• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

I was hyper critic of BOTW and I ended up loving the game, even for its graphics which I was 100% sure they were going to be shit but once i played it they somehow surprised me a lot on an artistic and ambiance level.

I was again super critic about odyssey when it was first revealed because it looked so out of place and weird. But now that they've shown and explained the game better I understand that it's all part of their concept and, technical issues aside, the graphics do not bother me at all now. It's all going for that sense of travel and making things look truly foreign and weird, like Mario is literally out of place. It was, again, a super risky concept for Nintendo to go for but this is what I love about this new Nintendo: they have an idea and they follow through with it with all consequences staying true to the core concept of the game.

It's obvious that many do not like or see any value in this but I honestly think that the only way this medium can progress and be taken seriously is if developers take risks and challenge conventions.

If Nintendo continues in this path I think we will be remembering this period as a new golden age for Nintendo in the future.

Rodin

I 'm always a Mario enthusiast but this game's art direction feels dull, uninteresting and even ugly (just look at the grass texture). It's trying to be realistic, when the system capabilities clearly don't allow that.

Just look at the Mario Galaxy shots from Dolphin, they are look alive and cheerful, that game had great art and sound. I hope Oddysey will will get better in the graphics department when it releases.

mariowtz3.jpg

dolphin2012-09-2322-3gbfjx.png
Are those pics supposed to show that Galaxy looks better? Because if so they do an incredibly poor job.

Also didn't realize that "realistic" was more intensive than "cartoony" and Switch didn't have enough horsepower to do the former, it's always nice to read insight from armchair developers.

If Nintendo continues in this path I think we will be remembering this period as a new golden age for Nintendo in the future.

I feel pretty confident in saying we'll be looking back on 2017 as one of the greatest years in Nintendo's first party history.

Like, I keep forgetting muthafuggin' Splatoon 2 is out in just over a month.

Neiteio

I feel pretty confident in saying we'll be looking back on 2017 as one of the greatest years in Nintendo's first party history.

Splatoon 2 is looking really good. It got overshadowed by the majesty of Odyssey and Samus Returns, but Salmon Run looks addictive, the story mode now allows you to replay each level with your choice of six weapon types, and it all runs at 1080p 60fps now. Also, the recent revelation that Miiverse-style pictures and messages will still be possible... HYPE!

I anticipate a Direct on it early next month to provide one last promotional push. Still some things unknown, like who'll be doing stage updates (if anyone) with Marie and Callie now busy in the story mode. And what will this game's equivalent of Splatfest be like. And so on.

Splatoon 2 is looking really good. It got overshadowed by the majesty of Odyssey and Samus Returns, but Salmon Run looks addictive, the story mode now allows you to replay each level with your choice of six weapon types, and it all runs at 1080p 60fps now. Also, the recent revelation that Miiverse-style pictures and messages will still be possible... HYPE!

I anticipate a Direct on it early next month to provide one last promotional push. Still some things unknown, like who'll be doing stage updates (if anyone) with Marie and Callie now busy in the story mode. And what will this game's equivalent of Splatfest be like. And so on.

Actually, you can run levels with 9 different weapon types with one we don't even know about. Plus the bosses look way better. Octo Samurai looked significantly superior to pretty much every boss in the original except the final one which bodes well.

Neiteio

Actually, you can run levels with 9 different weapon types with one we don't even know about. Plus the bosses look way better. Octo Samurai looked significantly superior to pretty much every boss in the original except the final one which bodes well.
Nine weapon types? Really? They only showed six in Treehouse Live. Has it been said somewhere that there are three additional types in story mode?

And yeah, Octo Samurai looks amazing. A proper character this time around. Although I also like that more abstract toaster oven boss that was glimpsed in the trailer.

Neiteio

Hopefully the single player is a bit longer this time. I want more!!!!
It looks at least as robust as the first game's campaign, only this time you can now replay each level with six (apparently nine) types of weapons, so you can effectively multiply the campaign experience accordingly. :-O

It looks at least as robust as the first game's campaign, only this time you can now replay each level with six (apparently nine) types of weapons, so you can effectively multiply the campaign experience accordingly. :-O

Yeah, using different weapons for each stage will be great.

I 'm always a Mario enthusiast but this game's art direction feels dull, uninteresting and even ugly (just look at the grass texture). It's trying to be realistic, when the system capabilities clearly don't allow that.

Just look at the Mario Galaxy shots from Dolphin, they are look alive and cheerful, that game had great art and sound. I hope Oddysey will will get better in the graphics department when it releases.

mariowtz3.jpg

dolphin2012-09-2322-3gbfjx.png

The irony of you posting these screenshots just shows how much the Galaxy games have aged technically despite looking great at the time. Odyssey blows this away in terms of everything, technical and art-style. Its on a whole other level. No idea what your're going on about and your screenshots didn't really support your case.

_Ryo_

Why are people saying this is Mario 64 styled? Can you bring the camera closer? Its much too far back except in dialogue and cutscenes. I do think the game looks amazing but just not 64like.

ghibli99

mariowtz3.jpg
I don't remember SMG looking this crappy. :(

I didn't quote your other shot because that one looks cool, but it's mainly showing Mario/Yoshi blasting off, not showing off environmental detail.

ciD_Vain

I wonder how fun being Cappy as Player 2 actually is. I mean you'd need to have a competent 2nd Player since the game seems to rely on Cappy's possession ability.

dlauv

This game looks like what a Lego game would if they had more budget and focus.

In a good way though. New Donk gives me hub vibes from Lego Marvel.

Here's a random unsolicited image collage I made from some of my favorite screenshots released so far:

The colorsssssssss

The Amiibo for this game are top-notch, but I'd love them even more if Peach had her Piranha Plant bouquet. I'm with you on the colors. This game looks damn beautiful!

Neiteio

The Amiibo for this game are top-notch, but I'd love them even more if Peach had her Piranha Plant bouquet. I'm with you on the colors. This game looks damn beautiful!
Yeah, the Piranha Plant bouquet is an example of something I think the Mario series does better than pretty much anyone else in videogames (or media in general): Repurposing existing iconography (in this case, the Piranha Plant) in new and interesting ways. What a fun world-building detail.

Also, just occurred to me: In addition to Pauline, I bet the Broodals will join the ranks of Mario Kart (and Mario Party, etc) in the future. There are four Broodals, so it should be easier to get them all in than the Koopalings.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The irony of you posting these screenshots just shows how much the Galaxy games have aged technically despite looking great at the time. Odyssey blows this away in terms of everything, technical and art-style. Its on a whole other level. No idea what your're going on about and your screenshots didn't really support your case.

I don't remember SMG looking this crappy. :(

That's what I was thinking in 2007 and 2010.

Are those pics supposed to show that Galaxy looks better? Because if so they do an incredibly poor job.

Wow. Just wow. Apparently we've reached the phase where some people are so desperate to justify their preference for SMO from its initial release, that these same people are arguing (with a straight face) that not only have the SMG games not aged very well, but in fact, were never good looking games to begin with!

To prefer one game aesthetic over another is totally fine, but this after-the-fact, retroactive Galaxy-phobia, is really something else. The Mario Cycle appears to have manifested itself. It is very real, and also, very dangerous.

Neiteio

Those Galaxy screens look darker than I remember. Was the game really that dark-looking or is there some sort of filter applied?

Yep. Zelda, Mario, 2D Metroid plus ARMS and Xenoblade 2. It really sounds like a pre-E3 fake list.

Neiteio

Yep. Zelda, Mario, 2D Metroid plus ARMS and Xenoblade 2. It really sounds like a pre-E3 fake list.
Heck, travel back in time to just last year and present this list about Switch's Year 1:

- 3D Zelda at launch (also best Zelda ever)
- Bomberman is back
- Mario Kart in second month
- New IP from MK8 team the day after E3
- Sequel to Splatoon the month after E3
- Mario + Rabbids (and it's GOOD)
- Pokken DX with proper local multiplayer
- 3D Mario (SM64-style!) in October
- Fire Emblem musou by year's end
- Xenoblade 2 by year's end
- Metroid Prime 4 on the horizon
- Core Pokemon RPG on horizon

And on the 3DS, Metroid: Samus Fucking Returns!

We made it fam

Gartooth

Heck, travel back in time to just last year and present this list about Switch's Year 1:

- Bomberman is back

We made it fam

This year has been fucking nuts for Nintendo. I think this is going to be their best year of 1st party output in the history of the company. It has quality, quantity, variety, and surprises in spades all while being in the first year of a new console.

Astral Dog

This game looks like what a Lego game would if they had more budget and focus.

In a good way though. New Donk gives me hub vibes from Lego Marvel.
LEGOS on PS4 look better i think, from what i remember 🤔

Obviously they are very different types of games

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

- Bomberman is back

We made it fam
My reaction would be "Pretty neat I guess. How's the third party support? And have Nintendo got the Virtual Console in order yet?"

Clov

This year has been fucking nuts for Nintendo. I think this is going to be their best year of 1st party output in the history of the company. It has quality, quantity, variety, and surprises in spades all while being in the first year of a new console.

It's definitely an amazing first year for the Switch, though I'm not sure if it's Nintendo's best year ever. 2010 was a pretty great year, for example. On Wii you had Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. There were a few gems on the DS as well, with Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Last Window (in Japan and Europe only, unfortunately, but you could always import). Definitely one of my favorite years for Nintendo.

It's definitely an amazing first year for the Switch, though I'm not sure if it's Nintendo's best year ever. 2010 was a pretty great year, for example. On Wii you had Mario Galaxy 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. There were a few gems on the DS as well, with Heart Gold/Soul Silver and Last Window (in Japan and Europe only, unfortunately, but you could always import). Definitely one of my favorite years for Nintendo.

I'd say this year will end up being better, but 2010 was definitely the last year that can compare to this one.

I don't know if this has been a fan theory, to me it seems obvious, but I haven't heard this from anyone. To me it seems like Donkey Kong is gonna come back in this game. He's gonna kidnap Pauline and take her to the highest building ala Donkey Kong and King Kong. The city is called New Donk City, and Pauline seems like the replacement for Peach..

Top Bottom