• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until people go back to Melee/PM and start shitting on the game calling it Brawl 2.0 again x)

It will be the same thing but in HD. It is easy to imagine.
You are nuts, control scheme alone makes it a different game. Even the pros playing now are not playing to their full capabilities.

Makai

Someone said that Villager has aerial smashes and his down aerial smash spikes. I don't think this is actually true. As far as I can tell, he has no aerial smashes and his Dair spikes if you get three turnips and hit with the middle one.

Someone said that Villager has aerial smashes and his down aerial smash spikes. I don't think this is actually true. As far as I can tell, he has no aerial smashes and his Dair spikes if you get three turnips and hit with the middle one.

I should make my parents read some of these forum posts & try to explain them to me.

StayDead

I should make my parents read some of these forum posts & try to explain them to me.

fair = forward air
dair = downair
bair = back air
uair = up air.

fsmash = forward smash
usmash = up smash
dsmash = down smash.

Spiking, which AFAIK is only possible through meteor smashing now (which is where you get hurled downwards and bounce off the floor) ir a good way of killing off stage.

Spiking, which AFAIK is only possible through meteor smashing now (which is where you get hurled downwards and bounce off the floor) ir a good way of killing off stage.

I undestand it perfectly fine. I was just saying it'd be funny to have my parents try to figure it out. Like try to read that sentence pretending you know next to nothing of smash.

StayDead

I undestand it perfectly fine. I was just saying it'd be funny to have my parents try to figure it out. Like try to read that sentence pretending you know next to nothing of smash.

Ohh, I thought you meant that you understood so little of it that you'd need your parents to try and work it out haha.

Just a reminder that the game has been out for about a week and the metagame will no doubt continue to evolve over the years. I'm hopeful that there will be a lot more advanced techniques to come that will turn Smash 4 into a huge success competitively.

It's got legs.

GamerSoul

the rubber padding on my circle pad occasionally slides off but it was loose before the demo.i wonder if super glue will do the trick..

CassSept

Playing the demo, am I weird or is Pikachu really freaking good. I'm getting used to the controls but damn, I have problem with some characters but Pikachu is beastly.

Aside from that, it feels really hard to knock out enemies in that game, 2 minute matches suck.

Aside from that, it feels really hard to knock out enemies in that game, 2 minute matches suck.
I feel you need to be aggressive in chasing players off the stage rather than relying on knockback if you want kills at lower % now. Also there is that whole rage thing where having more damage makes you do more knockback.

trixx

Wow lots of people having issues with circle pad. I think I should stop playing the demo, needa save that for alpha sapphire(I know you can use dpad)

I'm getting pretty annoyed fighting lvl 9 Mario in the demo. It's like impossible to punish him for anything. I still win most of the time, but I hate having to go to sudden death just because I couldn't get a single kill in 2 minutes. All Mario does is smash attack and I just have to piddle away at him from a distance as Villager. Seriously all of Mario's smashes have like zero endlag.

I won't have a problem beating lvl 9 CPUs once I can get rid of the shitty time limit but it's still frustrating when I can't get a KO within 2 minutes. Any tips for for Villager or in general?

GamerSoul

The higher your percent, the more knockback your attacks have (same damage, just more knockback). The effect is actually pretty subtle, unlike VI at higher percents.

gotcha, it will be interesting to see how all this effects how the game is played a few months down the road.

CassSept

It will be an interesting thing to lelearn Smash Bros, I was never too good at chasing people off the stage.

The higher your percent, the more knockback your attacks have (same damage, just more knockback). The effect is actually pretty subtle, unlike VI at higher percents.

What is VI exactly?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What is VI exactly?

Vector influence, or more simply put, knockback influence.

Basically, you hold a direction while you are launched away by your opponent and you will gain momentum in that direction. So if they hit you straight up and you hold right, you will go up and to the right. Or you could hold down and since it's the opposite direction you were going, it will subtract momentum causing you to not go as high.

This is different from DI (directional influence) in previous Smash games because that didn't change your momentum, rather, it only changed the angle. So you would still go the same distance. That's not the case with VI which changes both the angle and the distance you get launched.

Golnei

Holy fuck Kid Icarus gets like 60 trophies in Smash 3DS.

Meanwhile, Wario only has five, and it's all the stuff in the game.

As with Brawl, if a series has models which can easily be ported en masse, it's likely to get a lot of trophies. Because that doesn't apply to MOTHER, Wario(Ware) and pre-Tellius FE, it's only to be expected that their trophy selection will be a little lacking.

Uploaded some more shots in my spare time:

yDGKxco.jpg

Just a robot boy and his spring-loaded dog

SjJk38y.jpg

My childhood arch-nemesis. I hated Elec Man more than those platforms in Guts Man's stage

zZBrSyF.jpg

So much for that whole "Last Metroid in captivity/Galaxy at peace" thing

iZ66TM7.jpg

Cowboys vs. Aliens

W2DVn36.jpg

Bad dog! Not on the Residential zone!

IIoNXEX.jpg

Somehow this looks different than I remembered

Y2zxMRi.jpg

Hey! Watch where you're going!

CLvGtju.jpg

Good dog! Have a pear!

HjgpAWu.jpg

Not so "Super" now, are ya?

uKldfh4.jpg

I shot the Sheriff~!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck Kid Icarus gets like 60 trophies in Smash 3DS.

Meanwhile, Wario only has five, and it's all the stuff in the game.

Wario isn't really a huge/major franchise for Nintendo so it's understandable it wouldn't get all that many trophies. Unlike Kid Icarus which is clearly a major pillar franchise.

Kade

Almost forgot the reason I was making this post initally, my roster:

iNfk0tz7NMNxw.PNG

Shades of the Mario Kart 8 thread right here. All that's missing is ViewtifulJC fucking me out of of a victory on a volcano stage with Donkey Kong, DaBoss intentionally vectoring/knockback influencing himself into blast zones when people play the slots and get lucky and Fey/Kade/CrimsonCommie catchin' feelings because Fool's Gold Peach vs Rosalina is a bad matchup. :lol (There might be an appearance from ffgdh or ohlawd who decides to main Jigglypuff for maximum parity between game OTs)

Here's the SmashBoards post.

Keep my name (and PGP's) out ya mouth, J.

yDGKxco.jpg

SjJk38y.jpg

My childhood arch-nemesis. I hated Elec Man more than those platforms in Guts Man's stage

zZBrSyF.jpg

iZ66TM7.jpg

Cowboys vs. Aliens

W2DVn36.jpg

IIoNXEX.jpg

Y2zxMRi.jpg

CLvGtju.jpg

Good dog! Have a pear!

HjgpAWu.jpg

uKldfh4.jpg

I shot the Sheriff~!

These images are great; very Sakurai like.

JoeM86

Almost done with my write-up of the Pokémon customs (got engrossed in Hyrule Warriors. Apologies), just waiting for translation on the names then will post :) Again, won't be as in-depth as JoeInky's, but should be illuminating.

Durden77

As with Brawl, if a series has models which can easily be ported en masse, it's likely to get a lot of trophies. Because that doesn't apply to MOTHER, Wario(Ware) and pre-Tellius FE, it's only to be expected that their trophy selection will be a little lacking.

Or ya know, cause Sakurai thinks he's god.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, what is the victory theme of Mother series in Brawl and 4 based from? I know 64 and Melee uses the last bits of Eight Melodies (EB ver.)

Cranzor

Say, what is the victory theme of Mother series in Brawl and 4 based from? I know 64 and Melee uses the last bits of Eight Melodies (EB ver.)

It's still from Eight Melodies in this game.

EDIT: Huh, seems I'm wrong. It sounds just like one of the segments though!

zroid

Banned
I'm getting pretty annoyed fighting lvl 9 Mario in the demo. It's like impossible to punish him for anything. I still win most of the time, but I hate having to go to sudden death just because I couldn't get a single kill in 2 minutes. All Mario does is smash attack and I just have to piddle away at him from a distance as Villager. Seriously all of Mario's smashes have like zero endlag.

I won't have a problem beating lvl 9 CPUs once I can get rid of the shitty time limit but it's still frustrating when I can't get a KO within 2 minutes. Any tips for for Villager or in general?

As Villager? Tr
ee
harder.

AdaWong

yDGKxco.jpg

SjJk38y.jpg

zZBrSyF.jpg

iZ66TM7.jpg

Cowboys vs. Aliens

W2DVn36.jpg

IIoNXEX.jpg

Y2zxMRi.jpg

CLvGtju.jpg

Good dog! Have a pear!

HjgpAWu.jpg

uKldfh4.jpg

I shot the Sheriff~!
These are fantastic! lol post more

Golnei

grumble. it's not really super little mac unless he's shirtless.

(Nice shots though)

I would have preferred it to have been shirtless, but considering the way the top is modeled, especially on the Wii U version, it would have required just as much work as any other modeled alt.

And if they had gone with just a texture, it'd look really weird on the shoulders and collar. Though I guess they could have used the torso of Giga Mac as a base, seeing as they use the same rig anyway...

Who

Banned
I bought a 2DS yesterday and have been playing the demo on it, I love it. It's mind blowing that this is running on the 3DS so smoothly! Well done Sakurai.

Only thing is the 2DS feels a bit awkward for extended play. I'm thinking about picking up the trigger grip from GameStop... Anyone have any experience/impressions from it?

Wait, you can't use the Dpad for smash?

No sadly... Just like with the CCPRO in Brawl it's limited to taunts :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom