• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden77

Holy Bawlz.

How are you going to customize your comtrol scheme?

B - jump
Y - attack
X - special

What do you think bout that? First time smash player here.

For me I'll probably go...

X/A jump
B Standard attack
Y Special

But that's coming from someone that's used to a GC controller.

365.jpg

How good is the control mapping? Is it a set amount of options or can you fully customize it. I kinda wanna try putting throw on a button and maybe if its possible run on a shoulder button. I have trouble dashing on the 3ds stick.

Guesong

It's nice Ganondorf has customs that give him his sword, but I question why these weren't just his regular specials to make him an original character.

Wouldn't really be original, per se. Warlock Stab is still Warlock Punch. It's not suddendly Dead Man's Volley or Trident Spin.

But yes, it would have helped the perception of Falcondorf.

also

Banned
How are you going to customize your comtrol scheme?

B - jump
Y - attack
X - special

What do you think bout that? First time smash player here.
Why would you leave out A and map special to X? Having both kind of attacks accessible without having to move your thumb should be the priority.

B - jump
A - attack
Y - special
R - grab
L - shield

Moodkip

Holy whoaomg the lvl9 CPU's in this game are hard.

I handled Melee & Brawl's lvl9's with ease. Level 9 Mario just whooped my Megaman like 8 times in a row.

Kangi

Watching FOW struggle against Donkey Kong with Duck Hunt and promptly switching to Ness and decimating him was astounding.

Something tells me I'll be satisfied with my mains this time around.

Wouldn't really be original, per se. Warlock Stab is still Warlock Punch. It's not suddendly Dead Man's Volley or Trident Spin.

But yes, it would have helped the perception of Falcondorf.
I've only seen a couple since information seems all over the place (and I reeeeeeally want that projectile you can always volley back to him to get in eventually), but what you said is basically what I meant. I could see people gravitating towards the stuff that differentiates him from Falcon better, so it may as well have been his default while his Melee/Brawl specials were alts.

ffdgh

Holy whoaomg the lvl9 CPU's in this game are hard.

I handled Melee & Brawl's lvl9's with ease. Level 9 Mario just whooped my Megaman like 8 times in a row.

Yeah cpu mario will literally block or reflect back everything megaman throws at him lol.

also

Banned
Quite frankly, after playing 3 hours of demo I already adjusted.

I've gotten better but I it still doesn't feel good. Now I don't know if this is due to the 3DS's awful circle pad or just due to default control scheme. Can't believe they released the demo with such a glaring omission.
I was unsure about getting the 3DS version in the first place and this demo just put me off even more.

Toxi

Banned
He's a zoning type character who can throw a ton of hitboxes on the screen. Generally those types of characters have lower damage to compensate for how well they protect themselves, but Duck Hunt actually has pretty high damage among the cast from what I can tell. He's probably gonna be good.

He's a zoning type character who can throw a ton of hitboxes on the screen. Generally those types of characters have lower damage to compensate for how well they protect themselves, but Duck Hunt actually has pretty high damage among the cast from what I can tell.

So Duck Hunt has the potential to be higher or even top tier?

Toxi

Banned
So what, Duck Hunt has the potential to be higher or even top tier?
Just my unfounded impression. I'm just watching streams and noticing how much damage DH does with projectiles compared to the norm.

Also, he's going to obliterate some match-ups. Imagine trying to approach the dog with Ganondorf.

Kjellson

I have a pretty random question. When you win Classic Mode with Bowser Jr., do you get just his trophy or all the Koopalings too?

JoeInky

When Ness uses PK freeze, does he yell PK freeze?

Yes.

I'm going to be so sick of Smash Run by the time I've unlocked all the custom moves, it's annoyingly hard to get the ones you need (played it 4 times now trying to get one move and nothing) and it's so incredibly same-y.

The enemy variety in Smash Run is a lot less than I thought it would be as well, there's maybe 50 different enemies and some series don't even have any (No enemy units from FE, nothing warioware related, no game and watch stuff, no animal crossing, starfox or F-Zero stuff).

It's a very boring mode and I hate that it's apparently the best way to get custom moves, because I'm going to be playing it for a long time.

Yes.

I'm going to be so sick of Smash Run by the time I've unlocked all the custom moves, it's annoyingly hard to get the ones you need (played it 4 times now trying to get one move and nothing) and it's so incredibly same-y.

The enemy variety in Smash Run is a lot less than I thought it would be as well, there's maybe 50 different enemies and some series don't even have any (No enemy units from FE, nothing warioware related, no game and watch stuff, no animal crossing, starfox or F-Zero stuff).

It's a very boring mode and I hate that it's apparently the best way to get custom moves, because I'm going to be playing it for a long time.
I heard there were boss fights in that mode, were they lying?

FirLocke

Ugh, the demo is so limited! It's beautiful though. Lvl 9's are definitely harder than in Brawl, but that might just be because of the controls. It's taking me a bit to get used to them. Thankfully we can swap the shield and grab buttons in the full game. I'm liking Mega Man more than I thought I would, and I'm not liking Villager as much as I thought I would. Pika & Mario are great, Link seems improved, but not by a terrific amount.

I wish we could turn off items! Ghirahim and Dark Samus are bad ass assists though.

Masked Man

I said wow
The tough thing about Smash Run is that you're not even guaranteed to get custom moves when you play. Oh, well. Ness's third Down Special (Suction PK Shield) is cool!

Rocked

Ugh, the demo is so limited! It's beautiful though. Lvl 9's are definitely harder than in Brawl, but that might just be because of the controls. It's taking me a bit to get used to them. Thankfully we can swap the shield and grab buttons in the full game. I'm liking Mega Man more than I thought I would, and I'm not liking Villager as much as I thought I would. Pika & Mario are great, Link seems improved, but not by a terrific amount.

I wish we could turn off items! Ghirahim and Dark Samus are bad ass assists though.

SO JEALOUS!!! How many characters are actually playable in the demo? Again if anyone has any PAL codes I'd massively grateful. I've looked absolutely everywhere! :(

Anyone in London going to the launch event/tournament? https://www.facebook.com/events/1460577850862896/?fref=ts

JoeInky

I heard there were boss fights in that mode, were they lying?

One of the random events that can happen is that an enemy becomes "wanted" and if you defeat it you get bonus stuff.

The only two enemies I've ever seen become wanted were Bonkers (the kirby enemy with the hammer) and the Ice Climbers Polar bear, but they also appear as normal enemies without the wanted thing, I've seen no "bosses" per se.

One of the random events that can happen is that an enemy becomes "wanted" and if you defeat it you get bonus stuff.

The only two enemies I've ever seen become wanted were Bonkers (the kirby enemy with the hammer) and the Ice Climbers Polar bear, but they also appear as normal enemies without the wanted thing, I've seen no "bosses" per se.

Then the Kraid and Kremling boss were probably lies or fake. Dammit GameXplain.

Neutral Special 3 (PK Freeze)

42FoyjV.jpg

Looks and moves exactly the same as the PK Flash, except it's blue and freezes whoever it hits based on the amount of damage they have.

Does 9% damage, 2 second freeze at minimum charge and 18% damage, 4 second freeze at maximum charge, though I'm assuming the freeze times should be lower when used on real people (if it ever actually hits them) seing as you can probably escape it by pressing buttons. Knockback is massively reduced.

Again, special fall, don't ask me why because nobody knows.

Side Special 3 (PK Fire α)

nM3r2kL.jpg

Seems to go slightly further than the default PK fire and will always travel horizontally.

Spawns a flame pillar that will only last for 2 hits that do 1% and then 8%, the knockback on the second hit is higher and knocks them away from you, which means it's a good keepaway tool. Has exactly the same startup and endlag as default PK Fire from what I can tell.

The increased travel distance means that you can pivot cancel it from further away, make it a safer option, it doesn't have the same potential for combo setups as PK fire 1, but there aren't many combo options off of a PK Fire in this game other than 1 more move or a grab.

Up Special 2 (Lucas' PK Thunder)

d1rZ6Fw.jpg
o7Knyy0.jpg

The thunder this time travels slower but can go through enemies, the head of the thunder has pretty high knockback to prevent you from hitting multiple times, but the tail hitbox does less knockback and damage, so if you manage to hit them with that, you can trap them inside the thunder and do around 20-30% damage, otherwise it does 7-8% damage.

When you hit yourself with it, you seem to go further than the default PK Thunder and it traps other players inside your hitbox, doing 1% damage a hit until the final hit which does 10% and has increased knockback, which is less than default PK Thunder.

Down Special 3 (Lucas' PSI Magnet)

KmRFu2v.jpg
WfCARt7.jpg

For this move, Ness holds the magnet out in front of him, has higher ending lag and does 9% damage if the other player's hitbox is overlapping the center of the Magnet hitbox when you release the button, they can be inside it without touching the middle and not get hurt.

The higher endlag makes it easier to punish you if you read the wrong move or something and that combined with the fact that the magnet is in front of you makes you vulnerable to crossups, but I think it's a better option than the default if the other player has an energy projectile, otherwise I'd just go with the second DSpecial.

;(

You could of given me a Lucas alt. costume if you were going to do this to me, Sakurai...

So according to Nintendo, the Special Demo is unlimited uses but the public demo is limited (like the JP Demo).

Can confirm that the Special Demo has unlimited uses.

I've just got one more custom move to get for Zelda and then I'll start one for Samus, also thanks.
Zelda will be cool. Do you have to beat Smash Run with the character you want to unlock moves for?

Are there other ways to unlock moves? I wonder how it will work on the Wii U version...

I want to see Mega Man's custom specials.

All of his stock specials besides Rush Coil are just plain bad.
Really? I use B and f.B a lot. Alternate them for good ground control.

Yes.

Not to mention no online...

You should post all of your writeups on GFAQs.

Twiforce

Excuse me, but to those of you who bought the game on Amazon Japan, I need a little help. I have a Japanese 3DS and have been trying to buy the game since yesterday. But for some reason my NNID can't use credit cards or something, so I thought I'd try and buy the download code from Amazon but it seems like I need a Japanese billing address? Did any of you use U.S. credit cards? I'm not really sure how to proceed.

Anyway, if anyone can help please PM me, I would really appreciate it.

JoeInky

Zelda will be cool. Do you have to beat Smash Run with the character you want to unlock moves for?

Are there other ways to unlock moves? I wonder how it will work on the Wii U version...

You can unlock them in other modes, but smash run is the easiest way to make sure you're picking up customisations, the ones you do get generally favour the character you're currently playing, though you will randomly get one for someone else now and then (you can also get duplicates which is incredibly annoying lol).

Not to mention no online...

You should post all of your writeups on GFAQs.

I don't go on GFAQs, I might make a smash boards thread about it though.

Also I just got the final Zelda custom, they're pretty tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom