• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Website UPDATED (Character Videos and more!)

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Feels like this is Sakurai's last involvement in Smash and they make Bomberman an assist trophy :(

kunonabi

Man I'm still pissed Daisy is a clone. I was hoping she'd be heavily sports based with her athletic look.

not liking the final smash changes. all the interesting ones are gone, now everything seems to be essentially one of three types (lots of damage on contact, fill the screen with projectiles or a target)

seems geared at e-sports/fighting game nerds and less at smash wackiness

T1184

Neo Member
I liked almost every change! I think it was a great idea to sorta go back to their roots and improve upon all the old stuff instead of just bombarding with a bunch of new stuff.

But Marth being voiced in English hurt me a lot.

kunonabi

I liked almost every change! I think it was a great idea to sorta go back to their roots and improve upon all the old stuff instead of just bombarding with a bunch of new stuff.

But Marth being voiced in English hurt me a lot.

I was hoping they'd remove English voices not add them. Ryu's is so freaking terrible.

jwillenn

giphy.gif

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
not liking the final smash changes. all the interesting ones are gone, now everything seems to be essentially one of three types (lots of damage on contact, fill the screen with projectiles or a target)

seems geared at e-sports/fighting game nerds and less at smash wackiness

esports people and fighting game nerds wouldn't even use smash balls, it's more or less making it more streamlined for casuals. Which is fine with me, I play with items on.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So other than ZSS model being changed

FXP6Dq1.jpg

eZpxJ7n.jpg

what else changed? Yes she got Lara'd move on pls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jezan

FXP6Dq1.jpg

eZpxJ7n.jpg

What do you mean? Her heels are not too high but probably need stand still pics, her boobs are not big and she now has muscles, specially the legs.

Her face is a little bit different but I'm noting that even Peach looks different, I think there is a new light engine or something because in some stages the faces (of everyone) look like they do not fit the game, they look like mods. But I can't pinpoint why

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean? Her heels are not too high but probably need stand still pics, her boobs are not big and she now has muscles, specially the legs.

Her face is a little bit different but I'm noting that even Peach looks different, I think there is a new light engine or something because in some stages the faces (of everyone) look like they do not fit the game, they look like mods. But I can't pinpoint why
I meant as in physical changes. Which that model did. Small stuff you notice, ect ect. I noticed ZSS change right away since I used her the most.

KevinKeene

Banned
Ok, I'm not one to talk, but the contestants if the Invitational ... 'stereotypes' would be a diolomatic description of their looks. :D

FXP6Dq1.jpg

eZpxJ7n.jpg

Noticed that as well. Not cool, Sakurai :(

CD'S BAR

Seems like they went the more economical route by building off wii u. Still, I think having all of the old characters updated adds enough new flavor.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I'm not one to talk, but the contestants if the Invitational ... 'stereotypes' would be a diolomatic description of their looks. :D

Noticed that as well. Not cool, Sakurai :(
You can barely see her beauty mark :(

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The sad Bomberman news doesn't end...

I have to figure their will be even more characters for DLC. I watched the Smash tournament yesterday and this game looks great. It did look like Ridley was tough to use though, just seemed like a big target for the other pros to kick around but in close quarters did some serious damage.

93xfan

Banned
This guy on GameFaqs called everything else correctly 3 weeks ago, so I'm guessing he's right about

Simon Belmont

Awesome.

I’ve been saying that a Belmont character would be ideal!

I was always thinking that the character could just be called Belmont and you could have different costumes:

Simon from 1
Simon from 2
Trevor from 3
Simon from 4
Richter from Bloodlines

If true, can’t wait to hear the music choices.

Last edited:

Solo Act

I've always played other fighting games. SNES was Mortal Kombat, N64 was Killer Instinct and WCW, GameCube was SoulCalibur, etc. I've only played Smash a few times over the years and never "got" it. I plan to buy Ultimate however, but I have some very dumb questions that maybe people can help me with.

1. Does this series have any kind of story mode? The Direct video talked about unlocking characters. How does that occur?
2. Does each character have the same controls, or do all 64 characters have a set of special move controls that you have to learn as in Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat?
3. I see there are items. Do these work like in PowerStone where it kind of "supes up" your character for a short time?
4. How the heck do the percentages work? Is the entire goal just to knock people off the side of the screen or will they "die" if they get to zero health?
5. I always see videos of people air jumping back to the ledge after getting knocked off. What is the limit that controls this? If someone masters the game, can they always air jump back to the ledge and almost never lose?

Last edited:

tkscz

I've always played other fighting games. SNES was Mortal Kombat, N64 was Killer Instinct and WCW, GameCube was SoulCalibur, etc. I've only played Smash a few times over the years and never "got" it. I plan to buy Ultimate however, but I have some very dumb questions that maybe people can help me with.

1. Does this series have any kind of story mode? The Direct video talked about unlocking characters. How does that occur?
2. Does each character have the same controls, or do all 64 characters have a set of special move controls that you have to learn as in Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat?
3. I see there are items. Do these work like in PowerStone where it kind of "supes up" your character for a short time?
4. How the heck do the percentages work? Is the entire goal just to knock people off the side of the screen or will they "die" if they get to zero health?
5. I always see videos of people air jumping back to the ledge after getting knocked off. What is the limit that controls this? If someone masters the game, can they always air jump back to the ledge and almost never lose?

1. The only one with a story mode was Brawl on the Wii and people loved it, but it never got brought back. We're hoping it comes back with Ultimate.
2. Same controls, but the majority of the characters handle significantly different from one another (excluding echo characters).
3. Some itmes do, but most don't. Items are used as weapons, power ups or summons. Items can also be turned off.
4. The percentage goes up, the higher it goes, the easier it is to get knocked off. The goal is to knock each other out of the stage. You can get knocked off in any direction (Up, side or down, as long as it's too far off screen). Some items allow you to jump REALLY high up, but you can't die from jumping directly up off screen, you have to be knocked.
5. For the majority of characters, you have a double jump and an Up-Smash (pressing Up and B) which gives you an upwards boost. After using an up smash in the air, your character becomes unable to move unless they touch ground or die by falling off. Some characters (Kirby, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, Rob, and Beyonetta) get more than one jump, but each jump decrease in height and slows movement. Meteor attacks also balance this. These are air-strikes that send the opponent hurdling straight downward at speeds too fast to recover. Most Tournament level players master Meteor strikes in order to win, but there is a huge risk to using them.

KevinKeene

Banned
I'm more pissed that Daisy is a fighter now :/ Waluigi deserved to be in there before here.

And Krystal and Bomberman relegated to trophy status? Sakurai gives (Ridley) and takes at the same time :(

Since we won't see many newcomers according to him, I'll just name my Top5 that I think make sense:

- Dixie Kong (considering Sakurai is in a bit of a feninist phase -see Samus' sad boobjob- more female presentation seems a no-brainer. And she'd be a fun character for sure)
- a new Pokemon (that's 100% imo, no way we'll only get old ones)
- a Xenoblade-character (Elma or Rex/Pyra)
- ARMS-character (I'd hope for Twintelle, but Sakurai will probably choose the boring option and goes for Springman)
- Simon Belmont (has been part of the rumors that have turned out true so far)

That's it. I don't believe there'll be any HUGE surprises after this E3, so no Son Goku. A Fire Emblem-character from Fates seems likely, hoping for Camilla.

Andyliini

I have a feeling Smash is off to a break after this game. I'm not sure if Nintendo is planning to add DLC to this game, but somehow I doubt it. This game is really Ultimate, and when the series returns one day, it would havr to look things from completely different perspective. I even feel like Sakurai is finally ready to step down from the series producer role.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I'd be very upset if you were telling lies. You've listed the big three that I want. As for something FF7 related I'd say Tifa would make sense as a Lil Mac assist trophy replacement.

I might delete this post soon since I don't want to cause the source I got this information from any trouble though I can't help it to share this information out of curiosity, even if it won't stay here for too long.

There are gonna be 12 newcomers in total from which 5 of them are going to be based on other fighters.

For the new ones I only got information on 3 characters who should appear in this title:

- Simon Belmont
- King K. Rool
- Isaac
- X
- X
- X
- X

I never react to stuff the way you see people do on youtube videos, but if Isaac from Golden Sun is revealed playable for Smash Ultimate I will scream with joy!

Retro_Stew

Oh I'd be very upset if you were telling lies. You've listed the big three that I want. As for something FF7 related I'd say Tifa would make sense as a Lil Mac assist trophy replacement.

But what does your source have to say about this one that's been going around?

I can only assume that Whip = Belmont, Eye = K. Rool, and Anime = Isaac. Unless it's taking the Isaac name too literally and it counts as the scientist one instead. Soren is most definitely edgy I'd say and Chrom of course has blue hair. Either way it's hard to believe any leak just yet even if one got just about everything right for the reveal.

Echo "Edgy" = Shadow the Hedgehog

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So he finally decided to delete it? Not that it matters when people screencapped it anyways.

D

Deleted member 744939

Unconfirmed Member
Hello again everyone.
I wanted to share the missing information with you all that I got for the game's final characters.

2 out of the 7 newcomers are already confirmed and here are the final ones.

- K Rool (already confirmed)
- Simon Belmont (already confirmed)
- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)
- Terra from the Final Fantasy Series
- Another Bandai Namco character
- Prince Sable from "For the Frog the Bell Tolls"

Coming to the Echo Fighter there are people who didn't understand the system behind my information. The 2 "X" that were left were indeed Dark Samus und Richter. It was the amount of characters I got information on for the time being. And I didn't include characters like Inkling,Ridley and Daisy since they were already officially confirmed at that point. Since people doubted it I only wanted to share information again when some of the characters I called were finally confirmed.
There will be no more "X" this time since I wanted to make sure that everyone is named.

With that said there will indeed be more Echo Fighters than I anticipated before.

- Chrom based on Roy (already confirmed)
- Soren based on Robin (still on his way)
- Dark Samus based on Samus (already confirmed)
- Richter based on Simon (already confirmed)
- Ken based on Ryu (still on his way)
- Shadow the Hedgehog based on Sonic (still on his way)
- Felix based on Isaac(will be revealed together with Isaac like Simon was with Richter)
- Isabelle based on Villager (still on her way)
- Galacta Knight based on Meta Knight (still on his way)

As for the Bandai Namco character, it's the only one left I don't know about. I will update it if I get my hands on that information.
That's it for the main roster. I don't know if there are any plans for DLC but since Super Smash Bros for the Wii U had DLC you can most likely expect it here as well.

This post will be deleted soon as well. And again, take it or leave it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Hello again everyone.
I wanted to share the missing information with you all that I got for the game's final characters.

- Isaac (is on his way)
- Monster Hunter (is still in development which is the reason why he wasn't confirmed today)

Coming to the Echo Fighter there are people who didn't understand the system behind my information. The 2 "X" that were left were indeed Dark Samus und Richter. It was the amount of characters I got information on for the time being. And I didn't include characters like Inkling,Ridley and Daisy since they were already officially confirmed at that point. Since people doubted it I only wanted to share information again when some of the characters I called were finally confirmed.
There will be no more "X" this time since I wanted to make sure that everyone is named.

With that said there will indeed be more Echo Fighters than I anticipated before.

- Felix based on Isaac(will be revealed together with Isaac like Simon was with Richter)

As for the Bandai Namco character, it's the only one left I don't know about. I will update it if I get my hands on that information.
That's it for the main roster. I don't know if there are any plans for DLC but since Super Smash Bros for the Wii U had DLC you can most likely expect it here as well.

Now wait just a second. Before you go at least answer one important question. People don't believe Soren because he doesn't use a sword. Does he use a new weapon instead of a dagger? Can your source at least give an answer to that? Besides that fact I believe he would be fitting Robin echo since he's also magic tactician.

lordrand11

Hello again everyone.

- Isaac (is on his way)

I've also heard on the rumor mill that Banjo will make his appearance.

D

Deleted member 744939

Unconfirmed Member
Now wait just a second. Before you go at least answer one important question. People don't believe Soren because he doesn't use a sword. Does he use a new weapon instead of a dagger? Can your source at least give an answer to that? Besides that fact I believe he would be fitting Robin echo since he's also magic tactician.

Soren will indeed have other effects than Robin, similar to what I said to Chrom having other effects than Roy has, if that makes sense.
For one I only know that the bronze sword will be replaced with an adjusted "dagger".

Michele

you.
Hey there, welcome to NeoGAF, @WhisslBlank!

I do not want to annoy you, but before you go: do you know the plot of the new mode? That green one on the menu? Not necessarily the full summary, at least you can give the short summary and/or gameplay if you have the information.
If you don't have much information about the new mode, that's fine by me. I'm hyped for that game, and already there are some real leakers.

Oh and...You said that your post will be deleted soon - could you please elaborate on that? There's really no risk in trying to leak, why would you delete your own post?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Soren will indeed have other effects than Robin, similar to what I said to Chrom having other effects than Roy has, if that makes sense.
For one I only know that the bronze sword will be replaced with an adjusted "dagger".
Well if you say so. Besides that people are also attacking you because of Final Fantasy only having 2 songs and Galacta Knight already being a Meta Knight color as well.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Terra from FF? WTF lol I'll take it I guess.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hello again everyone.

- Isaac (is on his way)

Any information if there will be a proper single player mode or if it just the classic arcade mode?

Speedwagon

Man, why is Monster Hunter getting so much representation in fighting games? Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, a full costume in Street Fighter V, and now Smash Ultimate? I guess I need to play MH eventually.

zombrex

I think Monster Hunter playable character is definitely legit, no way you would have a boss and stage from monster hunter and not have a playable character.
Would also line up with Castlevania having both a stage. boss and playable character.

The rest sounds fairly reasonable too.

Top Bottom