• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run and now Switch - Nintendo stocks have copped a belting

Machina

Banned
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/...ts-after-nintendo-switch-price-reveal-1648406

Nintendo announced the Nintendo Switch today at an event in Japan. Sporting a $299.99 price and a March 3 release date, along with a bevy of games, there seemed to be just enough to make Nintendo fans and newcomers bother with its latest console. Shareholders however, thought differently.

Nintendo stock is down by 1,465 points or 5.81 percent on the Tokyo Stock Exchange after crucial information on the console was announced.

ALSO SEENintendo Switch Price and Release Date Announced

This should come as no surprise. Prior to the Nintendo Switch event, several analysts and industry experts claimed that a $300 price would kill the console.

"A long-in-the-works revamp to the company's consoles -- the NX, with reveal coming next week -- is liable to come at a price that will result in a "major" disappointment for volume sales, the firm Macquarie says," according to a post on investor website Seeking Alpha. "Speculation is putting the price of the new console between $300 and $350, in line with competing consoles, vs. the Wii's former discount to rival boxes from Sony and Microsoft."

ALSO SEENintendo Switch Is Region-Free Nintendo Confirms

During the launch of Super Mario Run shareholders pressed the sell button on Nintendo, which tumbled 4.89 percent to JPY 26,225 ($222) by the break - wiping almost $2 billion (roughly Rs. 13,561 crores) off the firm's market capitalisation.

I think the shareholders are as tired as everyone else with the gimmicky shit.

Not surprised. These games aren't on a mobile device and they'd expect Nintendo to charge like $5-10 for extra Splatoon color ink or something.

Kouriozan

Joe was right

WkSmnNK.png

And it's always buy on rumors sell on news with Nintendo, so hardly surprising.

Its stock was up more than 51% in 2016. Its best performance during a calendar year since 2007.

There's going to be profit-taking by investors at times, and this is as good as ever with a lackluster Switch event.

The world isn't ending.

woodland

Nintendo shareholders want them to be mobile only free to play IAP.

I believe this is more in reference to the $300, not $250 price. But yea, considering they left a ton of money on the table to "make people aware of their brand" I can see why you don't want to own their stock at that price.

Metal B

The stocks of Sony and Microsoft mostly don't fall as strong as Nintendo's after an announcement, because they are involved in more then one business branch.

kevm3

To be honest, the console looks like a dud, but maybe if Nintendo releases a new pokemon on it, it'll sell like hotcakes.

Joe was right

WkSmnNK.png

And it's always buy on rumors sell on news with Nintendo, so hardly surprising.

We ought to ban stock dropping shit. It means nothing because it always happens when companies reveal new products. It's not something special to Nintendo either, the same thing happens to Apple.

killroy87

If I was a shareholder, I wouldn't have been happy last night either. Even as someone excited for the Switch, that was a train wreck of a presentation. It did a lot to completely undermine the goodwill from the October trailer and Fallon.

Happens to Apple, happens to Sony, happens to every publicly traded company ever after the reveal of major news. It's people selling trying to make a profit of the news and offer and demand working its thing. Non-news.

They could have made NeoGAF the happiest place in the world last night with new Metroid, Mother 3, Bayonetta, and tons of other big games and the stock still would have dropped.

Investors sell after press conferences that have big lead up.

Usobuko

Banned
It falls that much because it has risen irrationally in the first place.

Pokemon Go and Super Mario Run demonstrate Nintendo IP strength but not much in long-term business model that warrant a bump that is more 1.5x value of Supercell ( 3-4 super hits ) ~10 billions valuation.

To be honest, the console looks like a dud, but maybe if Nintendo releases a new pokemon on it, it'll sell like hotcakes.
Nintendo Switch showed a lot of promise with its October video reveal but last night just killed that hype and momentum. Honestly, Nintendo should have just showed a produced video online and kept the press thing non-streaming. Damn. My enthusiasm plummeted so fucking fast.

I actually feel bad seeing how awesome Mario Odyssey looked and thought it was going to be featured on a console that would possibly bomb out by the time it releases.

Nintendo Switch showed a lot of promise with its October video reveal but last night just killed that hype and momentum. Honestly, Nintendo should have just showed a produced video online and kept the press thing non-streaming. Damn. My enthusiasm plummeted so fucking fast.

I actually feel bad seeing how awesome Mario Odyssey looked and thought it was going to be featured on a console that would possibly bomb out by the time it releases.

Yeah they convinced me not to get one with their pricing, paid online, and lack of games. Nintendo acts like a premium brand like apple but they don't have the sales to back that up. They sort of have their heads up their asses

Top Bottom