• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Metal Face never shows up on Gaur Plains, though.

It would be odd for Sakurai to take one of the few stages that appears on both versions and add a stage boss to one version, but not the other.

With that said, I do think Ridley is indeed a stage boss on Pyrosphere.
Then they're likely exclusive to the Wii U version.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakurai blessed me and three friends with the special demo to burn our 3DS until the real deal arrives in October. Also I mash the Little Mac icon but nothing happens.

PS: Hi SmashGAF.

Welcome to SmashGAF :)

Just my unfounded impression. I'm just watching streams and noticing how much damage DH does with projectiles compared to the norm.

Also, he's going to obliterate some match-ups. Imagine trying to approach the dog with Ganondorf.

Hmm.I'm not sure about damage but I read people said that his damage is pretty low for most of attacks including ranged attacks. He seem to be pretty good campy character which isn't my type but I hope that I would able to find different style for him that would work very well if not then i will try to learn how to camp.

shaowebb

Yo Intelliheath have you found any new links with Ganondorf's faster moves? I'm seeing some good looking shit outta his running shoulder popping them above him now for setups.

Mariolee

GameXplain hastily whipping together an incomplete video so they can get the ad revenue before everybody else? You don't say.

What? Although it may not always be the case Gamexplain has usually been careful and thorough with their videos. They're usually the most comprehensive and well produced out there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Did anyone have online impressions?

I've played it for a bit online. Initial impressions are that the flat stage/no item modes seem to be more popular than the standard stage/item modes. You can choose to play free-for-all or teams in all modes. The flat stage/no item mode also offers a 1-on-1 mode.

Regarding the quality of online play, I don't think it's fair to judge things yet since I've only been playing against random Japanese players, and there's (expected) lag. Most matches I've played have been playable; a few were so bad that the connection dropped. I've also encountered connection errors when initially going online and usually have to try 2-3 times to get into matches.

Unlike say, Street Fighter, I find it much easier to deal with lag online because there's nothing complex you need to do execution-wise.

Have noticed that the Fire Emblem characters and Shulk seem to be pretty popular. In one set of matches, a Shulk player was absolutely dominating the rest of us, every time.

Would definitely like to try this against some American players to get a feel for what online is like closer to home.

Any Pacman players puttin up anything?I dont see ANYONE playing him.

Haven't seen anything, but I've been using him and he is AWESOME. Actually this is one game where I can't really say that I hate any of the characters' play styles.

I hope so! And sorry, I actually posted that before I read your first reply. I truly hope it's true! It's just interesting that, like, any vets/newcomers that could be DLC have trophies, it seems. I think we've had:

Ivysaur
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong

Have there been any others found?

K. Rool and Mewtwo have been found. The only one missing is Ridley, who is probably exclusive to the Wii U version since he's a stage boss on Pyrosphere.

Revven

『Inaba Resident』;129835016 said:
Any online impressions?

Did anyone have online impressions?

Online has been fairly positive, no input lag (reported so far) and any connection troubles that do appear it's likely because of who you're facing. The worst I've seen is the game freezing for a few seconds to re-stabilize the connection. Other than that, it seems miles better than Brawl by far.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh, sorry. GameExplain usually seems pretty comprehensive...

So, anyone see Ashley then? I don't want her to be found because it means the Wii U might have a chance of having unique ATs, such as a Donkey Kong one. :(

Actually, there don't appear to be any Mother 3 references at all.
All we need now is the Porky trophy to be translated find it completely ignores Mother 3 (like how Ice Climbers ignores Smash Bros...*)

*-I was going to say they've been in more Smash Bros games than Ice Climber games but vs. Ice Climber makes it equal (now the vs. series is as much of a VC crime as the early arcade games...now, I think the vs. series do not have any legal issues).

Also, why do you guys think they opted to cut Lucas entirely instead of making him a Ness alt like Olimar/Alph? There seems to be no reason they could have done this with him as well as the three big clones (Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina). I just don't understand why they chose to make them separate and kept Alph as an alt.
The alts are weird. Dixie, Blood Falcon, Daisy and Lucus seem like obvious ones (the former 3 has costumes that are almost there). But there is something those 4 have which Alph (I take it Alph is mute like Olimar) does not have. Unique voices. At that point you are almost on clone territory.

Blame the Koopalings maybe? (not really, I guess them being in MK8 meant the voice work could be a double session or more of a "hey Sakurai, we heard you wanted Bowser Jr. voices, well here are the Koopalings too")

Any Pacman players puttin up anything?I dont see ANYONE playing him.
I saw a player earlier complaining that he was the second worst character in the game; The problem being his attacks really lack throwback (so he has to KO with slow smashed) and his throw is shit...

Hatchtag

Banned
I'd say Ridley compares just as well to Metal Face teasing as he does Dark Pit teasing, imo.

seriously sakurai where are the custom robos? If they're not DLC or exclusive to the wii u version and simply got downgraded from AT status, thatd be a major bummer for me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to point me in the direction of a good read-up on the combo system?

Horseress

Online has been fairly positive, no input lag (reported so far) and any connection troubles that do appear it's likely because of who you're facing. The worst I've seen is the game freezing for a few seconds to re-stabilize the connection. Other than that, it seems miles better than Brawl by far.

That's awesome news

Pyrokai

You know what would surprise everyone for DLC as much as the MK8 DLC and probably make everyone
most
super happy? Professor Layton and Pheonix Wright as characters. They already have the Level 5 and Capcom partnership going on.

Make it happen. I would explode. Like, I seriously would explode.

The only thing that could top that would be Banjo-Kazooie.
call Microsoft, dammit!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
While waiting for an online match to start and practicing, a CPU partner for me showed up. He was an 8-bit sprite of a bird-man and had moves of his own. Does anyone know who this is? Is he an assist trophy? It only happened once, when I was using Pac-Man.

I saw a player earlier complaining that he was the second worst character in the game; The problem being his attacks really lack throwback (so he has to KO with slow smashed) and his throw is shit...

It's way, way too early to be ranking characters IMO. He seems like he has the right tools to do well and his smash is pretty awesome. Easy to rack up KOs. Don't like his air down+A though. It's like a really slow Chun head stomp.

munchie64

I know Sakurai holds a lot of sway in the series, but I really think Nintendo will push for DLC, whether he likes it or not. At least he likes patches!

I'd actually hate to see Lucas just become a costume alt like Alph is. We'd lose the Rope Snake! D:

But having found trophies of all the cut Brawl characters and all of Spainkiller's potential characters except for Lucas and Ridley is interesting. If some characters were planned to be unlocked via connection with Wii U, it's strange to me that they would even put trophies in of those characters. I suppose those trophies can be patched to have descriptive parenthetical text later on, though.

Just finished All Star mode as Sheik. What does this pic mean? Was Sheik in Skyward Sword or something?

R7Znkz2.jpg
This kinda makes me think Girahim was a cut character, unless other AT show up in others congrats screens.

I hope someone can datamine this game soon so maybe we can see if theres a forbidden seven type deal. Would be shocked if Chorus Kids wasn't one along with IC both being cut due to 3DS. Also wouldn't surprise me if Dark Samus was another one. Her assist trophy seems abit more fully featured than others.

Watch Da Birdie

What's the new Mother assist trophy?

Starman.

Not to be confused with Mario's Starman, or Mega Man's Star Man.

This kinda makes me think Girahim was a cut character, unless other AT show up in others congrats screens.
Huh? Why? All the Congratulations are just funny POTD-style pictures using in-game assets.

Ness' has Starman and Mr. Saturn in it.

I know Sakurai holds a lot of sway in the series, but I really think Nintendo will push for DLC, whether he likes it or not. At least he likes patches!
Yeah, day 1 patch is good news haha.

I really think DLC is inevitable though, especially with the weird size difference. The only question is what the DLC is.

Pyrokai

So here's the running list:

Ivysaur
Squirtle
Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Mewtwo

No Lucas yet? I'm surprised. I'm also not sure on Wolf.

That's good to hear! Wasn't sure if they'd do patches. I'm glad to hear it.

The alts are weird. Dixie, Blood Falcon, Daisy and Lucus seem like obvious ones (the former 3 has costumes that are almost there). But there is something those 4 have which Alph (I take it Alph is mute like Olimar) does not have. Unique voices. At that point you are almost on clone territory.

Blame the Koopalings maybe? (not really, I guess them being in MK8 meant the voice work could be a double session or more of a "hey Sakurai, we heard you wanted Bowser Jr. voices, well here are the Koopalings too")

Yeah...it really makes little sense. Alph does have a voice, though, and I think it's different from Olimar's in Pikmin 3. However, do they even speak in Smash? I think it's just Pikmin noises :p

And the voices thing kinda loses it when you think of Dr. Mario. Blaahhh.

Also....I wonder if Marth will still speak Japanese in the English version.....hmmm....

Watch Da Birdie

I'd be happy if DLC was some stages too...

Like if DK and Yoshi didn't get a new stage in the 3DS Version because Sakurai didn't have time to use DKCR3D or New Yoshi's Island, but they'll get stages via DLC.

Speaking of stages, is there a YT video of the new Kirby Stage? I still haven't seen it. Also one of Paper Mario, not the FD Version.

Santar

I really wish here was an option to double tap to run. precisely maneuvering the character on the ground can be a hassle as it is now. I keep running when I just want to walk. I had the same problem in Kid Icarus Uprising, I guess Sakurai really enjoys this control method.

That sounds awesome. Really excited.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh yeah, do the ATs have anything to do with All Star Mode? I thought that was hinted at earlier on, but I could be mistaken.

I think Sakurai just meant "All-Star" as in the All-Star cast of characters.

But perhaps it's something for the Wii U Version. I mean, quite a few Assist Trophies seem like they could work as basically CPU controlled assist characters who fight alongside you.

Man, the Wii U Version POTDs can't come soon enough! I hope Sakurai goes crazy with modes for it.

Actually, from what I've heard through streams, the Koopaling voices are all recycled from NSMBU, as is Bowser Jr.'s. Meaning that Wendy has her inferior voice work. Shame. I'm pretty surprised at the lack of new voice acting for Smash 4. I fully expected characters like Mario/Luigi/Wario/Peach to get some new voice clips in, but they all seem to be borrowed from Brawl.

Definitive Wii U version to be more polished???

All the Assist Trophies!

I didn't see Jeff, Kat & Ana (wait, are they back? the Miiverse site has them listed), Saki, or Ashley. Those are all the ATs we've seen in the Wii U version but not in the 3DS one.

Oh, and AliceAbstract in the other thread translated the Chorus Men Trophy...

I find it interesting how Sakurai mentions how many charming characters it has, and specifically points out the Chorus Men.

I REALLY think they're happening.

No Isaac
There's DLC hope

Forkball

Does Smash Run even support custom characters?

Yes, I figured it out.

When you enter Smash Run you are given four options: Smash Run, Local Smash Run, Preparation, and Music Options. In Preparation, you can customize your character. It's the same, except you get an extra option which is Smash Run Powers (those ? bags). These are similar to the 4-koma system of Jump Ultimate Stars. Basically your character has a point cap, and each power up costs a certain number of points. These power ups range from dropping items on the field to giving your character a temporary boost or just nuking the whole area. So you have to manage the quantity of these powers and how many points they contribute to the point cap.

Also I got just got a Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers trophy. RIP in peace.

Zixmar

Neo Member
So guys who do you think would be top tier?

For what I saw in the streams: Boswer- Donkey - Duck Hunt.

What do you guys think?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also, why do you guys think they opted to cut Lucas entirely instead of making him a Ness alt like Olimar/Alph? There seems to be no reason they could have done this with him as well as the three big clones (Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, Lucina). I just don't understand why they chose to make them separate and kept Alph as an alt.
Lucas' normals are different (are better) than Ness'.

Hatchtag

Banned
Oh, I didn't know there was an option for Random Online 1-on-1's. Better than Brawl's online already.

Hope you like playing pure defense. It was really boring when I tried that, people playing too defensively or using annoying tactics (not doing anything but counter, waiting to just Kirbycide, etc.). Not that these tactics are good or anything, but they weren't something I felt like dealing with last night lol.

Golnei

I'm reasonably happy with the palettes Ness got, (Sakurai's pyjama bias aside) but a robot body alt would have been a great reference.

7WY4zEQ.jpg

I wonder if costumes might be included as part of DLC?

I believe the answer is 'no' but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. Can I do this?: hop online, play a match as Teams with an online friend as my teammate, against another team of online players? What about the same scenario but locally (me and teammate) against online team opponents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom