• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Announced (Holiday 2017)

ugly

Looks great. Movement options seem improved in an intuitive way. Love the hat mechanics. surprised there's not more talk about this game, actually. Nintendo fans busy lamenting end of Wii u practices? Nintendo and it's fans are in a funny place. Attached and bored simultaneously.

Also, really really going that those rumors saying that this game was practically finished and that Nintendo just doesn't release it for strategic reasons are not true because I noticed so many graphical glitches.

See for example the shadow of Mario when he grabs on to the big vine. Our the shadow when mario jumps up to escape from the bullet bill.

This game needs a whole year in the oven at least.

disco

Also, really really going that those rumors saying that this game was practically finished and that Nintendo just doesn't release it for strategic reasons are not true because I noticed so many graphical glitches.

See for example the shadow of Mario when he grabs on to the big vine. Our the shadow when mario jumps up to escape from the bullet bill.

This game needs a whole year in the oven at least.

*also when Mario is stood in the grass in the forest, the grass briefly turns gauze-like.

To me, it doesn't look graphically impressive but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Early 3D World didn't look great but by release looked amazing.

Trey

I sympathize with the people suffering from haunting memories of Sonic 06 that they can't look at this trailer with hope.

Reminded me of SM64, on the other hand. Can't wait.

Chunky

All you Sonic Adventure 1/Sonic 06 haters slobbering over this shit are eating so much fucking crow right now, and I love it.

I've always loved SA1, so I'm super stoked for this jarring leap for Mario, lol

Sonic Adventure ain't hated because of the setting, it's because 1/6 of the game is turgid shit and the rest is fucking landfill.
You should feel bad for still liking it and I hope Sega never listens to people like you when making a sequel. Bury that style of sonic in the ground FOR EVER.

I'm almost offended that people are linking this beautiful odyssey to the two unquestionably, unarguably worst sonic games.

A sandbox 3D Mario game can't be a bad thing. It's all good. Not a whole hell of a lot of the stream last night was good. But this? This is good.

I mean, Sonic also put Sonic alongside people and wanted it to look natural and serious

Mario puts Mario next to people and wants it to look weird and funny

I'm mystified at the negative impressions of the city level. Looks so awesome. And it looks HUGE. And the movement looks fantastic, the hat mechanic sounds amazing. That hat platforming is so cool and makes so much sense I'm surprised we haven't seen it before.

Dreavus

I just can't get behind the real world cross-over type stuff. Not a good fit for Mario IMO. Thankfully that looks like one zone of many.

NathanS

Sonic Adventure ain't hated because of the setting, it's because 1/6 of the game is turgid shit and the rest is fucking landfill.
You should feel bad for still liking it and I hope Sega never listens to people like you when making a sequel. Bury that style of sonic in the ground FOR EVER.

I'm almost offended that people are linking this beautiful odyssey to the two unquestionably, unarguably worst sonic games.

Also this isn't "And now all of a sudden Mario lives in universe with completely different atheistic from him and all his older games, in fact he has always lived here; please ignore this sudden shift." This is him vising universe with looks completely different from the Mushroom Kingdom, notably Hammer Bro and Spiny we see look like they always have rather then Eggman's robots sudden shift to being more realistic looking instead humanoids rather then the bright cartoon robot animals they had been for the last 4 main Sonic games before Adventure.

Had a huge smile on my face watching the trailer.

I understand people getting hung up on seeing goofy-looking 'real people' but I think the point was to show a) a recognisably open environment and b) an environment that is traditionally non-Mario.

The game seems to be about journeying to the unknown so Mario popping up in 'the real world' was meant to highlight that. And bare in mind that'll probably end up being one of many, many different levels you explore, all of which seem vastly different so far.

The idea that I get to potentially play this and Zelda within the next year has me giddy

Makes sense that the most creative Mario game Nintendo's shown since SMG ends up being the most hated.

I'm guessing you are not a creative person or a designer. This game is aesthetically way worse than any previous 3d mario game, even mario 64. It's not a technical thing, it's the art direction, it's just bad compared to those past games.

KingBroly

Banned
I mean, Sonic also put Sonic alongside people and wanted it to look natural and serious

Mario puts Mario next to people and wants it to look weird and funny

It's not like they did it for the Olympics or their Mario Run commercial either. Oh wait.

Mario is supposed to be fun, people. He's playing Jump Rope with realistic-looking characters in formal attire. It's not supposed to be taken seriously.

I'm not digging Mario's height compared to the adults in the city. I think the adults should be around the same height as Mario. Or just take them out of the city altogether. Looks odd. The other stuff looks good.
He'd be a giant otherwise. I'm sure they sized him to fit coming out of that sewer hole.

7roject28

Seems like there's a story to why he's in the real world as they said he hopped out of Mushroom Kingdom. Maybe when Bowser kidnapped Peach he took a portal to the real world. Seems like the real world section is the hub.

Are they using the 3d world engine? Looks the exact same.

mario-3d-world-4.jpg

NintendoSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_Presentation2017_scrn09_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

notably Hammer Bro and Spiny we see look like they always have rather then Eggman's robots sudden shift to being more realistic looking instead humanoids rather then the bright cartoon robot animals they had been for the last 4 main Sonic games before Adventure.

To be fair, alot of the Badniks in Sonic Adventure are pretty cartoony and bright in design:

latest

Sa_spina.png

Sa_leon.png

Sa_kiki.png

Nepenthe

Sonic Adventure is a game that has inarguably aged badly, but it is also the best 3D Sonic game in terms of trying and properly import both classic aesthetics and physical movesets (lol at Gens' "Classic Sonic" on rails bullshit), actually gave a shit about being creative in terms of utilizing various stages' locations to contextualize the level design, leading to a welcome variance in pacing and obstacles within a single level itself unlike every goddamn game since Colors, actually had some nice lore tie-ins, didn't endeavor to shit on and undermine both its own narrative premises and the audience's ability to engage, and frankly still has one of the best soundtracks in the franchise. All of this adds up to what was simultaneously great reception and sales figures at the time of release, performing better than S2 and S3&K in terms of the ratio of games to consoles sold...and Sonic 2 was a fucking pack-in (I know it's fun revisionist history to act like 3D Sonic has never done anything right until Colors, but still lol).

Throwing all of those good ideas away because it's a game from 1998 made to the more forgiving standards of 1998 has plagued Sonic just as bad as Sega's crap programming standards, and bullies like you are honestly no better than blind fanatics. Play Sonic Mania and keep the fuck away from my 3D games, please and thank you. It's bad enough I have to grin and bear Colors and how boring as shit it was just because it didn't endeavor to trigger people from the outset.

Yeah, kind of shocked to see the response.

Yeah the only complaint I have is that the human models in the city look off, but the city itself looks fine to me. Kind of wish the humans had just been toads in suits and stuff though lol. But overall the game itself looks Awesome!

Also wondering if it's 60 since youtube is and for whatever reason it didn't look 30 to me? I'm typically good with this stuff lol

It definitely seems to be the 3D world engine too, but IMO the worlds themselves seem to have more to them/more going on than the 3D world levels did.

It seriously looks like those ugly ass unreal engine 4 mario 64 remakes we all make fun about here in gaf. How can you guys like how that looks?
It looks weird and unpredictable and just fun and crazy. The idea of Mario exploring vastly different and bizarre world's is extremely enticing

pulsemyne

I hate how this game looks, it's totally inconsistent and lacks the polish that the galaxy and wiiU 3d mario games had. It looks rushed.

And it's not just about the city level, is about the whole thing in general, each level seems like it was made by a different studio.

Really really bummed about this. Hope they can somehow convince me with great gameplay but unless they reduce the price of the switch seems like i won't be able to tell.

It's just under a year away from coming out. It's going to look a bit rough in places. I remember people laughing like mentals when they first saw pictures of Mario Sunshine and 3D world.

Aldric

So based on the trailer those are the moves available to Mario this time:
-triple jump
-long jump
-dive
-roll
-backflip
-kicking
-cap throwing
-cap platforming
Anything l missed? Damn l can't wait to see what streamers can do with this game. Feels like the age of Siglemic runs all over again.

It seriously looks like those ugly ass unreal engine 4 mario 64 remakes we all make fun about here in gaf. How can you guys like how that looks?

I think it's funny how close those screenshots look graphically considering the top is wii u and the bottom is switch. I know it's early development, but it's a new damn console.

Coffinhal

Yep always weird to see (the same?) people whining when this is a rather conservative approach (3D world) and ALSO when this is more progressive and innovative (here, with the "worlds" system pushed out of the typical mushroom universe and way bigger than before)

No it doesn't. UE4 "remakes" are made to be photorealistic and don't have any kind of art direction behind them.

Aldric

I think it's funny how close those screenshots look graphically considering the top is wii u and the bottom is switch. I know it's early development, but it's a new damn console.

l think it's pretty obvious looking at other games like Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 there's barely any graphical differences between Wii U and Switch games. Good old Nintendo.

bomma_man

While I prefer the linear style of the 3D Mario, they basically perfected that with galaxy 2 and 3dw so I'm cool with them trying a new thing. Sunshine mostly sucked, but flipping between buildings like a Mario ninja just because it felt good was great, and the city scenes certainly evoke that.

The forest level is ugly as hell though.

Why are there like regular people in it?

That makes 0 sense.

Why is a plumber in a mushroom kingdom battling flying turtles and fire-breathing lizards after going up and down giant green pipes and climbing magic beanstalks to walking on clouds and collect floating coins?

That makes 0 sense.

It's Mario. It's always been batshit when you think about it. As long as jumping feels good, it's Mario. Everything else is incidental when you get down to it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No they don't! :eek: That's a big exaggeration.
Not an exaggeration at all. Mario really looks fantastic, and better than many of the good looking PS3 games. I mean yeah, UC3 might looks better, and maybe a few more, but not much else.

If it runs at 60FPS then especially what he said is not an exaggeration at all - I would be hugely impressed if the game is really running at 60.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm guessing you are not a creative person or a designer. This game is aesthetically way worse than any previous 3d mario game, even mario 64. It's not a technical thing, it's the art direction, it's just bad compared to those past games.

Super_Mario_Odyssey.png

In terms of art direction, this looks worse than Mario 64 to you?

Top Bottom