• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XV: Kübler-Ross Edition

She'd be the daisy we never got. Plus the magypsy colors would easily work as alts for her and a last white and brown one too with a luxury banana sprite on it! Ahh the possibilities of pk ground...

Plus since she knew the Osohe Dance to get past that wall (sadly unseen) she could have a LOT of fun taunts... Great, now I'm depressed...

Vain DLC Hope

Now that it's all but confirmed, I can't help but feel the Alph situation is a little odd. He seems like a prime candidate for alt-turned-clone. I wonder why they didn't do it with him?

I don't know Pikmin, so is Alph really a unique character - that is, does he have a distinct personality, unique abilities, etc. - or is he essentially just a different avatar, identical to Olimar?

Gartooth

Dude calm down.

I played over 150 hours of Brawl with only a WiiMote. Its going to be okay. You can learn the WiiMote too then use it for the 3DS version.
WAT

Seriously, we can be super effective with any control scheme. We'll show those silly CStickers what we are really made of!

Agreed that this isn't a doomsday scenario like the reactions would make you believe.

Still sucks though. Sure people can adapt to different control types easily enough, but there is still an advantage in having access to one scheme over another. (Ex: Easier for some to master a fighting game with a stick rather than playing on a pad)

Revven

okay I don't really care about the rest of the stuff from the demo, but this is very important. I was super bummed that they cut bonuses from Melee, so I'll be thrilled to see them back. Can anyone confirm this?

It's been confirmed, let me go find the source again... it's in a Reddit AMA.

Here you go

The guy doing the AMA played the Japanese demo.

Now that it's all but confirmed, I can't help but feel the Alph situation is a little odd. He seems like a prime candidate for alt-turned-clone. I wonder why they didn't do it with him?

There's probably two reasons:

1) It would take away from Olimar's uniqueness as a character with the Pikmin ordering and such. Having another character like him would make Olimar stand out less from the crowd.

2) Time constraints. They only had enough time to do Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit as full on character clones.

Like a boss

kneelandinglag18jdv.gif

I don't know Pikmin, so is Alph really a unique character - that is, does he have a distinct personality, unique abilities, etc. - or is he essentially just a different avatar, identical to Olimar?

Some will argue this, but as a Pikmin fan I can say no, Alph is not unique in any real way that could translate to gameplay. He is simply an avatar you use to control the Pikmin.

There is virtually no reason for him to be in the game as a clone of Olimar.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I could imagine that Pikmin might be little handy to handle since Olimar itself is gimmick character. Or that Alph is an avatar since Pikmin is the main characters.

It's been confirmed, let me go find the source again... it's in a Reddit AMA.

Here you go

The guy doing the AMA played the Japanese demo.

That's excellent news, thank you. And sorry for making you go find the source again; I just logged on, and the thread moves so fast that I often miss the citations so I can't tell what's true and what's just a rumor.

Macka

I'm getting more and more tempted to cancel my (already fully paid) pre-order for Smash 3DS.

- I have to import from the US since I have a NSTC 3DS, so it will take at least a week after launch to arrive, at which point I'll likely know everything about the game anyway.

- I was planning on upgrading to a 3DS XL because I'm worried it will be hard to play Smash on the small screen. Then Nintendo announces the New 3DS which doesn't launch in the West until next year for some inexplicable reason, so there's no way I'm buying an old XL with that on the horizon. Especially since I need to import another US 3DS if I want to be able to transfer my data because of the region lock. Can't trade or sell the old 3DS here either because yay region lock.

- I thought, "oh well, at least I'll be able to use my Circle Pad Pro as a C-Stick" but no, Nintendo are being assholes and not giving us that option either.

This New 3DS announcement is a complete mess. Awful timing. There are definitely people who were planning on buying a 3DS to play Pokemon OR/AS or Smash Bros. that have absolutely no idea what to do now.

Aside from substituting White and Purple Pikmin for Rock and Winged Pikmin (the latter already being part of the revamped Olimar moveset), what else could Alph do that would be different?
I don't feel Alph should be a player character - personally, I wish all eight colors would be just Olimar. Changing a character's name is weird, and I wish Olimar wasn't alone in this. At least when you change the gender of WFT/Robin/Villager, they still stay WFT/Robin/Villager.

Pikmin doesn't really need another rep, but if it could get one (totally unique), it should be
the Plasm Wraith.

Padding out the roster with clones.
Poor Alph deserved his own slot too. T_T

It just seems like a totally different character, without it feeling like a totally different character. Koopalings I understand since they are always grouped together. (Tho the meltdowns over 14 Mario slots would be glorious.) But alph deserves his own slot damnit.

So I guess with Alph and the Koopalings there are 56 Playable chracters not counting Miis since they can't be payed online with anyone. Quite alot, but making seven clones of Bowser Jr. Seems extreme mwhahaha.

Neo Child

Banned
never understood why people want ridley in

i guess there arent that many metroid representatives that could fit well into a brawler. i mean i guess you have charizard but still.

why not some of the hunters from prime on DS? prime hunters was fun, played a lot of online, maybe

250px-Sylux_mph_Artwork.png

laser sword energy beam goodness

250px-Spire_mph_Artwork.png

bulky attacker, fists u hard etc

i guess there arent that many metroid representatives that could fit well into a brawler. i mean i guess you have charizard but still.

why not some of the hunters from prime on DS? prime hunters was fun, played a lot of online, maybe

They would be cool and would probably work well, but no one knows who they are so they had zero chance to get in.

Yea, he's like 90% done as a new character... Would have boosted the roster more and gave Pikmin another rep.

And a chance for Rock Pikmin to shine

Some will argue this, but as a Pikmin fan I can say no, Alph is not unique in any real way that could translate to gameplay. He is simply an avatar you use to control the Pikmin.

All six playable characters in Pikmin (Olimar, Luoie, the President, Alph, Brittany, and Charlie) have distinct personalities and differ from each other visually. However, they all play identically. None of them could work as anything other than a clone, and even then it would be hard to think of something making them different enough to be a clone (like Lucina's height/blade).

Hatchtag

Banned

We'd get Dark Samus long before those two. Hell, Dark Samus being just a recolor plus having an AT shows that Sakurai would probably one day be willing to have Dark Samus in, but doesn't want to make just a clone out of her/him/it.

I could imagine that Pikmin might be little handy to handle since Olimar itself is gimmick character. Or that Alph is an avatar since Pikmin is the main characters.

Ah, yeah, it makes sense thinking about it like that. I guess the fact that they brought the name "Pikmin & Olimar" overseas gives credence to that.

- I thought, "oh well, at least I'll be able to use my Circle Pad Pro as a C-Stick" but no, Nintendo are being assholes and not giving us that option either.

Have you tried the 3DS version yet? A number of people around here have said it controls fine, so maybe the lack of CPP support won't be such a big problem. Granted, there's no substitute for the C-stick if that's what you're looking for, but there are worse things that could happen.

I definitely agree about the mess that is the N3DS announcement. Why Nintendo would announce a new system just before a real system-seller of a game releases, yet not have the new system ready for that game, is beyond me.

Rock. Pikmin.
Brittany or Charlie would be better

The world would be better off without snakes.

So that's why Lucas was cut too? R.I.P. Rope Snake ;_;

People want a second Metroid rep that isn't just strip-tease Samus. Besides people like villains being in the game, think how Mario fans would feel if his arch nemesis Bowser wasn't in but Dr. Mario was.

Poor Alph deserved his own slot too. T_T

It just seems like a totally different character, without it feeling like a totally different character. Koopalings I understand since they are always grouped together. (Tho the meltdowns over 14 Mario slots would be glorious.) But alph deserves his own slot damnit.

So I guess with Alph and the Koopalings there are 56 Playable chracters not counting Miis since they can't be payed online with anyone. Quite alot, but making seven clones of Bowser Jr. Seems extreme mwhahaha.
Louie would've been a better clone character. He's been in two of the three games (playing a major role in both), and is at the very least slightly taller than Olimar. Alph and Olimar share pretty much the exact same proportions.

I forgot to mention this: Olimar is a person. He isn't some kind of silent protagonist like Link. You often hear his thoughts and see his characterization via the End of Day journals (Pikmin), Treasure Hoard and Piklopedia entries (Pikmin 2), letters from his family (Pikmin 2), and the Explorer's Notes (Pikmin 3).
Every other character in the series (Louie, President, Alph, Brittany, Charlie) all have their own personalities, different from Olimar.

Hatchtag

Banned
Honestly, at this point wanting Ridley in has little to do with Metroid for me and more wanting more villains plus thinking he'd have a really damn unique moveset. I mean, he'd have to if they wanted him to make him fit in.

TWILT

Banned
Catching up on Smash 4 notes. Apparently Robin and Shulk are really good? Great to hear.
Also Fierce Deity Link confirmed for an alt sounds awesome.

Doorman

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT|
Too small for Ridley.

People want Ridley in as a Metroid rep because, in the history of the Metroid franchise, he is the franchise's most iconic character outside of Samus and perhaps the larval metroid. He would add to the roster of major recurring villains along with Bowser, Ganondorf, and Dedede, and he's demonstrated a variety of viable attacks including tail-stabs, grabs, mouth-firing projectiles, and crazy high-pitched roaring.

The hunters on the other hand were all created from a one-off game, made outside of both EAD and Retro, and as it pertains to Metroid as a series will probably never be seen again. If you're going to avoid the most obvious choice of Ridley, you'd probably have better luck asking for a generic space pirate, or Rundas from Prime 3, or hell even Adam. "You are not authorized to defeat me in the ring!"

SuperSah

Banned

Cos', not a Sakurai character, heheheh

Dude calm down.

I played over 150 hours of Brawl with only a WiiMote. Its going to be okay. You can learn the WiiMote too then use it for the 3DS version.
WAT

Seriously, we can be super effective with any control scheme. We'll show those silly CStickers what we are really made of!

I used Wiimote in Brawl too, lol, but I just wanted to be able to fast Smash this time.

I mean, sure, pulling off Smash's in the demo was pretty easy, but still.

and people would've whined even more.
as i said before, cut all the clones and everybody loves the roster, add 5 clones and people complain.

Remove White and Purple pikmin, add Rock Pikmin which are just Purple Pikmin with a few stat changes and tweak a few other random stats and Alph would be pretty cool.

But really, Pikmin can't have a rep in Smash that isn't a clone. Olimar's move set is basically perfect for representing Pikmin.

Dude calm down.

WAT

You're nuts
150 hours of wiimote brawl, ugh

Top Bottom