• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

I am super amped up for the game and I don't give a shit about the city. In a way, isn't Mario tackling a realistic city environment just as whimsical as the environments we've come to expect from Mario?

Big One

Banned
I'm not sure there's a hub, and those flaky leaks aren't going to convince me. The hat-boat itself with it's navigational globe seems as good a hub as it needs really
With the way the game looks I wouldn't be surprised if every "world" was essentially the size of a normal hub world if not bigger.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm not sure there's a hub zone, and those flaky leaks aren't going to convince me. The hat-boat itself with it's navigational globe seems as good a hub as it needs really.

It could maybe have a return to Mother Base Mushroom Kingdom option onboard, perhaps

Yeah the ship thing is this game's Spaceship Mario, it's just that the levels are bigger and more open ended now.

I think Griss was just mistaken. There's no way he's watched this video more than once and still thinks that, lol. I would hope.

It's like, all the shit that's going on in that video and the Switch reveal trailer... the moves, the acrobatics, spinny hearts, edge hanging, just tons of shit that's more reminiscent of Mario 64 than anything else...

how could you fixate on Mario running straight forward during parts of the video and say to yourself... "Yep, these are 3D World mechanics!"

Aldric

I think Griss was just mistaken. There's no way he's watched this video more than once and still thinks that, lol. I would hope.

It's like, all the shit that's going on in that video and the Switch reveal trailer... the moves, the acrobatics, spinny hearts, edge hanging, just tons of shit that's more reminiscent of Mario 64 than anything else...

how could you fixate on Mario running straight forward during parts of the video and say to yourself... "Yep, these are 3D World mechanics!"

lt's not just the mechanics, the level design is obviously sandboxy and completely different than 3D World's linear obstacle courses.

JLynn

Yet, the problem with that is that he is supossed to be from our world already, from Brooklyn to be precise, not the Mushroom Kingdom like most people - including Nintendo - seem to think for some reason. In that sense, all the humans shown here should look more or less like him, not us.

The thing about Mario being from Brooklyn didn't come from Nintendo. It came from Dic when they were developing the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. It's also where the plumbers profession came from. It wasn't canon to Nintendo of Japan then, and I don't know if it's canon now. I guess not because Mario since 64 sounds like he's fresh off the boat and not like he was born and raised in Bensonhurst.

SomTervo

That's the thing - it looked like a homecoming at the start of the trailer. I thought that was such a cool place to set a Mario game. But then it clear he's an outsider in that world, as he doesn't look like anyone there.

I'm seeing it like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or "Nightmare Before Christmas". Mario is from the '"cartoon" world (in this case "videogame world") and he's going into different "universes".

So just like Roger leaving the cartoon world and going into the real world, Mario is going from the videogame world into the real world.

I think the actual playable event/moment will be pretty amazing, frankly. Nintendo wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

Kirkbangles

Neo Member
For what it is looks good, but Nintendo dropped the ball. If Mario is going on an odyssey, he should travel between the different nintendo universes. Mario in Hyrule or Kong Kountry?! Could've been amazing. Instead Mario is running around some generic looking city styled after new York. Meh. He looks very out of place next to the poorly animated human npcs.

I'm not sure about them. If you look closer at the humans walking around in the city, they look like they're from the N64.

I'm really glad that my memory isn't so muddled. From what I hear, if you talk about video games for too long on the internet, that's what happens - you lose your mind, and your ability to retain images and information properly. It's why we've had so many people namedrop PS3, 360, PS1, and N64 today - because they don't actually remember what games on those consoles looked like. And it's only been a few years. I can't imagine not being able to remember more than three or four years in the past. I guess I'd better stop foruming, then

MrBadger

I'm not sure about them. If you look closer at the humans walking around in the city, they look like they're from the N64.

32159368581_8d66d0f978_b.jpg

Let's not get carried away here.

Ranger X

I thought only SEGA was dumb enough to have Sonic mixed with humans and a real town. I WAS WRONG lol.

Otherwise the new Mario looks good.

opricnik

Banned
I bet who hates city levels are going to eat crow when game launches, looks amazing cant believe they justified Sonic 2006 finally

Just as Super Mario Galaxy took after the planetoid iconography of The Little Prince, am I the only one who sees Odyssey as an answer to Alice, with its Mad Hatter Bowser and his gang of white rabbits?

I don't mind the city folk at all; those aren't "real" proportions, they're Art Deco proportions, perfect for a cartoon abstraction of New York.

maxcriden

Just as Super Mario Galaxy took after the planetoid iconography of The Little Prince, am I the only one who sees Odyssey as an answer to Alice, with its Mad Hatter Bowser and his gang of white rabbits?

I don't mind the city folk at all; those aren't "real" proportions, they're Art Deco proportions, perfect for a cartoon abstraction of New York.

Ah, I didn't even think of that Alice quality to it. Genius. And in a way, Mario is going down the various rabbit holes. And I *think* I saw in the trailer the bunnies you chase in N64 and Galaxy returning, no?

Totally agree re: art deco citizens. They look like they walked out of a Rockwell.

Salsa

yeah I havent read anything but im guessing im with the majority when I say that I would have liked the trailer 10 times more if it didnt feature fucking bland human characters what the fuck

looks great other than that and I love the idea of going outside the mushroom kingdom and all

just dont put fuckin humans in donkey kong city

maybe Pauline shows up

I think I have a problem with the new mario game. The characters and the environments dont fit together. The city stuff and the scary forest just looks wrong.

grim-tales

I'm seeing it like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or "Nightmare Before Christmas". Mario is from the '"cartoon" world (in this case "videogame world") and he's going into different "universes".

So just like Roger leaving the cartoon world and going into the real world, Mario is going from the videogame world into the real world.

I think the actual playable event/moment will be pretty amazing, frankly. Nintendo wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

That's a good idea, I hadnt thought of that. Maybe Mario is entering the real world and finding the DK crew took it over or something? (Hence the street/club names, etc) :s

Alienous

I do think that's what they're going for, the problem is that it doesn't look like the real world. It looks like a less stylized cartoon world - like The Sims. I think that's what makes it jarring to some. It doesn't look like Mario traversing into the world we inhabit, but I think that's what they're going for.

Why are we getting Mario Adventure 06?

We're not, you're just noticing superficial similarities like other people. Sonic 06 has lots more problems than a city setting, and Sonic 06's city itself has deep problems - mechanically, contextually, aesthetically. to the point where I just roll my eyes at these comparisons, which only hold up on the surface.

Salsa

it'd legit look perfect if there werent human models man

like I dig the idea of going kinda inconsistent with the art style and design as a whole, sorta like warioware minigames in a way

shaking up Mario's a good thing. there's few places left to take him

and I really do justify it with the sort of interdimensional / oddyssey thing. dude's globe trotting and I like the possibilities of just going fuckin nuts with it. go nuuuuutzzzzzzz

but dont put fucking mario alongside a regular looking human jesus that's awful why do that

dude's a human too and now he's just like a small hairy child or something euwgh

it'd legit look perfect if there werent human models man

like I dig the idea of going kinda inconsistent with the art style and design as a whole, sorta like warioware minigames in a way

shaking up Mario's a good thing. there's few places left to take him

and I really do justify it with the sort of interdimensional / oddyssey thing. dude's globe trotting and I like the possibilities of just going fuckin nuts with it. go nuuuuutzzzzzzz

but dont put fucking mario alongside a regular looking human jesus that's awful why do that

dude's a human too and now he's just like a small hairy child or something euwgh
Its like Mario is the son of a degenerate family if normal humans exist.

m4st4

Mario is clearly not a human from our world. He's supposed to enter our grey everyday lives, have some fun here, make our (as in: grey bystanders) lives better and move on to a different world, their stylistic choice is pretty evident.

Looks completely amazing. Mario in a realistic city holy shit, fuck I wish this was a launch game
God no kidding. Mario Odyssey is the killer app for the system as far as I'm concerned.

His movement reminds me of Mario Sunshine, which is still the best controlling Mario game out there.

Dear god this looks atrocious, particularly the city section. What a huge disappointment, considering how gorgeous and artistically consistent the Mario game on Wii U looked.

MrBadger

I do think that's what they're going for, the problem is that it doesn't look like the real world. It looks like a less stylized cartoon world - like The Sims. I think that's what makes it jarring to some.

I think if it looked any more realistic, we'd enter the uncanny valley, or "fanmade unreal demo" territory. I think they've got a good balance here, where Mario looks deliberately jarring and out of place but the world still looks cartoonish. I'm sure many disagree but I like the balance they've struck.

After how god damn predictable every Mario game on the 3DS and Wii U has been stylistically, I'm genuinely excited to see what other locales are in this one, both fantasy and realistic.

I'm positive you're right in terms of gameplay and polish. Aesthetically though? That's exactly what those city portions look like. :/

I mean...

...no. Aesthetically it's still far better than what was going on in Sonic '06. It's just jarring seeing Mario amongst realistically proportioned people, that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIJsIuid1Y

^^^ Here's a quick reminder for all of you, of what Sonic 06's city actually looks like, and how its aesthetic problems extend far far FAR beyond anything we've seen in its trailer.

You could skim through the first two minutes of the video and my point will be made.

Top Bottom