• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros 4 Roster Prediction Contest! Prizes included! Deadline: June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to Kid Icarus Uprising, I think the following would be awesome:

Palutena and Medusa FROM THE START. Two non-blonde female characters with very different personalities, each with the legacy factor dating back to the original KIU, with new designs by Sakurai himself.

Then...

HADES appears. He could show up unexpectedly just like in KIU, and steal the show (once again) as a secret character.

This way you'd have four KI characters: Pit and Palutena on the good team, and Medusa and Hades on the evil team (if you want to call them a "team," lol).

Then, if you're playing a match with all four and Medusa has already been KOed,
she comes out of nowhere and uppercuts Hades right as he's about to win the match.

What if they replace Ike with Magnus? I mean speed and stuff. Magnus could work for that.

Much more likely to be a character from Awakening like Chrom. Magnus is also pretty much the least likely KI:U rep. Even Pit seems surprised when he kicks ass in Uprising, because he's literally just a guy with a sword.

SmithnCo

Kat and Ana could work as Ice Climber type characters I suppose?

The more I think about it the more I can't believe the Ice Climbers actually got in in the first place lol

Moreso, I can't believe they actually entertained the idea of Urban Champion at some point. That's Little Mac alt-color tier at best.

Violet_0

Banned
Also, that's Bowser Jr, not Baby Bowser. Bowser Jr. has been having important roles in Mario platformers since Sunshine.

yeah, I tend to mix them up. Still, I was always under the impression that he was one of the least popular Mario characters (ever since NSMB, anyway). Certainly not someone I would vote for in a Smash Brothers poll. Personally, I'd like to see one or more of the infinitely superior Koopa Kids, though they're not as well-known individually as Bowser Jr. I suppose

Snakey

Much more likely to be a character from Awakening like Chrom. Magnus is also pretty much the least likely KI:U rep.

As I said before on the previous page, I am betting Magnus shows up as an Assist Trophy.

Chrom replacing Ike would be lame, and in general a lot of people find the idea of Chrom to be pretty boring (just check SmashBoards for their thoughts on the character as a prospective fighter).

I think Sakurai is going to have something else planned for FE aside from "latest lord".

As I said before, Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna would make the highest amount of Smash Bros. and FE fans happy.

I think a new Pokemon and a new Kid Icarus character are two really safe bets.

As I said before on the previous page, I am betting Magnus shows up as an Assist Trophy.

Chrom replacing Ike would be lame, and in general a lot of people find the idea of Chrom to be pretty boring (just check SmashBoards for their thoughts on the character as a prospective fighter).

I think Sakurai is going to have something else planned for FE aside from "latest lord".

As I said before, Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna would make the highest amount of Smash Bros. and FE fans happy.

Oh yeah, Magnus will definitely be an assist I'd say.

Smashboards? Not exactly the best place to trust the opinion of to be honest. Roy was in Melee to promote Fire Emblem GBA. Ike was in because the latest game at that time was his game. Marth can be in his Awakening model because it will promote both the new game and keep Marth in again. Chrom will undoubtedly be in.

Really appreciating the Tharja pics guys :p

Hmm, interesting to see Lyn up there. Did the poll have a lot of characters or something? Because those percentages seem low. I'm pulled between Lyn or Lucina, now. Either would be nice.

If I remember right that poll was based on voters from Dengeki.

Ike's putrid DLC artwork (besides not being as popular in Japan compared to the west) might have had something to do with his low vote count.

Neiteio

I think a new Pokemon and a new Kid Icarus character are two really safe bets.
Palutena being the safest bet of all. You can tell Sakurai ADORES the character, and she has the legacy factor, and she was all over KIU's marketing materials, including the inside of the case (U.S. version included) and the various anime shorts and so on. I really think she's a given, and that's putting aside the fact she's my most wanted character by far.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Much more likely to be a character from Awakening like Chrom. Magnus is also pretty much the least likely KI:U rep.

How is he the least likely? He already has fighting moves between his playable time in the chapters and the Magnus Club move-set.

you might want to make the deadline for this sooner. With the whole Nintendo Direct philosophy Nintendo is doing now, they could very well release the details for this a lot sooner

NeonZ

Why would they make a character's alternate costume a different character? You're forgetting basic principles.

We've gotten alternate colors like OoT Zelda for Twilight Princess Zelda, LoZ Link for Toon Link, Dark Link for Link, Daisy for Peach back in Melee (Brawl still has Daisy colors for Peach, but in Melee her model itself changed, not only colors), Dark Pit as a pallet for Pit(although here it was Sakurai taking a color and developing it into a full character. He had already nicknamed this color in Brawl's site though) and there's obviously Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon.

None have ever changed voice over or names though, just textures and sometimes 3d model itself. If they developed alternate costumes a bit more though, they could easily make it so that after cycling through Marth's 5 or 6 colors, you suddenly got to a Lucina model and more colors, also changing Marth's name call and voice over to Lucina's, but keeping the gameplay and animations completely unchanged. It could be done, but it's a matter of them wanting to do it. If they wanted to make the designs more different, they could go with Lucina's Great Lord design rather than her Lord one.

zroid

Banned
Huh, I didn't consider Tharja (FE Awakening). Nintendo LOVES that character. Not only was she like the favorite character of every IntSys dev in the 8-4 interview (which probably explains why she's so beastly), but they made a figure of her:

http://yamachan01.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/fce865040767e63ff1dcc6695514f352-528x759.jpg[img]

Honestly, she'd be an AMAZING character. She's a unique personality with a distinct look -- we need some raven-haired ladies to break up the blondes. And as a Dark Mage with a twisted sense of humor, she could concoct all sorts of arcane spells for her attacks. She was an absolute beast in Awakening, and I'd love to control her directly in Smash.

Put her in along with Chrom and Lucina... Make Ike and Marth paid DLC. Only obstacle for Tharja is they'd have to strike the right balance so her mesh suit doesn't come off too provocative in a game also featuring Pikachu, lol.[/QUOTE]

IMO ditch Marth and Ike, and give us two females. First Lucina, who can basically be a Marth clone, and second Tharja -- a spellcasting representative of Fire Emblem in Smash would be cool.

I guess they could add others in as DLC, although I'm a bit hesitant to agree to paid DLC characters in a Smash Bros. :(

GamerSoul

Lyn is only 0.2% ahead of Eirika of all people, the results are really weird. I am really surprised about how low Ike is. He is even lower than Leaf for crying out loud. Marth and Roy being incredibly high up is now surprise. Those two probably had the most popular FE13 re-designs, and I can that is honestly deserved.

http://images.wikia.com/fireemblem/images/b/b3/Marthdlc_img.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120421061756/fireemblem/images/2/2f/DlcRoyKakusei.jpg

Did not think that was Marth lol. I also thought Lyn had a nice redisign also. Ike's position is probably because of his awkward redesign. Yea I'm not sure about the percentages myself.

It was a single poll for all 120 legacy characters in Awakening (the later DLC added two extras, but it was made after they already had the popularity results), no division by gender or anything else. So, there were many choices. Also, here's the result for Awakening's actual characters.

Oh ok, that explains the percentages. I really thought Chrom would be more popular like Ike if Awakening was a hit but Lucina seems like she is more of a favorite. FE should get 4 slots at this rate. As a worst case scenario, 3 with one coming as DLC down the road.

I am not betting on a new Pokemon aside from Mewtwo. I also think Palutena is among the most likely newcomers to get in.

Eh, that's technically a new Pokemon as far as I'm concerned. They haven't really announced any outside the starters yet (unless they do a Region Trainer thing).

Palutena being the safest bet of all. You can tell Sakurai ADORES the character, and she has the legacy factor, and she was all over KIU's marketing materials, including the inside of the case (U.S. version included) and the various anime shorts and so on. I really think she's a given, and that's putting aside the fact she's my most wanted character by far.

I'd rather Hades than Palutena, but that's just me. Viridi is quite likely too considering her fandom.

How is he the least likely? He already has fighting moves between his playable time in the chapters and the Magnus Club move-set.

So does Dark Pit and the faceless Angel in multiplayer. I'd wager neither will be included. There's so, so much more you could put in a moveset for the god characters.

Because he is a random sword wielder from a niche game. The fact that you believe he has any chance whatsoever is simply mind-boggling.

I don't think "from a niche game" is applicable considering we have playable Pit and Ice Climbers. Uprising was a big undertaking for Nintendo (big revival of old character), with loads of settings and characters to draw from.

Javier

I'd say Palutena, Medusa, Viridi and Hades are more popular and relevant to the series than Magnus. If Sakurai adds a second playable KIU character and a couple of ATs, I can see any of those showing up before Magnus.

Snakey

IMO ditch Marth and Ike, and give us two females. First Lucina, who can basically be a Marth clone, and second Tharja -- a spellcasting representative of Fire Emblem in Smash would be cool.

As I said before, NO WAY is Marth ever being cut for anyone. If you know even a smidgeon about the FE series, Marth is untouchable for his place in Smash Bros.

What you are saying would piss off over 90% of Smash Bros. and FE fans.

The BEST route would be to put in Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna.

Nemesis_

Do we think there is really room for BOTH Lucas and Mess anymore? I mean their move sets are very similar and surely there are other Mother characters they could draw upon?

I'm not a huge Mother person (yet) but am surprised to see it not talked about as much as other franchises.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
you might want to make the deadline for this sooner. With the whole Nintendo Direct philosophy Nintendo is doing now, they could very well release the details for this a lot sooner

I already mentioned that in thread. I will adjust the date if they are going to release trailer early.

zroid

Banned
As I said before, NO WAY is Marth ever being cut for anyone. If you know even a smidgeon about the FE series, Marth is untouchable for his place in Smash Bros.

What you are saying would piss off over 90% of Smash Bros. and FE fans.

The BEST route would be to put in Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna.

That's why I said make Lucina a Marth clone. I mean, if you've played Awakening...
it's kind of perfect

Anna would be awesome though. Maybe DLC.

Snakey

The word "likely" really needs to stop being used. Palutena is the only Kid Icarus character I can realistically see being added.

Yeah. A series with only three installments is not going to get three playable characters. Sakurai is just going to add in Palutena and that's it.

Do we think there is really room for BOTH Lucas and Mess anymore? I mean their move sets are very similar and surely there are other Mother characters they could draw upon?

I'm not a huge Mother person (yet) but am surprised to see it not talked about as much as other franchises.

It's irritating they take up two spots when there's not been a new Mother title in years, but I know the fanbase is big. With Earthbound getting a global release, I'd say Ness is definitely in, but Lucas is just a sore reminder that Nintendo doesn't value the Mother IP that highly.

SmithnCo

Ness seems like a lock, being a 64 legacy character and even more now with the Mother 2 revival stuff. I think Lucas is the next logical pick, though I wish they would've differentiated his specials more. Maybe in Smash 4.

Kumatora or Flint should be assists though at least.

Snakey

That's why I said make Lucina a Marth clone. I mean if you've played Awakening...
it's kind of perfect

The problem is that Marth will likely come into Smash 4 with his FE13 re-design, in which he looks nearly the same as Lucina, sans the long hair.

Neiteio

Magnus is a great character, but I see him sooner being an Assist Trophy (lunging across the stage with his club) than being a playable character, due simply to the massive presence the gods had. Like I said, Palutena is by far and away the most likely addition; she was the second most prominent character in the game after Pit, Sakurai clearly loves her, and she was all over the marketing materials, from the interior of the game case (U.S. included) to the various anime shorts, all three of which featured her (and the third one was mainly about her). She has more personality than most of the current Smash roster combined, and is a non-blonde female, to boot.

Javier

We've gotten alternate colors like OoT Zelda for Twilight Princess Zelda, LoZ Link for Toon Link, Dark Link for Link, Daisy for Peach back in Melee (Brawl still has Daisy colors for Peach, but in Melee her model itself changed, not only colors), Dark Pit as a pallet for Pit(although here it was Sakurai taking a color and developing it into a full character. He had already nicknamed this color in Brawl's site though) and there's obviously Blood Falcon for Captain Falcon.
Don't forget Claus was an alternate color for Lucas. Also I think one alternate for Ness was a Mother 3 character, but can't recall who.

zroid

Banned
The problem is that Marth will likely come into Smash 4 with his FE13 re-design, in which he looks nearly the same as Lucina, sans the long hair.

Which is why they should replace Marth with her...

FE has too many characters to keep re-using Marth in every Smash Bros. game. This is a GREAT opportunity to please everyone, and they shouldn't waste it.

TWILT

Banned
I like how Chrom is considered "boring" yet somehow the guy from Melee who was just Marth with fire effects is somehow a better choice.

There are other characters that could maybe have cool movesets, but that series also pretty much is in the same situation as Fire Emblem where no character who isn't a main protagonist is going to get in. Since the Mother series is over, I don't think it'll get a new character at this point.

FE has too many characters to keep re-using Marth in every Smash Bros. game. This is a GREAT opportunity to please everyone, and they shouldn't waste it.

But that would please no one.

Snakey

Magnus is a great character, but I see him sooner being an Assist Trophy (lunging across the stage with his club) than being a playable character, due simply to the massive presence the gods had. Like I said, Palutena is by far and away the most likely addition; she was the second most prominent character in the game after Pit, Sakurai clearly loves her, and she was all over the marketing materials, from the interior of the game case (U.S. included) to the various anime shorts, all of three of which featured her (and the third one was mainly about her).

Palutena is also the most wanted female newcomer for Smash 4 in general, and basically within the Top 10 most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 overall.

There was a user named Shorts who passed along a character poll for Smash 4 among the various Smash Bros. communities on the internet (SmashBoards, GameFAQs, NeoGAF, Reddit, 4chan, Neoseeker, Tumblr, and various other places), and here are the most recent results he posted for it:

Around 1,700 votes
1. Mega Man [Capcom] 930
2. Mewtwo [Pokemon] 811
3. Ridley [ Metroid] 624
4. Little Mac [Punch Out] 601
5. King K. Rool [Donkey Kong] 596
6. Waluigi [Super Mario] 501
7. Isaac [Golden Sun] 492
8. Roy [Fire Emblem] 444
9. Bowser Junior [Super Mario] 440
10. Ghirahim [Legend Of Zelda] 427
11. Palutena [Kid Icarus] 426
12. Chrom [Fire Emblem] 390
13. Shulk [Xenoblade] 374
14. Pac - Man [Namco] 355
15. Krystal [StarFox] 347
16. Zoroark [Pokemon] 337
17. Geno [Square Enix] 317
18. Toad [Super Mario] 278
19. Takamaru [Murasame Castle] 242
20. Dixie Kong [Donkey Kong] 236
21. Samurai Goroh [F-Zero] 213
22. Saki [Sin & Punishment] 210
23. Bandana Dee [Kirby] 177
24. Black Shadow [F-Zero] 171

Most FE fans and Smash Bros. fans would be vehemently against that. Heck, Lucina is even less supported for Smash 4 than Chrom, who is less supported than Roy.

Neiteio

Man, I'd take Lucina a 100 times over Marth.

I still like the idea of Chrom and Lucina as defaults, working like Ike and Marth clones, respectively, with the super-popular Tharja as a secret character, and Ike, Marth and Roy as (free or paid) "legacy" DLC. You want known quantities for DLC, to help ensure they sell (not unlike Awakening's DLC!).

SmithnCo

I like how Chrom is considered "boring" yet somehow the guy from Melee who was just Marth with fire effects is somehow a better choice.

You speak truth. Roy over Chrom is a weird choice to me. They ditched Roy once and they can do it again, meanwhile the popular newest game in the franchise has a couple viable reps.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see why they don't go with alternate character models and animations in order to keep a reasonable (~40) moveset count while opening up the potential to add tons of characters. Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather them have Marth+Chrom+Lucina+Lyn with the same moveset and balance than Red Marth, Blue Marth, Yellow Marth, and White Marth.

More work? Sure. But this is Smash Bros, it's about fan service and it's going to sell a ton of copies anyway.

NeonZ

Marth was in the illustration done by Sakurai's new staff posted online last year though, so it's really unlikely that he's going anywhere at this point. They could have removed him in Brawl if they didn't want to keep him as the main face of the franchise. I think they actually want a "main" character of sorts for FE's representation, rather than just focusing on the newest game.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'd say Palutena, Medusa, Viridi and Hades are more popular and relevant to the series than Magnus. If Sakurai adds a second playable KIU character and a couple of ATs, I can see any of those showing up before Magnus.

Kid Icarus Uprising isn't a series. It's a stand-alone game with no future installments planned. If anything, they'd include a character simply to fill in the roster. With that in mind, it wouldn't make sense to develop a character past what is already present in Kid Icarus Uprising. As such, Viridi and Hades seem more improbable as they don't have any real appearances inside of gameplay.

Nemesis_

Kid Icarus Uprising isn't a series. It's a stand-alone game with no future installments planned. If anything, they'd include a character simply to fill in the roster. With that in mind, it wouldn't make sense to develop a character past what is already present in Kid Icarus Uprising. As such, Viridi and Hades seem more improbable as they don't have any real appearances outside of cut-scenes.

Umm, there were two Kid Icarus games before it and both Medusa and Hades were in them?

Snakey

Like it or not, Roy's fire sword makes him stand out more than Chrom (Sakurai pretty much said that Roy's fire sword was the one of the primary reasons he selected him as the second FE character, because it made him stand out more than other FE characters).

The canonical abilities for the Sword of Seals could also easily make Roy unique, or at least a luigi-fied clone (think Luigi, Falco, Wolf, and Lucas in Brawl). In FE6 he can shoot fire out of his sword and heal himself with it. There also has been plenty of Brawl hacks with a decloned Roy.

Neiteio

I don't see why they don't go with alternate character models and animations in order to keep a reasonable (~40) moveset count while opening up the potential to add tons of characters. Maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather them have Marth+Chrom+Lucina+Lyn with the same moveset and balance than Red Marth, Blue Marth, Yellow Marth, and White Marth.
I'd be cool with them formalizing clones in that fashion. The same move-sets, essentially, with slight tweaks here and there.

Fire Emblem works particularly well in this regard. Marth, Roy, and Lucina can share a similar set. Ike and Chrom could share a similar set (Chrom also struck me as a power type).

I -really- want Tharja, though. :-\

The idea of replacing Marth is madness I tell ya, straight up madness.
If anything Awakening only helps cement his face of the franchise standing even further.

Sadsic

Returning Characters:

1.) Mario
2.) Luigi
3.) Princess Peach
4.) Bowser
5.) Donkey Kong
6.) Diddy Kong
7.) Ness
8.) Lucas
9.) Captain Falcon
10.) Mr. Game & Watch
11.) R.O.B.
12.) Ice Climbers
13.) Kirby
14.) King DeDeDe
15.) Meta Knight
16.) Samus / Zero Suit Samus
17.) Marth
18.) Roy
19.) Ike
21.) Link
22.) Toon Link
23.) Zelda / Sheik
24.) Ganondorf
25.) Pikachu
26.) Jigglypuff
27.) Mewtwo
28.) Pokemon Trainer
29.) Fox
30.) Falco
31.) Wolf
32.) Sonic
33.) Snake
34.) Wario
35.) Yoshi
36.) Olimar

New Characters:

1.) Chrom
2.) Ghirahim
3.) Little Mac
4.) Shulk
5.) Paper Mario
6.) Palutena
7.) Pac-Man
8.) Takamaru
9.) Isaac
10.) Bowser Jr.
11.) Zoroark
12.) Ridley

Assist Trophies:

1.) Muddy Mole
2.) Rosalina
3.) Duck/s from Duck Hunt
4.) King K. Rool
5.) Birdo
6.) Pac-Man Ghosts
7.) Prince Fluff
8.) Tom Nook
9.) Like Like
10.) Topi

Stages:

1.) Skyloft
2.) Comet Observatory
3.) DKCR Minecart Level
4.) Excite Bike Track
5.) Patch Land
6.) Bionis' Leg
7.) Duck Hunt Tall Grass
8.) The Underground

Items:

1.) Wiimote
2.) Podoboo
3.) Poltergust 5000
4.) Shovel
5.) Super Leaf

Pokeball:

1.) Zorua
2.) Victini
3.) Giratina
4.) Oshawott
5.) Genesect
6.) Sylveon
7.) Kyurem
8.) Zekrom
9.) Klink
10.) Meloetta

that took a long ass time

Snakey

You speak truth. Roy over Chrom is a weird choice to me. They ditched Roy once and they can do it again, meanwhile the popular newest game in the franchise has a couple viable reps.

Roy would have been in Brawl if Sakurai would have had more time. Him and Mewtwo were dropped due to time constraints.

Also, both of those "viable reps" are less popular among Smash Bros. fans than Roy.

Speedwagon

Umm, there were two Kid Icarus games before it and both Medusa and Hades were in them?

Those are irrelevant because they were created by different developers?

Nemesis_

Hades was new to Kid Icarus Uprising.

For some reason I'm getting my words crossed with Kid Icarus and Castlevania :I

Well, Hades bring Death. heck I don't know what I was thinking, it's 3AM.

Different developers? so what? do you think the Ice Climbers team worked on smash Bros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom