• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XV: Kübler-Ross Edition

Yeah, SSB3DS's stage roster is pretty awful. I still can't believe it actually has fewer new stages than Melee had and fewer stages period than Brawl. And the large gaping holes in new stage representation are pretty unforgivable.

georly

Look how beautiful this looks compared to the SSB4 stage select screen. Combine this with the fact that DK, Star Fox, Metroid, Wario, and Yoshi aren't even getting new stages. Unbelievable.

8L5gTLH.png

Wii U version is our last hope.

Yeah, SSB3DS's stage roster is pretty awful. I still can't believe it actually has fewer new stages than Melee had and fewer stages period than Brawl. And the large gaping holes in new stage representation are pretty unforgivable.
My hope is that it has something to do with having to limit stuff for the 3DS version and that the Wii U will have a shit ton of stages...we'll see.

My hope is that it has something to do with having to limit stuff for the 3DS version and that the Wii U will have a shit ton of stages...we'll see.
Yeah, hopefully this is one area that the Wii U version is not forced into arbitrary parity with the 3DS version.

When the leak came everyone was so excited about the relatively exciting character roster but the laughably weak stage roster was just kind of skipped over.

Cse

Banned

I agree.

I'm hoping they go all out on the Wii U version in terms of the amount of stages offered.

Heropon

I hope it's that. I was actually excited for the handheld focus of the 3DS stage roster but it seems that it was only true for Mario, Zelda and the mysterious "unlockable" Kirby stage. I wanted a Metroid 2/Fusion stage or something from Wario Land!

SuperSah

Banned
As much as I LOVE the 3DS game, I'm not gonna defend the stage selection.

It could do with work, but the new stages ARE awesome.

The stages in the 3DS version disappoint me - Nintendo has such a rich portable game history and they could have pulled way more from this. Link's Awakening, Metroid Fusion, Mega Man V, and so on. I'm still very excited about the actual stages, but the idea of choosing stages from more of the portable entries has so much more potential than they're actually utilizing. Hopefully the Game Boy stages introduces a few of these - we already know there's at least one part based on Kirby's Dream Land.

Zubz

Banned

I'm in the same boat. The Wii U needs to make up for this, and hopefully the 3DS gets DLC Stages as well, because this stage roster is disgustingly disappointing.

I hope it's that. I was actually excited for the handeld focus of the 3DS stage roster but it seems that it was only true for Mario, Zelda and the mysterious "unlockable" Kirby stage.
Yeah, if the Wii U one has great stages, I'm fine with everything. I was always going to mainly be playing on that version anyway, so have some new stages mixed with some older ones will suit me fine for portable Smash. Still, so surprised how lacking it is.

How can they get anything done, unless like... 90% of them are backup dancers?

They break up in to teams for things

The idea is that people can meet AKB48 members so they keep expanding to have more shows in different places.

They're also the best example of how awful idol culture in Japan is. People become obsessed with them. The more popular ones are not allowed to have any social lives. One was seen with a man once in public and had to issue a crying video apology where she shaved her head as penance because so much of the audience was angry.

I was actually excited for the handeld focus of the 3DS stage roster but it seems that it was only true for Mario, Zelda and the mysterious "unlockable" Kirby stage.

Same.

This disappointment is giving me a weird Sonic Generations 3DS vibe, haha. Probably because it also squandered it's potential for remade stages from handheld games.

Berordn

I can only hope, and it's a pretty big hope, that this is because there's a significant amount of content they had to develop for Smash Run and that being their main focus on the 3DS version gave it priority when it came to developing new stages and the like.

Which is still pretty unforgivable, but it would at least explain some things. I'm kind of thankful that Pictochat is new-ish so hopefully the Brawl stages got some other tweaks to go with them, but this is still pretty dreadful.

Neiteio

They're also the best example of how awful idol culture in Japan is. People become obsessed with them. The more popular ones are not allowed to have any social lives. One was seen with a man once in public and had to issue a crying video apology where she shaved her head as penance because so much of the audience was angry.
Holy shit. Can you link to an article on this? That's insane.

Hatchtag

Banned
I know a lot of people hoped Smash Run on the 3DS meant Wii U would get its own exclusive feature, but fuck it, just give us more stages instead.

... WAT.

O_O

Kriken

misfits.gif

SuperSah

Banned
Wait, do we even know if the stage roster is complete (similar to the character roster)?

We don't actually know yet.

For all we know, the ESRB might have just covered a good amount, then Sakurai may have even decided to hold some back for surprise.

There's only so much he could do for a leak, but this is speculation at best.

Hatchtag

Banned
We don't actually know yet.

For all we know, the ESRB might have just covered a good amount, then Sakurai may have even decided to hold some back for surprise.

There's only so much he could do for a leak, but this is speculation at best.

This is the other thing I'm holding out for. I hope there's at least one more stage.

Yeah, hopefully this is one area that the Wii U version is not forced into arbitrary parity with the 3DS version.

When the leak came everyone was so excited about the relatively exciting character roster but the laughably weak stage roster was just kind of skipped over.
Oh I've not been skipping over this I can assure you.
Still bugs the shit out of me that some franchises loaded up on multiple new stages while others just get their Melee/Brawl table scraps.
On top of this it gives me doubts as to the stage quality of the Wii U version, hopefully that'll be the one to right these wrongs but seeing what they did here I'm not as optimistic as I'd like to be.

Same.

This disappointment is giving me a weird Sonic Generations 3DS vibe, haha. Probably because it also squandered it's potential for remade stages from handheld games.

Also like Generations 3DS they skipped out on making some new stages by just throwing old ones in their place, no matter the game Green Hill Zone just can't catch a break on 3DS.

Vidpixel

Er... this is beyond disturbing if true.

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm gonna get hate for this but I like the 3DS version's stage selection :3

I've always honestly expected there to be a lot of returning stages in the handheld version ever since they announced the gap in release between both versions. I figured they'd cut corners somewhere to make it work. All of the new stages present seem like solid picks, and the only returning stage I truly hate is Mushroomy Kingdom. I fucking love the fact that Corneria, Pictochat, Green Hill, and Brawl Yoshi's Island are returning. I wish Fountain of Dreams and Melee Yoshi's were there, but maybe the Wii U version will bring 'em back.

So I tend to explain things in Simpsons references

Basically, remember the Be-Sharps episode

Homer:
[excited] Wait till I tell Marge!
Nigel: [with consternation] Oh, yes...Bouffant Betty. Well, I would prefer if we kept your marriage a secret. You see, a lot of women are going to want to have sex with you, and, er, we want them to think they can.
Homer: Well, if I explain it to Marge that way, I'm sure she'll understand.

CQjOs2y.png

That is idol culture in Japan!

They want all the fans to think the girls are virginal and pure and that the audience can woo them and be the ones they fall in love with. Then people become obsessed and react strongly whenever it's shown one has a boyfriend or goes on a date.

It's pretty harmful.

Toxi

Banned
Look how beautiful this looks compared to the SSB4 stage select screen. Combine this with the fact that DK, Star Fox, Metroid, Wario, and Yoshi aren't even getting new stages. Unbelievable.

8L5gTLH.png
Keep in mind the screen size difference. You gotta make those selections visible, and that means a less attractive layout just to pack them all in.

But yeah, no new stage for those franchises suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Azure J

They break up in to teams for things

The idea is that people can meet AKB48 members so they keep expanding to have more shows in different places.

I've heard a lot of stories about idols and idol culture in Japan before and it never really hit me just how truly fucked this is until I saw this.

What the actual fuck man.

Kensho

MushroomKingdom64.jpg

You're probably thinking of this stage from SSB64, which is similar looking but not the same. That stage you quoted is from Melee. I'll forgive you forgetting it because it's so terrible, but it absolutely, 100%, is from Melee.

Man that was like, my favorite stage from 64. It being the only unlockable one made it even better, you could go down the pipes and come out of the other.

what the fuck
I actually feel bad Nintendo is supporting this shit.
My feelings also. Japanese idol culture sounds disgusting.

Kensho

Wait until we see full roster of stages. They could add few more stages before the game went gold but I doubt it anyway.

I'm sure stages are decided almost as early as characters... so nah. They require a lot of balancing, even if a lot of Brawl ones didn't show that...

I can only hope, and it's a pretty big hope, that this is because there's a significant amount of content they had to develop for Smash Run and that being their main focus on the 3DS version gave it priority when it came to developing new stages and the like.

Which is still pretty unforgivable, but it would at least explain some things. I'm kind of thankful that Pictochat is new-ish so hopefully the Brawl stages got some other tweaks to go with them, but this is still pretty dreadful.

Smash Run not having Nintendo inspired locations mesh together is so stupid and a huge missed opportunity.

Top Bottom