• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR update removes "self harm" - "Considering sensitive time we’re living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better."

We at [brand] would like to point out all the most hateful responses that disagree with our decision, and associate those people directly with everyone who disagrees with us. We would also like to use those people as an excuse to silence and insult everyone else who disagrees with us, sanctimoniously and patronizingly suggesting that they "do better."

How about instead something like: "The recent increase in suicides has caused us to reflect on our work, and the feelings that might be brought up when asking the player to kill themselves in a virtual world. We don't want people playing our game to have to be traumatically reminded of losing a friend or loved one, so we're removing a brief section of gameplay. To help make up for that fact, we'll be adding a new level to the game free of charge.

We're not saying saying that we're doing the "right" thing by removing the content, and that we'd be "wrong" if we left it in. For anyone who disagrees with our decision, we realize where you're coming from. This is a very subjective matter. We respect and understand those who don't agree with the choice that we've made, and we hope others will extend that same understanding to us in return. At the end of the day, we just don't want to be selling a product that isn't what we want it to be."

Would that in any way be worse PR? Because instead all I ever seem to see is "if you disagree don't buy the game" and "it's not okay!" and "do better!" and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with how obvious it seems to be to avoid stepping in this mess and insulting your customers.

MiguelItUp

People that are that easily offended probably shouldn't be playing anything rated higher than E. It's sad to see developers change their art just to appease SOME radical voices.

The sad part in that thread is that some people were clearly not happy about it. But rather than being cordial about it, they went off then deep end. So then you had OTHER radicals coming out of the woodwork spewing their own nonsense that didn't even matter. It never should've gotten that bad.

I really wish radicals of all forms would just stay out of the things I love.

CitizenZ

Banned
I am always confused by artist who throughout history defied laws and would always stand for freedom of expression no matter what and in some cases, ending their lives. Today, they still all cry more than ever, but NOW they walk step in line with their masters who tell them what to do.

Fbh

A bit disappointed that Steam removed the reviews.
They aren't off topic reviews. The devs are literally removing content from the game, the CEO himself is saying they are basically removing the story. It's not off topic
How does this affect consumers? Lame I had to say consumers like.

I mean more in the fact that I've bought a product and now stuff is being revoked. Guess it's covered in an EULA somewhere?

I'd guess it has to do with users being able to choose to not update and not loose the content.
Though it's still not quite the same as I think if you uninstall it you can't download an earlier version.

In the future, IMO anyone who bought the game and wants to re-download the OG version is 100% justified to just pirate it.

Why would anyone have confidence to buy another product from this dev? There is no guarantee they won't remove content. Seems to me like a dumb, short-sighted move.

Yep.
I enjoyed superhot but I don't see myself buying another game from these guys unless it's on a very steep sale (or free on the epic store or something like that).
Who knows, maybe tomorrow the CEO will wake up with a troubled conscience about selling a game involving shooting people so now they'll remove all that you and throw plastic balls at flying squares!.

Last edited:
Superhot is easily one of my top 5 favorite VR games. Regardless of this decision, I'll happily buy games from this developer all day long. What a dumb thing for everyone to get worked up over. The gameplay, which, surprise, happens to be the best part of the experience, is still there untarnished.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The comments by the developer are, in keeping with the way that so many people involved in the production of video games seem to at the moment, megalomaniacal, self-aggrandizing, halfwitted nonsense.

Who the fuck do these people think they are? Do they really think they are that important to the world? They seem to genuinely believe they are the architects of a new reality, and in their hands - and theirs alone - they wield dominion over life and death, and the choices they make when developing their toys hold sway over the hearts, the minds, and the very LIVES of their audience. The levels of delusional arrogance are just off the charts. They LITERALLY believe that they are murdering innocent people if they don't 'do better'. It's fucking insane. Maybe it's a generational thing, where legions of mentally feeble losers have been conditioned to believe that they are in a starring role in their own private movie, and with great power comes great responsibility.

The reality is that if some idiot plays Superhot VR, shoots themselves in the head, and then goes 'Hmm, that felt good. I like that idea.' and then shoots themselves for realsies - they were brainfucked in the first place. I thought we all worked out during the satanic panic, during Doom, and during Columbine, that that if your loser kids do something stupid, you might want to stop looking at the media they consume and start looking at their parents, their schools, and their peer group, who are likely as fucked up as they are.

Nah. I'm probably wrong, and the Superhot guy just wields world-spanning powers that I can't comprehend with my peasant brain.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The irony is lost on us sheeple. It's so 4th wall breaking and meta. They removed those scenes from the game because they're holding the gun to their OWN head and pulling the trigger on their success. THEY'RE PROVING THEIR COMMITMENT.

GOAT OF ALL TIME RIP IN PEACE SWEET HONEYDEW PROFITS

dtremblay

The only thing that matters here is to make a stand against virtue signalling, nothing more.

Slippery slope infusing and conflating reality with escapism. While art imitates life imitates art….this is not it. It’s a restraining of art for no genuine reason, and art should have no limitations.
Holy hell take some deep breaths. It’s a commercial product, not just art, that doesn’t exist in a vacuum, but in a world and society where people hopefully feel a responsibility to not harm those that are vulnerable.

There are a million tragedies in the world — This is not one of them.

Shmunter

Holy hell take some deep breaths. It’s a commercial product, not just art, that doesn’t exist in a vacuum, but in a world and society where people hopefully feel a responsibility to not harm those that are vulnerable.

There are a million tragedies in the world — This is not one of them.
Denied

Fare thee well

Neophyte
You guys ever hear of the mouse utopia experiments? You ever feel like we are living in the beginning of a human equivalent of those? Especially the one where the mice get everything they need except it's just crowded af and they all start to go looney tunes on each other?

I think it's happening man 😄

Nezzeroth

Having the toggle was definitely the right way. Forcing everyone to play without it, after they already bought the game, is stupid as hell and they deserve the negative reviews. They essentially removed content from their own game.

McCheese

You guys ever hear of the mouse utopia experiments? You ever feel like we are living in the beginning of a human equivalent of those? Especially the one where the mice get everything they need except it's just crowded af and they all start to go looney tunes on each other?

I think it's happening man 😄

Haha, maybe we're living in universe 25 in some alien race's experiment.

This event is so fascinating, it's the only time i can think of that a developer has taken something out of a game for what appears to be no good reason, across the board people seem to agree that they should not have cut content, and that the previous setting to toggle the content on/off was enough. But the developer has really doubled-down saying they are not going to cave in, and are committed to still updating all versions of the game to remove this content.

At this point I guess the spoilers no longer even apply, but the ending of the game was you realising you were trapped in a simulation and to "win" you had to kill yourself to escape, plus they removed a leap of faith moment too where you fell to your death (surprise surprise, the game is pretty much a rip on The Matrix). So we're not just talking GTA removing some songs from the soundtrack, but full on erasing the games original identity and what little story it had.

But the reason I'm following it closely is, what the fuck are the implications? so far they've been able to get all the negative reviews on Steam flagged as "off topic" so they don't count towards the score (which nose dived before they removed the reviews) and no talk of refunds, folks are literally just being left with less of a game they purchased 5 years ago. Steam doesn't have a mechanism to download older versions of a game, and on most platforms it's very hard if not impossible to "never update" something.

Imagine a scenario where some developer drama queen gets angry and updates a game to remove everything but a single "fuck you" level, what I'm learning from this is that as a consumer there is probably nothing you can actually do about it if you buy digtal, and none of the digital storefronts have pre-empted or planned for how to deal with such a scenario either.

Last edited:
Superhot is easily one of my top 5 favorite VR games. Regardless of this decision, I'll happily buy games from this developer all day long. What a dumb thing for everyone to get worked up over. The gameplay, which, surprise, happens to be the best part of the experience, is still there untarnished.
I mean, if you treat games as a series of gameplay segments stacked on eachother I guess it's fine, but this is cutting out a central part of the story. What was wrong with just having the toggle?

Finally, another sensible normal person in this thread.

I don't think the developers are gonna care that twelve nutters don't buy their games anymore.

Samrf89

What an awful post. Why should he call himself that because he isn't bothered that a scene is removed from a game?

I'm know I'm assuming a lot from just that one post but, wow, you sound like an arsehole.
He thinks this is a dumb thing to get worked up over (I disagree), I think he's a cunt.

You're not really assuming a lot, just that I'm an asshole. Which isn't an unreasonable thing to assume. And by your reply, I'm assuming you're lame.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Ah yes, how dare people be offended that a core part of the game's story telling is altered and irreparably damages the overall product. I question if you have ever actually played the damned thing and aren't sitting on your high horse out of habit.

What an awful post. Why should he call himself that because he isn't bothered that a scene is removed from a game?

I'm know I'm assuming a lot from just that one post but, wow, you sound like an arsehole.

Take your fake sanctimonious shit elsewhere, mate.

Ah yes, how dare people be offended that a core part of the game's story telling is altered and irreparably damages the overall product. I question if you have ever actually played the damned thing and aren't sitting on your high horse out of habit.

Take your fake sanctimonious shit elsewhere, mate.
Sanctimonious because I called a guy out for calling someone a cunt for barely any reason?

I'm not your mate.

And a massive lol at your argument about the overall product being damaged. Get over it. It's Superhot not a flipping masterpiece of storytelling.

Samrf89

Lol dude just accept you and your censorship-loving friend are completely outnumbered here and everywhere regarding this.

Javthusiast

Banned
Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

Skyfox

I bought the game day one and stopped playing at the suicide prompt. I didn't even know they added a toggle.

I never complained about this but the truth is Ill be playing the game again now.

Same with the Wolfenstein game that said you had to select a member of your own team to be executed to proceed. I left the game for an hour to see if it had another option then removed it from my collection (physical copy).

I've no interest in censorship. If a game is not for me I won't play it. If it is to my tastes I will.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks like Steam has pruned the negative reviews from affecting the rating but, even though I'm not one to change my rating of the game based on this, surely it's fair game as this isn't a company stance on a different issue or a different game of theirs causing the review bomb in this case.

Last edited:

“Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.”​

― Mark Twain

One of the biggest religions in the world is basically God limiting his powers and provoking the authorities to kill him, essentially committing suicide by another's hand.

You think if there's a shoot out and I jump in the middle that is not suicide by others hands?

Humans sure love death, they apply it to countless innocent animals, innocent children, and innocent men. United they try and kill those they dislike, like a mob they gather to hang or toss of rooftops or burn those of opposing belief, of opposing sexual orientation, of opposing views.

Stitch

Gold Member
On Steam it was possible to choose several beta branches of the game. They were pretty much complete, but had a different controller layout for vive for example. They also still had the "sensitive content". Well now all beta branches were removed.

Top Bottom