• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Saw this in the Smashoards thread lmao:

E3KQ4nL.jpg

Spinluck

If Shulk wasn't in, i'd not give a single fuck, in all honesty.

I want Shulk in, more people are happy that way, and I enjoyed XB a fair amount.

Dr. Mario and Dark Pit can die, but whatever, I guess Pit and Doc fans get to rejoice if they're in so good for them. Hopefully the leak gets proven/disproven this week.

Golnei

Andy or Advance Wars Character would be valuable addition to the roster because of their history with Nintendo. I can see that there are many potentials move sets for Advance Wars Characters.

Also

My friend pointed it out that he think that someone used Villager's model as base to make Ness' Model.

main.png

It could just be a broadly similar shading / modelling style; which would be shared by the characters by virtue of being rendered by the same development team, or it could be an attempt to mimic that style.

I'm sorry for asking this, but could anyone do a superimposition gif of Ness and Villager?

if the earth hasn't been consumed by death by the time smash 5 comes around, then it will be an official rule in those threads that all "teams" and betting will be permabannable offenses

... Because they'd be menus that we haven't seen yet?

Fake or not, the shot with duck hunt and ness clearly isn't from the regular match character selection. The leaked shot with Bowser Jr's larger render however, is. (when they point out bowser's longer name you can see the mushroom behind him.)

For all we know some of these shots are made in menus we just haven't seen on the dojo yet. There's tons of content we know about where we haven't the slightest idea how the start/end GUI looks.

Not even factoring in it could easily be a debug menu of some kind.

Which situation is more plausible, honestly:

Some sort of mastermind managed to get a hold of a copy of famitsu and make the highest quality fake anyone has ever seen in the scant few hours before the famitsu details go up on the internet complete with details like the line glitch that nobody have ever even seen before

or a guy got hands on with a video game 3 weeks before it came out and posted a few pics online

I didn't say he made the entire leak after getting Famitsu, I said he made the Tomodachi Life icon after getting the magazine. The TD icon in this leak is by no means "high quality," and it could have been made in no time - again, just ask BGBW.

And I highly doubt a person would have to be a "mastermind" to get his hands on a popular magazine a couple days ahead of circulation. He could be or could have a buddy who works for the magazine or for the printer, or a copy could simply have slipped onto the streets ahead of time - there are a hundred things that could have happened.

This explanation raises more questions than answers though. How did he get a hold of the newest Famitsu? Does he live in Japan? If so, why is he making a fake leak of the US version and posting it to a US imageboard? And why would he bother seeking out the new Famitsu in the first place when the last issue didn't give us any new details on stages?

These are good questions. For how he got ahold of Famitsu, see above. He might have sought out Famitsu because he knew there would be Smash content of some sort in this issue (everyone knew that, didn't they? Wasn't it known ahead of time that there would be a Smash feature in Famitsu?) Alternatively (though less likely,) he could've come across it by luck. Either way, I think most of the work on the leak was done, then he saw Famitsu and made this very minor change on the fly.

As for his living situation, he could be a American living Japan, or an American who has some connection to Japan. Besides, if his cover story is that this leak originates from ESRB footage, then it would have to be the NA version, because that's the ESRB's jurisdiction.

If the leak is fake
(and it totally is)
I hope the creator puts out the pictures he used for the newcomers. Duck Hunt Dog especially is really impressive.

Spinluck

Thank god. I will probably have given up on Gaming Side by then though.

By Smash 5, we're talking about the WiiU version right? So hopefully all of our bets are resolved soon.

Are you being a smartass here or is this an honest question?

Smash Thread, can't really tell.

Well, I was going to post the updated #TeamReal / #TeamFake lists, but I guess that's maybe permabannable now? That's too bad. That was a fair but of time put into something fun that I guess ended up being for nothing.

Oh well, back to just waiting for the PotD I guess.

Guys, what wold you do if Shulk ain't in the game?

I would be pretty disappointed, honestly. I never played the game he came from, but I appeciate new characters that aren't yet
represented in Smash as a playable character.

It's why I gave up on characters like Bowser Jr., Ridley, Kumatora, Medusa, etc. Because I just want more new representations. Even if I don't know who they are, or if haven't touched their games before. Doesn't matter, i'll accept them.

NeonZ

Are you being a smartass here or is this an honest question?

Smash Thread, can't really tell.

Sakurai once referenced these games as "version 4 and 5" of the series in an interview.

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390

Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.

This was pretty big back when there was a Namco Bandai hiring announcement for a game called Smash Bros 6.

maxcriden

Don't worry, you'll see them when they get added to the official website.

So, you believe the leak to be real? I usually trust your opinion, Neo. I'm asking this of Heath and BGBW, too. You three usually have similar opinions on stuff to my own, so, just wondering, and it's hard to keep track of who thinks what regarding the leak since I only have time to follow this thread sporadically.

On the top of the leak, I saw someone post earlier that the Duck Hunt Dog would likely not be included, simply because NOA at the very least would foresee a veritable PR nightmare when the mass media starts saying Nintendo supports hunting. Isn't that alone a reasonable argument against the veracity of the leak? Just wondering what people think about that aspect of this, i thought it was a good point.

Richie

Ya know, my friends? That Sakurai took his sweet time to reveal each of the characters we know of so far really made me appreciate just how many are in the game. To think there's still the likes of Wario, Ganondorf, Mr. G & W, Falco, etc. left to be confirmed. Truly a colossal amount, AND this is while he's dividing his attention between two whole games. Sakurai's the man.

Ness's render is definitely the most iffy of all of the new renders in the leak (save the Ganondorf one which is just super blurry). He's off model in more than one way and while it's possible he was redesigned, I can't think of any honest reason why he would be. Most of the returning characters who had their main design modified like that save the ones that had new game designs to pull from (like Samus) were altered so they would appear more on model, not less.

SuperSah

Banned
leaker said:
My source authorized me to share a piece of one of the pictures. So that if its ever shown in the PotD. Youd know that it wasnt all just good guesses

http://imgur.com/l87pPr4

This is the icon used for Multi Man smash. Specifically, this was on the bottom screen next to the description photo

Some people are claiming that during a live chat he outright admitted BS.

Logo is apparently on the bottom screen in menus.

Ahnez

I am not buying this leak..

I meam.. Those leaks were uploaded to 4chan by an anonymous user.. and now someone at smashboards of all places claims to be one of the leakers?
Edit
oh, its officially BS now

So, you believe the leak to be real? I usually trust your opinion, Neo. I'm asking this of Heath and BGBW, too. You three usually have similar opinions on stuff to my own, so, just wondering, and it's hard to keep track of who thinks what regarding the leak since I only have time to follow this thread sporadically.

On the top of the leak, I saw someone post earlier that the Duck Hunt Dog would likely not be included, simply because NOA at the very least would foresee a veritable PR nightmare when the mass media starts saying Nintendo supports hunting. Isn't that alone a reasonable argument against the veracity of the leak? Just wondering what people think about that aspect of this, i thought it was a good point.

I don't usually join the "team x" stuff on any subject, which is probably why you haven't heard/seen me be very outspoken about this on gaf.

I can give your opinion on any particular aspect of it, if you're still doubtful about anything in particular.

But my views are:

1. As a skeptic I find the explanations as to how some evidence must've been faked far more far fetched than the idea of a leak. (e.g. famitsu foresight + tons of coincidence)

2. As an artist I am outright impressed by the model quality of every new model.

a.(Shulk outright looks better than in xenoblade. I don't even like Shulk's design and he looks good here.)

b. Duck hunt dog's "redesign" is extremely well thought out and lovable. visual design was one of my main gripes with DhD and I absolutely love how this version looks. (a big flaw with most fakes isn't model quality, but sheer taste/design.)

c. The rim of the clown car of bowser jr's portrait has very nice glassy texture. I don't know why, but fake renders always fail miserable at glossy textures. That Klonoa fake? The rings look like dull plastic.

3. Just from a historic perspective, a lot of the weird choices in this roster correlate fairly well to the "wtf" discoveries for melee/brawl's rosters. ROB being on Brawl's roster despite being a generic enemy? No faker would do that cause it's stupid and counter-intuitive, that was one of the first signs that made me trust the Brawl roster leak ... fake rosters are always extremely "clean" they lack that "wait what the hell?"-element.

I think it's rubbish to claim 100% certainty about anything just from a scientific standpoint, but the effort required to fake this is a lot more extreme and unlikely
than some ESBR dipsh*t breaking their NDA and snapping 3-4 pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom