• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XV: Kübler-Ross Edition

random25

Er... this is beyond disturbing if true.

It's just some extreme cultural differences. Japanese really do value their reputation to the point that being exposed to "shameful" acts lead them to do extreme things as an apology. Pretty disturbing for outsiders, but that's just how cultural differences work.

Toxi

Banned
So I tend to explain things in Simpsons references

Basically, remember the Be-Sharps episode

Homer:
[excited] Wait till I tell Marge!
Nigel: [with consternation] Oh, yes...Bouffant Betty. Well, I would prefer if we kept your marriage a secret. You see, a lot of women are going to want to have sex with you, and, er, we want them to think they can.
Homer: Well, if I explain it to Marge that way, I'm sure she'll understand.

CQjOs2y.png

That is idol culture in Japan!

They want all the fans to think the girls are virginal and pure and that the audience can woo them and be the ones they fall in love with. Then people become obsessed and react strongly whenever it's shown one has a boyfriend or goes on a date.

It's pretty harmful.
Jesus

That's fucked up.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They break up in to teams for things

The idea is that people can meet AKB48 members so they keep expanding to have more shows in different places.

They're also the best example of how awful idol culture in Japan is. People become obsessed with them. The more popular ones are not allowed to have any social lives. One was seen with a man once in public and had to issue a crying video apology where she shaved her head as penance because so much of the audience was angry.

Oh yeah. I have heard of that.

Wait until we see full roster of stages. They could add few more stages before the game went gold but I doubt it anyway.

Based upon our original stage leak I think there might be one more tucked away at least, but then again leaving somewhat garish gaps within the menus seems to be a bit of a thing here so maybe that black area by random stays black.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Aren't 3DS stages different from Wii U anyway?

I don't see your point since he said that Wii U is our last hope. I'm saying that there is a low chance that we could get few more stages to padding 3DS stage roster.

To answer your question: Yeah, I'm totally aware that Wii U have different stages, along with few shared stages with 3DS.

Toxi

Banned
It's just some extreme cultural differences. Japanese really do value their reputation to the point that being exposed to "shameful" acts lead them to do extreme things as an apology. Pretty disturbing for outsiders, but that's just how cultural differences work.
This isn't cultural differences though. Having the "no dating" rule for members of the band is a corporate motive.

I thought everyone already knew about how bad Idol Culture was in Japan. They have no life outside of being idols. They can't date, can't smoke, can't do anything that isn't considered "pure."

I don't see your point since he said that Wii U is our last hope. I'm saying that there is a low chance that we could get few more stages to padding 3DS stage roster.

To answer your question: Yeah, I'm totally aware that Wii U have different stages, along with few shared stages with 3DS.
I guess I was saying that there's no need to hope b/c Wii U stages are different. I probably read it wrong. I've had a couple of beers :p

SuperSah

Banned
Guys, remember Pictochat is actually Pichocat 2, a new stage, not a returning one.

Honestly, stage selection is fine. The new stages are excellent.

Who knows? There may be one or two left.

Don't forget FD editions of all of these too. So essentially, 68 stages.

Richie

I'm still holding on the hope there may be a 3DS Exclusive Stages Pack DLC for the Wii U version and viceversa. It really is kind of unbelievable how things look for the 3DS stage roster, with several franchises apparently not having any new stages? Really, even with DK, Yoshi, Metroid and Star Fox hailing all the way back from the original Smash? I hope the philosophy behind this isn't that every stage has a Final Destination form and that sorta qualifies as a new stage to series that don't have one, because it's a laughable explanation.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Guys, remember Pictochat is actually Pichocat 2, a new stage, not a returning one.

Not all stages getting Final Destination version tho. I think Sakurai confirmed that.

Haha, I thought you weren't going to defend it.

And a bunch of very, very, very similar flat stages does not really double the stage roster. Very poor copout, Sah, and you know it.

Toxi

Banned

No new Metroid or Donkey Kong stage means I don't like it.

And did they really make a new fucking Pictochat stage? Ugh.

I thought everyone already knew about how bad Idol Culture was in Japan. They have no life outside of being idols. They can't date, can't smoke, can't do anything that isn't considered "pure."
So it's basically turning people into standardized products.

That's depressing.

SuperSah

Banned
Haha, I thought you weren't going to defend it.

And a bunch of very, very, very similar flat stages does not really double the stage roster. Very poor copout, Sah, and you know it.

I'm not defending it, i'm just saying that it's not all hell.

Yes, Metroid, Star Fox etc. not getting original stages is pure robbery, but at least some of these stages are legit gems.

As much as I LOVE the 3DS game, I'm not gonna defend the stage selection.

It could do with work, but the new stages ARE awesome.

The backdown.

And I wouldn't count the FD variants as separate stages; it's one stage with multiple skins.

Melee had two retro Mario stages:
Mushroom_Kingdom_II_Melee.png

Man, I so wish Mushroom Kingdom II would make a comeback. I loved that stage.

Yeah, SSB3DS's stage roster is pretty awful. I still can't believe it actually has fewer new stages than Melee had and fewer stages period than Brawl. And the large gaping holes in new stage representation are pretty unforgivable.

"Unforgivable?" Is it really? Come on. The stage selection is a little disappointing, but "unforgivable" is so hyperbolic it's ridiculous, especially when you consider we have a whole 'nother Smash game with a bunch more new stages coming in November, not to mention a massive 48/51 (or more, possibly) character roster.

Josephl64

Wow. You'd think this apology video would do more damage than her being seen in public with a boyfriend, since it makes the theater's management look absolutely fucking insane.

their response was something along them having no such policy and they're allowed to date whoever they want.

Which makes an interesting precedent that if an idol was seen dating, they shouldn't be able to do much about it...or at least not in an obvious manner

I feel like i missed so much. Thats what I get for sleeping instead of being on SmashGAF! Lol oh well.

Is there any word on how many blocks the 3DS download will be? Im thinking of downloading the game if we dont get the "Double pack" in the US

Cody_D165

Banned
Man, I so wish Mushroom Kingdom II would make a comeback. I loved that stage.

"Unforgivable?" Is it really? Come on. The stage selection is a little disappointing, but "unforgivable" is so hyperbolic it's ridiculous, especially when you consider we have a whole 'nother Smash game with a bunch more new stages coming in November, not to mention a massive 48/51 (or more, possibly) character roster.

Funny how even though it's never been confirmed, you're so confident the game's coming in November, Mr. NDA... ;)

Joking, it's pretty obvious by now after all the posted/removed dates and whatnot

You don't value stages as much as me, but if the character roster was this small (smaller than Brawl's here, let's remind everyone) and the stage roster was comparatively large people would absolutely be crying foul. And unless the Wii U version has a considerably larger stage roster then having two less than fully featured Smash games is worse as far as I'm concerned than having one fully featured one. These are two games that are ostensibly supposed to stand on their own. If their stage rosters can't, then the games cannot. I'm sorry.

It's hyperbolic, but so what? Spare me.

SuperSah

Banned
SSB3DS stages are more than "unforgivable":

Reset Bomb Forest
Final Destination (looks fucking beautiful)
Spirit Train
Paper Mario
Mario 3D Land
GameBoy
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

This is just a rough list, there are so many good stages on 3DS.

random25

This isn't cultural differences though. Having the "no dating" rule for members of the band is a corporate motive.

I'm pretty much pertaining to the extremity of the apology. It's not that Japanese show business are the only ones who have a "no date" rule. There are others too, but no extreme things being done like shaving one's head and issuing a lengthy public apology.

Hatchtag

Banned
I can honestly say N's Castle, Sticker Star, F-Zero SNES/GBA, and Corneria are the only 3DS stages I'm really hyped about.
It just feels like they picked a lot of entries I don't like in series I do like to be represented.

Richie

I'm still gonna play the stuffing out of this game and am hyped as can be for it (curse having to wait another month, seriously). But it's not hard to see where people's disappointment comes from; if several franchises indeed end up without a new stage, it'll be a first for the series. It's comprehensible if they had to cut corners in order to deal with the development of two whole games, but every other aspect of the 3DS version stood on its own so far; the stage selection is the one area where you actively need to remind yourself they had to split development efforts in another game.

Berordn

I'm pretty sure all of us really like at least some of the new stages they've picked, that's never been the issue.

The problem is just how few of those there are, and how many stages seem to have been ported directly from Brawl. There's fewer new stages than there were in Melee, and that's the issue. I'm sure everyone knew going in that the 3DS version wouldn't be quite as fully featured as previous entries, but we're looking at a game that takes one of the most important pieces of content almost directly from a game most of us have already bought, and then asking retail for it.

That just feels wrong.

Toxi

Banned

Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Paper Mario
Mario 3D Land
GameBoy
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

Prism Tower's such a shitty choice though. Everyone hates Lumiose City.

And Jungle Japes again is just eeeaaauurrgh.

random25

Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Paper Mario
Mario 3D Land
GameBoy
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

I also like the new stages revealed on the 3DS version too. Really interesting mix.

Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Paper Mario
Mario 3D Land
GameBoy
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

All of these stages look awesome or were awesome previously. I agree entirely.

Hatchtag

Banned
Prism Tower's such a shitty choice though. Everyone hates Lumiose City.

And Jungle Japes again is just eeeaaauurrgh.

Agreed, plus it has the whole problem Delfino Plaza and Skyloft have-making a stage based on a populated area, but not being able to make it look populated.

But Pokemon gets a pass because N's Castle was by far my most wanted new stage.

Regiruler

Reset Bomb Forest
Spirit Train
Paper Mario
Mario 3D Land
GameBoy
Prism Tower
Arena Ferox
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

They could have picked a stage from literally any other KIU chapter bar 1 or 3 and it would have been more interesting. Gaol's Castle, the Space Pirate Ship, Ruined Village, or Hades' Belly would have been ace.

Chapter 11 leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

For the most part, I'm really liking the new 3DS stages, but I'm definitely dissapointed with certain series just getting ignored for new content. No new DK, Star Fox, or Metroid in particular are a huge bummer.

Hell, even as a not a huge Sonic fan, I would've loved something like Chemical Plant Zone.

Top Bottom