• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Seducer no longer releasing on PS4, possibly due to pressure from Vice Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

notaskwid

We won't truncate free speech in the forum. However, take this as a text book example of what baiting is. Accusations with no base and contributing nothing of meaning. Remember the ignore function exists so use it wisely.
Good by Sony. PUA culture is terrible and has no business being propagated. Gotta love the gamer gate tinfoil hat twist on this thread.

ilfait

Good by Sony. PUA culture is terrible and has no business being propagated. Gotta love the gamer gate tinfoil hat twist on this thread.

The majority of the people here aren't GamerGate affiliated. Nice try though.
Maybe not the majority, but I personally use the tips that I've learned from Super Seducer to get bitches back to my apartment where I tell them how gamergate was all about ethics in journalism while I dispassionately fuck them from behind so I can watch underage hentai at the same time. Then I smoke a cigar, talk about how digusting trannies are, and we harass Anita Sarkeesian together for a bit before I tell the bitch to leave 'cause I've gotta get up early so I can be paid twice as much as her.

jadedm17

Ok this is just stupid. HE NEVER ENCOURAGES HARASSMENT. He always reminds the player to be respectful. He talks about how "controling" the conversations but not to make anyone uncomfortable but to make them feel better. He tells you to never send dick pics etc. It is more for social awkward people trying to get a conversation going. Which may or may not end in a friendship or a relationship.

There are 10 scenes and one of them end in a sexual way. Rest is getting their number, asking for a date etc. Maybe you should play the game first before judging on badly full of lies articles.

I've watched Boogie2988 play it for three days.

I've seen him encourage stupid things like ruining a book's ending to a girl in a coffee shop.
In what world is meeting a new person and then telling them the end of what they're enjoying a good thing?

The whole game is full of ridiculous things like that; Other times he encourages lying or challenging someone's personal beliefs within moments of meeting them.

The whole thing is disgusting even if it was satire - Which to Richard, it very much is not.

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned

I've seen him encourage stupid things like ruining a book's ending to a girl in a coffee shop.
In what world is meeting a new person and then telling them the end of what they're enjoying a good thing?

The whole game is full of ridiculous things like that; Other times he encourages lying or challenging someone's personal beliefs within moments of meeting them.

The whole thing is disgusting even if it was satire - Which to Richard, it very much is not.

Telling the ending to a book? Challenging someones belief? OMG - SHUT IT DOWN REEEEEeeeeeeeeeee

1520488002495.png

Last edited:

Dunki

First of all this is not harasment and secondly he never tells you to lie but rather not tell it if its boring for her or it would hurt her. He mostly tells you to stay honest and that if you think something stupid not to tell her. And of course anyone should challenge someone in a good conversation? Here is one advice. You do not have to agree to everything a women says. You also can challenge her to explain why she is passionate about something. Like in the Cafe scene with the teacher.

Seriously if you think that a normal conversation is disgusting then maybe you are the one who has problems.

Last edited:

Dunki

Is this just an interactive PUA handbook?
I have never read one but there are some PUA routines as he calls it in there like trying to open a conversation about you seeking a present for your friend/sister etc and asking what you could do. But he also says these can be good but never are the best option. But there are also some advice about how to continue a conversation (for social awkward people) and he also says that this does not have to lead in a realtionship but mabye friendship getting to know a new social circle etc.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was playing Crackdown with my son. He ran 15 pedestrians over on accident...what a monster. The developers basically advocate murder. Just makes me sick MS would allow a game with police running over innocent people to be on Xbox.

I have never read one but there are some PUA routines as he calls it in there like trying to open a conversation about you seeking a present for your friend/sister etc and asking what you could do. But he also says these can be good but never are the best option. But there are also some advice about how to continue a conversation (for social awkward people) and he also says that this does not have to lead in a realtionship but mabye friendship getting to know a new social circle etc.

Okay. You seem to know more about this than me. To you, does this come off more as instructions and teaching or entertainment like a visual novel?

Dunki

Okay. You seem to know more about this than me. To you, does this come off more as instructions and teaching or entertainment like a visual novel?
I played the whole game and it is a teaching thing with also really silly and hilarious choices he put in there for fun (showing randomly your dick) but then also tells you should never do in real life etc.

But it is never predatory. He always tells you to respect the women, to not randomly touch her, to not talk about physical preferenes (body), to stay honest etc. In fact would say that this is great in combination with the #metoo movement because it tells you how to respect women, to talk to women in the right way. Some of it can also be some advice for more social awkward people to be honest.

And another thing. He makes it also clear that the place matters and how you should talk to a women during the day in a cafe, or a street and how you can be a little more "direct" flirting in a club for example.

Last edited:

Ragnaroz

I've never even heard of this game, and probably never would have. Thanks to SJWs creating controversy around it, I found out about the game, and it looks really funny so I'm probably gonna buy it. Good job, Vice and era.

Last edited:

God Enel

Didn't follow the thread but To be honest nothing of value was lost. Was watching it on stream and it was quite funny.. but nothing that's imho worth buying or playworthy. You can say shit like when the girl owns a dog that you're interested in dogfights or sexual intercourse with dogs (if i remember right) and stuff like that. More than lul or cringe isn't going to happen.
About banning this shit. Wtf? It's harmless fun imho. Everyone who's taking this stuff seriously what the hell is wrong with you.

Kadayi

Banned
I can very much see this games steam review section being a great avenue for some 3 Wolves T-Shirt action

Link1110

Telling the ending to a book? Challenging someones belief? OMG - SHUT IT DOWN REEEEEeeeeeeeeeee

1520488002495.png
This is the internet. Go in any game thread and spoil said game and see how insanely over the top people react.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

Some of the comments in this thread are fucking gross. No room for in this industry for games like this. Good riddance. Here are some paras from a review in the verge. And I don't wanna be 'that guy', because yeah: I haven't played it. But after reading so many consistently shit reviews, I feel like I have to.

(https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/5/17062064/super-seducer-game-me-too)

"Later in the chapter, after your friend has broken up with her boyfriend, she comes to your apartment. “I thought he was the right person to be my husband,” she says. “Mm. Not now, right?” replies La Ruina, before cracking open a bottle of “good” $12 wine and making a move on her. Before long, he’s pulled a condom out of his shoe (…) and successfully had sex with his emotionally vulnerable friend"

"You’re given several different options for how to proceed, but the “correct” one, according to Super Seducer, is to ask the woman if she’s going to marry her boyfriend, and later if he would mind if he found out she’d talked to you. Once you select this option, the game cuts to a video of a bearded man sitting on a bed with two scantily clad women lounging wordlessly beside him. This is Super Seducer’s creator, Richard La Ruina, and he tells you you’ve chosen wisely.

“This works psychologically because you’re taking away her independence,” he says, smirking. “You’re saying, ‘Well, would he allow you to talk to me? Are you allowed to do that?’” Naturally, he continues, she’ll want to push back on this and assert that she’s allowed to do as she pleases. In essence, he’s advising you to make a woman feel like she’s in control, while manipulating her into giving you exactly what you want."

Last edited:

abracadaver

Is this game in danger on Steam?

Will have to buy it before they remove it

Edit: just bought it.

Last edited:

Dunki

Some of the comments in this thread are fucking gross. No room for in this industry for games like this. Good riddance. Here are some paras from a review in the verge. And I don't wanna be 'that guy', because yeah: I haven't played it. But after reading so many consistently shit reviews, I feel like I have to.

"Later in the chapter, after your friend has broken up with her boyfriend, she comes to your apartment. “I thought he was the right person to be my husband,” she says. “Mm. Not now, right?” replies La Ruina, before cracking open a bottle of “good” $12 wine and making a move on her. Before long, he’s pulled a condom out of his shoe (…) and successfully had sex with his emotionally vulnerable friend"

"You’re given several different options for how to proceed, but the “correct” one, according to Super Seducer, is to ask the woman if she’s going to marry her boyfriend, and later if he would mind if he found out she’d talked to you. Once you select this option, the game cuts to a video of a bearded man sitting on a bed with two scantily clad women lounging wordlessly beside him. This is Super Seducer’s creator, Richard La Ruina, and he tells you you’ve chosen wisely.

“This works psychologically because you’re taking away her independence,” he says, smirking. “You’re saying, ‘Well, would he allow you to talk to me? Are you allowed to do that?’” Naturally, he continues, she’ll want to push back on this and assert that she’s allowed to do as she pleases. In essence, he’s advising you to make a woman feel like she’s in control, while manipulating her into giving you exactly what you want."
Ok maybe you should play these scenes before

The first one; It is a friend situation yes but she also shows clear signs. She wants to feel better in this situation and there is nothing forceful in this scene. Secondly if you get the best option for this situation you always see the scene with these women in lingerie n the be. If you chose a ok option they will be sitting on the bed in a dress. It is visual sign of your success.

For the second scene which by the way it is the same. It is definetly are more agrressive method but not a harmful one. She also says there are some problems right now and the take away your independence part is about. If your friend allowing to talk to other man etc.

Seriously maybe some of you should spend the 10 euro or watch a playthrough of these scenes before trying to comment how misogynistic this game is.....

bosnianpie

Sony has the right to put whatever they want on their service but I don't see the big deal about a game like this to be honest. Many of us has spent the last couple of months shooting, burning, choking and kicking enemies to death in games released on Sonys platforms and this is the red line that they don't want to cross? I understand that they want to avoid the shitstorm but if Sony want to take some moral position then there is a whole bunch of games they should remove from PSN.

daibaron

Banned
Why not forbidding the pua techniques books and burn them on piles in the strets? Maybe even sending some puas to jail for a couple of weeks to teach them some manners.

The sad truth (or perhaps not sad depending on your artistry level) is that their simple, basic and animalistic techniques are sucessfull and most women are attracted by it.
The real artistry is in saying things and applying methods that most women will not understand, find boring and confusing. But the best women, the ones that are worth getting, will get your message and that you are a higher level man than most. This elevates a basic life aspect to a higher level of artform but restricting significantly your audience.
But for some guy and girl who just want some simple fun under the sheets without much hassle this pua stuff works well.
Would you be surprised to hear that having the phrase "You come you suck and you go" in your profile actually works with women, i know i was.

Snoopycat

Banned
It's a good thing Sony took a stand against this crap. The philosophy behind the game which reduces women to mindless robots and encourages men to be manipulative creeps is not a good thing.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned

Yes, let's call each other 'gross', that always makes for a productive discussion.

TannerDemoz

Take this as an example of how not to frame your argument. Seperate what the media report and latest buzzwords/movements. This is not a learning tool or 'How to prey on women 101'. It's just a video game that has a very niche target audience.
Yes, let's call each other 'gross', that always makes for a productive discussion.

Comments supporting this game are hardly forming a 'productive' discussion. GAF's gone to hell.

WaterAstro

Comments supporting this game are hardly forming a 'productive' discussion. GAF's gone to hell.
So are you this?

rNQC1.png

or this?

iJciZAY.jpg

Because you either support social ineptitude of men's ability to talk to women in a gentlemen's fashion, or you don't know what you are talking about without having played the game.

Mahadev

You do realize you're lobbying for agreement not "productive discussion" right? Btw the internet gives you freedom to do whatever you want, we're not keeping you here. Stop making consecutive posts about how terrible the forum is for allowing difference of opinion and leave if you don't like it. Unless your ultimate goal is to influence the forum to reinstate "productive discussion" aka MODS HELP!

Btw this game is fucking dumb, still pissed PSN removed it though.

Petrae

So having a different opinion than yours is unproductive?

I’ve seen worse shit than this in bars, in reality. This game is just freaking silly. Like any multiple-outcome game like this (Again, Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties is a close relative), it’s interesting/humorous to pick the obviously wrong answers, if only to see how the scenario plays out. Perhaps it’s wrong to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I’d like to think that guys aren’t quite SO stupid as to attempt some of these options in reality.

If you want to argue that the game is in poor taste, that’s fine. The argument here is that a gaming press outlet shouldn’t be playing a role in a movement to keep a game from being released. Imagine how today’s gaming press would’ve reacted to PS2 Grand Theft Auto games— or Leisure Suit Larry— or other games that portray women in a vulnerable light. We might not have seen these games, either, and it’s worth wondering what game will be the next one to land in the crosshairs of a now-activist gaming press corps.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
I bet ResetEra users must be burning fireworks and running victory laps over this. Liberalism is a disease. It’s destroying freedom of expression. It will ruin gaming forever.

daibaron

Banned

I’ve seen worse shit than this in bars, in reality. This game is just freaking silly. Like any multiple-outcome game like this (Again, Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties is a close relative), it’s interesting/humorous to pick the obviously wrong answers, if only to see how the scenario plays out. Perhaps it’s wrong to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I’d like to think that guys aren’t quite SO stupid as to attempt some of these options in reality.

If you want to argue that the game is in poor taste, that’s fine. The argument here is that a gaming press outlet shouldn’t be playing a role in a movement to keep a game from being released. Imagine how today’s gaming press would’ve reacted to PS2 Grand Theft Auto games— or Leisure Suit Larry— or other games that portray women in a vulnerable light. We might not have seen these games, either, and it’s worth wondering what game will be the next one to land in the crosshairs of a now-activist gaming press corps.

I have seen guys attempting these so called stupid options and way worse. Their sucess rate is a lot higher than you would expect. Many women like it because they find it entartaining, funny and genuine. Many women just want some simple fun under the sheets without pseudo intelectualizing and complicating everything. Look at Tinder, simple and easy to get laid, just straight to the point sex and lots of women love it.

The majority of the people here aren't GamerGate affiliated. Nice try though.
You're maybe missing the context here, which is that the opening post 'article' that started this whole business is from KotakuInAction, the "almost-official Gamergate subreddit." So yeah, this whole thing was a Gator conspiracy theory from the get-go. (It's also why the mod criticism was wrong, because the justification for the accusation is there -- though I'll admit it was probably too vague because nobody on GAF reads links.)

Of course I agree with you that not everybody posting in this thread is a Gator, but the origins here are yet another paranoid GG op. (And hey, they could actually be right this time, but until we get greater confirmation that this is all the fault of evil liberal gaming joruanlists I'm going to take the safer assumption that they're not. Also, weird to complain about free speech when you're deliberately buying into a walled garden like PSN, where part of the whole selling point is a lack of freedom, but whatever.) So the criticism basically fits.

Anyway, the game seems a little gross to me (and the developers using the DMCA to silence criticism seems like a basic ethical violation to me), but I'm not going to spend money to play it and see for myself. Oh well. But it is strange to see so many people here pretending that PUA psychological manipulation isn't already super controversial and disliked by huge numbers of people, to say nothing of a guy who went on television and talked about how dumb and whiny British women are. So obviously something like this is going to come off poorly to most normal people, and it's a little disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

I'll admit it was definitely unfair for Sony to apparently lead these developers on prior to release, though maybe they were doing it as a funny meta-joke.

(My favorite PUA is Paul Rudd.)

TannerDemoz

Nah, not at all. This is a productive comment (yours), but I really can't justify any defence of this game.

I'm probably the furthest thing away from a social justice warrior, but I've got a strong opinion on shit like this playing out in bars/club/public places or whatever like you mention. To see a game encouraging this kind of behaviour kinda sickens me. Maybe this could be justifiable if it was decent satire? But it's not, is it? It's honestly just a really, really, bad game.

I'm all for the argument that a gaming press outlet shouldn't be a role to keep a game from being released. As someone who works in PR I completely agree with what you're saying and I welcome any discussion/open forum about censorship. Having said that, I absolutely do not think there is room in the industry for games like this. Ironically, it's now received more coverage given it's removal and it probably could have just been ignored if Motherboard missed this.

This game is bad, though. And implores some horrendous stuff (IMO). And I'm still disappointed by the general consensus of a lot of members who think stuff like this is 'harmful' or a result of 'social justice'.

KevinKeene

Banned
You're maybe missing the context here, which is that the opening post 'article' that started this whole business is from KotakuInAction, the "almost-official Gamergate subreddit." So yeah, this whole thing was a Gator conspiracy theory from the get-go. (It's also why the mod criticism was wrong, because the justification for the accusation is there -- though I'll admit it was probably too vague because nobody on GAF reads links.)

Of course I agree with you that not everybody posting in this thread is a Gator, but the origins here are yet another paranoid GG op. (And hey, they could actually be right this time, but until we get greater confirmation that this is all the fault of evil liberal gaming joruanlists I'm going to take the safer assumption that they're not. Also, weird to complain about free speech when you're deliberately buying into a walled garden like PSN, where part of the whole selling point is a lack of freedom, but whatever.) So the criticism basically fits.

Anyway, the game seems a little gross to me (and the developers using the DMCA to silence criticism seems like a basic ethical violation to me), but I'm not going to spend money to play it and see for myself. Oh well. But it is strange to see so many people here pretending that PUA psychological manipulation isn't already super controversial and disliked by huge numbers of people, to say nothing of a guy who went on television and talked about how dumb and whiny British women are. So obviously something like this is going to come off poorly to most normal people, and it's a little disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

I'll admit it was definitely unfair for Sony to apparently lead these developers on prior to release, though maybe they were doing it as a funny meta-joke.

Being pro-Gamergate isn't bad. That's the root mistake of all of your assumptions.

Dunki

Nah, not at all. This is a productive comment (yours), but I really can't justify any defence of this game.

I'm probably the furthest thing away from a social justice warrior, but I've got a strong opinion on shit like this playing out in bars/club/public places or whatever like you mention. To see a game encouraging this kind of behaviour kinda sickens me. Maybe this could be justifiable if it was decent satire? But it's not, is it? It's honestly just a really, really, bad game.

I'm all for the argument that a gaming press outlet shouldn't be a role to keep a game from being released. As someone who works in PR I completely agree with what you're saying and I welcome any discussion/open forum about censorship. Having said that, I absolutely do not think there is room in the industry for games like this. Ironically, it's now received more coverage given it's removal and it probably could have just been ignored if Motherboard missed this.

This game is bad, though. And implores some horrendous stuff (IMO). And I'm still disappointed by the general consensus of a lot of members who think stuff like this is 'harmful' or a result of 'social justice'.
Again... Maybe try to play it yourself first? See the context of these scenes. There is no harassment going on. Even the taking away her "independence" makes sense in the context since you made the guy look bad not her.

Every time you act like a dick you get told not to do it. No touching, no looking, no stalking etc. Goal is always to make the women you talked to make feel good so she has a nice time and remembers you etc.

Last edited:

TannerDemoz

Again... Maybe try to play it yourself first? See the context of these scenes. There is no harassment going on. Even the taking away her "independence" makes sense in the context since you made the guy look bad not her.

Every time you act like a dick you get told not to do it. No touching, no looking, no stalking etc. Goal is always to make the women you talked to make feel good so she has a nice time and remembers you etc.

I've watched videos dude. Entering conversations unwelcomely to
Pick up chicks. It's lame behaviour and a pain in the arse for girls in general having to humour guys who think they're entitled to jump in on conversations. The game makes light work of that. I think PUA culture is lame and this game. I get that that's my opinion though and others can do what they want.

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
Even though it's super creepy, I don't think playing a game where you occasionally stalk ladies or whatever is any worse than games where you're actively running around murdering everyone you see. Everyone always complains about lack of freedom in games and here's one giving you the freedom to be a creepy asshole if that's your thing. I don't expect people to be murderers after playing PUBG and I don't expect everyone playing Super Seducer to spontaneously combust into a serial rapist. People do all sorts of weird inappropriate shit in games whether those acts are intended by the developer or not. Being stupid in games where there's no real world consequences in KIND OF THE POINT of playing video games.

If you think this game is stupid and you're disgusted by it, CONGRATULATIONS! You have an opinion which you can act on by not buying the game. There being moral outrage over all this dumb shit over and over again takes focus away from real atrocities happening right now that nobody is talking about.

/rant

Dunki

I've watched videos dude. Entering conversations unwelcomely to
Pick up chicks. It's lame behaviour and a pain in the arse for girls in general having to humour guys who think they're entitled to jump in on conversations. The game makes light work of that. I think PUA culture is lame and this game. I get that that's my opinion though and others can do what they want.
See this is a much different opinion than fuck all of those people who like it etc.

Also how about watching women play this game and how almost everyone has a blast playing and streaming this. And he also says that you need to act differently depending on time and places. On the street cafe, etc very light conversations, no sexual stuff, just a normal conversation. Maybe if it goes right invite for a cafe and done. In a club it is a bit more aggressive but always respectful, more playful (teasing/joking) etc.
I honestly do not think that anything is harmful or annoying to women. Either they talk or they reject. And he also never pushes women to do something. Only in the bad options.

I also think there are a few advices for socially akward men to have actual conversations. Or how to not get "abused and used" by friends etc. Example: Do not everything your friend ask of you have your own opinion. Priorities etc. I think this is also a bigger problem for men in "friend zones" and yes these exist.

Last edited:

So let me get this straight... because I was too lazy to type out the summary of events myself and instead opted to copy & paste what was posted at KiA, it's suddenly a "Gamer gate conspiracy?" I was already in the midst of typing up my own summary when I realized that I don't care about this game enough to type up a huge thing, so I googled it up to see if anyone beat me to it and sure enough, the first result was the link I provided.

Regardless, as I said in the OP, I left the link/post there for you all to extrapolate what you will. It doesn't take a huge leap of logic to realize what Vice did here.

Last edited:
I bet ResetEra users must be burning fireworks and running victory laps over this. Liberalism is a disease. It’s destroying freedom of expression. It will ruin gaming forever.

Actually, nobody cares about this game over there. Despite having vastly more users than over here, this thread has garnered more replies than the one over there.

radewagon

How many more of these kind of stories are needed before its the people claiming there is no left wing agenda pushing / attempts to censor games by the media, who need to provide proof of their claims?

"Left wing agenda" is the reason many people will never agree you. That kind of conspiracy signaling is unrealistic. There happen to be separate actors which happen to have a lot of overlap in their ideas. There is nothing sinister going on. Consider the number of liberals that don't care about this. You are taking the voices of a few and assuming they are the voice of an entire political opposition movement because you are noticing patterns of behavior. The patterns are there, they just aren't as connected as you think.

For my money, the game seems to be satirical. And satire is always a tough sell. Satire often shows some of the worst qualities in order to critique or mock them. Take South Park's Cartman, for example. The show portrays a child as having INCREDIBLY racist attitudes. This is done to mock racism but could just as easily promote it if viewed by someone who was racist. One step further, the movie Bamboozled shows the revival of a traditional blackface minstrel show in order to draw parallels to current trends in entertainment. So, yeah, satire can make many people uncomfortable.

That said, I'm not saying I agree with Sony dropping the title. I happen to like satire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom