• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

jts

...hate me...
Oh god, what takes 3500 green toads? What happens if you max out at 9,999 toads and don't have 3,500 green toads?
Modern 8-bit Small Luigi Statue

Correction, it’s actually "just" 2500 green toads.

It’s the Modern 8-bit Small Mario Statue that takes 3500 toads, but of the red type, so I’m not very far from getting that one.

Second question I haven’t really found out by myself, but I see it’s been answered.

Boy those airship levels are rough, theres so much happening on-screen I can lose sight of mario and have him slip through the cracks. Doesn't help to have the other players ghost there alongside you either. But man when you hit that rhythm, WOOO this game gets fun

Iolo

Finally got all the black coins. This was a fun little game and well worth the $10 for the design. I hope Nintendo continues to do experiments like this because mechanics that work will undoubtedly seep into the mainline entries. Even though the bosses were trivial, it was interesting to beat them without a D-pad, as well as the platforming challenges. I only have about 1100 toads but I'll probably put the game down, as I don't have much inclination to grind out more.

Brakke

Banned
This is p specific but I got all the purple coins and bought the purple pipe. In that bonus level, I have no idea how to get the first coin. I need to somehow jump way higher than seems possible. Anybody got a tip?

Xemnas89

The joy of getting toads is only matched by the frustration of losing toads. I'm ok at a couple of the stages but more often than not I'll gain about 100 toads then lose 200. Just can't seem to break past 900 toads.

Gregtis

This is p specific but I got all the purple coins and bought the purple pipe. In that bonus level, I have no idea how to get the first coin. I need to somehow jump way higher than seems possible. Anybody got a tip?

From the top green pipe, jump as high as you can and grab the block to climb up. I'm guessing you didn't notice the block :).

Brakke

Banned
From the top green pipe, jump as high as you can and grab the block to climb up. I'm guessing you didn't notice the block :).

Oh!! Yeah I saw that block, I just kept hitting it from below. Didn't realize a clamber was possible. V tight timing.

Ninja Dom

Oh!! Yeah I saw that block, I just kept hitting it from below. Didn't realize a clamber was possible. V tight timing.

I don't climb that block, I wall bounce off that block to that highest area to get the first purple coin. Pretty easy to wall bounce off it.

Futureman

GF bought this on her iPhone. We also have it loaded on her iPad (both are signed into the same Apple account).

iPad is still saying I need to purchase the additional levels.

Should I delete the iPad app and redownload? Or will that not work?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
GF bought this on her iPhone. We also have it loaded on her iPad (both are signed into the same Apple account).

iPad is still saying I need to purchase the additional levels.

Should I delete the iPad app and redownload? Or will that not work?
Re-do the purchase and it will give you a message saying the download is free.

edit: I don't believe a Nintendo account is necessary since that's how non-consumable IAP works on other apps too, but you might make one anyway to be cautious.

watershed

Banned
I just realized the first time we had a game where mario ran automatically was in the NES Remix. Is that right? There were also the auto-runner canon levels in NSMB2 on the 3ds. But NES Remix seems like the first time it was surprising and novel to have Mario run automatically.

jts

...hate me...
Almost reached my red toad goal of 3500, doing mostly the sky level recentelly, which gives a 3/2 red/green ratio. After that I want to target the green ones only, are there Toad Rally levels that give out more green toads? I'm asking because I'm not past World 4 yet, so I still have 3 worlds of levels to unlock.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
This is a really well put together game- honestly I'm at the point where I don't even think about auto run- its different, but at its heart a good 2D Mario game.

Now raise the ****ing limit on rally tickets Nintendo!!

Future

Funny as how this is getting bad App Store reviews. It's like 2.5 outta 5 right now.

Hopefully they are making good money and this doesn't deter Nintendo for mobilizing some of their games. Seems like most of the disappointment is that it is a mobilized game, and not just a true Mario. When the funniest thing is that mobilizing is what you NEED to do to make a good game. The challenges in this are extremely well designed and it's nice to see this on mobile cuz you rarely do IMO

The only real flaw I have is with toad rally. Some stages just don't give enough variety in toads or give enough trick opportunity. So I find myself just doing airship all the time since it gives all the toads and has tons of jumps and vaults

Credo

I don't know how you people on my friends list are in the 5000+ score range. I can't even get over 500, and I find myself losing to people lower than that every now and then. I can't even get 50 yellow toads. Is there some kind of tip I'm missing out on for Toad Rallies? I'm clearly terrible and need all the help I can get.

jts

...hate me...
I don't know how you people on my friends list are in the 5000+ score range. I can't even get over 500, and I find myself losing to people lower than that every now and then. I can't even get 50 yellow toads. Is there some kind of tip I'm missing out on for Toad Rallies? I'm clearly terrible and need all the help I can get.
Airship over and over. Don't fret at the lost toads. You will learn the patterns, you will gain the muscle memory and the toads will be rolling in. Not to mention that the enemies give more points as you level them up.

Oh and Luigi also helps, but you might have to grind a bit with Mario before that.

jnWake

Airship over and over. Don't fret at the lost toads. You will learn the patterns, you will gain the muscle memory and the toads will be rolling in. Not to mention that the enemies give more points as you level them up.

Oh and Luigi also helps, but you might have to grind a bit with Mario before that.

Toad is definitely the best character for Rallies. More speed means more chances to reach star spots, especially in the airship stage. It just needs more practice because you can't screwup since Toad goes into bubble from 1 hit, unlike big Mario or big Luigi.

jts

...hate me...
Toad is definitely the best character for Rallies. More speed means more chances to reach star spots, especially in the airship stage. It just needs more practice because you can't screwup since Toad goes into bubble from 1 hit, unlike big Mario or big Luigi.
I'm sure Toad is very good after mastering him, but Luigi's 2-hit and especially his vertical jump and maneuverability makes it easier to use for me. Can pull upwards of 800 on a good run and then it won't matter which character is picked :p

That is, pre-completing World 4. Now I have completed World 4 and Airship can be tough as nails :/ Gonna stick with the sky level till I get my 2500 green toads.

Future

I'm sure Toad is very good after mastering him, but Luigi's 2-hit and especially his vertical jump and maneuverability makes it easier to use for me. Can pull upwards of 800 on a good run and then it won't matter which character is picked :p

That is, pre-completing World 4. Now I have completed World 4 and Airship can be tough as nails :/ Gonna stick with the sky level till I get my 2500 green toads.

Holy shit just unlocked Luigi. Is there any downside to him? Getting some of those black coins that required perfect Mario timing but easy Luigi timing with that extra height

jts

...hate me...
Holy shit just unlocked Luigi. Is there any downside to him? Getting some of those black coins that required perfect Mario timing but easy Luigi timing with that extra height
Nah, he's just a better Mario. Runs as fast and jumps higher and longer.

It's like unlocking an easier mode tbf :D

edit: I guess that's where the downside lies. You need Mario to get that tight platforming experience.

New version 1.0.2 came out today. Patch notes only say "Implemented feature improvements".

UI animations seem a bit faster, but that could just be placebo. Always-online requirement is still there.

jts

...hate me...
Had hopes that the update would fix the server errors even a little bit, but not really. Can't even see through a "Toad Tally" without errors popping up and obstructing the view :/

Would imagine this would get better 2 weeks on, guess not either.

m4st4

I've been playing this game for (at least) three-four hours per days since launch, I'd say it's more than worth the money I payed for it.

Dingotech

Had hopes that the update would fix the server errors even a little bit, but not really. Can't even see through a "Toad Tally" without errors popping up and obstructing the view :/

Would imagine this would get better 2 weeks on, guess not either.

That's interesting, I've had zero server disconnects while playing the game.

I'm currently stuck on level 2-3 black coins, and I'm going to try and unlock Luigi to help with it.

jts

...hate me...
That's interesting, I've had zero server disconnects while playing the game.

I'm currently stuck on level 2-3 black coins, and I'm going to try and unlock Luigi to help with it.
To be clear, I don't really get disconnects during the actual gameplay, I think the game plays offline and then in-between runs it syncs the information to the servers, as indicated by the bottom right spinning circle. It's in those occasions that I keep getting server errors. I just have to press "retry" but sometimes it's 3 or 4 errors in a row and gets annoying to keep pressing retry. Have no idea what could be causing it, if apparently the lot aren't getting this issue.

B62he1T.jpg

Just hit the 9999 Toads limit. Only thing left is to complete the Black Coins and it's a wrap. I'm assuming that the three above me have more Toads than I do but the game doesn't reflect Toad numbers beyond 9999.

pcUpVgPl.jpg

I reckon some may be able to guess which levels are my favorite to run in the Toad Rallies, based on how skewed the Toads are to certain colors. :p I used to grind around the Airship stage but not anymore.

Vb0erjwl.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Also reached the 9999 with just the coins to complete, but don't you need 2500 green toads to unlock one of the items?

I really like how the game builds on the wii/wiiu console games with it's emphasis on rhythmic and fast gameplay. Trying to get the purple and black coins really showcases the level design and craftmanship that went into this. Really worth the price. I hope they add some more content in the future like a new mode or a couple of levels.

FirewalkR

So, 2 days ago I got all coins and found out about the 3 special courses. Over about a hour and a half I tried to get all 5 black coins on Special Course 3. For almost the whole time I only managed to complete the course twice, with 2 and 3 coins.
Then, all of a sudden, 3 completions in a row, the last of which with all 5 coins. The section after grabbing the 4th coin was done with "little Luigi" and no bubbles. I couldn't believe when I was face to face with Bowser. That fool wasn't gonna take my 5 coin completion from me. :D

I never felt more hardcore lol.

tl;dr It wasn't THAT hard I guess, but felt good. :)

I need to return to this and get the coins for worlds 4 and 6, honestly after playing 3ds mario maker for the past week I prefer the quicker more instant gameplay of mario run, but that's me.

bumpkin

The 2500 Toad requirement for the 8 bit Luigi is a hair absurd. I was trying to go for it for a while, but me and a friend have been having a Toad total pissing contest until we both got 9,999. Now I can't risk losing any because he'll overtake me on my friend list ranking.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I wonder if performance issues on the iPhone 5/5c is a fixable thing or if it's just a limitation of the hardware. The multiple hitches per stage is a real killer of the game's flow.

bumpkin

I wonder if performance issues on the iPhone 5/5c is a fixable thing or if it's just a limitation of the hardware. The multiple hitches per stage is a real killer of the game's flow.
I've played it a bunch on my iPad Mini 2 and get hitches as well. They always happen at the worst possible times, too.

No hitches whatsoever on my iPhone 7 though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've played it a bunch on my iPad Mini 2 and get hitches as well. They always happen at the worst possible times, too.

I've said for months, if not years, that I was going to stick with my iPhone 5c until the dang thing literally stops functioning. I bought it at launch in 2013 so it's a little over three years old at this point.

Ironically a $10 Mario app is making me want to change my stance on that and just buy a new phone.

PtM

Banned
I've said for months, if not years, that I was going to stick with my iPhone 5c until the dang thing literally stops functioning. I bought it at launch in 2013 so it's a little over three years old at this point.

Ironically a $10 Mario app is making me want to change my stance on that and just buy a new phone.
It also works quite well on my 4S, but I use it without a card and have nothing allowed to push messages or similar shenanigans.

PtM

Banned
Is there a way to farm coins? I've done all of the solo stuff but just doing rally now
That and normal level runs, maybe with a good star placement.

Saayyy… That rally level with the piranha plants that's available in the demo, which one is it?

solaaire

Neo Member

On an iPad mini 2 as well and I think I have only experienced slowdown when there are a ton of coins on the screen during a coin rush. Not a huge deal but a little annoying.

On a different note, is there a way to see end credits? What are the requirements?

RowdyReverb

I finally bought Peach's cake and I think I'm done with the game. I grinded on the Airship level so many times it's almost automatic. 5760 toads. I got all the pink coins, but it was a bit frustrating, so I didn't go for purple or black.

$10 well spent.

Top Bottom