• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbals

Banned
Speaking of unlocking. With the introduction of that shop mechanic, It could be feasible that we buy our unlocks like MvC2 for Dreamcast...Mmmm Classic Mode grinding.

ibtD5VprOibzCA.jpg
I want to be #TeamReal because when I see this I'm like
pierce-2.gif

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, some people think the leak is real, but there are characters that haven't been unlocked at the time of the picture? This is from a video shown to the ESRB, they're not going to hide characters from them.

JoeInky

That Reddit thing makes the mistake of thinking those scans and the leaks are showing the same things.

Unless I'm missing what it's trying to say?

-Horizon-

Speaking of unlocking. With the introduction of that shop mechanic, It could be feasible that we buy our unlocks like MvC2 for Dreamcast...Mmmm Classic Mode grinding.

I'd prefer buying new characters rather than "play here x amount of times" or "finish this smash run level in x amount of time".
Then again, it kind of removes the whole surprise to some characters being in the game. So I can understand people who may not like the shop approach.

Couldn't the 1p vs p1 difference be due to Japanese version vs English version?

Yeah, I think this has been the case in some other games for sure.

Brawl, for instance:

super-smash-bros-brawl-japanese-character-roster.jpg

Link is designated 1P in the Japanese version here.

289618-super-smash-bros-brawl-wii-screenshot-the-character-selection.jpg

But it's P1 in the English version here.

Interestingly enough in the original Smash Bros, it was 1P in the English version too. Probably because the game probably had a small translation budget- there wasn't much they needed to change to get it out of Japan, where the game had originally been conceived as a cool little side-project that should sell okay, not some sort of mega-hit blockbuster.

1P-01.gif

Crazy how such a small game, underestimated by it's own development team, would end up becoming one of the most iconic Nintendo franchises of all time. They just didn't realize how much people would love seeing all these characters together in the same place, punching one another.

Berordn

I'd prefer buying new characters rather than "play here x amount of times" or "finish this smash run level in x amount of time".
Then again, it kind of removes the whole surprise to some characters being in the game. So I can understand people who may not like the shop approach.

I actually think this would be a good compromise for the Wii U version. 3DS gets all the funky requirements since it's better suited for solo play and will ultimately reveal the entire roster before the Wii U version gets released, so "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" could still be a surprise for some people.

Wii U version, either after connecting to the 3DS version or just right at the outset could just put everyone up in a shop, maybe as an alternative way of unlocking. Could make it as simple as you can transfer your coins between versions, and having a character unlocked on 3DS gives you a "discount" on the Wii U version.

Only flaw is that we've only seen coins used for the trophy shop so far, but that doesn't mean there isn't another one somewhere.

If that translation is anywhere close to accurate, sounds like more confirmation of Stage Hazard Ridley, if anyone was still doubting it.

Edit: Actually, they could just be guessing based on the hints Sakurai had dropped as well, now that I think about it.

Zero173

I think there will definitely be something to unlock by beating a game mode with every character, and then again on every difficulty for 2 reasons.

1. It's the easiest way to extend replayability.

2. If you're a player that has some fun doing it, you'd be beyond disappointed to find out that playing for that long doesn't unlock you anything. If I played one game mode on every difficult with every character, I would want to be rewarded for it. Of course, I wouldn't marathon something like this, it would be something to keep coming back to.

Berordn

Hey if you want to spend 8-10 hours just so you can unlock Toon Link, be my guest.

We've got close to 30 starting characters this time!

I think there will definitely be something to unlock by beating a game mode with every character, and then again on every difficulty for 2 reasons.

1. It's the easiest way to extend replayability.

2. If you're a player that has some fun doing it, you'd be beyond disappointed to find out that playing for that long doesn't unlock you anything. If I played one game mode on every difficult with every character, I would want to be rewarded for it. Of course, I wouldn't marathon something like this, it would be something to keep coming back to.

I don't have an issue with this being a requirement for a trophy or something, personally. I just don't want it to be stages or characters, since those are what I'm always actively working toward. Everything else comes eventually.

Was there a character that required you to beat a mode with every character on a higher difficulty before? All I remember was Game and Watch, which was classic with all characters right?

emb

In total, the intensity system would lead to something like 91 distinct difficulty settings. Why would you do that to yourself? There are more fun ways to create difficult unlock requirements.
Was that even required in Kid Icarus? It seems like usually winning on the higher intensities would count for the lower ones.

Hey if you want to spend 8-10 hours just so you can unlock Toon Link, be my guest.

We've got close to 30 starting characters this time!

I don't have an issue with this being a requirement for a trophy or something, personally. I just don't want it to be stages or characters, since those are what I'm always actively working toward. Everything else comes eventually.

Close to 30? We already have 37 announced characters :p

Berordn

Close to 30? We already have 37 announced characters :p

Until we get a confirmation on how many of them are actually starting characters, I'm erring on the side of caution.

I think Nintendo Dream might actually be revealing this though? I haven't looked into that yet.

-Horizon-

I actually think this would be a good compromise for the Wii U version. 3DS gets all the funky requirements since it's better suited for solo play and will ultimately reveal the entire roster before the Wii U version gets released, so "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" could still be a surprise for some people.

Wii U version, either after connecting to the 3DS version or just right at the outset could just put everyone up in a shop, maybe as an alternative way of unlocking. Could make it as simple as you can transfer your coins between versions, and having a character unlocked on 3DS gives you a "discount" on the Wii U version.

Only flaw is that we've only seen coins used for the trophy shop so far, but that doesn't mean there isn't another one somewhere.

Good point on the 3DS having more single player focused (that we've seen so far).
I do have to wonder how they'll try to connect the two versions. Will it only benefit the Wii U version or will the 3DS also get some benefit? These questions haunt me.
not really lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom