• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 11 |OT| No, seriously, it got awesome again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The trick with monster of the week episodes is that they have to not feel like a waste of time. It was what the show got right early on an kinda fumbled in the more recent seasons. A good MotW has to feel properly paced out with relation to the main arc, or even better if it can be directly tied into it. Ever since the stakes got high in the show they've always used the "no leads on the big bad better take a random job", which honestly kinda sucks.

We dont need crazy new exotic beasts, we need them to actually care about the side hunts. Also the mystery and atmosphere parts of these kinds of episodes are the most important part. It's gotta play out like a good episode of law and order where there aren't enough clues, terrible things keep happening, multiple suspects and that feeling of being caught up in something that isn't quite what you thought it was.

I'd love for the show to embrace mini arcs. Like 1-3 episodes where the brothers have to uncover a coven of witches messing up small town, or maybe even just a series of episodes of tracking down a haunted circus that's on tour through different locations.

There is a lot they could do to make MotWs amazing and interesting, the reason they worked early on was because they were seamlessly woven into the overall narrative while recently they're literally just filler episodes and occasionally a "what happened to so and so from season 4" story.

The reason why MotWs suck is because the show has put too much focus on the seasonal story episodes, not because the brothers have seen it all, are too powerful or whatever.

Pejo

Gold Member
So I was killing some time at the gf's house the other day, and I decided to start rewatching from S1E1. Man what a different feel the show had back then. The first 5 seasons of Supernatural are probably my favorite in all of television.

The more confusing thing is that the special and visual effects were actually better back then. I'm sure budgets gets smaller the longer the show goes on, but man there were some genuinely creepy moments back in the day.

I really want to get a full collection when the show ends, but will they have the removed licensed tracks in that version just like they do on Netflix, or will they be able to use the original soundtrack? If they have to lose the tracks, I might as well just start buying season by season. Is the whole thing thus far out on blu-ray, or only DVD?

So I was killing some time at the gf's house the other day, and I decided to start rewatching from S1E1. Man what a different feel the show had back then. The first 5 seasons of Supernatural are probably my favorite in all of television.

The more confusing thing is that the special and visual effects were actually better back then. I'm sure budgets gets smaller the longer the show goes on, but man there were some genuinely creepy moments back in the day.

I really want to get a full collection when the show ends, but will they have the removed licensed tracks in that version just like they do on Netflix, or will they be able to use the original soundtrack? If they have to lose the tracks, I might as well just start buying season by season. Is the whole thing thus far out on blu-ray, or only DVD?
It's all out on Blu-ray. I have seasons 1-9. Didn't buy 10 or 11 (yet?).

Last season, if I recall right, they put it up a week before the new season aired.

Life is suffering

Whens the new season coming to TV? Im on a rewatch and on the latter half of 2...although I figure at this rate, Im going through 1 season a week, so I should make it..

I am really excited about where they could possibly be going with Mary.

BTW, I am a bit pissed off, as I just realized that Dish Network is having a spat with CW or something they've removed the channel from my lineup in protest. What the hell? They are going to resolve this right? Before the new season starts?

o.o

Isnt the CW on public television? Wouldnt you be able to switch out from your dish network?

....I donr watch TV so I wouldnt know >_>

Oh god. Made it to season 8 and its first episode already has the brothers bickering. Like come on, you two have literally been to hell and back and you're still fighting. Once again it seems like Dean takes a few steps back in character progression. Hope they curtail that quick.

Oh god. Made it to season 8 and its first episode already has the brothers bickering. Like come on, you two have literally been to hell and back and you're still fighting. Once again it seems like Dean takes a few steps back in character progression. Hope they curtail that quick.

The keeping secrets from one another got real tiresome.

randome

Season 1 was the best. Genuinely creepy/freaky. Season 2 was good in that regard too. And there were so many better characters in the first 5 seasons.

So I'm on Season 3 of my rewatch.

And man, the quality really is great on the episodes. Back to back, episodes 12 and 13, you have Mystery Spot(Dean keeps dying) and Jus in Bello(Police Station siege).

So freaking good. I love these two episodes.

Not a true government entity that reports to the Feds.

Eh, close enough. it'd be a bit weird for the government to just have a demon hunting task force. That'd be like...Season 5 of angel where they have a team of soldiers under their command.

Which would be badass. But they gotta save that for the last season.

Media

So I'm on Season 3 of my rewatch.

And man, the quality really is great on the episodes. Back to back, episodes 12 and 13, you have Mystery Spot(Dean keeps dying) and Jus in Bello(Police Station siege).

So freaking good. I love these two episodes.

Mystery Spot is of course one of the best, but Jus in Bello is one of those that people tend not to hype and I can't figure out why. AMAZING episode. The mass exorcism was inspired as hell.

Not a true government entity that reports to the Feds.

I really hope they do that sometime. Sorta like the Initiative in Buffy, but you know...not completely terrible.

Mystery Spot is of course one of the best, but Jus in Bello is one of those that people tend not to hype and I can't figure out why. AMAZING episode. The mass exorcism was inspired as hell.

The whole set up for Jus in Bello is freaking great. Like, it's like Precinct 13 but with demons. You have the boys and you have the feds who were at odds come together to just repel this existential threat.

It always bummed me out the way it ended, though. I kinda wanted Hendrickson to be a sort of Bobby figure, like, someone who became a hunter after what happened and would meet up with Sam and Dean from time to time. It's like, one of the only times, from any show, that makes me go 'Dangit it ended wrong'.

Media

The whole set up for Jus in Bello is freaking great. Like, it's like Precinct 13 but with demons. You have the boys and you have the feds who were at odds come together to just repel this existential threat.

It always bummed me out the way it ended, though. I kinda wanted Hendrickson to be a sort of Bobby figure, like, someone who became a hunter after what happened and would meet up with Sam and Dean from time to time. It's like, one of the only times, from any show, that makes me go 'Dangit it ended wrong'.

You're making me sad all over again.

Hendrickson would have been an amazing gateway to the 'government is now aware of hunters and monsters' plot we want.

Booser

Agree. I think the difference is they cared a lot more back then. Every episode was shot like it was their first. In later seasons it all looks a bit flat and formulaic.

I love a good MOTW story, but there have been very few in recent seasons. They tend to reuse the same ones over and over again. Another vampire or werewolf, which in reality is just a dude with weird teeth. At least they tried something different with the banshee episode, even if the effects were terrible.

Please no more Jodie Mills and her comedy sidekick this season. Those episodes bore me to tears.

Kevin

My season 11 Blu-Ray set should be here today. I'm pretty excited to play around with that. Anyone else picking this up?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My season 11 Blu-Ray set should be here today. I'm pretty excited to play around with that. Anyone else picking this up?

I’ve actually not bought a single season set yet, I keep waiting for the show to end so that I can buy the eventual box set someday, but nothing seems to stop this train!

Media

I have all ten seasons on DVD, so I will eventually be picking up 11 as well.

It started because having season one on disk is essential when wanting to introduce friends to the show. Before letting them loose on Netflix anyhow lol

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm mid way through season 2 of my rematch leading into the new season and I gotta say that I think seasons 1 and 2 are some of the most enjoyable seasons of the show to watch.

The reason why is probably because it's hard to tell what's filler and what isn't. There aren't really many main arc episodes in the first two seasons, and even when we do get them they still usually deal with a case that feels like just a bigger hunt.

I think one my favorite episode is season 1 - Provenance. It is technically another motw episode but the atmosphere is awesome, the monster is traditional horror yet still inventive, the humor is pretty great and the whole thing still manages to feel like a meaningful episode because it ties back to how same is dealing with the loss of jess.

In general those are my favorite kind of episodes, because another one I love is season 4 - it's the great pumpkin sam winchester, for practical the same reasons. Any pre season 8 episode regarding witches was also usually amazing too.

Here is to hoping season 12 feels a little more down to earth.

Pejo

Gold Member
Agree. I think the difference is they cared a lot more back then. Every episode was shot like it was their first. In later seasons it all looks a bit flat and formulaic.

I love a good MOTW story, but there have been very few in recent seasons. They tend to reuse the same ones over and over again. Another vampire or werewolf, which in reality is just a dude with weird teeth. At least they tried something different with the banshee episode, even if the effects were terrible.

Please no more Jodie Mills and her comedy sidekick this season. Those episodes bore me to tears.

Yea I hate the fact that everything since season 8-ish has just been "human with a slight physical difference". I also dislike that in most episodes now, the monsters take a back seat to the character and plot development. Like the monsters are just background noise to help progress the one brother lying to the other one subplot that they've been stuck in. I get that they've killed hundreds of these things by now, but it's not like they "leveled up" in RPG terms. In theory, even a low ranking werewolf could kill them on a bad day.

Even demons are treated like no big deal now, and I think that's been a fundamental mistake of the show. They definitely have more tools and knowledge now than they did in the early seasons, but I mean these things aren't puppies.

Ah well, I'm always thankful that the show is still on, but at this point I would gladly take a final great season than 3 more middling ones. They had so many opportunities to reduce the "scale" of the show, with the Leviathans, angels, and last season's God arc. I just hope they take the opportunity to get away from angels and demons and get back to the more self contained spooky/funny stories like the early seasons.

Man what I would give for a Gabriel episode this season (I know, I know).

Kevin

I'm mid way through season 2 of my rematch leading into the new season and I gotta say that I think seasons 1 and 2 are some of the most enjoyable seasons of the show to watch.

The reason why is probably because it's hard to tell what's filler and what isn't. There aren't really many main arc episodes in the first two seasons, and even when we do get them they still usually deal with a case that feels like just a bigger hunt.

I think one my favorite episode is season 1 - Provenance. It is technically another motw episode but the atmosphere is awesome, the monster is traditional horror yet still inventive, the humor is pretty great and the whole thing still manages to feel like a meaningful episode because it ties back to how same is dealing with the loss of jess.

In general those are my favorite kind of episodes, because another one I love is season 4 - it's the great pumpkin sam winchester, for practical the same reasons. Any pre season 8 episode regarding witches was also usually amazing too.

Here is to hoping season 12 feels a little more down to earth.

Yeah I pretty much agree completely. The earlier seasons are still some of my favorite tv of all time while the more recent stuff is just solid content that is still fun. The show use to look absolutely stunning and the visuals were practically movie quality. It's a shame Kim Manners passed away since he was the main reason for the show's visuals in the earlier seasons (same with X-Files).

Yea I hate the fact that everything since season 8-ish has just been "human with a slight physical difference". I also dislike that in most episodes now, the monsters take a back seat to the character and plot development. Like the monsters are just background noise to help progress the one brother lying to the other one subplot that they've been stuck in. I get that they've killed hundreds of these things by now, but it's not like they "leveled up" in RPG terms. In theory, even a low ranking werewolf could kill them on a bad day.

Even demons are treated like no big deal now, and I think that's been a fundamental mistake of the show. They definitely have more tools and knowledge now than they did in the early seasons, but I mean these things aren't puppies.

Ah well, I'm always thankful that the show is still on, but at this point I would gladly take a final great season than 3 more middling ones. They had so many opportunities to reduce the "scale" of the show, with the Leviathans, angels, and last season's God arc. I just hope they take the opportunity to get away from angels and demons and get back to the more self contained spooky/funny stories like the early seasons.

Man what I would give for a Gabriel episode this season (I know, I know).

Yeah it's pretty annoying how easily demons are killed these days. Andrew Dabb keeps saying that the show is going some what back to their roots with it just being about family and hunting things. They even said they want to do more "horror" scary episodes. While Lucifer and so fourth will still be in the show, I'm still hoping for a much more grounded "old school" feeling season myself and it sounds like we may potentially get at least some of that this season.

I kind of wish Lucifer wouldn't be back. Especially with them recasting the character. It seems more of a B plot for Castiel and Crowley so I'm hoping that Sam and Dean will be doing more regular cases and such. Men of Letters stuff could be great too.

Booser

This.

I love Provenance.

To be fair, every new showrunner promised a return to the show's roots. No one has followed through on that.

This too, unfortunately. Fingers crossed because I think they might not have much of a choice. You cant really scale up again after God.

MetalSlug

This.

I love Provenance.

This too, unfortunately. Fingers crossed because I think they might not have much of a choice. You cant really scale up again after God.

I would like them to shut the gates of Heaven and Hell, and spend the rest of their time hunting down the monsters still on Earth. That would be a good way of going back to MOTW episodes.

So I'm about to finish Season 9, watching episode 22 right now. When the hell did reapers become angels? They were supposed to be Death's agents, impartial to heaven and hell. And why can Dean just see Tessa casually walking around. Did I miss something, or did they just do a retcon with not even an attempt of acknowledging it?

So I'm about to finish Season 9, watching episode 22 right now. When the hell did reapers become angels? They were supposed to be Death's agents, impartial to heaven and hell. And why can Dean just see Tessa casually walking around. Did I miss something, or did they just do a retcon with not even an attempt of acknowledging it?

Boy I remember nothing from season 9 because what you said doesn't make sense.

That's weird. I think I blacked it out of my memory.

Boy I remember nothing from season 9 because what you said doesn't make sense.

That's weird. I think I blacked it out of my memory.

It's probably easy to miss unless you're like me and have been binge watching the whole series for the last month. The episode is when Metatron is convincing angels to suicide bomb themselves in Cas' name to give him a bad image. One of the angels who was doing so was Tessa, the reaper that came for Dean early in the series. She's just spotted and captured by Dean, and is called an Angel.

Media

This is the most annoying retcon. I hand wave it by saying it was Metatron screwing with shit as God.

I mean they had to use a special blade and a shit to kill one in season three, now they can be killed by Angel blades?

It's probably easy to miss unless you're like me and have been binge watching the whole series for the last month. The episode is when Metatron is convincing angels to suicide bomb themselves in Cas' name to give him a bad image. One of the angels who was doing so was Tessa, the reaper that came for Dean early in the series. She's just spotted and captured by Dean, and is called an Angel.

hmmmmm

Maybe Reapers were a type of angel? They're not like real Death, who's omnipowerful, but they're not weak either. All they do is reap the living.

Kevin

SN_S12_Keyart.B_FULL_FULL.jpg

New promo for season 12:

https://youtu.be/2iBCocIJ_EM

Really excited for this season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom