• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros 4 Roster Prediction Contest! Prizes included! Deadline: June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kid Icarus Uprising isn't a series. It's a stand-alone game with no future installments planned. If anything, they'd include a character simply to fill in the roster. With that in mind, it wouldn't make sense to develop a character past what is already present in Kid Icarus Uprising. As such, Viridi and Hades seem more improbable as they don't have any real appearances inside of gameplay.

You don't know Sakurai very well do you? The roster isn't there just to be filled.

Hades shows up a lot in gameplay, you're just not playing as him. You didn't play as Ganondorf or Bowser either.

Go ask any Smash Bros. community what they would think about the idea of scrapping Marth for Lucina and I guarantee you will either be laughed at or burnt to a crisp from the flames.

Smash Bros Communities decried the removal of Dr. Mario and Pichu. I honestly do not care whether they'd laugh at me.

Can you come up with a good moveset? I sure can't. They could have K.K. Slider beating up the other characters with his guitar, but that's about it.

Tom Nook would be easy and I'd be more than willing to put one together for him, but stuff like that is better left to the Community SSB thread.

NeonZ

Also, both of those "viable reps" are less popular among Smash Bros. fans than Roy.

Were those polls done after Awakening's western release? If they're old, they'd be kind of pointless to see the interest in the new FE characters.

Neiteio

For some reason I'm getting my words crossed with Kid Icarus and Castlevania :I
LOL, no prob. Honestly, though, I think Hades has a shot, more so than Magnus. He was the "big bad" of Sakurai's last game, after all.

Also, everyone should have "Wuhu Island" and "Nintendo Land" on their Stages list. You just know they're going to be in this game.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Different developers? so what? do you think the Ice Climbers team worked on smash Bros?

Which is why I think Ice Climbers won't be returning.

Galang

Banned
I wish we could get both Hades and Medusa, but I feel we'll get something lame like Magnus and Dark Pit instead.

Man, I'd take Lucina a 100 times over Marth.

I still like the idea of Chrom and Lucina as defaults, working like Ike and Marth clones, respectively, with the super-popular Tharja as a secret character, and Ike, Marth and Roy as (free or paid) "legacy" DLC. You want known quantities for DLC, to help ensure they sell (not unlike Awakening's DLC!).

I agree. Lucina doesn't get enough love. I'd take her 100 times over Marth also

Snakey

The idea of replacing Marth is madness I tell ya, straight up madness.
If anything Awakening only helps cement his face of the franchise standing even further.

Yeah. Marth was offered as free DLC for the first month in all three territories. Both Chrom and Lucina are descendants of Marth, and many of the plotpoints of FE13 come from the mythos of Marth's games.

Sakurai himself is also a big fan of Marth's FE games. He did the Iwata Asks for Shadow Dragon, and has a copy of FE3 downloaded onto his Wii. Not to mention his favorite FE character, Nabarl/Navarre, is a character from Marth's games.

Neiteio

Wait, why do you think Ice Climbers won't be returning? I think they're a safe bet after being a standout addition to Melee and returning in Brawl. They're one of the most unique characters on the roster, and Sakurai appreciates gameplay variety.

Nemesis_

They will include Monita in some capacity and I will hate them for it.

Hades has such a ~fabulous~ demeanour that I think he deserves to be in.

zroid

Banned
Marth was in the illustration done by Sakurai's new staff posted online last year though, so it's really unlikely that he's going anywhere. They could have removed him in Brawl if they didn't want to keep him as the main face of the franchise.

That was before Awakening took off in popularity worldwide.

Let me explain why Lucina replacing Marth is a move which would "please everyone" (not literally, but potentially). On the one hand you have hardcore Marth players who desperately want to keep him in the game -- Lucina can be an identical clone in all but appearance and name. I absolutely support this.

On the other hand, you have people who want fresh faces in Smash, and especially new representation from a series with TONS of popular characters. Moreover, there's never been a female FE character in Smash before. Here you have an opportunity to not only make a female character a Marth clone while being canonically accurate, but she's from the most popular game in the series ever worldwide. That's why it's kind of like the stars have aligned. They shouldn't "waste" the opportunity to do it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also, both of those "viable reps" are less popular among Smash Bros. fans than Roy.

That's very much a "duh" thing since Roy has been in Smash Bros and Awakening characters have not. And Smash Bros has a significantly larger fanbase, the majority of which have probably never played a Fire Emblem game at all.

Snakey

That's very much a "duh" thing since Roy has been in Smash Bros and Awakening characters have not. And Smash Bros has a significantly larger fanbase, the majority of which have probably never played a Fire Emblem game at all.

Lucina is a very unattractive idea to most Smash Bros. fans because she is practically a genderswap version of Marth. That is why there is more support for Chrom among Smash Bros. fans than Lucina despite Lucina being more popular among FE fans than Chrom.

Javier

I'd say every character that has been playable in at least two Smash games is a safe bet to return.

And I really don't get the Ice Climbers hate. They're one of the most unique characters in the roster.

Salsa

using Ryce's method, and I mostly agree with him but I made a few changes and added my items

Characters (48)
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Peach
  5. Yoshi
  6. Wario
  7. Waluigi
  8. Donkey Kong
  9. Diddy Kong
  10. Link
  11. LTTP Link
  12. Zelda
  13. Sheik (transformation)
  14. Ganondorf
  15. Pikachu
  16. Pokémon Trainer's Charizard
  17. Pokémon Trainer's Squirtle
  18. Pokémon Trainer's Ivysaur
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Mewtwo's new from from X & Y (transformation)
  21. Lucario
  22. Jigglypuff
  23. Samus
  24. Zero Suit Samus (transformation)
  25. Takamaru
  26. Kirby
  27. Meta Knight
  28. King Dedede
  29. Pit
  30. Dark Pit
  31. Palutena
  32. Olimar
  33. Marth
  34. Ike
  35. Chrom
  36. Fox
  37. Falco
  38. Wolf
  39. Captain Falcon
  40. Ness
  41. Lucas
  42. Mr. Game & Watch
  43. R.O.B.
  44. Ice Climbers
  45. Snake
  46. Sonic
  47. Pac-Man
  48. Mega Man

Assist Trophies
  • Rosalina
  • Tempo
  • Ghirahim
  • Eggplant Wizard
  • Shulk
  • Dillon
  • Mallo
  • Mach Rider
  • Pac-Man Ghosts
  • Roll

Poké Balls
  • Zoroark
  • Victini
  • Yveltal
  • Xerneas
  • Sylveon
  • Darkrai
  • Arceus
  • Shaymin
  • Kyurem
  • Genesect

Stages
  • Comet Observatory
  • Wuhu Island
  • Skyloft
  • Metroid: Other M Ridley's Lair
  • Yarn Yoshi
  • Pokémon X/Y France-inspired region
  • Mega Man Lab
  • Pac-Maze

Items
  • Super Leaf
  • Invincibility Leaf
  • Power Pellet
  • Poltergust 5000
  • Jetpack from Pilotwings

probably missing some next 3D Mario reps.. maybe i'll edit later

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I've been telling him that.

Also I weep for Dillon. Goddamnit he deserve more than an assist trophy!

Let me explain why Lucina replacing Marth is a move which would "please everyone". On the one hand you have hardcore Marth players who desperately want to keep him in the game -- Lucina can be an identical clone in all but appearance and name. I absolutely support this.

On the other hand, you have people who want fresh faces in Smash, and especially new representation from a series with TONS of popular characters. Moreover, there's never been a female FE character in Smash before. Here you have an opportunity to not only make a female character a Marth clone while being canonically accurate, but she's from the most popular game in the series ever worldwide. That's why it's kind of like the stars have aligned. They shouldn't "waste" the opportunity to do it.

On the other hand she wouldn't be Marth.

Man, I just saw your roster and I really hope that doesn't come to pass. You dropped Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Ice Climbers, and put in Ghirahim and Magnus? Come on bro.

Nemesis_

Harmo Knight would be cute and kind of out of left field hence why I picked a level based on it. kind of like Electroplanckton

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lucina is a very unattractive idea to most Smash Bros. fans because she is practically a genderswap version of Marth. That is why there is more support for Chrom among Smash Bros. fans than Lucina despite Lucina being more popular among FE fans than Chrom.

What does this have to due with Lucina? I'm specifically referring to your Roy comment, and I think Chrom is more likely than Roy (and Lucina for that matter) to appear. Regardless of Roy's popularity with the Smash Bros fanbase.

Harmo Knight would be cute and kind of out of left field hence why I picked a level based on it. kind of like Electroplanckton

I'd imagine that would appear in some form. Stage could be interesting.

Snakey

Moreover, there's never been a female FE character in Smash before.

If there is a female FE character you want, you should back Anna. In the official North American FE13 poll, she got nearly as much votes as Chrom did, plus she has been in nearly every game to the series.

Plus, she could theoretically be any class (even the amazing Master Knight) since FE13 established there are tons of Annas, not just a trickster one.

zroid

Banned
On the other hand she wouldn't be Marth.

*shrug*

This is a GOOD thing. Marth has had enough time in the spotlight.

If there is a female FE character you want, you should back Anna. In the official North American FE13 poll, she got nearly as much votes as Chrom did, plus she has been in nearly every game to the series.

Plus, she could theoretically be any class (even the amazing Master Knight) since FE13 established there are tons of Annas, not just a trickster one.

I do back Anna. I said Lucina and Tharja in my post earlier, but I'd happily take Lucina and Anna instead.

Snakey

What does this have to due with Lucina? I'm specifically referring to your Roy comment, and I think Chrom is more likely than Roy (and Lucina for that matter) to appear. Regardless of Roy's popularity with the Smash Bros fanbase.

What if Sakurai simply does not find Chrom interesting, and does not want to scrap Ike? I think Chrom will probably end up falling down the memory hole once FE14 hits. He was largely forgettable.

Neiteio

Tempo would be an excellent character, as the star of GameFreak's first non-Pokémon game in ages, and the representative of the best the eShop has to offer (imo, followed by Pushmo/Crashmo). He also has a fully developed world with lots of characters. He'd be excellent, especially if they synced his animations and sound effects to the beat of whatever song is currently playing.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wait, why do you think Ice Climbers won't be returning? I think they're a safe bet after being a standout addition to Melee and returning in Brawl. They're one of the most unique characters on the roster, and Sakurai appreciates gameplay variety.

I believe Ice Climbers were and have always been a filler character. Sakurai is being pressed about the roster size this time around, so filler characters aren't necessary. Plus a lot of Smash players hate them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What if Sakurai simply does not find Chrom interesting, and does not want to scrap Ike? I think Chrom will probably end up falling down the memory hole once FE14 hits. He was largely forgettable.

I don't understand why he wouldn't scrap Ike. I'd assume he would be one of the first from Brawl to be cut. Chrom would replace him.

And it's not a safe assumption that the entire Brawl cast will return plus a dozen new faces. Given the comment that was brought up early in the thread from the NP interview the roster will at best be the same size, possibly smaller.

Snakey

Smash Bros Communities decried the removal of Dr. Mario and Pichu. I honestly do not care whether they'd laugh at me.

No they didn't. Most people don't want Pichu and Dr. Mario back.

The only two cut Melee characters in which there is a lot of support for their return is Mewtwo and Roy.

Boss Doggie

His games should have been better then! I'm as much an advocate for Dillon than anybody, but it's just not happening. I think Tempo (Harmo Knight) is a little more likely.
I don't think game quality has affected a character's chance.

Anyways, we're getting off trail.

Snakey

*shrug*
I do back Anna. I said Lucina and Tharja in my post earlier, but I'd happily take Lucina and Anna instead.

Lucina will never bump Marth out though.

How about Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna, with a Lucina alternate costume for Marth (it would be feasible since Marth will likely be in his FE13 form), would YOU then be happy?

Speedwagon

Man, I just saw your roster and I really hope that doesn't come to pass. You dropped Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and the Ice Climbers, and put in Ghirahim and Magnus? Come on bro.

Yeah, I didn't put a lot of thought into it. I'll refine my list later on.

Neiteio

I believe Ice Climbers were and have always been a filler character. Sakurai is being pressed about the roster size this time around, so filler characters aren't necessary. Plus a lot of Smash players hate them.
Ice Climber is not a "filler" character, if anything it's one of the most involved characters design-wise. Sakurai isn't going to scrap one of his most mechanically clever characters, one that took so much work implementing in the first place, and one which is intrinsic to the history of Nintendo, the whole of which the game is meant to represent. Ice Climbers are here to stay.

Kid Icarus Uprising isn't a series. It's a stand-alone game with no future installments planned. If anything, they'd include a character simply to fill in the roster. With that in mind, it wouldn't make sense to develop a character past what is already present in Kid Icarus Uprising. As such, Viridi and Hades seem more improbable as they don't have any real appearances inside of gameplay.
?!

Ice Climber is not a "filler" character, if anything it's one of the most involved characters design-wise. Sakurai isn't going to scrap one of his most mechanically clever characters, one that took so much work implementing in the first place, and one which is intrinsic to the history of Nintendo, the whole of which the game is meant to represent. Ice Climbers are here to stay.

My man.

Nobody disses my Popo and Nana.

JoeInky

I like FE:A, but removing Marth from the game is such a shitty idea.

Just make a Chrom+Lucina character and can switch with B+down, but keep Marth and Ike/Roy.

I'd totally be down for Tharja as well because that would be an interesting moveset, but there's no way she isn't going to be anything more than an assist trophy if she gets in.

zroid

Banned
Lucina will never bump Marth out though.

How about Marth, Roy, Ike, and Anna, with a Lucina alternate costume for Marth (it would be feasible since Marth will likely be in his FE13 form), would YOU then be happy?

Maybe not, but that's what I want. :p

I would accept a Lucina costume for Marth (or better yet Lucina dressed as Marth) in a worst case scenario though. :)

Neiteio

One character I wouldn't be surprised to see:

TOON ZELDA / TETRA

Hear me out:

Leftover code on Brawl shows that a Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik were being developed. Toon Zelda has now appeared in several games: The Wind Waker (being remade soon), Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. I personally didn't care for the last two, but think of the potential: Zelda's spirit could possess the suit of armor from Spirit Tracks, fire off Light Arrows, and more. And rather than Sheik, why not transform into Tetra, in keeping with the WiiU remake of Wind Waker?

It's not the character I'd clamor for, but I can see them adding Toon Zelda / Tetra.

Boss Doggie

No they didn't. Most people don't want Pichu and Dr. Mario back.

The only two cut Melee characters in which there is a lot of support for their return is Mewtwo and Roy.

Primarily because they have left over data and were implied to be originally going to be in Brawl but cut.

Snakey

Primarily because they have left over data and were implied to be originally going to be in Brawl but cut.

So does Dr. Mario, but hardly anyone is asking for his return.

Heck, Dixie Kong was planned too, yet there exists much more support for Mewtwo and Roy than her.

Boss Doggie

So does Dr. Mario, but hardly anyone is asking for his return.

Heck, Dixie Kong was planned too, yet there exists much more support for Mewtwo and Roy than her.

Dr. Mario suffers from being Mario though. Essentially the same character with different clothes. And I'm pretty sure Dixie has a huge support and was implied to be originally a tag-team for Diddy (to which I agree, some of Diddy's attacks feel off). With that said let's save it for the community thread.

Violet_0

Banned
man, some of these lists here are just terrible (as in, I'd hate to play this version of SSB4). Let's hope they add at least another 14 or more new characters to the game that are a little more exciting than something like Dark Pit

Snakey

And I'm pretty sure Dixie has a huge support and was implied to be originally a tag-team for Diddy (to which I agree, some of Diddy's attacks feel off). With that said let's save it for the community thread.

I did not say Dixie Kong did not have support, I just said Mewtwo and Roy have much more of it. Secondly, most people don't know that she was originally planned to be part of a tag-team with Diddy. They just think of her as being part of the "Forbidden 7".

NeonZ

The illustration was posted in a Japanese twitter post after Awakening done by Japanese staff, after Awakening had already exploded in popularity in Japan.

*shrug*

This is a GOOD thing. Marth has had enough time in the spotlight.

I think that's the point though. They want a face for the franchise. That's why Marth stayed in Brawl, and he was included in the game even before they could learn about Shadow Dragon and its Marth redesign, and that's why he'll likely stay here. His Falchion design even is the emblem for the FE series in Smash Bros.

You're assuming that they want to change FE's image and that losing a characteristic representation and going through a complete visual change would be a good thing, but I'm not sure they see things that way. Smash Bros is supposed to represent the series' history, after all.

One of the things that people clamoring for Lucina seem to be forgetting is that Smash Bros is a game for Nintendo All-Stars. Marth is iconic for Fire Emblem, Lucina won't be replacing him on that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom