• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rumors from IMO 99% reliable sources say 4 chars are gonna be DLC, Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie and Chorus Kids.

It makes perfect sense when you look at the CSS as there are only 4 more slots available.

Just hope that he's right. I would hate to see him getting banned because his friend lied to him.

-Horizon-

Hey, they could go back to shapes/objects. GameCone!
No pyramid no sale.

3yPu0Rf.png

Rock the Dragon.
If it doesn't glow yellow when I'm playing then it's a bad product.

Neiteio

The demo has been fun, but I can only play so much of 2-minute Battlefield against CPUs with items, or 2-minute FD Battlefield with no items, choosing from five characters.

I've had my fill of the demo and look forward to the variety of the full game.

Jaeger

I mean, we're all hoping. So far, focus has been on 3DS mainly, and the only thing we know that's different is that the Wii U has no smash run and has different stages. Oh, and challenges are harder. I think that's it. All special modes we know about are 3DS only, so far. We know absolutely nothing about Wii U's modes or features.

I mean, we don't need Smash Run, or extra modes for the game to be the definitive version. We aren't on 3DS devices. And there's really nothing else that needs to be said other than that.

When the Wii U version comes out, I personally won't be playing the 3DS version over the Wii U version. Yea, if I'm commuting somewhere I'll touch it. But I will be playing the console release non-stop. And I'm more than sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

DaBoss

I've been playing Mega Man a lot now in the demo because of the recent posts and have been consistently getting 2-3 KOs for a while now on lvl9 CPUs. Still trying things out.
I am not seeing it.
Some people enjoy seeing people survive longer. You don't have to see it. It is just preference.
If not for the new ledge mechanics I think the off stage game could be a lot more exciting with the improved recovery and bigger blastzones. But as it is, it just means it takes forever to KO without meteors or going off the top.
The new ledge mechanics have the potential to offer something more interesting. Wait for opponent to recover, go to the ledge and trump them, then get off ledge and go for some attacks. I've seen some people do it (Zero's stream had people do it with Dedede).
this is called combo DI

all the top players do it to entertain their fans
Anth0ny pls.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
The demo has been fun, but I can only play so much of 2-minute Battlefield against CPUs with items, or 2-minute FD Battlefield with no items, choosing from five characters.

Agreed.

It just makes me mad honestly . . because I want the actual game so bad.

Axass

I absolutely appreciate what Sakurai created and his efforts, but more and more it's becoming so obvious this version is as half-assed as it gets when it comes to "polish," they polished the weirdest things but forgot some crucial features.

It's obvious at this point they somewhat rushed this game and the Wii U version is REALLY where it is at.

Do not agree. They got right the two things that mattered the most: the online, which is apparently very good, and the character balance; of course it's early to say this but right now most people agree that all characters, bar very few, are good and nice to play as. There are no broken or absolute crap characters.

Damn I want to play too!!!! You guys with the japanese 3DSs are so lucky, can't wait to play against SmashGAF
and lose

The game is freaking out and people have unlocked everything. This dream of more characters is really silly to me, BS rumors and claims and everything.

Until there is actually conformation of DLC or something I've settled with the fact we know the full roster until Smash 5 on the Wii Z.

Shush!

AxBOSuA.png

Anbec7

Any good matches compilation out there? or good little Mac gameplay?

Also there was someone I don't know if it was in this thread doing a superb job putting all the custom moves.
Is he/she still doing that?
Could someone point me out in the right direction?
Thanks!

Anyone? :( also no Nintendo Direct news for TGS??

georly

Even the single player content is fantastic, because I think they struck a good variety/length balance.

It's 5 quick rounds + 1 final boss, so it's never that long, and you never feel like it's TOO hard. You get 2 stock per stage (if you lose one, you get it back for the next stage), unlike previous smash bros where you had the same stock all through classic/adventure mode, and if you lost one, that loss carried over to the next stage.

Even all-star mode on 'difficult' isn't that bad if you're not goofing around. Relatively quick, too for as large of a roster that the game has.

I assume it'll be much harder on Wii U due to the better control schemes and the fact that he said challenges will be harder. So far, nothing has been 'impossible' on 3DS, all of the challenges are EXTREMELY doable.

I mean, we don't need Smash Run, or extra modes for the game to be the definitive version. We aren't on 3DS devices. And there's really nothing else that needs to be said other than that.

When the Wii U version comes out, I personally won't be playing the 3DS version over the Wii U version. Yea, if I'm commuting somewhere I'll touch it. But I will be playing the console release non-stop. And I'm more than sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

If it has FEWER modes than 3DS, that will make it disappointing :p I expect there to be content to make up for the lack of smash run. You can't just design all of those enemies and then not... reuse them. Seems like a waste to me. Yes, I know they'd all need new art assets for Wii U, but the enemy 'objects' can transfer over. Really hoping we get an adventure mode or something.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The new ledge mechanics have the potential to offer something more interesting. Wait for opponent to recover, go to the ledge and trump them, then get off ledge and go for some attacks. I've seen some people do it (Zero's stream had people do it with Dedede).

I've done that and it's good fun, and exciting, but it doesn't happen often. Maybe against players and not CPUs it will happen more. With the CPU it usually makes every effort to get back to neutral, not fight offstage to get the kill.

Fuck people's DLC list that don't include Wolf, Lucas and ICs.

ICs being gone is so disappointing, and it's funny because I never cared about them at all back in the day. I enjoyed playing Wolf but I can let go of characters that were only in a single game. ICs have been with us since 2001, only a couple years longer than the original 12. :(

Teknoman

Dunno if it was answered, but can you grab people mid air?

Also it just hit me that Megaman's air down A has a delay so that means you actually have a little time to move with your opponent to aim it.

Custom moves arent available for online play in any mode right ( fun, glory, friends)?

Jaeger

Fuck people's DLC list that don't include Wolf, Lucas and ICs.

My list would be;

Mewtwo
Ridley
Wolf
IC
Proto Man

Don't care for Lucas, though. :p

If it has FEWER modes than 3DS, that will make it disappointing :p I expect there to be content to make up for the lack of smash run. You can't just design all of those enemies and then not... reuse them. Seems like a waste to me. Yes, I know they'd all need new art assets for Wii U, but the enemy 'objects' can transfer over. Really hoping we get an adventure mode or something.

I hear ya. Here's hoping for that special Wii U mode or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were just banking on the WiiU exclusive mode being Gamecube controllers. Hopefully we at least get event matches though.

woodland

I am not seeing it.

Join the club. Also dislike the new ledge mechanics but hey, that's why people go back to older releases ;\ Looks like I'm pulling a Halo 4 and going back to 3 and 2 on this one.

Actually - been playing a lot of 64 lately since my friend brought his to school. Also finally got around to getting Brawl and a 2GB SD for PM on my Wii U. Things are looking up^^.

kimtish

Neo Member
Hey Smashgaf, new to the OT.

What's the status of Pac? Good? Bad?

I haven't seen anyone playing him on stream yet and no one seems to really be too interested in him.

I personally really wanna pick him up.
Thoughts?

Neiteio

Honestly, all I want for DLC is Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Mewtwo.

I'd also want Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Snake if I allow myself to dream, but the first four I mentioned would round out the Character Select Screen perfectly.

Teknoman

Hey Smashgaf, new to the OT.

What's the status of Pac? Good? Bad?

I haven't seen anyone playing him on stream yet and no one seems to really be too interested in him.

I personally really wanna pick him up.
Thoughts?

His moves look pretty good from what was shown on one of the earlier streams.

Gardios

Any good matches compilation out there? or good little Mac gameplay?

Also there was someone I don't know if it was in this thread doing a superb job putting all the custom moves.
Is he/she still doing that?
Could someone point me out in the right direction?
Thanks!

I'd recommend checking out Clash tournaments on youtube for the recently uploaded Smash 4 tournament with these two matches in particular have some great Little Mac gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2fkkQnVGI&index=1&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdOVX2FXGLM&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA

And I believe JoeInky has been doing the writeups for the custom moves with ROB's coming up next.

kimtish

Neo Member
Honestly, all I want for DLC is Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers and Mewtwo.

I'd also want Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Snake if I allow myself to dream, but the first four I mentioned would round out the Character Select Screen perfectly.

It would drive me crazy to support that practice though. Remove characters from the game to Offer as DLC characters later.

That sucks. I'd rather buy brand new guys that play unlike anything I've played before.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm glad they made Rosalina turn fucking invisible when she rolls.

CAUSE YOU CAN TOTALLY SEE WHERE SHE'S GOING AND WHERE SHE WILL END UP

Yeah, I just played against her for the first time as Palutena and I ended up losing. I managed to come back by bouncing Luma back with Reflect Barrier and parrying Rosalina's Smashes with Counter, but it was ultimately just too much. I need more practice against her. :/ Still managed to keep my Win Rate above 60%, though, so yay!

Anbec7

The only thing I expect ffrom the Wii U version is a really, really good stage builder. I had fun with Brawl's, even though it was very limited. I can only dream what a perfect stage builder on smash bros can be.

Imagine being able to control vertical and horizontal stage size, with multiple levels of control. Controlling the size of blast zones. Chose from several different, franchise based, tilesets and backgrounds, as well as creating a customized music playlist with any music from the game. All this, plus a lot of variation on the tilesets (hazards, platform types and such), and maybe even tile design using the gamepad, can make it pretty much perfect for me. Given Sakurai's focus on costumization, I'm holding high hopes for a stage builder on Wii U!

On another note, I'll repeat a question I've made some pages back: ha anyone tried to spectate matches yet? If yes, how is it? Is there any confirmation that the matches spectated are live?

Jaeger

I'm gonna give these guys a test run;

Palutena
WFT
Dark Pit
Little Mac
Lucina
Greninja

More than likely, I will stick with my Melee/Brawl mains;

Ganondorf
ZSS
Sheik

Whoever survives tryouts will get elevated to the mains.

AdaWong

Oh and apparently you can't play as Lucina with her mask on, it doesn't work like Guile's shades.

Lol @ my hype for this game. Kinda sad actually. Oh well.

Zubz

Banned
Impa deconfirmed :(

If a character trophy is a solid deconfirm, then all the DLC'd have to be from Mach Rider, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, or 3rd Parties, with Snake being the only cut character with a chance; I'm doubting a trophy's stopping a character from getting added.

Speaking of trophies, though, anyone find one for Hawlucha?

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time it's ROB, who gets a lot of hate for some reason, but he's cool as shit so it's obviously people just being frustrated that they aren't as cool as he is!

Neutral Special 1 (Robo Beam)

YjNHLj1.jpg
eYJXdRq.jpg

ROB shoots a laser from his eyes, the trajectory of the beam can be adjusted by pushing the stick up or down during the startup of the move and the laser will bounce off of walls and floors.

You start off with let's just call it a level 1 charge (don't know what the official term is) and if you don't use the move it increases to a level 2 charge.
Pressing the input shoots a laser depending on the charge level, the level 1 laser does 11% at close range and 5% at max distance and the level 2 laser does 17% at close range and 10% at max distance. The knockback for both lasers seems the same, though the level 2 laser is more horizontal.

After using the move, it takes 2 seconds to return to level 1 charge and then a further 12 seconds after that to get to level 2.

If you use the move before it gets back to level 1, it resets the charge timer and the move does nothing, the animation will play but only sparks will appear.

Neutral Special 2 (Piercing Robo Beam)

KfUJQvf.jpg
AXotnFN.jpg

Seems to have slightly higher startup, allowing you to make more use of the increased trajectory angle that allows you to aim it almost vertically.

Loses damage in favour of a piercing ability, with the level 1 doing 10% close range and 3% max range and level 2 doing 15% at close range and 8% max range.

The recharge time, the knockback and the range is comparable to the default Robo Beam, so I think this move is more intended for FFA and hitting multiple people, though the improved ability to aim the laser might prove useful to some people in 1v1 situations - potentially has a use for edgeguarding below the stage safely as you can angle it further down off the side of the stage

Neutral Special 3 (Quickshot Robo Beam)

JRBXr76.jpg
13uMGf0.jpg

This variation lets you use at least a level 1 laser every time you press the button, it will never reset to level 0, though the range is now decreased to 3/4s of the original distance and it takes a whopping 24 seconds to get to a level 2 charge.

The startup is slightly longer (about 12 frames maybe) and the laser loses the ability to bounce off of walls it seems, it has similar knockback, but the move loses out on damage as well, doing only 7% at close range and 2% at max distance for level 1 and 14% close range and 10% at max distance.

Side Special 1 (Arm Rotor)

pvK6tAB.jpg
2r4jWKZ.jpg

Very similar to the original move in Brawl, only now it ends with an uppercut that does increased damage and knockback.

ROB spins his arms for a second and jumps slightly forward, reflecting any projectiles during the spin (with a 1.5x damage multiplier) and doing 1% damage a hit for 8 hits, he then finishes it off with a 3% damage uppercut that has decent horizontal knocback.

You can angle ROBs arms up and down during the spin by moving left and right, but the uppercut will always be in the direction ROB was facing when you used the move.

Side Special 2 (Power Spin)

Kr0kQfL.jpg
yA2i7jl.jpg

In this variation, the spin lasts for half as long, but the damage and knockback is increased, though the move is no longer multi-hit.

It does 2% damage and minor knockback during the spin animation and 4% with decent knockback on the uppercut, the knockback on the spin is enough to make sure the move doesn't combo into itself, though the range on the upper cut is larger than the spin, so you can get it when spaced properly.

The other benefit to this move is that, although the spin is shorter, the spin still retains the ability to reflect projectiles and it has a 1.8x damage modifier on reflected projectiles.

This seems like a move that might be a bit harder to use properly, but the increased attributes may be worth it if you know what you're doing, though the loss of the multi-hit spin makes it a bit less fun for me.

Also of some note is that this version will stall your momentum during the spin when used in the air.

Side Special 3 (Quick Spin)

pWQ0M4d.jpg

This variation has the shortest spin duration of all three moves, it's very similar to the Power Spin in that the spin does 2% and the uppercut does 4%, but the uppercut comes out much quicker and this move does combo into itself.

You can still reflect projectiles during the spin, but it's much harder to do and it's back to the 1.5x damage multiplier for this move.

I guess the benefit to this move is that you're practically guaranteed to connect with the uppercut, with the other 2 it's either easier to get out of or it gives you a long enough chance to DI out of, I think the sparkles are supposed to indicate something that I might have missed but I can't figure it out, definitely doesn't have any push back or shieldbreaker properties, and the hitbox doesn't seem to be any larger.

Up Special 1 (Robo Burner)

b8Yir70.jpg
r6OSJw2.jpg

ROB has an invisible property in smash: a fuel gauge. Using this move will allow ROB to fly in the air at the cost of fuel, once the fuel runs out, he can no longer use it again until he returns to the ground.

Once on the ground, his fuel gauge will slowly recharge back to full strength which, by my count, seems to be around 4 seconds.

Using the move never puts you into special fall and you can still execute your aerials or let go of the button to stop using the move. The move itself does no damage whatsoever, it is purely for recovering.

Up Special 2 (Robo Blastoff)

E3RFTix.jpg
wXHOKs6.jpg

Like many characters in the game with a "controllable flight" recovery, ROB has a variation that forgoes the control aspect for a quick, purely vertical launch with less distance.

You can no longer use your aerials until the move has ended and you get very little horizontal distance out of it, but it is very quick which means you're less vulnerable and the move does 5% damage during the startup and it will meteor smash, and the initial hitbox is pretty generous so it's quite a good customisation.

I should probably also mention the fact that the recharge time for your fuel is instantaneous the moment you touch the ground, that's a pretty big benefit I guess.

Up Special 3 (Robo Flight)

aTCvACk.jpg

In this variation, you trade vertical height for increased horizontal control, nothing else about the move seems to be different from what I could find, so if anyone knows something that I don't, that would be helpful.

Down Special 1 (Gyro)

wDj6sWX.jpg
F9E5aVb.jpg
bwcCoEO.jpg

A chargeable projectile that can be picked up and re-thrown after use, takes about 1.5 seconds to fully charge what is basically a spinning top that spins on the ground when thrown, the time it stays there depends on the charge time, if you throw it instantly it will only last 5 seconds but at full charge it stays onscreen for ~8 seconds, though for the last ~1.5 seconds the move will no longer do damage to enemies that walk into it.

The charge time seems to have no effect on the damage the Gyro does, it will always do 8-10% damage when thrown regardless of how long it was charged and 5% damage per hit if someone walks into it whilst it spins on the ground.

Can be picked up and thrown by you and your enemies, so it can be used against you. Trying to use the move whilst there is already an active Gyro on screen (either spinning or in someones hands), will cause a misfire animation and do nothing.

Down Special 2 (Burning Gyro)

bvkmjdA.jpg
Hf3QUwB.jpg

u4GAecu.jpg

Stays active for a shorter time (4 seconds at minimum charge, 7 seconds at maximum charge), but does more damage per hit (11-13% when thrown, 7% whilst spinning).

The move may also take more time to charge, but the increase is minimal, if there at all.

Everything else about the move is the same or at least very similar.

Down Special 3 (Greasy Gyro)

joOWxnf.jpg
HrEnjmk.jpg

XMWh1fB.jpg

With this variation, the Gyro will cause tripping when it his someone on the ground.

When you use the move in the air, ROB will throw the Gyro like he normally would but if you use it on the ground, it will slide along the floor, with the distance traveled increasing as charge time increases.

The move does 7-10% damage when thrown (doesn't cause trip when thrown) and 3% damage + trip whilst on the ground.

Final Thoughts

I think the Gyro customisations leave much to be desired, the tripping one is alright I guess but the slightly more damage for slightly less duration one is a bit boring, I'd have liked one that did much less damage but let you have 2 onscreen at once or something like that.

It's all pretty standard for ROB, now that I think about it, its definitely not on the same level as Fox or Bowser, though I do like the shorter spin Arm Rotor customs just because they make it easier to connect with the uppercut which is a fun addition to that move in general.

Recovery specials are very similar to, though I could see the one that causes meteor smashes get a lot of use as meteors are one of the best ways to get a KO in this game.

I actually prefer just the default beam for ROB, the Quickfire one could be useful if you plan on using that move more than every 2 seconds, but I don't see much point in it, or the Piercing beam.

Up next:
4Wo5Mrb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom