• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappasman

I think 3 stocks would be good for top 8 or maybe even top 4.

But ive gotta say this day 2 tourney has been really enjoyable to watch. I'm hopeful for this game. it looks pretty tight and very fun.

Dr.Hadji

Austin (the Ness) has played Ness in every version of the game as long as I've known him. And is pretty much one of the best Ness' in any game he's playing. Looks like he is going to continue that trend.

The edges are different, some have walls.

They're still as neutral as stages get. I don't understand why they're banned for this tourney.

Hopefully future tourneys use them, because it would be nice to have some variety in the visuals and music instead of seeing the same three stages over and over.

Anteo

Playing on all of them imo they should all be legal as long as it's a counterpick and you can only pick one per match. They're still FD whether or not the edges are slightly different.

They're still as neutral as stages get. I don't understand why they're banned for this tourney.

Hopefully future tourneys use them, because it would be nice to have some variety in the visuals and music instead of seeing the same three stages over and over.

It could affect matchups, in particular for characters that can walljump or those that can upb around the wall to make it easier to recover. Also these guys wanted to go with the most basic stagelist to show the game. They talked earlier about other stages that can be used as counter picks.

The music of this goddamn game.

How can anything else win Soundtrack of the Year? HOW!?

Leans far too heavily on remixes though understandably so, I sort of feel like that kind of disqualifies it since it's more like a greatest hits collection.
Plus as already mentioned but worth repeating, Tropical Freeze.

StayDead

It could affect matchups, in particular for characters that can walljump or those that can upb around the wall to make it easier to recover.

It can do yes, but that's good. Just the same as in all the platform stages in melee had differences that benefitted other characters. e.g. Marth on Yoshi's Story due to short side blastzones and rangeable ledge forward smashes.

All that needs to happen is players need to learn what stage is what, then pick from there. There's no logical reason for them not to all be counter picks.

Anteo

It can do yes, but that's good. Just the same as in all the platform stages in melee had differences that benefitted other characters. e.g. Marth on Yoshi's Story due to short side blastzones and rangeable ledge forward smashes.

All that needs to happen is players need to learn what stage is what, then pick from there. There's no logical reason for them not to all be counter picks.

I dont think FD variations will ever be legal (maybe FD and one more, asuming there is a ban system for the stages) as in past smash games FD has given huge advantages for a few characters, and any character that has an advantage in FD would have too many stages to pick from and the oponent not enough bans to cover them all.

Revven

There's no logical reason for them not to all be counter picks.

Actually, yes there is. If a character is really good on FD, then you can't ban it completely because of all the variations of FD existing. Unless when you ban FD then all the variations of FD get banned for the set. This was already enough of a problem in Brawl that caused some stages to get thrown into the banned category (particularly because of Meta Knight).

I dont think FD variations will ever be legal (maybe FD and one more, asuming there is a ban system for the stages) as in past smash games FD has given huge advantages for a few characters, and any character that has an advantage in FD would have too many stages to pick from and the oponent not enough bans to cover them all.
Ninty should release DLC that allows you to remove stage hazards. That should just be some code, not hard to do at all. Then you'd have alot of viable stages for tourneys.

Revven

Brawl had no combos, but plenty of kill moves.

Smash 4 has combos, but no kill moves?

Nahh, characters definitely have kill moves. What it's missing are kill setups, like Dthrow > Knee. Too many moves send characters too high to follow-up with a KO move (at least as far as we've seen and tried).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The music of this goddamn game.

How can anything else win Soundtrack of the Year? HOW!?

Nah, the amount of re-used songs really brings it down...especially as quite a few series don't have any new songs.

emb

What I wonder is if the FD stages will be considered as one along with real FD. Are the blast zones different? The edges on the platform is at least different, I think. But I don't think it's such a big deal. Just treat "FD" as FD + all Omega modes for striking and bans. If players ban FD, opponent can't go to any FD. If you counterpick FD, you can go to any FD.

Gartooth

Oh God, and Mario Kart 8, too.

HOW AM I GONNA CHOOSE!?

This game's remixes are incredible, some of them are my favorite variations of the songs period. Still, I usually would pick a game with original compositions over one with mostly remixes.

Anteo

Ninty should release DLC that allows you to remove stage hazards. That should just be some code, not hard to do at all. Then you'd have alot of viable stages for tourneys.

Sakura: You will still be able to control the apparition of items, but you won't be able to turn off stage hazards. If we did that, you'd find yourself with PSASB!

What I wonder is if the FD stages will be considered as one along with real FD. Are the blast zones different? The edges on the platform is at least different, I think. But I don't think it's such a big deal. Just treat "FD" as FD + all Omega modes for striking and bans. If players ban FD, opponent can't go to any FD. If you counterpick FD, you can go to any FD.

But that would give problems too, lets say I am fighting a Megaman, I could use FD but not a FD with walls and now I have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom