• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

Copenap

Finally on Android, got it immediately! Tutorial was already lots of fun, I strongly expect to be in the camp of the people really liking it.

L~A

Just got confirmation Super Mario Run DOES use SafetyNet, so if you're rooted/non-stock ROM, you're basically screwed (unless you use Magisk).

Really weird, since Pokémon GO and Fire Emblem Heroes also use SafetyNet, and I can run those just fine. Oh well, not really a loss for me.

correojon

Played a couple of levels, it really feels like a Mario game :) Enjoying it so far and there seems to be some challenge going after the colored coins. Instantly bought the full version, I loved Rayman mobile games and this seems to be on par so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah, but if your phone is STILL rooted/jailbroken, you can do stuff to make the game work (at least on iOS).

If you've previously rooted/jailbroken your device and then stopped doing it, THAT'S when you're screwed.

So Nintendo's DRM stuff doesn't actually punish the people they want to stop from playing their game.

I couldn't play this on my iPad because of their stupid DRM stuff. I didn't even do anything with my jailbroken iPad, I just wanted to get my Ds4 working on my iPad and then I never ended up using it, lol.

That doesn't make sense. I don't know about iOS, but at least on Android you can completely reverse root to where it's not detectable.

Jacobson

Can't play this, same as Fire Emblem and Pokemon Go. I previously rooted my phone, but I did a full unroot so I could encrypt my phone. It won't let me play the games since I don't pass the safetynet check, probably have some leftover root files. Normally I'd just flash a ROM to clean it, but since TWRP can't decrypt my goddamn phone, I have to do a factory reset before I can flash anything. So I said screw it, won't be playing these games.

Shiggy

Yeah, but to be fair, the value of games on phones has been damaged over time. People mostly want this for free.

While you're right that cheaper phone games do indeed offer more value than this game, it's also true on 3DS. There, I buy most of my (Nintendo-Publikum) games 6-12 months after launch for 10-20€ and even they have a lot more content. When there are a lot of great games at a similar or cheaper price, this is an easy pass for me.

If I had enjoyed the first world more, i would've considered buying the full game maybe for half the price. But after seeing what's there, I wouldn't even feel confident about that.

Honestly expected a bit more here.

nubbe

Well indeed. For an extra fiver, you can get New Super Mario on the Wii U, WITH its Super Luigi U expansion pack.

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the world population would need to buy a WiiU first to get the game

Statistically, no one owns a WiiU

Played a tiny bit of this yesterday on Android. It is fun, but the load times could be a bit better. Other than that it runs quite smooth on my phone.

Interfectum

Pretty fun so far. The question is if the full unlock is worth it. Many iOS players seem to not think so.

I bought it day one and I still bust it out to do some Rally runs if I'm in a waiting room or whatnot. The price is steep but the game is fun and lends itself to super quick plays.

Just cleared the black coins in 1-1. Shit was deceptively hard. Gives me hope for the replayability of getting all the coins in all the levels.

shandy706

Runs great on my Note.

I hate runners though. I will say this is the most "fun" I've had in a "runner".

No way I can put $10 on something like this though. Might bite at $5 or less...and that's pushing it.

I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed by this game. I really, really miss Sonic Runners now. I don't know exactly what it is about this one but the parkour-related moves don't feel right.

jnWake

IMO it's well worth the $10. There are few stages (24 iirc + some bonus ones) but each stage has 3 different sets of coins. If you're interested in the challenge of collecting the coins (it's pretty fun) then the $10 is more than worth it.

You also have Toad Rally which is very addictive and fun on its own.

Sapiens

Pretty fun so far. The question is if the full unlock is worth it. Many iOS players seem to not think so.

I payed for the unlock and I can say that:

1. 10 Dollars seems about fair
2. The core came is very fun and collecting all three levels of coins per level was fun and challenging.
3. I can't guarantee that it will play as lag and problem free on my iPhone 6S as it does on whatever android hardware you are using.

Many iOS players are also used to getting their games for free. The thought of "paying money" for a phone game probably seems like a foreign idea to them.

That is arguably a greater issue with people on the Android side.

Soroc

I honestly thought all android users would have technically gotten this game for free. I wonder how many android people arent' aware of the best app ever google rewards. I can't remember the last time I've actually used my own money on android to buy something.

The game runs silky smooth on my Note 6 and feels great honestly. I didn't really follow or read up on the game so the whole kingdom building was a nice surprise. 10 bucks doesn't seem like a lot for the quality and polish I've experienced so far.

atr0cious

Many iOS players are also used to getting their games for free. The thought of "paying money" for a phone game probably seems like a foreign idea to them.
The reviews on Google play are as bad. "Letting us play 4 of the 24 worlds without paying is robbery." These folks are so sad.

I honestly thought all android users would have technically gotten this game for free. I wonder how many android people arent' aware of the best app ever google rewards. I can't remember the last time I've actually used my own money on android to buy something.

The game runs silky smooth on my Note 6 and feels great honestly. I didn't really follow or read up on the game so the whole kingdom building was a nice surprise. 10 bucks doesn't seem like a lot for the quality and polish I've experienced so far.

Blew all my google opinions money on fire emblem. Bloody gacha games.

GeeTeeCee

It's just staying on the opening Nintendo logo endlessly for me. Anyone else had this happen?

EDIT: never mind, just had to force close the app and retry.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The reviews on Google play are as bad. "Letting us play 4 of the 24 worlds without paying is robbery." These folks are so sad.

There were similar reviews at launch on the App Store (and likely still are) and of course the oh-so hilarious Twitter responses.

I remember read things along the lines of "I was enjoying the game until I got to world 4 and the game asked me to pay. Deleted it immediately."

OmegaFax

what's this thing i heard about not working for rooted phones?

really nintendo? An exact repeat on the Miitomo and Pokemon Go situation?

Just got confirmation Super Mario Run DOES use SafetyNet, so if you're rooted/non-stock ROM, you're basically screwed (unless you use Magisk).

Really weird, since Pokémon GO and Fire Emblem Heroes also use SafetyNet, and I can run those just fine. Oh well, not really a loss for me.

Miitomo and Switch Parental Controls work fine with root. Fire Emblem Heroes and Super Mario Run will work initially but give you an error message if you try to open them again after closing them out. Pokemon Go is the strictest out of the bunch.

Magisk is the only way to get any of these apps working (and show up properly as supported devices on Google Play). You need to flash Magisk (because SuperSU does not work right with the root hiding function if you install Magisk's Play Store App on top of an existing SuperSU installation.

I have everything working right using MagiskSU (bundled with the Magisk flashable zip) and hiding root on anything Google Play related or installed apps that check for it. Even Android Pay worked! Magisk is incredibly easy to install if you have TWRP or some other custom recovery on your device. I'm running it on the latest 7.1.2 beta released by Google the other day. It probably won't work on Android O.

It's a damn shame that these restrictions are in place. It's more of a headache to the end user. I don't know how much "cheating" can go on. Since a lot of this stuff requires a server side connection, it doesn't seem like cheaters would last long anyway.

mantidor

Still not released in my area what is taking them so long? D:

This is an insta buy for me after playing on my iPad, I'm only worried the experience will be subpar in commute when the subway loses all signal, it can go up to a minute without any data in certain sections.

Edit: and look at it, it's now available!

I thought that registering would've give you a nice little message when it became available but no such thing happened.

Rellik

Google Rewards used to be good. It hasn't given me a single survey in 2017 and if you look at the user reviews, it's not just me.

nubbe

I.... I didn't expect the game to be this hard... (I aim for the purple coins)

Twitter lies.

I instinctively try to play it like a normal Mario game and that fails hard since you need to use the automatic movement to make momentums.

Hard to relearn how to play a Mario after 30 years

LordKano

It's very fun but I don't feel like paying that much money for a mobile game I'll play occasionnaly. Nothing wrong with the game in itself or the amount of content (you can clearly see how the mechanics are way deeper than in games like Rayman Jungle Run), but I'm just not ready to invest 10 bucks into something I'll play 5 minutes a day at best.

yatesl

Played the "demo" levels, got the purple coins.

It's OK, but really not worth £10 (and considering I've probably spent over £60 on Clash Royale, I understand that the mobile economy is warped).

duckroll

I waited until I cleared all the 4 free stages with all the first two tiers of bonus coins on every stage before buying this. Also played a bunch of Toad Rally. It's fun enough that I don't mine paying at this point. It's not exactly what I like out of Mario, but I don't really mind something different since I'm not a huge Mario fan anyway. In terms of a puzzle/timing tapping distraction, it's pretty well designed and has good production values.

Amy tips for the air ship levels. Cannon balls plus those jumping black guys (Ninji) are annoying. Especially as those are the levels in Toad Run that seem to have all 5 color Toads.

Speaking of which any Toad Run tips?

Copy ID gets this full message:

Player ID: 8915-1963-1237

Want to be friends in Super Mario Run?

Start up Super Mario Run and enter this player ID into the Friend List to become friends.

Want to be friends in Super Mario Run?

Just open this link with the latest version of Super Mario Run installed on your device!
(The link can be used only once and is valid for 14 days.)

Just downloaded and purchased on my Android. Please add me to your friends list, or post your player ID, and I'll add you!

Player ID:
8229-7643-4590

Went to add but we're already friendsm

I waited until I cleared all the 4 free stages with all the first two tiers of bonus coins on every stage before buying this. Also played a bunch of Toad Rally. It's fun enough that I don't mine paying at this point. It's not exactly what I like out of Mario, but I don't really mind something different since I'm not a huge Mario fan anyway. In terms of a puzzle/timing tapping distraction, it's pretty well designed and has good production values.

Yeah I actually went full 3 for the first and 2 for the rest before buying.

It is pricey unless you're like me and going for all the extra coins.

It's definitely a weird take on Mario but a very interesting one.

Can really get to you having to get all 5 coins in one run while always moving forward.

mantidor

It's pretty interesting what the game tries to do with Toad rally, it tries to emulate the pay for play model that permeates mobile gaming but using in-game currency, all the while giving you a pretty decent runner with tight mechanics and level design, and a cute castle to decorate by buying stuff :p feels like an experiment trying to touch all those staples of mobile gaming to test the players and find out what they like.

PtM

Banned
It's pretty interesting what the game tries to do with Toad rally, it tries to emulate the pay for play model that permeates mobile gaming but using in-game currency, all the while giving you a pretty decent runner with tight mechanics and level design, and a cute castle to decorate by buying stuff :p feels like an experiment trying to touch all those staples of mobile gaming to test the players and find out what they like.
Toad rally is basically games as a service lite.

Hey thanks Mario Run for telling me Toad Rally has a cap of 99 on tickets. You've been giving them out like candy so I didn't think anything of it.

Luckily they seem easy enough to get back with those daily rewards.

Robin64

Hey thanks Mario Run for telling me Toad Rally has a cap of 99 on tickets. You've been giving them out like candy so I didn't think anything of it.

Luckily they seem easy enough to get back with those daily rewards.

I only do Toad Rally a few times a day, and I am never not at 99. It's weird to have a currency and a cap, when they just let you sit there unless you go absolutely bonkers.

Top Bottom