• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

DaBoss

That comparison video highlights the fact that they are using more saturation for the colors, that is always a good thing.

batfax

This.
It would be awesome.
YD3lL8c.gif
IirqHMW.jpg

Now I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen :(

Only if you set it to 200% damage.

Village

I hope each version just works out as

3ds, you get less stuff but you can take it anywhere

U you get more stuff, but its a home console, and you cannot just break that out at a train station.

RM8

Mario: Pretty much the same, I like both.
Pit: I kind of like Brawl Pit better somehow.
Samus: New Samus all the way.
Bowser: New Bowser all the way.
Fox, DK: Kind of look the same.
Link: I think I prefer Brawl Link.

Also, Kirby fan OCD observation: his shoes are now pink-ish, like they've been in his own games for quite a while. This makes me happy (even if I always use white or blue Kirby).

ash_ag

Sorry for the stupid question, but it looks like the 3DS version will be "cel" graphics only? If you know what I mean.

You mean cel-shaded? If so, no. They decided to outline the characters so that they can be made out easier in 3DS's small screen.

DigitalOp

Banned
You know what really excites me about Smash right now?...

We finally get REAL online play!!! And Miiverse will set it off to the next level!! That's exciting. And this thread is proof we're gonna have a friggin awesome community full of competition.

The OT will be banana!! Can't wait to play y'all in the near future. Its gonna be wild!

This makes me wanna boot up brawl and see if people are still playing

Rayis

SO basically Sakurai already confirmed that the 3DS and Wii U version's will have the same characters, however, he's going to cut characters that were included in Melee and Brawl, that's worrying, I wonder who's leaving.

Jawmuncher

You know what really excites me about Smash right now?...

We finally get REAL online play!!! And Miiverse will set it off to the next level!! That's exciting. And this thread is proof we're gonna have a friggin awesome community full of competition.

The OT will be banana!! Can't wait to play y'all in the near future. Its gonna be wild!

This makes me wanna boot up brawl and see if people are still playing

Agreed I have high hopes for Smashs online.
Miiverse should make things even better though!

Kangi

Old Samus just looked too bulky. I liked her aesthetics more, but the new one looks like someone who can actually be an agile fighter.

Bowser's blatantly better, the rest look better - except for Link who I'm split on.

TrueBlue

I like how there's a more cartoony feel to Mario, Bowser and DK. I think it might be the focus on the primary colours that Sakurai mentioned, they just pop out a lot more this time around.

Minor pet peeve: I hope Bowser and DK get their real voice actors this time around, always thought their more monstrous grunts in Brawl sounded weird, especially Bowser.

Sleepy

You mean cel-shaded? If so, no. They decided to outline the characters so that they can be made out easier in 3DS's small screen.

Yeah, that's it. It looks weird to me, but that may be the close ups. This damn game isn't coming until Q4 2014...I can just feel it.

Damn, when they're side by side, the changes aren't as huge as they originally appeared. Some characters like Donkey Kong and Bowser look practically identical, and Fox, for some weird ass reason still has a stupid jagged, blocky tail.

Well you're comparing both games drastically shrunk down and not at native resolution. Smash 4 is probably at 720p. Blow up Brawl to that and it'll look a mess. Not to mention the art style is more cartoony, as evidenced by Mario's jeans not having that noticeable denim texture and going for something more soft and cloth-like

But Brawl was an incredibly game that doesn't get enough credit. People forget you had 4 highly detailed characters in super busy stages at 60fps! And they had a lightning mode!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I want to see everyone's alternate colors and those are never shown pretty much until the game is released :(

Probably not determined until then too.

Meelow

Banned
SO basically Sakurai already confirmed that the 3DS and Wii U version's will have the same characters, however, he's going to cut characters that were included in Melee and Brawl, that's worrying, I wonder who's leaving.

IF they are taking some people out, it probably would be Lucas, Snake and R.O.B

Lucas because he was pretty much an exact copy of Ness.

Snake because the only way he could appear is if MGSV comes to Wii U.

And R.O.B because he wasn't really the best playable character.

I hope in the end when SSB4 is finished that there will be more characters, guess we'll see.

Bulky Samus is the best Samus, the Other M arm cannon looks like a mere pea shooter by comparison, i'm still disappointed Prime Samus got skipped over twice now.
I do like the lights on this newer Samus though.

hatchx

Banned
IF they are taking some people out, it probably would be Lucas, Snake and R.O.B

Lucas because he was pretty much an exact copy of Ness.

Snake because the only way he could appear is if MGSV comes to Wii U.

And R.O.B because he wasn't really the best playable character.

I hope in the end when SSB4 is finished that there will be more characters, guess we'll see.

I beg to differ.

Some of the images in the comparison video are zoomed in when placed side by side which doesn't help the look (Kirby in particular). Mario, Samus, Bowser, Pit (much better feet) look a lot better.

Link is hit or miss.

I don't know what's more mind blowing here, the fact that Brawl's models are SO FUCKING GOOD 5 years later or that the actual SSB4 models look outright better than the renders made for Brawl's still images.

Also, gorgeous lighting and color saturation in Smash 4. I prefer that look way more than anything else in the series.

true.

DaBoss

New samus looks plastic, toy-ish. I do not like it.

Brawl samus looks like she has armor on, and there is a person in there.

I don't understand EVERYTHING you said.

Because she doesn't have all of those bumps/extra stuff on her armor it makes it look like she doesn't have armor? What?

And it looks like there isn't a person in there? I won't even bother asking how.

I repost my comparison image for seeing the diferences better.

Fox is, in my opinion, almost identical.

https://imageshack.us/a/img854/1094/ssbcompkth.jpg

Great pic, thanks for creating it. It illustrates the better usage of colours.

I repost my comparison image for seeing the diferences better.

Fox is, in my opinion, almost identical.

ssbcompkth.jpg

Cool pic! And I agree. Outside of the more cartoon-y style from Brawl to For Wii U :)P), he looks pretty much the same.

I think it would have been cool if they brought the fur shading from DKC:TF to For Wii U. It'd look gorgeous.

Top Bottom