• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 11 |OT| No, seriously, it got awesome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
YO

JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN SPOTTED WITH THE BOYS
https://twitter.com/JDMorgan/status/764682105989181444
1098.gif

Don't tease me.

randome

His character was great. In fact, one of the reasons I don't like the show now as much as I used to is because all the cool characters are gone. JDM, Rufus, Bobby, the people at the bar, etc. Literally all the cool characters. I also wish they'd make it scary/creepy like it used to be in the first season or so.

Kevin

Looks like season 12 is only 22 episodes instead of 23 this year. CW president has gone on record yet again saying that the show is going to be going on for a long while yet. Also stating that a spinoff could happen if the studio wants to try an idea.

dalin80

Banned
Looks like season 12 is only 22 episodes instead of 23 this year. CW president has gone on record yet again saying that the show is going to be going on for a long while yet. Also stating that a spinoff could happen if the studio wants to try an idea.

They tried a spin off once... It was not good.

Joni

They seem to be standardazing season length.

Kevin

So now that a few months have passed, what do we all think of season 11?

Personally I really enjoyed the season and I feel like both seasons 10 and 11 are some of the best stuff from the show since season 5 ended. There were a few average quality episodes and the overall story arc could have been handled a little better but ultimately I found it to be rather solid stuff overall.

Season 12 sounds like it's going to be fantastic. After delving into a LOT of ComicCon interviews and such with the showrunners, writers and actors, I have discovered much of the plot for season 12 and I'm really excited for that. So glad they are moving toward Men of Letters content and I think the Mary dynamic will also add some freshness to the show.

I wasn't quite sold on them bringing Lucifer back but them casting Rick Springfield to play him and the overall Lucifer plot could be an ok B plot for Castiel and Crowley. It could work out well enough.

So what did you guys think of season 11 overall? Are you guys excited for the direction the show is heading in with season 12?

It was the best season in a long time, legitimately pretty good, which is shocking considering how many times I've wanted them to just hang it up since, I dunno, season 5?

I really liked 11. It's what 6 should have been, but I recognize that 10 had to spend a lot of time righting the ship by offing support characters and lame villains to make 11 possible.

I especially liked that they never actually beat the big bad. There was no weapon or solution presented to them in the eleventh hour; it just turned out the big bad wasn't really all that bad.

Here's looking forward to smaller stakes in 12.

I've been sort of binging this series from the start the last 6 weeks and have gotten halfway through season 7. I have to ask: Do Sam and Dean split up at some point after a fight in every season?

Phased

I've been sort of binging this series from the start the last 6 weeks and have gotten halfway through season 7. I have to ask: Do Sam and Dean split up at some point after a fight in every season?

Yeah pretty much. I feel like this latest season it didn't happen but then I remember it did. If you're watching S7 you're right in the thick of the bad stuff. Stay strong for a couple more seasons.

it's basically parody at this point, but shit like that is likely to happen when you have 22 episodes a pop, and have to fill so much damn time.

Bladenic

WHAT THE FUCK

WILL THIS SHOW EVER END

Jared and Jansen must be so bummed this show isn't on a main network. Like yeah I'm sure they're making bank at this point, but they would be making huge dough on a main 4 network in season 12.

Kevin

WHAT THE FUCK

WILL THIS SHOW EVER END

Jared and Jansen must be so bummed this show isn't on a main network. Like yeah I'm sure they're making bank at this point, but they would be making huge dough on a main 4 network in season 12.

This show would have never survived probably past season one if it was on any other network. The actors have been very happy with the show and say at every convention that they are on board for more seasons and really enjoy doing the show for the fans.

This show would have never survived probably past season one if it was on any other network. The actors have been very happy with the show and say at every convention that they are on board for more seasons and really enjoy doing the show for the fans.

You think so? Started rewatching it, and while the 1st season is a bit shaky, by the 2nd its really started hitting its stride and really gained an identity

Kevin

You think so? Started rewatching it, and while the 1st season is a bit shaky, by the 2nd its really started hitting its stride and really gained an identity

Yes they've pretty much said as much. The ratings for years are vastly lower then the numbers on other television networks and Fox, NBC, etc would not have renewed it as many times as the CW in which it has found a cult following and has thrived because of it.

The show is low budget but the writing keeps things interesting and the CW is happy with it's ratings to keep it going and honestly I'm still enjoying this show a lot and I personally am happy to see it continue.

Yes they've pretty much said as much. The ratings for years are vastly lower then the numbers on other television networks and Fox, NBC, etc would not have renewed it as many times as the CW in which it has found a cult following and has thrived because of it.

The show is low budget but the writing keeps things interesting and the CW is happy with it's ratings to keep it going and honestly I'm still enjoying this show a lot and I personally am happy to see it continue.

Hm. I wonder if being on a bigger channel would get it better ratings, though? Y'know, Bones is somehow still...alive....

...Yeah, I definitely don't mind it continuing either. It's just a great show. And it's been on for like 12 years! That's like, half my life.

Kevin

Is S7 considered the worst? Is it because of the leviathans?

While there was stuff in seasons 6 and 7 I personally liked, there was a lot of stuff that also sucked. Plots going nowhere, major character deaths, cheesy Leviathan stuff, etc. I think Season 8 the show started to stabilize some but still suffered from some of the issues that plagued season 6 and 7.

I feel like season 10 really started making the show better. There was a lot of great monster of the week episodes, some decent mythology episodes and then season 11 improved upon that.

My issues with 7 thus far (turns out I'm actually 70% through) are:

1: Dean Killing Amy Pond. They literally introduce a character from Sam's past just to kill her off. And it was in a way that sort of back peddled on some of the character development I thought I was reading. That is, I thought they were beginning to realize maybe the 'monsters' aren't all things that deserve to just die. I mean, Dean kills her because "she'll feed again, it is what she is" but then lets the kid go? With his logic wouldn't kid-kitsune eventually feed, meaning Dean allowed someone to die (assuming another hunter doesn't off the kid).

2: Due to the events in the last point the two bicker and break up... again. It's a bit of annoying trope after 7 seasons of this and makes it feel like, again, there's not much character progression going on for the two mains.

3: Head-Lucifer (or is it real Lucifer? I don't know yet) is too goofy. I liked his previous portrayal of being more prideful and overly presentable. Not something that cracks jokes to Sam, and makes juvenile expressions/body language.

4: Chronos episode's time stuff was super poorly written. Actually I shouldn't list this as a fault, because it was so bad it was hilarious.

5: I miss Castiel, and would like more Crowley.

My opinion of the leviathans is a bit mixed. At first they seem to be introduced as these hungry murderous monsters that just want to feed. Then suddenly they’re all super bureaucratic and controlled. It seemed silly to me, but then I noticed that they take on the memories and some character traits of the person they’re impersonating. And the big-bad one seemed to inherent the traits of a successful businessman, so the flip began to make more sense.

This is probably all old news to most but like I said, I’ve just starting watching 6 weeks ago and am working my way through it.

Kevin

My issues with 7 thus far (turns out I'm actually 70% through) are:

1: Dean Killing Amy Pond. They literally introduce a character from Sam's past just to kill her off. And it was in a way that sort of back peddled on some of the character development I thought I was reading. That is, I thought they were beginning to realize maybe the 'monsters' aren't all things that deserve to just die. I mean, Dean kills her because "she'll feed again, it is what she is" but then lets the kid go? With his logic wouldn't kid-kitsune eventually feed, meaning Dean allowed someone to die (assuming another hunter doesn't off the kid).

2: Due to the events in the last point the two bicker and break up... again. It's a bit of annoying trope after 7 seasons of this and makes it feel like, again, there's not much character progression going on for the two mains.

3: Head-Lucifer (or is it real Lucifer? I don't know yet) is too goofy. I liked his previous portrayal of being more prideful and overly presentable. Not something that cracks jokes to Sam, and makes juvenile expressions/body language.

4: Chronos episode's time stuff was super poorly written. Actually I shouldn't list this as a fault, because it was so bad it was hilarious.

5: I miss Castiel, and would like more Crowley.

My opinion of the leviathans is a bit mixed. At first they seem to be introduced as these hungry murderous monsters that just want to feed. Then suddenly they’re all super bureaucratic and controlled. It seemed silly to me, but then I noticed that they take on the memories and some character traits of the person they’re impersonating. And the big-bad one seemed to inherent the traits of a successful businessman, so the flip began to make more sense.

This is probably all old news to most but like I said, I’ve just starting watching 6 weeks ago and am working my way through it.

1. This does start to become addressed in a big way in future seasons which is good.
2. They do that for awhile but they start getting along more in season 10 and beyond. I think the writers finally realized that nobody liked the bickering and so they took steps to improve greatly in this area.
3. Well I don't want to spoil anything here but this doesn't really change going forward. I actually like the humor of Lucifer because it made the character come off as more twisted and evil.
4. Don't remember much of that episode.
5. You will get a LOT more Crowley and Castiel in the coming seasons.

And how about an angel sigil? You know some nut bar will color that one with their own blood.

I believe so. Someone got it early and posted a flip through on Amazon, I believe.

I think season 11 is my all time favorite now. Which is crazy as hell because it used to be five :(

Really? I didn't like it nearly as much as some of the classic seasons, but it was still solid. Needs less Rowena, Crowley, etc. And drawn out plot.

To each their own, though. It's definitely a big step in the right direction.

Media

I believe so. Someone got it early and posted a flip through on Amazon, I believe.

Really? I didn't like it nearly as much as some of the classic seasons, but it was still solid. Needs less Rowena, Crowley, etc. And drawn out plot.

To each their own, though. It's definitely a big step in the right direction.

Baby and Don't Call me Shurly propelled it to the top for me.

Kevin

Ironically it was the writer that wrote both of those episodes that has left the show now. A damn shame. :/ Robbie Thompson wrote many of the best episodes in the last few years. Even the musical and he got a different job on I believe Jessica Jones now.

Media

Ironically it was the writer that wrote both of those episodes that has left the show now. A damn shame. :/ Robbie Thompson wrote many of the best episodes in the last few years. Even the musical and he got a different job on I believe Jessica Jones now.

Noooooooooooo

Maybe season of JJ will be better than one at least.

1. This does start to become addressed in a big way in future seasons which is good.
2. They do that for awhile but they start getting along more in season 10 and beyond. I think the writers finally realized that nobody liked the bickering and so they took steps to improve greatly in this area.
3. Well I don't want to spoil anything here but this doesn't really change going forward. I actually like the humor of Lucifer because it made the character come off as more twisted and evil.
4. Don't remember much of that episode.
5. You will get a LOT more Crowley and Castiel in the coming seasons.

Cool. Glad to see several of my gripes get resolved in later seasons. I'm not sensitive to spoilers so knowing whether or not it's real Lucifer or not doesn't bug me, but I'm thinking it is actually Lucifer projecting to Sam, or he somehow installed something into his soul. Otherwise it'd seem like a pretty shallow plotline if Sam were to just therapy it out.

Looking forward to more Castiel and Crowley.

Yeah, those were two really good episodes.

Don't get me wrong, I liked this season and appreciated it after some duds in recent years, but I've just had enough of the whole Cas/Crowley/Rowena thing. I still miss the old days where it was more monster of the week.

Kevin

Don't get me wrong, I liked this season and appreciated it after some duds in recent years, but I've just had enough of the whole Cas/Crowley/Rowena thing. I still miss the old days where it was more monster of the week.

Supposily they are going a bit back to their roots with more scary monster of the week episodes in season 12. At least this is what was implied. I think the Men of Letters stuff could help incorporate this some.

Media

Huge fan of Cas and Crowley, so that explains why we disagree at least :p

Huge fan of Cas and Crowley, so that explains why we disagree at least :p

I guess so

I used to like them both, especially Cas who I liked a lot. But they've been overused and not all that well at times. Though the twist during last season with Cas saying yes was interesting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Supposily they are going a bit back to their roots with more scary monster of the week episodes in season 12. At least this is what was implied. I think the Men of Letters stuff could help incorporate this some.

The issue is it's hard to do scary monster of the week stuff now because they've seen it all. Unless they're going to face off with something crazy like Nessy or a Chupacabra I can't really see anything really creating the sort of tension we felt in the first two seasons.

The issue is it's hard to do scary monster of the week stuff now because they've seen it all. Unless they're going to face off with something crazy like Nessy or a Chupacabra I can't really see anything really creating the sort of tension we felt in the first two seasons.
They haven't, though. In the early post-Kripke seasons, they acknowledge that there are monsters not native to North America that have been appearing, and they can always retcon new monsters that were created by Eve when she wasn't onscreen. New monsters can still be scary if they don't instantly have the lore for how to beat them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They haven't, though. In the early post-Kripke seasons, they acknowledge that there are monsters not native to North America that have been appearing, and they can always retcon new monsters that were created by Eve when she wasn't onscreen. New monsters can still be scary if they don't instantly have the lore for how to beat them.

The problem is, and we've seen them do this a few times, that they can just draw on previous experiences to deal with the monster. So even if they haven't seen a monster before, it'd have to have an all-new weakness to really create that sense of tension we had in the first two seasons. The boys are just too experienced at this point for that to work.

It's like when you're a veteran of Monster Hunter and they release a new monster. You don't know what it can do, but you have a pretty good idea based on what it looks like.

The problem is, and we've seen them do this a few times, that they can just draw on previous experiences to deal with the monster. So even if they haven't seen a monster before, it'd have to have an all-new weakness to really create that sense of tension we had in the first two seasons. The boys are just too experienced at this point for that to work.

It's like when you're a veteran of Monster Hunter and they release a new monster. You don't know what it can do, but you have a pretty good idea based on what it looks like.
Yeah. That's what makes the foreign monsters so enticing for me, since the way to kill them could be completely different, depending on how monsters evolved. If nothing else, at least we'd get a break from the usual vampires, ghosts, and werewolves.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah. That's what makes the foreign monsters so enticing for me, since the way to kill them could be completely different, depending on how monsters evolved. If nothing else, at least we'd get a break from the usual vampires, ghosts, and werewolves.

I mean, unless they developed immunities from what the North American monsters are weak to it'll just turn out like all those other times they fought a "new monster."

If they're going to do it they should go whole hog on the style of monster Bobby and Rufus fought during Weekend at Bobby's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom