• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
everyone needs to realize Jared is the brains behind the stream. i jsut show up with my computer and smoke menthol lights all day.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
YVGaO.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Relix said:
Why would I want the MLG assholes/elitists in my favorite community? Really? Why would anyone want that steaming pile of shit over them?

Which MLG elitests? The entire Street Fighter Community as it is now would stand and there would just be another Major event every few months or so. Live stream, prizes, all the great members of the community, new members. Everyone is afraid that this will fuck up, but MLG wants to make sure they absolutely don't fuck it up and I honestly don't think that the guys in control would let MLG fuck it up either. I'm extremely disappointed that that petition that got passed around months only got 1/4 of the total votes needed. I thought for sure it was going to pass.

"Why would I want the MLG assholes/elitists in my favorite community? Really? Why would anyone want that steaming pile of shit over them?"

It's hard to read that entire post seriously.

What seb said hit the nail on the head perfectly. All these great streams we see and tournies we see held are straight from the communities pocket. All these people like FADC, Spooky, Level Up, and iPlaywinner dont get a dime for doing all this great stuff for us. They take time out of their days and money out of their pockets to do these streams for little to no return. They all still have full time jobs to support themselves and do this out of the passion they have for this game and community.

So why not let MLG hold these events for SSF4? They would have as good or better streams that what we see and the players will be getting bigger payouts and some of these people doing the streams will get money out of helping MLG set up the tournies and hopefully commentate them like when they hired seb to commentate Tekken 6 for them.

And to the people like
Relix said:
Why would I want the MLG assholes/elitists in my favorite community? Really? Why would anyone want that steaming pile of shit over them?
that say all of the MLG community are elitist pricks, how the fuck do you know? Ive been part of the MLG and SF community for more than 5 years. I know how both communities are. Both communities have their fair share of elitist pricks but that doesnt mean the rest 95 percent of the community is. When you say things like that YOU just sound like an elitist prick and your generalizing a whole community of tens of thousands of people. Thats just pure stupidity.

Tain

elitist this, elitist that

Elitism, at least in the way I tend to hear it, is usually a good thing, but rejecting professional quality streams isn't elitism.

What's the argument against the MLG stuff, exactly?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Don't listen to him Haunts. He's tired, sleepy, horny, etc. We both know who he loves more than anybody. :D

Oh, so now you're pimping me to Fubar?! Fubar is a good boy. He can't handle me. :lol

Oh damn, Kadey putting her foot down.

Sorry guys.

That's mah baby.

"What's the argument against the MLG stuff, exactly?"

I'm not even sure myself. I think a lot of people are just parroting an attitude they've heard elsewhere because that's the cool thing to do?

Tain said:

Elitism, at least in the way I tend to hear it, is usually a good thing, but rejecting professional quality streams isn't elitism.

According to the people against it they say it will OBLITERATE

0.jpg

the community.

Oh and to the people that say that they wont be able to play in other tournies well thats wrong. Thats only for halo. For tekken 6 and ssbm they dont make you sign a contract.

Tashi

Tain said:

Well there are some people who are anti MLG because MLG never paid up to winners of some Evo tournament a few years ago. I don't know all of the details.

There's also the argument that the Fighting community is all about the love of the games and that with the introduction of MLG in the mix, it would ruin the community.

I don't know about the whole EVO situation so I can't speak to that.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The SF community can sometimes be really stupid.

'Nuff said.

Besides, it's not like Evo hasn't screwed up other communities (Smash being the biggest example)

wonkafest

Honestly I think the reason Capcom passed MLG this season is because they looked at what MLG did with the FGC in the past and how they approached Halo. Which was basically buy out the top talent and use that to leverage the competitive community into MLG. Capcom I believe has no interest in MLG being the only major place in the US to play competitive SSF4, much like how Halo is. If you want to take Sundance's word that he has no interest in doing any of that, that's fine but I doubt he showed Capcom anything that sayed otherwise. The whole story about Capcom Japan reading about the fake tournament through bablefish and killing the deal is a bit far fetched, but who knows.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Well, being a person that doesn't know dick about MLG, it's good to finally read something about why MLG getting involved might be a good thing. Sounds good to me.

Now I just need to read an arguement from the other side that doesn't smell of conjecture and rebelling against a corporation just for the sake of rebelling.

Pandaman said:
better get this one in quick then:

, is there something special about makoto and juris instant air dive kicks?

i do 2149K as if i was using cammy and nothing comes out for makoto and it works maybe one in 20 times with juri. very weird. :\

Can't speak for Juri, but I know with Makoto that it's better to do 9214 because tsurugi has a minimum height requirement that makes tking it pretty hard. Canon strike doesn't have a height requirement.

Sounds like the work of the same Illuminati that orchestrated the Double KO between Justin and Daigo. They have poisoned the well for their own purpose for which we are not privy to.

May Lord Bison save us all.

marathonfool said:
Sounds like the work of the same Illuminati that orchestrated the Double KO between Justin and Daigo. They have poisoned the well for their own purpose for which we are not privy to.

May Lord Bison save us all.
Gill did it

XenoRaven

There are literally only two or three exceptions I can think of where I played against an MLG player in Halo 2, 3, and now Reach, who actually had a strategy other than get a mid/long range headshot weapon and shoot someone in the head until they die. They're nearly all carbon copies of each other and it's annoying. Then they run over and teabag you because they think they're awesome because they spent all their time learning how to no-scope you in the head with the Sniper Rifle. I'm almost never for making blanket statements about a group of people as large as MLG, and I'm not necessarily trying to here. But I definitely see how big of an influence MLG had on Halo games, and what ended up happening as a result. I'm not saying MLG getting involved with SSFIV is a bad or a good thing. The potential for good certainly exists. But the potential for an influx of brand new carbon copy flowcharts crying for Ryu/Sagat buffs also exists. I can at least see why people are apprehensive.

Alucrid

Banned
SnowWolf said:
http://imgur.com/YVGaO.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Are those the models from the stream? :lol

[QUOTE=Heavy's Sandvich]Would it be too ridiculous to ask everyone to sign up to srk.com with new accounts just to annoy them?

Being 2010 members, we could pretend like we know it all etc.

Or is that too much work?[/QUOTE]

Far too much effort for something I'm indifferent about. Although I will say that I think MLG is a joke.

biosnake20 said:
What seb said hit the nail on the head perfectly. All these great streams we see and tournies we see held are straight from the communities pocket. All these people like FADC, Spooky, Level Up, and iPlaywinner dont get a dime for doing all this great stuff for us. They take time out of their days and money out of their pockets to do these streams for little to no return. They all still have full time jobs to support themselves and do this out of the passion they have for this game and community.

So why not let MLG hold these events for SSF4? They would have as good or better streams that what we see and the players will be getting bigger payouts and some of these people doing the streams will get money out of helping MLG set up the tournies and hopefully commentate them like when they hired seb to commentate Tekken 6 for them.

And to the people like
that say all of the MLG community are elitist pricks, how the fuck do you know? Ive been part of the MLG and SF community for more than 5 years. I know how both communities are. Both communities have their fair share of elitist pricks but that doesnt mean the rest 95 percent of the community is. When you say things like that YOU just sound like an elitist prick and your generalizing a whole community of tens of thousands of people. Thats just pure stupidity.

Point 1. The Stream. The stream would not be better have you ever seen a mlg stream? its bland as hell, and i mean uncooked dry rice bland unless its halo their premier game.

Point 2. The payouts. They have had issues in the past when it came to paying for the fighting game tournament winners. It it were once or twice it was fine but its been a few times.

Point 3 The Elitism. They pretty much change all the rules to their liking because they are the ones putting down the money the vocal majority gets priority when it comes to things like rules...which if you let it go unchecked results in things like seth and gouken getting banned because "wahh i cant fight them they are overpowered" and the like. the vocal majority often includes players who dont even play and are just talking out their asses/dont go to events.

"There are literally only two or three exceptions I can think of where I played against an MLG player in Halo 2, 3, and now Reach, who actually had a strategy other than get a mid/long range headshot weapon and shoot someone in the head until they die."

This is more because Halo is a shitty FPS, though.

Lost Fragment said:
Well, being a person that doesn't know dick about MLG, it's good to finally read something about why MLG getting involved might be a good thing. Sounds good to me.

Now I just need to read an arguement from the other side that doesn't smell of conjecture and rebelling against a corporation just for the sake of rebelling.

Can't speak for Juri, but I know with Makoto that it's better to do 9214 because tsurugi has a minimum height requirement that makes tking it pretty hard. Canon strike doesn't have a height requirement.

Juri's dive also has a minimum height requirement. its not low enough to be a tkdive but she can somewhat cali-dive.

ACE 1991

AkumaHokoru said:
Point 1. The Stream. The stream would not be better have you ever seen a mlg stream? its bland as hell, and i mean uncooked dry rice bland unless its halo their premier game.

Point 2. The payouts. They have had issues in the past when it came to paying for the fighting game tournament winners. It it were once or twice it was fine but its been a few times.

Point 3 The Elitism. They pretty much change all the rules to their liking because they are the ones putting down the money the vocal majority gets priority when it comes to things like rules...which if you let it go unchecked results in things like seth and gouken getting banned because "wahh i cant fight them they are overpowered" and the like. the vocal majority often includes players who dont even play and are just talking out their asses/dont go to events.
I thought about this as well, the MLG streams really aren't that great. Back when I followed MLG Halo 3, I remember finding the streams a little boring and the commentary uninteresting. At least the Ustreams have chat.

Whoopsadaisy, that's my bad ACE, this is why I don't press those damn buttons.

"I thought about this as well, the MLG streams really aren't that great. Back when I followed MLG Halo 3, I remember finding the streams a little boring and the commentary uninteresting. At least the Ustreams have chat."

As I was going to say in my own post, that's because Halo is boring and most FPS commentators are boring as fuck. Exceptions being James and Joe at ESL and maybe DJ Wheat and Slasher.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ACE 1991 said:
Yup. Most of them are total bros, abusing the hell out of the word "dirty" to describe "totally nasty plays."

You mean like "godlike" and so forth on FG streams? It goes both ways. Both communities are probably more alike than they want to admit. Same with any community.

Relix said:

Someones acting as if there aren't assholes and elitists already in the community.

Tashi

Teknopathetic said:
"There are literally only two or three exceptions I can think of where I played against an MLG player in Halo 2, 3, and now Reach, who actually had a strategy other than get a mid/long range headshot weapon and shoot someone in the head until they die."

This is more because Halo is a shitty FPS, though.

I don't want to bring Halo into this thread but I have to say something. MLG settings for Halo games follow a specific set of rules, gametypes, maps and settings. They are tested and iterated upon by members of the community and gamers who work for MLG. Several of the maps are actually created by the community, for Halo 3. The MLG settings are very different from the default Bungie settings. They are catered around 4 vs 4 matches. They offer a mix of Slayer/Deathmatch gametypes and Objective gametypes. The weapon set is minimized to make the games more about strategy and teamwork.

I happen to really enjoy Halo, and the settings MLG has created. I think they're better than the default settings and appeal to the type of player I am. I also think the stream is highly entertaining to watch. There are many Halo players who share the same opinion.

Ace said:
Yup. Most of them are total bros, abusing the hell out of the word "dirty" to describe "totally nasty plays."

Just like "Salty"

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I don't think it's fair to say that...

MLG Halo =/= MLG SF

edit: Terrible typo in the wrong place. Sorry.

haunts said:
i play xbox live all day and eat cheetos while i watch the stream. this is my opinion check it out.
Darnit, now I want some Cheetos.

EDIT:
Sometimes I say to a friend on IM, "Sick and disgusting" when describing a bunch of combos and resets in a match that result in most of the life gone, usually when Akuma is on the screen putting the work in.

XenoRaven

Tashi0106 said:
I don't want to bring Halo into this thread but I have to say something. MLG settings for Halo games follow a specific set of rules, gametypes, maps and settings. They are tested and iterated upon by members of the community and gamers who work for MLG. Several of the maps are actually created by the community, for Halo 3. The MLG settings are very different from the default Bungie settings. They are catered around 4 vs 4 matches. They offer a mix of Slayer/Deathmatch gametypes and Objective gametypes. The weapon set is minimized to make the games more about strategy and teamwork.

I happen to really enjoy Halo, and the settings MLG has created. I think they're better than the default settings and appeal to the type of player I am. I also think the stream is highly entertaining to watch. There are many Halo players who share the same opinion.

Just like "Salty"

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I don't think it's fair to say that...

MLG Halo =/= MLG SF
And I think MLG settings move away from what makes Halo fun and unique. But I definitely agree with the bolded part, which is why I am undecided. Not that my opinion matters anyway. I'm just a regular scrub.

EDIT: Fixed in the quote. I didn't even notice. >_>

AkumaHokoru said:

1. Yes ive watched dozens of their streams. They are great for halo because they have commentators who know what theyre talking about. The others are boring cause the commentators usually dont know squat about those games. I actually watched the tekken stream when seb was on it and is was quite the opposite of bland. The streams would be great because they would hire commentators like seb to commentate it just like they hired him for Tekken 6. Also when they stream the quality is quite good , and even if you want the hd stream you can pay a fee for that.

2. From what ive heard the only problem theyve had with the payouts was at evo 05. Now obviously thats a problem but you cant not trust a company for fucking up once. Every company fucks up from time to time. And to all those people that say they didnt get payed(the small amount of you there probably are) if you have any type of proof that you should of got payed well show that to MLG and they will pay you. Thats what sundance said atleast.

3. The rules of any game that are on the circuit usually are decided 50/50. Decided by the community feedback and by the players and MLG gametesters. And yes banning gouken and seth was dumb but that was back when they werent working with people like seb and gootecks and they would never let something dumb like that happen again. So yeah that was dumb back then but they obviously have learned from their mistakes. Also the vocal majority usually doesnt get what they want. For example in Halo 3 the vocal majority wants alot of foundry and sandbox forged maps and they want maps like guardian and narrows taken out. Did they get that? No, they listened to the gametype testers and the pro players and made the gametypes the most balanced and best they could. But the community also got some things they wanted like getting guardian ball back and taking out things like lockdown ball.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Holy Order Sol said:
No it doesn't. Salty and godlike are superior words, plus Halo doesn't have Chris Hu.

Superior words? Okay... also, I'm sure the Halo community has their own Chris Hu, Marn and so on. Sadly, I have to mute the audio when Hu is on. Dude yells into the mic way too damned much. That black dude (something B?) who was on the SNCR stream on day one was very good though. He saved that stream's commentary that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom