBeef

That's the thing - it looked like a homecoming at the start of the trailer. I thought that was such a cool place to set a Mario game. But then it clear he's an outsider in that world, as he doesn't look like anyone there.

Would've been nice to have Mario go to his favourite Pizzeria. Maybe see his apartment. Maybe he's just a nobody outside of the Mushroom Kingdom? All the possibilities then the game makes it clear he's foreign to that world.

There are plenty of little people that look more like Mario than the rest of us in the real world.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This video game looks absolutely amazing

Wowowow

Where the hell are people getting the idea that New Donk City is the hub? The hub is clearly the flying top hat, just like the hub in Mario Galaxy was Rosalina's space station and in Mario Galaxy 2 was Mario's planetoid ship.
Didn't Nintendo say right after this trailer that there were going to be many massive levels like New Donk City? That'd imply to me that it isn't a giant hub world like Isle Delfino.

Didn't Nintendo say right after this trailer that there were going to be many massive levels like New Donk City? That'd imply to me that it isn't a giant hub world like Isle Delfino.

They did. Plus there's like... nothing in NDC to suggest it's a hub. If anything there's tons of shit that shows it's not, such as a boss battle.

Big Nikus

I hope they improve the anti aliasing because I can't stand this shit anymore, otherwise I'm good. Mario and Yooka-Laylee the same year... Man it's gonna be a amazing year for 3D platformers. The best since 1998 !

I'm not sure there's a hub zone, and those flaky leaks aren't going to convince me. The hat-boat itself with it's navigational globe seems as good a hub as it needs really.

It could maybe have a return to Mother Base Mushroom Kingdom option onboard, perhaps

Top Bottom