• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run will get a content update and a 50% sale

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Is there an app which offers that? But no, only progress gets transferred.
Any mobile game that I've worked on that offers account/profile syncing.

To be more clear, if I downloaded (Insert game I've recently worked on) on my Android phone, leveled up a character, bought some premium currency, did some purchases with it, etc, synced my account to the cloud, then downloaded the game on my iPad, synced my account with the profile on the cloud, my iPad version of the game would be the same.

The way this isn't abused, is that since the game has to be constantly online, you can't have both of your devices playing the game at the same time. It sends constant checks, and will tell you, "This game is currently being played on another device."

I just wanted to know if Mario Run, functions the same way. Because if it does, I'd buy it during this sale, otherwise, I'm not interested in buying it multiple times for each of my mobile devices.

Mario Run is one of the best mobile games in the market. Played Toad Run for weeks. It’s still fun to come back to.
Easy to recommend at that price

PillarEN

$5 is right for me being a Mario fan that knows this has the Nintendo certification of quality. I'm in even though I still disagree with having to be connected online (unless I overlooked that that is no longer the case).

Compsiox

Banned
I wish this were a real mario game. I never thought that an on-rails Mario platformer would see the light of day.

Any mobile game that I've worked on that offers account/profile syncing.

To be more clear, if I downloaded (Insert game I've recently worked on) on my Android phone, leveled up a character, bought some premium currency, did some purchases with it, etc, synced my account to the cloud, then downloaded the game on my iPad, synced my account with the profile on the cloud, my iPad version of the game would be the same.

The way this isn't abused, is that since the game has to be constantly online, you can't have both of your devices playing the game at the same time. It sends constant checks, and will tell you, "This game is currently being played on another device."

I just wanted to know if Mario Run, functions the same way. Because if it does, I'd buy it during this sale, otherwise, I'm not interested in buying it multiple times for each of my mobile devices.

Yes it works this way. Buy once everything is synced.

PaulLFC

Wanted to buy this before a flight in the near future, but since it has to be always online, it's pointless. Stupid decision from Nintendo, absolutely no reason for a single player game to require a constant connection. Even a 24 hour check would have been manageable, but no. Ridiculous.

Ninja Dom

Wanted to buy this before a flight in the near future, but since it has to be always online, it's pointless. Stupid decision from Nintendo, absolutely no reason for a single player game to require a constant connection. Even a 24 hour check would have been manageable, but no. Ridiculous.

It’s an anti-piracy method. The Nintendo or DeNA servers constantly check the integrity of the game from the smartphone.

That’s just an explanation of why it’s constantly requiring an online connection.

PaulLFC

It’s an anti-piracy method. The Nintendo or DeNA servers constantly check the integrity of the game from the smartphone.

That’s just an explanation of why it’s constantly requiring an online connection.
I realise why the check is there, but it doesn't need to be constant. Plenty of mobile games have a check once every 24 hours or even longer. That would allow for "checking in" before boarding a flight or an underground train and still being able to play.

I'll definitely check this out again. Downloaded it before and I did enjoy it, but nowhere near enough to spend £10 upgrading to the full version!

StereoVsn

Until people realize the Nintendo still has an online only DRM feature
This is annoying as hell. It also really only deters sales since I doh this is the game pirates will suddenly target if the check is once every day or two vs constant.

Also, the whole IAL setup is annoying since that means I have to buy it twice if I want this on my daughters account (can share purchases but not IAP). If there was a free version with upgrade options and separately a paid one, it would be much better.

Anyway, I will probably grab this for my kid's iPad on sale.

I downloaded this awhile back when it launched on Android. Played once, and immediately bounced.

BUT. After seeing this thread, I decided to give it a second chance. I updated the game, played a bit, and now I actually really like it. I'll definitely be buying the full version for $5, especially with the new content they're adding.

Anti-piracy is a stupid decision.

it goes beyond anti-piracy..

you can't even launch SM Run (or Pokemon Go) on devices that failed safetynet (rooted, unlocked bootloader).

I have to resort to using Magiskhide to workaround it.

i can understand for bank apps using safetynet for root detection. But a mario game? C'mon nintendo, gimme a break!

Tyeforce

It's also 50% off too according to the IAP listings on the App Store. New thread/OT time?
Yeah, I’m surprised that there’s not a new thread, or even an old OT bump.

I’m loving the new update! But damn, some of these challenges to unlock the World Star levels are really tough!

low-G

I bought it at $5. It really is very good (and I must say so) for what it is. That said it's a better game than all the standard New Super Mario Bros series because of all the original ideas & gameplay in this that NSMB is devoid of. So that ain't bad for $5.

It does specifically have depth that NSMB does not, and it's more fun too.

Shiggy

In the end, I just bought it because there was also a Paypal promotion with Google Play which brought the price down to EUR 3.49. Don't think it's a particularly good game, but I'll try to get all coins I guess.

Huh, this is a really cute addition. Peach running with her fist bump is pretty funny and the music is fun as well.

I like how they implemented switching on and off your own music in the game even putting headphones on the characters.

FaintDeftone

The 9 new stages are locked behind challenges that you must complete. Most of them are really difficult to unlock, making the majority of these stages content that I'll probably never get to play. That's a bummer.

Remix10 is kinda cool though.

I bought it at $5. It really is very good (and I must say so) for what it is. That said it's a better game than all the standard New Super Mario Bros series because of all the original ideas & gameplay in this that NSMB is devoid of. So that ain't bad for $5.

It does specifically have depth that NSMB does not, and it's more fun too.

What are you talking about?

Does anyone know if this happens to be updated to run on the nVidia Shield or other android tv boxes? I would love to couch game this thing!

data

In the end, I just bought it because there was also a Paypal promotion with Google Play which brought the price down to EUR 3.49. Don't think it's a particularly good game, but I'll try to get all coins I guess.
where do you find that offer?

I tried this game when it first released and for some reason just shrugged it off as another runner and deleted. With the news of the sale and content update i re-downloaded it the other day and went through getting all types of coins on the four starter lvls and started to really like the game. There is a lot more to it than first seems aparent and it plays and looks great on a phone. My 4 year old son also saw me play it and now loves to have a go. He even completed a level without easy mode and laughed everytime he heard "mario number one" and would mimic him which was adorable.

Anyway i bought this in sale and its easily worth the price. The new content is really fun as well. The 10 random mini levels in a row with nintendo mario rave music playing lol.

This game turned out way better than i initially gave it credit for.

oti

Banned
I wanted to buy it anyway but thanks to a PayPal coupon and some money in my Google Play wallet (thank you, surveys) I got it for 1 Euro.

Yeah.

Nintendo won.

Yeah, I’m surprised that there’s not a new thread, or even an old OT bump.

I’m loving the new update! But damn, some of these challenges to unlock the World Star levels are really tough!

Still have no idea how you're meant to defeat 20 Ninji in one of the levels. Avoiding Goombas in 1-1 was tough enough!

So, I might just be dumb...but could someone explain to me how to play your own music while playing the game please? Every time I launch the game it mutes my music. Should I be playing my music in another app besides Google Play Music?

EDIT: I don't know how I haven't drowned in a puddle. You literally just have to pull down on the status bar and hit the play button on your music. Sorry, GAF :p.

LordOfChaos

More worlds, half price, Nintendo polish. This is actually the first mobile game I just paid money for.

Ends up being 8 CAD after tax, still ok.

Ivan 3414

Seems like they've changed some game mechanics as well. Every character has a baby form now and you can generate coin rush meter faster

Lazaro

I really like Remix 10. I prefer this experience compared to the normal Tour runs.

Also fuck Android and it's stupid touch/digitizer latency. I'm sticking to the iOS version.

Scarecrow

I remember why I didn’t enjoy my time with this. I have connection issues half the time. I playa course and it spends the next few minutes giving me connection error messages.

Top Bottom