• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

fisheyes

I know I'm in the minority on this, but these kind of stages are exactly what makes me dislike the Smash games aesthetically even though I want to like them (and do like their gameplay overall). Not because of the Pilotwings theme mind you, but becuase of the way in which they implemented that theme (explanation following below).

I can't be the only one who strongly prefers stages that feel grounded in the actual game world (i.e. that are on the actual ground or at the very least feel like part of the game world) and that feature a graphical style that matches the detailed 3D models, right? I mean, floating platforms as stages is one thing, but having them float over a 2D pixelated background that is slanted and doesn't fit the perspective of the platforms no less, is just too much for me.

And yes, I know that earlier games had similar stages (like the Mario 64 one in the original game, which had a horrible slanted perspective in which you looked down on the castle while standing on a floating platform that looked like part of the castle's roof). They must be doing it on purpose then, but I simply can't figure out why. Why not just stick to stages like the Earthbound or DK ones in Melee and Brawl that do have a fitting perspective and an art style that fits the character models (and that don't just consist of floating platforms hanging above a random background drawing)? Either you redraw all the old game aesthetics into 3D or don't redraw any of them I would say.

Sigh, of all the franchises never fully to click with me, it had to be the one that combines two of my three most favorite things: fighting and colorful Nintendo characters. If anybody can explain why they DO like these kind of stages with their seemingly copy and paste aesthetics, please do!

I can almost guarantee that even if the stage is just a platform or two above a retro style map, it won't be sitting exclusively at that perspective. There really aren't many stages that just float above the scenery that I can think of - the Animal Crossing is the only one that jumps immediately to mind, other than the moving ones which end up as part of the stage anyway - but I do agree they are the lamer ones.

RagnarokX

Who's to say we have PIlotwing characters at all?

While Wuhu Island is the most likely candidate for a Mii level, they have other homes like the Wara Wara Plaza, Miiverse and all the Streetpass Games.

That's my point. Miis are extremely likely, Pilotwings characters aren't.

JoeInky

Pilotwings is a game about flying around islands, I think it would be a pretty stupid idea to have a grounded stage to represent it.

I for one am looking forward to fighting on moving planes and possibly playing as a Pilotwings character (Mii's being the "Pilotwings character" would be pretty disappointing).

Never thought I'd be seeing a Pilotwings stage in SSB, least of all the fucking SNES Pilotwings, amazing.

Going back to your point though, I've never liked the grounded stages, Onett and stuff like the Twilight Princess bridge are cool and all, but I hate stages where the platform goes all the way to the edge of the screen, there's no real opportunities for edge guarding or throwing someone off and trying to get a meteor smash off, it's just boring.

Spear pillar is a good "grounded" stage, but all the perspective and control flipping is rubbish and doing that for every stage would only work if they were all set on the peak of a mountain.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's my point. Miis are extremely likely, Pilotwings characters aren't.
Well I was thinking this stage would be much like Animal Crossing in the last game, a stage with no character. Since this isn't Wuhu Island I won't even view Miis as the Pilotwing rep (especially as they are far more diverse than that)

Actually, the more I think about it the more I feel like we'll be fighting above it with platforms.

34919-Pilotwings_%28USA%29-6.jpg

What if you're fighting on top of a giant hang glider, that tilts back and forth during the battle?

SNES PILOTWINGS STAGE!!!OMGWTFBBQGFAGHFKTUFY2682t92hjnssuhsu2

THIS is the kind of out-of-the-blue, random-ass reveal I've been waiting for!
If either Tony, Shirley, Lance, or Big Al is revealed as a character I might just die.

Raitaro

Pilotwings is a game about flying around islands, I think it would be a pretty stupid idea to have a grounded stage to represent it.

I for one am looking forward to fighting on moving planes and possibly playing as a Pilotwings character (Mii's being the "Pilotwings character" would be pretty disappointing).

Never thought I'd be seeing a Pilotwings stage in SSB, least of all the fucking SNES Pilotwings, amazing.

Going back to your point though, I've never liked the grounded stages, Onett and stuff like the Twilight Princess bridge are cool and all, but I hate stages where the platform goes all the way to the edge of the screen, there's no real opportunities for edge guarding or throwing someone off and trying to get a meteor smash off, it's just boring.

Spear pillar is a good "grounded" stage, but all the perspective and control flipping is rubbish and doing that for every stage would only work if they were all set on the peak of a mountain.

Yes, for Pilotwings some kind of flying does seem logical of course ;-) I agree. But why then use a pixelated background instead of something more akin to Pilotwings on the N64 or 3DS?

Oh well, for the gameplay itself these kind of aesthetic details don't matter matter too much I guess. Speaking of which, I do find your gameplay perspective on the grounded stages interesting.

If I remember correctly, the original concept of Smash Bros. (you know, the one not featuring Nintendo characters yet) did feature floating stages as well, so your experience that grounded stages with floors that extend to the sides of the screen result in more boring gameplay and less tactical options, seems very fair. It might simply be because I started playing fighting games with Street Fighter etc where every stage is grounded that I have trouble adjusting to this concept. I'll be sure to give it another go when the new game comes out though.

JoeInky

Yes, for Pilotwings some kind of flying does seem logical of course ;-) I agree. But why then use a pixelated background instead of something more akin to Pilotwings on the N64 or 3DS?

Oh well, for the gameplay itself these kind of aesthetic details don't matter matter too much I guess. Speaking of which, I do find your gameplay perspective on the grounded stages interesting.

If I remember correctly, the original concept of Smash Bros. (you know, the one not featuring Nintendo characters yet) did feature floating stages as well, so your experience that grounded stages with floors that extend to the sides of the screen result in more boring gameplay and less tactical options, seems very fair. It might simply be because I started playing fighting games with Street Fighter etc where every stage is grounded that I have trouble adjusting to this concept. I'll be sure to give it another go when the new game comes out though.

For me, I have way more nostalgia and excitement for SNES pilotwings than it's sequels, so I love seeing that ol' pixelated map. I'm the same with F-Zero, if it turned out one of the F-Zero stages was playing on the Death Wind stage with a Death Wind remix playing? I would be hyped about that more than anything else they could possibly do for an F-Zero stage.

And yeah, I definitely think there are more tactical opportunities with non-ground stages, the sheer amount of movement options in smash bros. is what really sets the game apart from other fighting games (MK, SF, MvC) that I've played, I feel like limiting that kinda dumbs down the game a bit because it makes it too easy to just grab someone on the edge of the screen and cheese it a bit.

I do think it would be interesting to have a few stages like other fighting games where there wasn't an "edge" of the screen per se, kind of like Shadow Moses Island in Brawl but without the destructible walls, but the meat of smash stages for me is platforms floating above Nintendo locations or whizzing around random islands.

On another topic, what if Link's side B got replaced with the hookshot? Keep his grab being a hookshot for the range but what if pressing side b (and also tilting it up or down to aim it slightly), would damage them and pull you towards them so you can attack again?

I really like Link's boomerang, but if they replaced it with something that worked like that, I'd be pretty okay with it.

Jackano

I'm all for it! That's a very good idea, and once again, like Wii Fit Trainer, against everyone's lists and guesstimates.
Can't wait for some music announcements.

I dunno, I think it looks like it's zoomed in a lot. Like maybe there might be a good deal more going on, and that the island is kind of a cameo background element. Hence why we're seeing no platforms whatsoever. He's paused it and zoomed in quite a bit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I dunno, I think it looks like it's zoomed in a lot. Like maybe there might be a good deal more going on, and that the island is kind of a cameo background element. Hence why we're seeing no platforms whatsoever. He's paused it and zoomed in quite a bit.

That's why I mentioned that it might came from Wuhu Island Stage.

JoeInky

With the inclusion of a fucking Pilotwings stag, how likely is it that we'd get something like a Waverace stage?

I would be down for that.

Could a Waverace character even work? The answer would be yes obviously but would that be something pretty fun to see.

MisterHero

With the inclusion of a fucking Pilotwings stag, how likely is it that we'd get something like a Waverace stage?

I would be down for that.

Could a Waverace character even work? The answer would be yes obviously but would that be something pretty fun to see.
Wave Race/1080 can be represented by Ricky Winterborne, who's traded his snowboard for a skateboard. lol I remember people not liking Ricky when he was new

A Pilotwings stage? Amazing. Amazing amazing. I love Pilotwings. Stick Pilotwings 64 on the Wii U virtual console for me too, please.

Does that imply there'll be a Pilotwings character? Dunno who that would be. As long as we get some of the music I'm very happy. I used to fly around in GTAIV's helicopter in first person with the Pilotwings Gyrocopter music playing as my custom soundtrack.

afoni

Banned
my only memory of pilotwings was my friend resetting the console when i got a higher score than him and forcing us to play yoshi story on the n64 instead

ahh, nostalgia

MisterHero

A Pilotwings stage? Amazing. Amazing amazing. I love Pilotwings. Stick Pilotwings 64 on the Wii U virtual console for me to, please.

Does that imply there'll be a Pilotwings character? Dunno who that would be. As long as we get some of the music I'm very happy. I used to fly around in GTAIV's helicopter in first person with the Pilotwings Gyrocopter music playing as my custom soundtrack.
Pilotwings Resort used Miis. I'd rather have Lark with a moveset dedicated to Pilotwings though. Miis have all kinds of sports to pull moves from.

ALM5252

There needs to be a Wuhu Island. I'm sure that stage is iconic.
Not saying anything negative about the PilotWings stage, but it just looks bland from that one screenshot, so hopefully it will be more immersive.

There's a Brawl Mod of Wuhu Island, and it's pretty good although it doesn't land anywhere at the moment:
SSBB Mods - Wuhu Island 1.0

SuperSah

Banned
There needs to be a Wuhu Island. I'm sure that stage is iconic.
Not saying anything negative about the PilotWings stage, but it just looks bland from that one screenshot, so hopefully it will be more immersive.

There's a Brawl Mod of Wuhu Island, and it's pretty good although it doesn't land anywhere at the moment:
SSBB Mods - Wuhu Island 1.0

I'm sure Wuhu Island will be based on the 3DS.

They could use the Pilotwings version or steal the Mario Kart one and make a moving stage out of it.

Welp, it's safe to say the 3DS version has nicer stages so far.

Seems like such a odd idea for a stage.

Odder than a stage based on Super Mario 2?

Or Electroplankton?

Or the DS Doodlechat or whatever it was called?

This is Sakurai, his unpredictability is one of his best/worst qualities.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather have Wuhu Island on the U and use the Streetpass Plaza games as inspiration for the Mii stage on the 3DS. Though what I visualise is based on the latest update with the scrolling screen and rabbit holes which is likely too new to be included in Smash now.

SuperSah

Banned
Odder than a stage based on Super Mario 2?

Or Electroplankton?

Or the DS Doodlechat or whatever it was called?

This is Sakurai, his unpredictability is one of his best/worst qualities.

I think it's odd looking because we see no platform. It just looks like a flat background with no life to it.

Obviously there'll be platforms, i'm just saying.

Javier

Hype starts to die down... awesome update out of nowhere.

SAKURAI GETS IT.

EDIT: As for the stage, I think it will be similar to Mario Circuit in Brawl, with one of the roads being the playable area, and planes flying around as hazards.

Berordn

I'm sure Wuhu Island will be based on the 3DS.

They could use the Pilotwings version or steal the Mario Kart one and make a moving stage out of it.

Wuhu Island belongs on consoles. It originated in Wii Fit and also got use in Wii Sports Resort, and it's coming to Wii U in Wii Fit U eventually.

SuperSah

Banned
Wuhu Island belongs on consoles. It originated in Wii Fit and also got use in Wii Sports Resort, and it's coming to Wii U in Wii Fit U eventually.

Possibly so, but it also works on the 3DS.

It could be thrown both ways, they're both likely to get it.

-PXG-

So....Majora's Mask Young Link. Anyone? He transforms into Deku Scrub, Goron or Zora Link (think Pokemon Trainer from Brawl). His final smash turns him into Fierce Diety Link. So yeah... Who's with me?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well I'll be damned, a Pilotwings stage. Cannot wait to see how that works. Wonder if it's just Wii U or considering Resort was on 3DS if it'll be on that as well.

Raitaro

i hope they show off the mystical ninja starring goemon stage soon

Now THAT is an example of wishful thinking out of left field that would even shame most people here! I could totally get behind this idea mind you.

Sigh, why did this franchise have to die Konami? Why!?

1upmuffin

I wonder if since they showed the SNES Pilotwings version if its just gonna be a floating stage that flies over the island with some planes flying past. It would be neat if the whole stage except for the platforn was Mode 7 styled.

Top Bottom