• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition |OT4| Daigo Who?

Don't know if you guys remember, but I threw a tournament for SSF4 AE 2012 on both Xbox 360 and PS3 with the winner getting a free copy of SFxT. With the announcement of USF4, I'd like to do the same thing again. Except I want to do a Xbox, PC, and PS3 tournament. Only the digital version though and since you have to have AE already to participate I assume you won't have trouble upgrading to Ultra from there. I'd like it to be random select again(for fun and hype) and I'd like the tournament to run a little longer than before when we used 3/5 rounds from the tournament mode.

Anyways, we're a long ways off and I just want to announce this idea and hopefully their is enough interest so we can run at least a 8 man bracket on every platform. I'd hate to forget so please remind me if I do. Unless I fall on hard times, I definitely want to do this(or I'll just set aside $45 right now). My only request is that I only want players who actually want USF4 since we're only talking about the digital version, I will be sending money and not a copy of the game of course. So if you don't care for USF4, don't decide to join in and take away someone else's spot just for the sake of entering for fun.

Maybe we can do another GAFbats, or maybe this will be a one day tourney. I guess we can figure that out another time but like I said I'd love to do another one of these for the upcoming title so please enter if you're interested.

jlai

Don't know if you guys remember, but I threw a tournament for SSF4 AE 2012 on both Xbox 360 and PS3 with the winner getting a free copy of SFxT. With the announcement of USF4, I'd like to do the same thing again. Except I want to do a Xbox, PC, and PS3 tournament. Only the digital version though and since you have to have AE already to participate I assume you won't have trouble upgrading to Ultra from there. I'd like it to be random select again(for fun and hype) and I'd like the tournament to run a little longer than before when we used 3/5 rounds from the tournament mode.

Anyways, we're a long ways off and I just want to announce this idea and hopefully their is enough interest so we can run at least a 8 man bracket on every platform. I'd hate to forget so please remind me if I do. Unless I fall on hard times, I definitely want to do this(or I'll just set aside $45 right now). My only request is that I only want players who actually want USF4 since we're only talking about the digital version, I will be sending money and not a copy of the game of course. So if you don't care for USF4, don't decide to join in and take away someone else's spot just for the sake of entering for fun.

Maybe we can do another GAFbats, or maybe this will be a one day tourney. I guess we can figure that out another time but like I said I'd love to do another one of these for the upcoming title so please enter if you're interested.

I'm in!

To sponsor a copy for a winner as well :p

I'm in!

To sponsor a copy for a winner as well :p

I still remember your epic GF with RB on the Xbox side of that tourney I threw. It was Sim vs Adon I think. Honestly I was really rooting for you to take it all. Too bad you fell short though.

But yeah, I'll let that post sit for a while and see how much interest it gets(maybe I'll have to go to the FGC thread as well) and ideas on what kind of format we should use.

Edgeward

If it's a one day thing I would like to participate. Setting up multiple matches over several days is hassle depending on the person

edit: Chun Li gets an AB ex hazanshu? But I'm already so bad playing against her. D=

I'm in too

Jlai, I played your Gen briefly, pretty scary...I was kinda stuck on what to do, especially watching xian performance at evo.... Gen is so confusing to read.

jlai

I still remember your epic GF with RB on the Xbox side of that tourney I threw. It was Sim vs Adon I think. Honestly I was really rooting for you to take it all. Too bad you fell short though.

But yeah, I'll let that post sit for a while and see how much interest it gets(maybe I'll have to go to the FGC thread as well) and ideas on what kind of format we should use.

Haha yeah it was my Sim against his Adon. And he wasn't even playing for himself, the copy was gonna go to vex! In any case like I said I'm down to sponsor a copy for a winner, probably won't participate.

I'm in too

Jlai, I played your Gen briefly, pretty scary...I was kinda stuck on what to do, especially watching xian performance at evo.... Gen is so confusing to read.

I'm ready for EVO2014!

xCobalt

Thinking about it the deejay changes for a bit...i really wonder if they even looked at the request threads at all. The buff they are giving him here all situational, and don't even address the areas that make him extremely weak at all. Why are they giving him buffs for situational purposes? (his far fierce is a VERY situational anti-air, if they had set the training dummy to use a jumping attack at that distance it far fierce would get stuffed every time) He doesn't need little juggle gimmicks like this yet capcom keeps giving them to him.

Why it bugs me is because damn near every post in the request thread detailed why deejay is a weak character and what he needs to be somewhat viable. Almost all of the requests were the same, yet it seems as if it was completely ignored.

Seems like they simply pay attention to certain characters the most, and improvise on others.

Just because it wasn't shown off, doesn't mean it was ignored. Combofiend said there are waaay more changes for the characters, not just what was mentioned during the panel. Gotta have faith!

Seik

Banned
I have about 10 minutes before I have to sleep. Lemme switch games.

ProfessorBeef

Go for it!

EDIT: Dat T. Hawk! D:

EDIT2: God damn man, you're clearly a step above me. DDD:

EDIT3: EVEN WITH DAN. =_='

WELP. GG. I need more practice, definetly, but that was fun still, I need to pull off more throws and become less stress when I start losing. :D

Kioshen

Went to sleep so I didn't bother to play any game. I'll play some games today if people are around.

Leave a heads up here when you'll be on and i'll join.

@Rice-Eater

I'm in for the random tourney. I can play on PS3 or PC. I won't be able to play on 360 because I didn't renew my gold membership.

Jumping back into SF4 due to Evo hype and the Ultra announcement. Anyway, is there a quick and dirty way to get better at link combos outside of just grinding out training mode?

Pad Ryu player and I probably have over 100 hrs of SF4 time throughout the various editions but I still struggle with landing braindead bnbs consistently like clk, clp, cmp SRK :/

ScOULaris

Jumping back into SF4 due to Evo hype and the Ultra announcement. Anyway, is there a quick and dirty way to get better at link combos outside of just grinding out training mode?

Pad Ryu player and I probably have over 100 hrs of SF4 time throughout the various editions but I still struggle with landing braindead bnbs consistently like clk, clp, cmp SRK :/

I'm not sure what to suggest if you're using a pad. Plinking is the easiest way to land links more consistently, which is only possible on a stick. Ever consider investing in one?

There's actually a shortcut that lets you press downforward twice to get the SRK out, so you can DP from crouching. When doing the lights, hit downforward twice and the DP you're doing.

I'm not sure what to suggest if you're using a pad. Plinking is the easiest way to land links more consistently, which is only possible on a stick. Ever consider investing in one?

No plans to pick up a stick tbh. Been a pad player forever and I'm a pretty casual online player all in all so I don't have the desire to invest in /learn a whole new input device at this point in time.

There's actually a shortcut that lets you press downforward twice to get the SRK out, so you can DP from crouching. When doing the lights, hit downforward twice and the DP you're doing.

Thanks, forgot bout that shortcut but my issue is typically linking from clp - cmp as opposed to canceling the cmp x SRK.

Just curious if there was anything I should be doing outside of practice mode grinding.

Kioshen

Just curious if there was anything I should be doing outside of practice mode grinding.

Being good at linking pretty much boils down to grinding it out and adjusting the timing based on the feedback the engine gives you. You could map LP on another button to set up a near universal plinking button. By practicing plinking you add 1 frame of window to a combo which on 1 frame links double your chances of landing it. Desk made a great video/article for a training regimen on being better at plinking.

OceanBlue

I think you can plink on pad. At the very least, I know a few pad Marvel 3 players who plink dash, so I'd imagine that it's possible. It's probably a lot harder than on stick though.

Thanks, forgot bout that shortcut but my issue is typically linking from clp - cmp as opposed to canceling the cmp x SRK.

If you're having trouble with the cr.lp cr.mp link, just try doing cr.lk cr.lp shoryuken. The link is 1 frame easier (3 frame link instead of 2), so maybe it's better to start with. The damage difference isn't a big deal if you're just starting out.
Edit: Or, you can do cr.lp cr.lp shoryuken. If you time your cr.lp correctly, you have a chance of linking the second cr.lp which lets you cancel it into shoryuken. If not, cr.lp shoryuken is still a 3 frame link.

Links are all about figuring out the timing and grinding it out. I've been playing for much longer than 100 hours and I still need to practice links I'm not familiar with. You need to feel out the timing first. Figure out if you're pressing the button too fast or too slow (if it's too fast, it won't come out and if it's too slow, it won't link), and make small adjustments until you have the timing right. Then you have to do it until it feels comfortable. It took me a long time to figure out when I was first doing it because you have to build the muscle memory for it. Once you learn one or two, links become a lot easier in general.

cHaotix8

Lol, If Cammy TKDK's again and they are as good frame advantage/hitbox-wise, then she has just become the best character in the game. It doesn't matter how much they nerfed her damage, her pressure now is going to be way too strong. I can't see that change sticking.

bout to hop on some pc toooooo.

cHaotix8

Double post I know but, had a good time at EVO this year. Got top 64 in AE; not as good as I would have liked but still okay I guess.

Wish I could have gotten to play AZ Greg and BV though. That time Greg texted me I was at the blackjack tables getting my drink on and I don't think I responded coherently, haha. This was definitely the best EVO to date though, we need more GAF representation next year!

I think you can plink on pad. At the very least, I know a few pad Marvel 3 players who plink dash, so I'd imagine that it's possible. It's probably a lot harder than on stick though.

If you're having trouble with the cr.lp cr.mp link, just try doing cr.lk cr.lp shoryuken. The link is 1 frame easier (3 frame link instead of 2), so maybe it's better to start with. The damage difference isn't a big deal if you're just starting out.
Edit: Or, you can do cr.lp cr.lp shoryuken. If you time your cr.lp correctly, you have a chance of linking the second cr.lp which lets you cancel it into shoryuken. If not, cr.lp shoryuken is still a 3 frame link.

Links are all about figuring out the timing and grinding it out. I've been playing for much longer than 100 hours and I still need to practice links I'm not familiar with. You need to feel out the timing first. Figure out if you're pressing the button too fast or too slow (if it's too fast, it won't come out and if it's too slow, it won't link), and make small adjustments until you have the timing right. Then you have to do it until it feels comfortable. It took me a long time to figure out when I was first doing it because you have to build the muscle memory for it. Once you learn one or two, links become a lot easier in general.

Thanks! This is great stuff, much appreciated.

Double post I know but, had a good time at EVO this year. Got top 64 in AE; not as good as I would have liked but still okay I guess.

Wish I could have gotten to play AZ Greg and BV though. That time Greg texted me I was at the blackjack tables getting my drink on and I don't think I responded coherently, haha. This was definitely the best EVO to date though, we need more GAF representation next year!

We figured that's what happened. We had Rentahamster and some of his Hawaii boys in the room as well getting some casuals in. Hopefully next year.

Oh yeah, I got your casuals against Sako's Evil Ryu on camera. ^_^

Kioshen

Thanks guys for letting me try my day -1 Ken in the lobby. Had some weird troubles with my joystick at the start but it seemed to have gone away after a couple of matches. It wouldn't register left or right sometimes. Something must have blocked the lasers or something.

Once you get past the flowchart, Ken is a pretty fun character. I'll start reading up on him now.

@BlackVegeta

Do you have Ken jp matches on your channel by any chance ? Like playerjun, levistrauss and others ...

Thanks guys for letting me try my day -1 Ken in the lobby. Had some weird troubles with my joystick at the start but it seemed to have gone away after a couple of matches. It wouldn't register left or right sometimes. Something must have blocked the lasers or something.

Once you get past the flowchart, Ken is a pretty fun character. I'll start reading up on him now.

@BlackVegeta

Do you have Ken jp matches on your channel by any chance ? Like playerjun, levistrauss and others ...

Yeah, they're all there. You just have to search for them.

Onemic

@BlackVegeta

Damn, that was your day 1 Ken?

*goes into the corner to cry*

Top Bottom