• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

jkGOl9M.png

GaMQaoz.png

I dunno about you guys

But here you go

If the leak is true, I would imagine that Magicant, the F-Zero stage, and the apparent Xenoblade stage are shared across both versions. No way would Mother, F-Zero, and Xenoblade have a new stage in both versions over Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox.

Corneria makes sense because of SF64 3D.

Metroid does not because you have both Fusion and Zero Mission from the GBA, two games you based an entire character on, and there is no stage to represent that part of the series.

DKCR had a 3DS port as well, so you would think it would be a good candidate for a cross-game stage.

Really, if this is our stage list, I hate it. Not only is it really small, but there are very few new stages and too many series have nothing to show.

Actually, I think 2 is the most likely explanation. Think about it: the leak emerges with a room from the Tomodachi Life stage that has never been seen before. Then, the very next day, that exact room shows up in the Famitsu magazine. With so many different rooms in the TD stage, what are the odds that that specific room would show up just a day after the leak shows it? I think it's more likely that the leaker saw Famitsu in advance and inserted that room into his leak at the last minute. As BGBW demonstrated, making a grainy, pixelated version of a TD stage is quick work.

Remember a few months ago when another leaker claimed to know some alt costumes, like Bowser's green skin, and redrew them from memory? This was a few days before E3, and lo and behold, those very alts appeared in the E3 demo. Now, which is more likely: that he has inside info on the final game, or that he just saw the E3 demo a few days ahead of time? The latter, I think. It's the same with this Tomodachi Life issue.

Agree with this.

Which situation is more plausible, honestly:

Some sort of mastermind managed to get a hold of a copy of famitsu and make the highest quality fake anyone has ever seen in the scant few hours before the famitsu details go up on the internet complete with details like the line glitch that nobody have ever even seen before

or a guy got hands on with a video game 3 weeks before it came out and posted a few pics online

I'm not saying I agree, but it's the popular opinion.

That said...

What other pink nintendo stages look like that? Something kirby/yoshi comes to mind, but I think the positioning is off if it's either. I think yoshi would be closer to the top and kirby would be next to the game boy stage.

Not to mention, if the leak is actually true, then I can't imagine they won't include a Mother stage of some kind and as far as I recall, there's no other location in the series that's that blindingly pink...except for maybe the Magypsy house interiors.

Personally, I'd love to have the original Magicant.

Andy (or any Advance Wars character) is easily one of my most wanted, simply because Advance Wars is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

A moveset in which he has some sort of cash stockpile and can build units could be super interesting.

jph139

YES. Just yesterday I was thinking of how amazing Andy could be. Sending out little "toy-sized" sprites of the various Advance Wars units. A chopper for his Up B, some artillery for the Down B, tanks for the Neutral B, planes for his Side B. Then have him swing a wrench around for his smashes and neutrals.

He's absolutely in my Top 5 for Smash 5.

georly

If the leak is true, I would imagine that Magicant, the F-Zero stage, and the apparent Xenoblade stage are shared across both versions. No way would Mother, F-Zero, and Xenoblade have a new stage in both versions over Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox.

Eh. It could be if the Wii U has more 'recent' stages. F-zero looks inspired by SNES, so there could be a GX stage on wii u (or even just the brawl one). Magicant looks inspired by the NES version (if it is indeed magicant), so Wii U could have mother 2/3 stages.

Xenoblade is likely on both, if that's what it is.

There's also always the chance that the SSS isn't all of the stages.

Andy (or any Advance Wars character) is easily one of my most wanted, simply because Advance Wars is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.

A moveset in which he has some sort of cash stockpile and can build units could be super interesting.

YES. Just yesterday I was thinking of how amazing Andy could be. Sending out little "toy-sized" sprites of the various Advance Wars units. A chopper for his Up B, some artillery for the Down B, tanks for the Neutral B, planes for his Side B. Then have him swing a wrench around for his smashes and neutrals.

Same here! Definitely in my Top 5. One overlooked thing is how cool an Advance Wars stage could be. Even if we don't get Andy, I'd love that.

Stoze

What also bothers me immensely is that Smash 3DS is supposed to take inspiration from handheld games and blatantly ignores Mother 3, the only handheld game in the series. Whether Lucas is cut or not, Mother is a trilogy. Not just Earthbound.

Well, we all know how much Nintendo just loves to acknowledge Mother and its fanbase.

:(

At least we got Earthbound on VC after all these years. One incredibly small baby step at a time.

jph139

I think the prevailing logic for Sami is that she's a lot more interesting, visually, than Andy, and is armed to the teeth. So she's be easily adaptable with a more traditional moveset. Stealing Snake's, for example.

Agreed. Advance Wars is one my favorite Nintendo franchises so I'm a little disappointed at its lack of content in Smash.

Andy sucks though. I'd take Sami. (Or Sturm but he doesn't have a chance in hell)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I always thought Andy would be the more obvious Advance Wars rep but people got this Sami should replace Snake idea and it seemed to snowball from there.

Of course that's from our Western point of view where Advance Wars is the first one and the name of the series. For Japan it's just the Wars series and they've had many so I wonder if Andy is really seen as significant to them.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if Days of Ruin has a character on the wanted newcomers.
While AW 1&2 are loved DoR seems to have a lot of fans as well even for being just one game.

Makai

I thought the same thing before, except I had it on all of his moves. Would be a totally indirect fighter.

Eh. It could be if the Wii U has more 'recent' stages. F-zero looks inspired by SNES, so there could be a GX stage on wii u (or even just the brawl one). Magicant looks inspired by the NES version (if it is indeed magicant), so Wii U could have mother 2/3 stages.

Xenoblade is likely on both, if that's what it is.

There's also always the chance that the SSS isn't all of the stages.
I don't see anything that suggests the Wii U's stages are "more recent." The Pilotwings level is half based on a SNES game. The Star Fox stage is based on Star Fox Assault, not the more recent Star Fox 64 3D, even though the Pilotwings level (the other half being based on Pilotwings Resort) and the Wii U Pokemon stage show that handhelds aren't off limits and Star Fox 64 3D seems to have been skipped over completely.

And I really doubt that the Stage Leak isn't intended to be the entire stage list--it's supposedly from a video sent to ESRB, so there's no reason to hide anything when it's ESRB's responsibility to see what the game contains. There's also almost certainly not another page of stages when all of the stages are listed by franchise, the past stages are mixed together with the new ones (something that's never happened before), and there are hardly any franchises without a stage (the only ones are Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B.).

I think if the leak is real we just will have to accept a reality of a really disappointing stage roster.

Stoze

I got around to watching the Smash 3DS SDCC tourney last night. God damn Bowser hits like a truck. Everyone in general looks like they pack a bit more of a punch.

Golnei

Corneria makes sense because of SF64 3D.

Metroid does not because you have both Fusion and Zero Mission from the GBA, two games you based an entire character on, and there is no stage to represent that part of the series.

DKCR had a 3DS port as well, so you would think it would be a good candidate for a cross-game stage.

Really, if this is our stage list, I hate it. Not only is it really small, but there are very few new stages and too many series have nothing to show.

If Corneria can count for SF643D, Brinstar might qualify as a Zero Mission stage. Though no new stage for either would be fairly pathetic...

As a whole, the stage list is definitely the worst aspect to the leak, and the main reason I'd want it to be fake.

Of course that's from our Western point of view where Advance Wars is the first one and the name of the series. For Japan it's just the Wars series and they've had many so I wonder if Andy is really seen as significant to them.

I mean, Advance Wars was really the first time the series had faces other than infantry or a character-based story (from my understanding, the only pre-Advance one I've played is Game Boy Wars). The characters stuck around for 3 games, too (ok well 2 in Japan but technically 3). I'm pretty sure that nothing Advance Wars is seen as significant there though, heh.

also personally vehemently opposed to any suggestions of sami inheriting snake's moveset

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I don't really expect that leak to be real anyway. It's fun to dissecting and discussing the characters and leaks. It's something that would float us over until release date! :)

Camjo-Z

Actually, I think 2 is the most likely explanation. Think about it: the leak emerges with a room from the Tomodachi Life stage that has never been seen before. Then, the very next day, that exact room shows up in the Famitsu magazine. With so many different rooms in the TD stage, what are the odds that that specific room would show up just a day after the leak shows it? I think it's more likely that the leaker saw Famitsu in advance and inserted that room into his leak at the last minute. As BGBW demonstrated, making a grainy, pixelated version of a TD stage is quick work.

This explanation raises more questions than answers though. How did he get a hold of the newest Famitsu? Does he live in Japan? If so, why is he making a fake leak of the US version and posting it to a US imageboard? And why would he bother seeking out the new Famitsu in the first place when the last issue didn't give us any new details on stages?

He's comparing against pretty much every menu we got and it doesn't line up with any of them.
He's missing the waiting room one I believe. And he's comparing menus that obviously aren't the same thing. You might as well point out inconsistencies between the character select screen and the stage select screen.

This explanation raises more questions than answers though. How did he get a hold of the newest Famitsu? Does he live in Japan? If so, why is he making a fake leak of the US version and posting it to a US imageboard? And why would he bother seeking out the new Famitsu in the first place when the last issue didn't give us any new details on stages?

If the leak is fake, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that it's a team effort. It'd be a hell of a lot of work to take on for one person. It's possible they contacted someone who historically has access to Famitsu early (or at least prior to the digital version releasing), but this is merely speculation and I have no proof that such a person exists.

Why they would seek it out seems pretty self-explanatory, though. It's one of the few means they could get legitimate new information before the general public, however minor it may be.

He's comparing against pretty much every menu we got and it doesn't line up with any of them.

... Because they'd be menus that we haven't seen yet?

Fake or not, the shot with duck hunt and ness clearly isn't from the regular match character selection. The leaked shot with Bowser Jr's larger render however, is. (when they point out bowser's longer name you can see the mushroom behind him.)

For all we know some of these shots are made in menus we just haven't seen on the dojo yet. There's tons of content we know about where we haven't the slightest idea how the start/end GUI looks.

Also, do anyone feel something off with Duck Hunt Model, like it's more of clay when you look at dog, along with rest of nintendo characters?

Definitely, as well as Ness'. I feel like I've seen these renders before elsewhere but most likely they're made from scratch by a talented 3D artist (who loves to see Nintendo fans freak out). I think one of the most telling things I'd say is the point made that Ness' shirt is too perfect. His eyes are also less slender, and I think generally characters in this game who are more simplistic in design still have texture added to them and their clothes and stuff even if this game isn't going for a gritty art style this time around, characters like Dedede and Peach still have intricacies on their clothes and stuff.

I'm not buying this leak but I'm sure the DHG would make a lot of people happy if he was to return, just not sure what his moveset would be like.

georly

I don't see anything that suggests the Wii U's stages are "more recent." The Pilotwings level is half based on a SNES game. The Star Fox stage is based on Star Fox Assault, not the more recent Star Fox 64 3D, even though the Pilotwings level (the other half being based on Pilotwings Resort) and the Wii U Pokemon stage show that handhelds aren't off limits and Star Fox 64 3D seems to have been skipped over completely.

And I really doubt that the Stage Leak isn't intended to be the entire stage list--it's supposedly from a video sent to ESRB, so there's no reason to hide anything when it's ESRB's responsibility to see what the game contains. There's also almost certainly not another page of stages when all of the stages are listed by franchise, the past stages are mixed together with the new ones (something that's never happened before), and there are hardly any franchises without a stage (the only ones are Wii Fit, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B.).

I think if the leak is real we just will have to accept a reality of a really disappointing stage roster.

No real evidence, just a thought I had based on the leak.

3DS has Game boy, Magicant, F-zero SNES, Brinstar (super metroid), Distant planet (pikmin 1), Balloon fight, pac-man arcade, green hill zone (sonic 1), corneria (star fox 64) - all based on earlier incantations of their franchises.

Wii U has Windy hill (newer wii u sonic), pac-land (newer than pacman arcade at least), garden of hope (pikmin 3), great fox (star fox assault).

I mean it's not perfect, and i'm just fitting a pattern where there likely isn't one, but I wouldnt be surprised if 3DS had more based on older incarnations and wii u had more based on more recent incarnations.

There are also tons of stages that break this pattern, but they can be explained away because some franchises are getting reps based on the consoles they appeared on (arena ferox, tortimer island, etc).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Andy or Advance Wars Character would be valuable addition to the roster because of their history with Nintendo. I can see that there are many potentials move sets for Advance Wars Characters.

Also

My friend pointed it out that he think that someone used Villager's model as base to make Ness' Model.

main.png

Golnei

If the leak is fake, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that it's a team effort. It'd be a hell of a lot of work to take on for one person. It's possible they contacted someone who historically has access to Famitsu early (or at least prior to the digital version releasing), but this is merely speculation and I have no proof that such a person exists.

The air of conspiracy surrounding this leak is a little different from normal. Though I'm not sure whether the implied presence of the Illuminati should make me believe it more or less...

The air of conspiracy surrounding this leak is a little different from normal. Though I'm not sure whether the implied presence of the Illuminati should make me believe it more or less...

Uh... I wouldn't really say I'm trying to raise any conspiracy. Just conceding that it's an impressive leak and would be a lot for a single person to take on, if fake. I don't think that's such a ridiculous thing to say, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom