• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The best thing about Pichu is that someone asked Sakurai why he didn't make Raichu instead and his answer was "it's funnier if it is a pokemon that hurts itself".

Comedy is the #1 requirement for Smash roster

Sakurai considers depressed people funny :(

yes, this is a joke.

Yes, really.

Clearly, people (not me, because I'm neutral on the veracity of the images) are arguing that it's possible the Dr. Mario 'render' is photoshop of an existing render not that 'Mario looks like Mario'. Posting the Sunshine gif is just being dismissive and trying to make the those who believe it's fake look ridiculous without presenting your own argument.

OK, I didn't post the Sunshine pic but I assumed the poster was trying to show that, while it is possible the Dr. photos is photoshopped, it's equally possible that two different pictures of Mario just look a lot alike, like the Sunshine and Smash 4 Mario renders...

But the people who think it's fake because it looks like Mario are being ridiculous. There's no pre-existing render to go off of, somebody just took the possible Doc Mario render and made it look like Mario... Which just shows that Mario looks like Mario.

The thing is, any of these characters could be photoshopped from something else. But going "this Mario looks like this other Mario?" isn't going to help you make that point at all. You'd need way more compelling evidence than that.

Remember that in all the other leaks people found the exact images that were used as renders within minutes, so saying "it looks like it could be edited? take a look" isn't going to do anything. We have looked. And it could be edited. But there's no proof it is and there's no proof it isn't.

We have to wait and see.

Which is why posting that Sunshine gif to make the other side look ridiculous is childish. 'Team Real' has no definitive proof of the leak's veracity, either. You can explain why the Dr. Mario/Mario render comparison is bad without using it.

emb

This discussion won't last long. We'll find out soon.
We could find out tonight.

Or we could find out three weeks from now. Do you have any idea how long three weeks is? On SmashGaf this close to Smash release, that's like 88 years.

Kriken

This discussion won't last long. We'll find out soon.

This thread has the second fastest start with only the thread after the Robin/Captain Falcon/Lucina reveal thread being the fastest. The biggest discussion with that though was ended a day after with Sakurai outright stating that Lucina is a clone character, this can go on for a while

We could find out tonight.

Or we could find out three weeks from now. Do you have any idea how long three weeks is? On SmashGaf this close to Smash release, that's like 88 threads.

FTFY

Which is why posting that Sunshine gif to make the other side look ridiculous is childish. 'Team Real' has no definitive proof of the leak's veracity, either. You can explain why the Dr. Mario/Mario render comparison is bad without using it.

Everyone has explained it, dozens of times, to dozens of posters. It's not our fault if you don't want to read the thread.

It's a visual example that illustrates the point, that most Mario renders look similar. It isn't childish at all. It shows why the original argument is ridiculous in the first place.

16th for veterans today. Yesterday I shared both of the veterans who tied for 17th.
Great, looking forward to it!

The PotD today will be a close up of Mario's FLUDD in action.

"PotD: FLUDD makes its triumphant return!! What a well-built machine; it has no leaks in it at all!"

hahaha you guys think Sakurai isn't aware of the supposed leak and isn't gonna milk this out until Japanese release

Tell us what you know! O-e

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh my gooooood!

Doctor Mario has been Mario this whole time!
Maybe Mario is like Link.

Maybe the ending of Mario Galaxy caused the timeline to split into two* and Dr. Mario is actually a Mario from a different branch where he no longer had to fight Bowser and instead could focus on his real passion: medicine.

icespide

Banned
ngbbs4de503781e255.jpg

Alright guys, whatever. Still think it's a dumb, childish response.
I guess that's understandable, but it's really the best way to get the point across. The whole "Dr Mario looks like Mario, so fake" argument in the first place is pretty stupid, so the evidence needed to disprove it comes across as condescending, since it seems so obvious in the first place that it shouldn't be needed at all. But apparently it is needed, as people keep posting that Doc gif.

Which is why posting that Sunshine gif to make the other side look ridiculous is childish.

It's not making the other side look ridiculous, it's making a very valid and cogent point- It's easy to compare many different renders of a character using a consistent style guide and have them look markedly similar.

It's less insulting than the original gif, which actually had to alter the original render it was using to make the comparison in order to make it work.

'Team Real' has no definitive proof of the leak's veracity, either. You can explain why the Dr. Mario/Mario render comparison is bad without using it.

There is no definitive proof, correct (although I'd argue that the Famitsu Tomodatchi comparison pushes the needle over toward Team Real, personally), but that doesn't mean that logical fallacies can't be pointed out.

The Tomodachi thing is basically proof, but it's not big enough or interesting enough to sway anyone on either side on the matter. Has to be something more substantial.

The Tomodachi thing is basically proof, but it's not big enough or interesting enough to sway anyone on either side on the matter. Has to be something more substantial.
Ehh, people like BGPW do sort of have a point that it would be easy to create. Of course in my opinion it's incredibly unlikely that he'd get that lucky, or that he'd get Famitsu that early, but the possibility is still there, so I wouldn't say it's really proof.

Now if Tomodachi Life was like Animal Crossing where there aren't preset rooms...

but that doesn't mean that logical fallacies can't be pointed out.

Posting a gif without saying anything or saying 'are you serious?' aren't pointing out fallacies. In my opinion, anyway. But again, whatever. If people think that's the best way to carry out discussion with other members far be it from me to stop anyone.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe Mario is like Link.

Maybe the ending of Mario Galaxy caused the timeline to split into two* and Dr. Mario is actually a Mario from a different branch where he no longer had to fight Bowser and instead could focus on his real passion: medicine.

And Peach abolished the monarchy and accompanied Mario into the jaws of Medical School in order to finally be a nurse.

Posting a gif without saying anything or saying 'are you serious?' aren't pointing out fallacies. In my opinion, anyway. But again, whatever. If people think that's the best way to carry out discussion with other members far be it from me to stop anyone.

I just don't understand how it's any different from posting the Dr. Mario/Mario gif. Why does one seem like a valid argument to you and the other seem childish? Just confused, that's all.

Ehh, people like BGPW do sort of have a point that it would be easy to create. Of course in my opinion it's incredibly unlikely that he'd get that lucky, or that he'd get Famitsu that early, but the possibility is still there, so I wouldn't say it's really proof.

Now if Tomodachi Life was like Animal Crossing where there aren't preset rooms...
My main issue with his argument is that I have seen people claim that before but none of them have posted the "source room", and I haven't been able to find it either.

You don't need to say anything more than "Are you serious?" if you have the picture, since it gets the point across so well. It's such a bad argument that it can be dismissed with a single gif.

I think the gif is a valid argument, but I agree the lack of additional text or adding a condescending remark is really annoying. I'm not looking forward to the reactions when this gets confirmed or deconfirmed, as it's just going to be a bunch of people being assholes to each other.

Wow, some of the #Teamreal members are being completely rude about their positioning.

To be fair, both sides are getting a little out of hand for something so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Calling teamreal "childish" for using the exact same gif evidence that teamfake is using is a trifle uncalled for, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom