• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

Dinjoralo

Is anyone getting loud audio glitches? Cuz that's happening for me, and its annoying.

And this releasing has me wanting to check out Miitomo again... Anyone actually still use that? :p

Is anyone getting loud audio glitches? Cuz that's happening for me, and its annoying.

And this releasing has me wanting to check out Miitomo again... Anyone actually still use that? :p

I do daily, I even put in money occasionally It's funny, my friend's list is over 950 but only about 18 max answer the Question of the Day.

duckroll

Ok I'm pretty disappointed reproducing the picture of "a kingdom's past" doesn't give you anything.

Wait what? I thought that was the point of the picture? I've been working towards that. Why would they show something like that if it didn't mean anything? ??????

Ok I'm pretty disappointed reproducing the picture of "a kingdom's past" doesn't give you anything.
Same, I thought for sure you'd get something. :(

I finally got every coin in every level. It was easier than I anticipated but there were a few levels that almost made me go crazy.

I really liked this game, and can see myself playing it daily because of the Toad Ralley. I'm currently trying to get more purple and yellow toads to unlock more things in the shop, and I'm only missing one of the characters to play as too.

mantidor

Wait what? I thought that was the point of the picture? I've been working towards that. Why would they show something like that if it didn't mean anything? ??????

Seriously.

I don't know if its because my castle its still not at max level, it still has some construction logs by the side, which don't appear in the picture, is the only difference.

Edit: I reached level 15, the castle seems to be at its max now, it changed into a bigger castle (bigger than the one in the picture actually) with no logs or bricks at the side, and nothing really happened besides that, I guess that picture of kingdom's past is just there to compare your new giant kingdom to the old one.

Robin64

Some new items up.

aXxsyjC.png

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm terrible at this. only the first world i can get all the purple coins. still though this is the only game i have on my phone. i'm not usually a fan of playing games on my phone but this is fun. will definitely buy the rest of it but don't even have £10 to spare atm :(

Robin64

There's a notification that the Gold Goomba event has returned to Tour Mode (for those who weren't here before, they add golden goombas to levels, which you find and kill to earn points for more pointless kingdom builder stuff).

But when I go to Tour Mode, nothing shows.

Edit: Maybe I'm mistaken and it listed a start date, but I can't check because I see no way to open Notifications again.

Edit2: Ahh, March 30th.

The Gold Goombas Mega Event is coming back on iOS, and will be available for the first time on Android. During that event, you will be able to get bonus coins by defeating Gold Goombas found in the various World Tour levels, but also some surprises if you defeat a lot of them (you can click here for more details, from the previous run of this event). This second run of the Gold Goombas Mega Event will be from March 30th to April 13th
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/super-mario-run-latest-content-update/

Also don't forget there's a "Log in every day" event on right now.

March 24th: 1 000 Coins
March 25th: 10 Rally Tickets
March 26th: Red Pipe A
March 27th: 500 Coins
March 28th: Red Flowering Bush
March 29th: 5 Rally Tickets
March 30th: 500 Coins
March 31st: Purple Toad House
April 1st: 5 Rally Tickets
April 2nd: Acorn Tree
April 3rd: 500 Coins
April 4th: 5 Rally Tickets
April 5th: 500 Coins
April 6th: Super Star Statue

As someone who brought a DS for for NSMB and a 3DS for 3D Land this is an incredibly boring game.

Installed yesterday, played the trial levels today, deleted it. £10 is a real real real stretch, no wonder they were disappointed by it.

mantidor

As someone who brought a DS for for NSMB and a 3DS for 3D Land this is an incredibly boring game.

Installed yesterday, played the trial levels today, deleted it. £10 is a real real real stretch, no wonder they were disappointed by it.

If you only had access to the first three levels of either of those games would you have still bought them afterwards?

Early levels are a bore for any Mario veteran all the time.

The game is still too short, if you don't enjoy Toad Rally and decorating your kingdom the game is probably not for you.

taybul

Are you collecting all the coins (pink, purple, black) in the world tour? They add on some challenge and even change the level composition a bit. Me, I've been mostly playing rally and just do tour to open up some new levels for it.

krae_man

Im really enjoying the game so far. Just wish enemies would respawn if you bubble bsckwards enough. Hate having to restart a level because I miss timed a bounce off an enemy required for a coin.

Some of the toad rally level can be really frustrating. Make a mistake and you're fucked, then you get careless and break the bubble over a death pit.

Pulling off all the jumps and getting a yellow star feels really good though.

atr0cious

Just got to the 1-4 castle and was immediately impressed with the mechanic switch up, almost overwhelmed on the first try. Never really play runners so don't know how fresh they are, but the game is satisfying to play, a little more than the console versions for me, which bore me to sleep.

Added everyone in the thread, let's be friends.

4220-4759-2623

Robin64

The Golden Goomba event is live again now. You need to kill 20 Goombas to finish a Stamp Card, and there are four cards.

Prizes are:

Dandelion
Piranha Plant Statue
Dandelion x 3
Cherry Blossom Tree

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This game turned out to be surprisingly good and addictive. Already got every special coin in the first 3 worlds, and plan on doing the same in the other half of the game. It's really fun, and the gameplay feels great. Definitely one of the best auto-runners I've played. Toad Rally grabbed me too, and I already have nearly 2000 toads (which isn't much, because one unlock requires 9999, but it's a start).

I'll start adding people who put their ID in this thread. Here's mine, feel free to add me: 8979-2652-2534.

Invited those who weren't already friends.

Toad Run to me essentially falls down to whether you get the invincibility star or not. Hence why Ghost Houses for me are now go through rooms as fast as possible to reach the one with the red ring.

Trying to play more and more Toad Rally. If you do the bonus games regularly you'll get an average of ten tickets a day. Just unlock Toadette. Been using Toad so hopefully she's the same.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Invited those who weren't already friends.

Toad Run to me essentially falls down to whether you get the invincibility star or not. Hence why Ghost Houses for me are now go through rooms as fast as possible to reach the one with the red ring.

Trying to play more and more Toad Rally. If you do the bonus games regularly you'll get an average of ten tickets a day. Just unlock Toadette. Been using Toad so hopefully she's the same.
I'm a fan of level 2-4 (airship). On my best runs, I can get several stars by touching the ground as little as possible (jumping on cannonballs, enemies and doing crazy flips everywhere) and end up with 450 points or more (which may not be much, but at first I sucked pretty bad at that level, so to me it's a big improvement). It's really fun!

Toadette has an ability where she will convert some opponent Toads into your Toads before the final tally.
That's great, hoping to unlock her soon then.

B00TE

I'm a fan of level 2-4 (airship). On my best runs, I can get several stars by touching the ground as little as possible (jumping on cannonballs, enemies and doing crazy flips everywhere) and end up with 450 points or more (which may not be much, but at first I sucked pretty bad at that level, so to me it's a big improvement). It's really fun!

Similar thing for me. Love when it comes up in Toad Rally now, I feel like I can blow through parts of it without ever touching the ground.

mantidor

Toadette has an ability where she will convert some opponent Toads into your Toads before the final tally.

I was wondering what was her especial ability, the descriptions of every character tell you what each one does except for hers, and playing with her is dangerous because she is not a big jumper or fast runner and mushrooms don't do anything for her, she is insta-death.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just got a new phone and Super Mario Run is...well, running so much better on it. No random hitches and slowdown mid-game.

Here's my ID: 9172-2765-8889

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Finally scooped up all the black coins in Tour mode. Do I get anything for completing the black pipe stage other than the satisfaction of doing so?

I thought I would love this game. I had my credit card ready to buy it. But I can't stand so many things about it. The auto-jump is awful.
It's weird. I love Mario games. Every single Mario game except for this one is my favourite.

Oh well. It's not a big deal. I know Nintendo will make more great Mario games but I guess I shouldn't have hyped myself up.

solaaire

Neo Member
I thought I would love this game. I had my credit card ready to buy it. But I can't stand so many things about it. The auto-jump is awful.
It's weird. I love Mario games. Every single Mario game except for this one is my favourite.

Oh well. It's not a big deal. I know Nintendo will make more great Mario games but I guess I shouldn't have hyped myself up.

That's a bummer. I'm a huge mario fan and really enjoyed Run. The auto-jump is kinda weird and off-putting at first, but vaulting off of enemies while you're auto jumping can be pretty satisfying and ultimately changes how you approach certain scenarios.

i would really suggest doing all of the content available in the demo (collecting all of the black coins) if you haven't yet. Just blowing through the levels is not where the fun is to be had for long time mario fans imo.

Finally scooped up all the black coins in Tour mode. Do I get anything for completing the black pipe stage other than the satisfaction of doing so?

If there is something, I haven't discovered it!

Durden77

I think that's what it is. Just free practice I guess.

Well I also don't really get Toad Rally in general, or at least the PVP aspect of it. Who are these people I'm playing and what "ghost" am I racing? Just their highest score? And what constitutes what color toads there will be?

Oh and it says to unlock stages in Rally I have to buy it but I'm playing all the stages through other people.

PtM

Banned
Well I also don't really get Toad Rally in general, or at least the PVP aspect of it. Who are these people I'm playing and what "ghost" am I racing? Just their highest score? And what constitutes what color toads there will be?

Oh and it says to unlock stages in Rally I have to buy it but I'm playing all the stages through other people.
You're only playing remixes of 1-1 with another level of the same theme. Hence why you're only getting red Toads. Your opponents are random. If you fail to win at first, the retry may be against a lower scored ghost, if there is one. All if my observations are correct.

With unlocking and beating 1-4, you get access to the next three level themes, also apparently consisting of remixes of two levels each. Underground gives red and blue Toads, sky levels give red and green, castles give red, blue and green.

Stupid question alert: how do you buy the game? Downloaded it on Android and I'm not seeing a "buy game" option. Started the game and it just threw me in to the first level like it's a completely free app. Do you have to get through the first few levels before you're prompted?

Really loved what I played and I'd like have the whole thing. Apologies if this has already been asked.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Stupid question alert: how do you buy the game? Downloaded it on Android and I'm not seeing a "buy game" option. Started the game and it just threw me in to the first level like it's a completely free app. Do you have to get through the first few levels before you're prompted?

Really loved what I played and I'd like have the whole thing. Apologies if this has already been asked.

On IOS I bought the full game within the game, i'm not sure its the same on Android, but i'm assuming so.

There's a notification that the Gold Goomba event has returned to Tour Mode (for those who weren't here before, they add golden goombas to levels, which you find and kill to earn points for more pointless kingdom builder stuff).

But when I go to Tour Mode, nothing shows.

Edit: Maybe I'm mistaken and it listed a start date, but I can't check because I see no way to open Notifications again.

Edit2: Ahh, March 30th.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/super-mario-run-latest-content-update/

Also don't forget there's a "Log in every day" event on right now.
Wait wait wait, why does a pay game need a log in every day event.

Why can't I just log in and get all of that... I don't want to play Super Mario Run everyday...

mantidor

Wait wait wait, why does a pay game need a log in every day event.

Why can't I just log in and get all of that... I don't want to play Super Mario Run everyday...

Just opening the game will give you gifts, you don't need to play. As for the gold goombas rewards, you do need to play tour mode.

On IOS I bought the full game within the game, i'm not sure its the same on Android, but i'm assuming so.

Yeah I'm an idiot - loaded up the game again, finished the tutorial and the purchase screen is right there within the app. Apologies for being an idiot! At £10 the game seems pretty pricey, but I am tempted as I've liked what I've played.

For those that have completed it, worth the money?

Chopper

Yeah I'm an idiot - loaded up the game again, finished the tutorial and the purchase screen is right there within the app. Apologies for being an idiot! At £10 the game seems pretty pricey, but I am tempted as I've liked what I've played.

I've got my money's worth and I'm not even close to unlocking everything.

PtM

Banned

Only if you're a completionist type.

Oersted

I don't think anyone here has fully completed it. You are supposed to collect 5 coins and when you got all of them in a level, new coins come. They are at more or less different places and the level design slightly changes along with that.

Thats where the biggest value, the replayvalue, comes from. If you like stuff like that, you are gonna get your money worth.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't think anyone here has fully completed it. You are supposed to collect 5 coins and when you got all of them in a level, new coins come. They are at more or less different places and the level design slightly changes along with that.

Thats where the biggest value, the replayvalue, comes from. If you like stuff like that, you are gonna get your money worth.

I collected all the coins in all the stages, so that's not quite true. :p

I won't consider myself finished until I hit 9999 Toads and have purchased all the unlockable special buildings though.

Top Bottom