• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Greg said:
Wasn't sure where to post it...

Just got my new issue of PSM in the mail - DMC4 is on the cover, and there is a 16-page feature inside.

You know what do you son. Start typing and become a beloved member

ElyrionX

Greg said:

Just got my new issue of PSM in the mail - DMC4 is on the cover, and there is a 16-page feature inside.

So what does it say? Does it reveal anything new about the gameplay?

luffeN

gamefront has it covered, ill translate, maybe i am faster, edit in a min.

general: graphics in constant 60 fps. in Fortuna cars and vans everywhere. cut scenes (done by Yuji Shimomura) and story to get more importance/attention. characters are more expressive/punchy. game camera to act more like a movie camera.

characters: nero's devil bringer easy to use and natural. dante plays completely different than nero. he has his 4 styles back: Swordsmaster, Gunslinger, Royal Guard and Trickster. the core animations look like the ones in DMC 3 but are more refined and improved. dante and nero play the main part in the game and will also do in future DMC titles.

enemies: when fighting against Variel the environment is nearly completely destructible. the Frosts are tough enemies who also fight in groups, can suddenly disappear and reemerge.

edit if gamefront did miss something, pls complete them with your knowledge greg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Greg said:

Summary and you will be seen as the king of Juniors.

Greg

Here's a start - I'm terrible with my scanner, but it's something until I skim through the article quickly.
scan0002kc1.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
Greg said:
Here's a start - I'm terrible with my scanner, but it's something until I skim through the article quickly.
scan0002kc1.jpg

Dont scan unless you wanna get banned. Just post a good summary!

mckmas8808

Scanning covers is okay. I mean you can see that just walking around in the stores. :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Greg said:

Dude...don't scan english magazines--you will get banned--. Just type up a summary!

Greg

Starts off just talking about the difficulties from going into the HD-era...and rambles on about that for another page, and that's about when the preview ends and a 7-page interview with Hiroyuki Kobayashi starts. (Much of the interview is just general talk about next-gen games/Kobayashi's thoughts on next-gen) Not sure what's new as I haven't been following the game that closely, but:

- Dante is playable, and he isn't a clone of Nero either. They have brought DMC3's Dante directly into the game, with all of his fighting styles. The core animations are the same, but they have been updated to 'fulfill what users expect from next-generation animations'

-They have no interest in making a Virgil spin-off game - they want to continue to grow Dante as a character, while introducing Nero as a new character. Despite the fan's love for the character, they want to continue forward with Nero/Dante as the leads of the series.

-When asked about the development cost, he said that they are 'making it to the point where we don't exceed the break point of what we can handle as a budget and still have the game be profitable.' He said the game is not twice as expensive as DMC1.

-They initially looked at the types of middleware available, but they realized they couldn't do some of the things that they wanted to do. He said that most devs say, "We have this engine, we have this middleware. What can we make with it?" However, Capcom's development starts with, "We have this game, what do we need to make it?"

-All of the cutscenes will be done by Yuji Shimomura.

-The snow level that was in the E3 2005 trailer is in the game

-The battles are going to have more meaning to them. Before, enemies would show up and say something that made you want to kill them them and Dante would say something back to look cool. Now you will see a cutscene and know why you are fighting the battle.

-More emphasis on the flow/progression of the story due to the appearance of Nero and his relationships with other people in the game. "conflict/drama opportunities"

-When asked if Clover's departure from Capcom affected the game, and he said that the people who left are ones that wanted to move on to different projects. The people that are working on DMC4 are the ones that really want to make DMC4.

-Johnny Young Bosch (the Power Ranger, Adam Park) is providing the motion-capture and and voice for Nero.

-Uses the Dead Rising graphics engine

-Fire/demon boss seen in the trailers is named Berial

There's a list of different moves that Nero has:

Charge Shot
- Hold square to charge, then release to fire
"As well as shooting bullets in rapid succession, you can charge up your gun for a slower, but more powerful shot."

Exceed - Pull L2 to charge the EX-guage
"Revving your EX-guage like a motorcycle handle, you can build up to three levels of extra power for your moves."

Streak - While holding R1, press the left stick towards the enemy + triangle
"Streak is a powerful forward strike"

High Roller
- While holding R1, press the left stick away from the enemy + triangle
Air juggle

Hell Bound - Face the Grim Grip and press R1+Circle
"Think of this as a a grappling hook-like move that you can use to reach far away platforms - but only if there is a globe to catch.

Buster - Press circle near an enemy
"This attack can be performed after you catch an enemy. Best used at the end of a combo, since it doesn't work well with juggleing.

Snatch
- While facing an enemy, press R1+circle
Used to grab enemies in the air or on the ground

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Greg said:
Exceed - Pull L2 to charge the EX-guage
"Revving your EX-guage like a motorcycle handle, you can build up to three levels of extra power for your moves."

Awesome. Seems like they integrated the DT explosion within the move set itself.

Buster - Press circle near an enemy
"This attack can be performed after you catch an enemy. Best used at the end of a combo, since it doesn't work well with juggleing.

Sweet. DMC needed more finishing moves.

Snatch
- While facing an enemy, press R1+circle
Used to grab enemies in the air or on the ground

I need to be more mature, but still. :lol

edit: NOOOOOOOO. Damn you Capcom! I liked Vergil ;_;

ezekial45

Banned
Greg said:
- Dante is playable, and he isn't a clone of Nero either. They have brought DMC3's Dante directly into the game, with all of his fighting styles. The core animations are the same, but they have been updated to 'fulfill what users expect from next-generation animations'

That sounds a little disappointing. As great DMC3 Dante was, i'm disappointed that they probably won't expand upon him, gameplay wise.

Greg

Ok, that's about all I got from the short preview and the long interview. Just a lot of talk about next gen games in general, the importance of animations,/framerate, and a few questions on Hirouki Kobayashi's career background - not that much information directly tied to DMC4.

Yama

Is this issue available in stores yet? Want to buy and read the article fully, plus keeep that awesome cover. :)

So wait, we're getting DMC3 Dante (awesome!) when it comes to styles, but is there any word on whether he'll be using new weapons? Because that'll make Swordmaster and Gunslinger play totally differently, at the very least.

edit: also i'm still praying for Vergil to SOMEHOW be playable even if he isn't a major element of the story

Greg

Yama said:
Is this issue available in stores yet? Want to buy and read the article fully, plus keeep that awesome cover. :)
I'm guessing I got my issue early in the mail seeing as how no one else has their issue yet - I'd say another week or two.

karasu

I do not like what I am reading!!!!

ezekial45 said:
That sounds a little disappointing. As great DMC3 Dante was, i'm disappointed that they probably won't expand upon him, gameplay wise.

It seems Nero is the main character, so any new developmental attributes were probably given to him. Dante, being a supplemental character, they probably felt because of that it wasn't worth it to create new animations and attacks for dante, and any such ideas should be given to Nero.

Essentially I'm sure it was down to either two scenarios: give them Nero and nothing, or give them Nero and something. Nero is the highlight.

Greg

AAK said:
The mag also says FFXIII on the cover.... anything interesting inside?
I haven't even read the magazine yet - too busy when I was reading that damn interview, haha.

One minute - I'll skim through the article real quick and edit this post to let you know what I read. (Don't want to turn this into the PSM thread :lol )

EDIT: It's a two page preview with pics from FFXIII that we've already seen. The main idea from the article is that we'll be "playing a game on a home console visually superior to a hollywood movie..." (and in the context of the article, that movie they are referring to is The Spirits Within)

"In fact, we'd say it's, at worst, on par with The Spirits Within."

Oh, also if they enable us to equip two styles and switch between those in real time mid-combo like we already can with weapons, I'll pretty much be in heaven (Swordmaster + Trickster :))

AAK

badcrumble said:
Oh, also if they enable us to equip two styles and switch between those in real time mid-combo like we already can with weapons, I'll pretty much be in heaven (Swordmaster + Trickster :))

That was confirmed on the Famitsu article a couple weeks ago.

AAK said:
That was confirmed on the Famitsu article a couple weeks ago.
hehe hooray this is going to be the best game ever, still hoping Vergil can make it in somehow but of course that depends on his role in the story (if any) which at this point is kinda unclear

Greg said:
I haven't even read the magazine yet - too busy when I was reading that damn interview, haha.

One minute - I'll skim through the article real quick and edit this post to let you know what I read. (Don't want to turn this into the PSM thread :lol )

EDIT: It's a two page preview with pics from FFXIII that we've already seen. The main idea from the article is that we'll be "playing a game on a home console visually superior to a hollywood movie..." (and in the context of the article, that movie they are referring to is The Spirits Within)

Oh no you dont!!! THe game looks really damn amazing graphically...but spirits within aint no toy story...it looks incredible!

The famitsu article didn't specify if you could swap between all 4 styles or just 2. Dante has 4 in total.

No quicksilver I take it :(

Zenith said:
sounds like a copy of Onimusha's charge system.
I said the EXACT same thing... especially since I'm currently play Shin. This news does not make me happy though... grappling suggests platforming, platforming suggests DMC1 not 3 as the base. BOO, not every action game has to follow the same dang format, but "hey, we started it, we changed it, now let's go back to it!!!!" :mad: Not expanding Dante sucks too... it makes him seems like an after thought, despite what they say, which worries me to no end. Anyway, Kobayashi better not turn this into RE4 Redux, 'cause I'll chew his head off.

Yuji being back is good, but we knew this already

The fact that some of the team left with clover worries, I'd wish he'd list them or at least which parts of the team left (please not battle engine team members) rather than downplaying it, which makes me even more nervous.

It's Belial not Berial... Engrish strikes again!!

Did they say anything about how Nero level's up his moves? Obviously that's not the complete list, is it the same as the past games or is it a different dynamic?

Greg said:

Snap!

tearsofjoy.gif
spermcomingoutofeyes.gif

mckmas8808

Greg said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Bullsht. I believe it when I see it.

I hope I can see this, because it would be lovly

Greg

C- Warrior said:
The famitsu article didn't specify if you could swap between all 4 styles or just 2. Dante has 4 in total.

No quicksilver I take it :(
Well, to quote the PSM article directly, "Capcom has seen fit to bring DMC3's Dante directly into the game, complete with adjustable fighting styles such as Gun Slinger and Sword Master."

Take that as you will I guess. :lol

mckmas8808

Mefisutoferesu said:
The fact that it doesn't have 14,000,000,000xAA and skin textures under 100 gigabytes tell you that from the get go... but that's not as fun as hyperbole, eh?

Well obviously they are saying it's in the same league as the Spirts Within. But even that I can't believe either.

Ceb

Greg said:

Are those developer quotes or PSM retardation?

ezekial45

Banned
C- Warrior said:
It seems Nero is the main character, so any new developmental attributes were probably given to him. Dante, being a supplemental character, they probably felt because of that it wasn't worth it to create new animations and attacks for dante, and any such ideas should be given to Nero.

Essentially I'm sure it was down to either two scenarios: give them Nero and nothing, or give them Nero and something. Nero is the highlight.

Thats what bothers me. I think Nero is cool and all, and i think the devil arm will make for great gameplay, but they describe the DMC series being about Dante and yet they have him as a supporting character. If it wasn't worth expanding upon Dante, than were the hell is this series going?

XSamu

Banned
So the RAW version of the first episode of the Devil May Cry anime has been released. Did any of you guys watch it? Is it any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom