• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swap Note

Because everyones 3DS is always online?

Obviously not. But that's no reason not to have a messaging system in place. By your logic there's no need for a friends list either.

Fact is, it's 2011, and feeling limited in your ability to communicate with people on your friends list just feels really dated. It's bad enough Mario Kart doesn't just let you speak like humans in-game, but even sending pre-made messages to people would be better than the 3DS' current situation.

EVH

Watching the video I don't like it at all.

I mean, I would like to see not only a more standarized UI for all this kind of tools that everybody's going to have in their 3DS, but also something more simple, faster and obviously, with the option to use it while in-game. Just fucking integrate it with the friend list and make it able to send invites of your current playing match. Let it send emotes, short voice clips and obviously notify the user when you get them.

For all the picture and painting stuff, create a separate tool or just combine it with the photo/video channel.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Oh, it's not multitaskable. smh.

I don't know what kind of 3DS friends you have or what kind of 3DS games you're playing, but I have found myself in very few circumstances where I've wished to immediately send a message to someone in the five seconds between Mario Kart races. Nintendo is not and has never been about "feature parity."

Sending messages of this sort to people for them to check at their own convenience sacrifices the fringe needs of the minority (immediate, pervasive instant messages) for the perks of the many (character-filled personal drawings and messages to be checked and looked forward to at the user's own convenience).

Think about it as the difference between sending a text message and sending a letter: text messages (or instant messages) convey information, but something like a letter is something to be anticipated and created. It's more fun and more personal, it's more compelling, and it's something people can actually sit down and "use" as entertainment instead of just utility. Anyone who expects anything different from Nintendo clearly doesn't quite get it yet.

Truth101

Banned
Obviously not. But that's no reason not to have a messaging system in place. By your logic there's no need for a friends list either.

Fact is, it's 2011, and feeling limited in your ability to communicate with people on your friends list just feels really dated. It's bad enough Mario Kart doesn't just let you speak like humans in-game, but even sending pre-made messages to people would be better than the 3DS' current situation.
Honestly I dont ever even use my 3DS friendlist, maybe that will change with AC

I don't know what kind of 3DS friends you have or what kind of 3DS games you're playing, but I have found myself in very few circumstances where I've wished to immediately send a message to someone in the five seconds between Mario Kart races. Nintendo is not and has never been about "feature parity."

Sending messages of this sort to people for them to check at their own convenience sacrifices the fringe needs of the minority (immediate, pervasive instant messages) for the perks of the many (character-filled personal drawings and messages to be checked and looked forward to at the user's own convenience).

Think about it as the difference between sending a text message and sending a letter: text messages (or instant messages) convey information, but something like a letter is something to be anticipated and created. It's more fun and more personal, it's more compelling, and it's something people can actually sit down and "use" as entertainment instead of just utility. Anyone who expects anything different from Nintendo clearly doesn't quite get it yet.

So instead of creating a useful piece of software, they've created useless MAGIC~!

Honestly I dont ever even use my 3DS friendlist, maybe that will change with AC

When Mario Kart and Mario Land were both new I used to have 4 or 5 people online at once sometimes. It would have been nice to be able to invite them to play Mario Kart with me. Instead in Nintendo's world they have to manually check their friends list and see if you're waiting aimlessly in a lobby.

Truth101

Banned
So instead of creating a useful piece of software, they've created useless MAGIC~!
Any messaging app on a handheld is kinda useless if it isn't always connected. In that light at least Nintendo made it interesting to use.

When Mario Kart and Mario Land were both new I used to have 4 or 5 people online at once sometimes. It would have been nice to be able to invite them to play Mario Kart with me. Instead in Nintendo's world they have to manually check their friends list and see if you're waiting aimlessly in a lobby.

You can join a friends game in Mario Kart from the friends list?

watershed

Banned

I don't think its useless at all. Its not a chat app its a postcard app. It serves a different purpose than what people expected but if you look judge it for what it is instead of what it isn't swapnote looks pretty good.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

You cannot tell me that you honestly use in-game friend instant messaging features as a critical part of your online gaming on either the PS3 or 360. 99 times out of 100 if I really had to say something I would either say it with a PC instant message or on my phone, and if we acknowledge the folly of using in-game system IM to convey actual time-sensitive information we can also agree that if it's a game where communication is important we'd be using voice chat.

If it's between uselessly delayed plaintext IM and uselessly delayed animate-y pictures and doodles, give me the one that is more entertaining, please.

Luigiv

This is just a novelty app. 3DS has had some solid OS improvements lately so it's a shame it's still looking years behind in terms of messaging.

I can't imagine anybody uses the browser in-game, just cut it and add a simple messaging program like any regular online system.

Or better yet, they could just add the messaging to the Friends app. Just a simple plain text messaging tool would do wonders. Also whist they're at it, they need to introduce an invite system that uses the same infrastructure.

rpmurphy

Not sure if you are serious... but there is nothing fringe about people wanting a communication system on the 3DS that is easily accessible at any time and doesn't require a lot of effort to use. It's not like people choose to have only either email or IM; they use both because they serve different purposes.

Luigiv said:
Or better yet, they could just add the messaging to the Friends app. Just a simple plain text messaging tool would do wonders. Also whist they're at it, they need to introduce an invite system that uses the same infrastructure.
Can you suspend a game and go to the friend list while playing online?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
A messaging system will probably get released at some point.

This is something else. And this is something new. It's a drawing messaging app taking full advantage of the stylus. It's richer than SMS/MMS. I envision it will quickly become a killer feature, particularly among children and teenagers.

It's not what we wanted but it's brilliant nonetheless.

You cannot tell me that you honestly use in-game friend instant messaging features as a critical part of your online gaming on either the PS3 or 360. 99 times out of 100 if I really had to say something I would either say it with a PC instant message or on my phone, and if we acknowledge the folly of using in-game system IM to convey actual time-sensitive information we can also agree that if it's a game where communication is important we'd be using voice chat.

If it's between uselessly delayed plaintext IM and uselessly delayed animate-y pictures and doodles, give me the one that is more entertaining, please.

I have a keypad attached to my 360 pad because I often send in game messages. But you're missing the point. The problem here is you can't communicate with people who are online in-game. So you can't ask someone if they want to play a game with you. You also can't receive invites to play with other people.

It's not like anyone uses their games console to send in depth messages. The point is for people to be accessible while they're playing games and for you to be also.

Well, it'll suck for actual messaging (and even if it didn't I would just use IM anyway).

However I hope we can all use this for what it'll really be good for: PICTOCHAT PARTIES

EDIT: The music is awesome.

rpmurphy

I'm not sure, probably not but I meant sending the invites from in game and having them appear in the OS of the person who received them.
Yeah, it is possible for invites to work that way (requiring game devs to make the interface on the sender side), but then it requires the receiving end to not be playing any other game online. And then other things could be done, but it's just a mess of a design.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Uhh, I receive messages all the time while I'm playing from online friends asking if I want to join them in whatever game while I'm doing something else.
I send the same kind of messages to family if I see them online and playing something else. That's really the point of it, I'm not sending messages while in game to talk to people.

Your limited view on why it's useful, and Truth101 saying things like 'Everyone who's using a 3DS is online?' or that he doesn't care about the friends list on the system are exactly why 3DS is just not going to have a nice online, connected base like PSN/XBL/Steam.
C'moooon Wii U! Do it right!

I mean, I'm always online with my 3DS. I guess it futile.

:clicks wireless switch off:

As for this Swapnote novelty app. I'm actually looking forward to it.
I do use my friends list so we'll have fun with that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You cannot tell me that you honestly use in-game friend instant messaging features as a critical part of your online gaming on either the PS3 or 360.
Of course I can, and it is an integral part of the online experience.

If a friend comes online and wants to play some MK7, I'd like to be able to read his message/memo without havin to quit Overclocked, for example. Conversely, not all messages are worth quitting my games for.

I find It strange to question the importance of this. You're missing out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't get it either.
It's like when MS came out with Party Chat and the most zealous of Sony folks just couldn't understand why it could be useful.
Thank goodness Vita has it.

He's saying he'd call the person up, or send them an instant message... what?
Assuming you have their number (we share those online right?) or they're near a computer.

If I'm online and playing a game, I'll see the message and respond if I need to. Nothing more really.
Like you said, I wouldn't have to quit my game to check.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Of course I can, and it is an integral part of the online experience.

If a friend comes online and wants to play some MK7, I'd like to be able to read his message/memo without havin to quit Overclocked, for example. Conversely, not all messages are worth quitting my games for.

I have a PS3, I'm not missing anything. But I'm either "playing a game" or planning to play a game with someone else. I dunno, maybe I don't put the same importance on receiving game invites from other people that I'll just randomly drop whatever I'm playing to join them in some random game they invited me to. If I see someone playing Mario Kart and I'm playing it already, sure I'll click join. WHATEVER

But if I'm playing Mario Kart and someone's playing Animal Crossing or something, nah I'm just gonna ignore that friend invite.

Don't get me wrong, if we are now boiling this whole thing down to "an invite system," instead of "a messaging system," which is what we were originally talking about, there are more elegant ways to implement it than swap note. Maybe I am just unique in generally placing very little stock in random friend requests from people popping up in my list. As for joining people in games, that functionality was implemented at the OS level with the most recent firmware update. And if it's something more fringe like a friend wants me to come see his Animal Crossing town, I assume we're gonna figure that out outside of the 3DS sometime.

Or perhaps... through a Swap Note?

Medalion

Banned
Itt we complain how once again Nintendo doesn't get online gaming conventions and mock this free software they didn't even have to give to us at all

EVH

Itt we complain how once again Nintendo doesn't get online gaming conventions and mock this free software they didn't even have to give to us at all

Well, it is free, but also not what people were asking and one year late.

Rhod

I am one of those people who doesn't just want a plain messaging program, I want things to be more fun and entertaining than my PC is. I have an iPhone 4 for efficient (except for lack of stylus). I have my 3DS for entertainment, and this messaging program is fresh, new and unlike any other I've used, so it's a total win for me.

I bloody love taking notes with a stylus, and being able to throw in pictures and to have them play back in order - allowing you to make jokes and to conceal key parts - means that my 3DS has today become *way* more loveable than it was all year.

Sending audio costs 15 game coins! You have to earn that right. Even that seems fun.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I am one of those people who doesn't just want a plain messaging program, I want things to be more fun and entertaining than my PC is. I have an iPhone 4 for efficient (except for lack of stylus). I have my 3DS for entertainment, and this messaging program is fresh, new and unlike any other I've used, so it's a total win for me.

I bloody love taking notes with a stylus, and being able to throw in pictures and to have them play back in order - allowing you to make jokes and to conceal key parts - means that my 3DS has today become *way* more loveable than it was all year.

Sending audio costs 15 game coins! You have to earn that right. Even that seems fun.
It's two different things though.
Basic OS messaging, and this SwapNote app for a different kind of fun.

I want both.

And I want FlipNote 3D.

Rhod

It's two different things though.
Basic OS messaging, and this SwapNote app for a different kind of fun.

I want both.

Fair enough. But of the both that you want, you now have one. Previously you only had none. This is a great program, which is entertaining to use in its own right. OS level messaging would be very cool (and flip note would mean I could finally retire my DSi) but it would be foolish to overlook this very useful, very funny program which we are getting for free, just because it isn't something else.

EDIT: not directed at you! just at the whole internet and its love of complaining.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Fair enough. But of the both that you want, you now have one. Previously you only had none. This is a great program, which is entertaining to use in its own right. OS level messaging would be very cool (and flip note would mean I could finally retire my DSi) but it would be foolish to overlook this very useful, very funny program which we are getting for free, just because it isn't something else.

Well yeah, I've been looking forward to SwapNote for a while. I haven't said otherwise.
Just because I'm ragging on Nintendo not having a competent OS messaging system, doesn't mean I didn't like the sound of this app.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. ;)
Most people won't care about this app, just like most didn't care about 3D video recording.
So that's why we'll never hear the end of messaging complaints, and to me, that's fair.

This is not a messaging system, it is just another entertainment feature from Nintendo, to mass spam dick figures

edit: it is like sms though

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just want a bare-bones chat that can work while i'm playing something that does not have a chat feature otherwise. Online titles that keep exclusive access to the connection still provide 'windows of opportunity' where the game gets off the internet and is suspendable. This is when people can take the opportunity for a quick chat with their friends discussing the past round, arranging the next rounds, etc. Swap Note is not cutting it at all.

Rhod

More research required but it seems like you only need to 'pay' the game coin charges once - like, they are for unlocking features rather than for reducing usage. Maybe you have to pay per day... but you can cheat the calendar so.. hmmm.

I am now being sold *bucketloads* of different paper types for 5 game coins each.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
More research required but it seems like you only need to 'pay' the game coin charges once - like, they are for unlocking features rather than for reducing usage. Maybe you have to pay per day... but you can cheat the calendar so.. hmmm.

I am now being sold *bucketloads* of different paper types for 5 game coins each.
Thanks, have you been able to try the streetpass feature: can you share a note with whomever crosses your pass? I'd love going to work and receive random notes/drawing each day :)

Rhod

No, only to your friends. I think. Via streetpass or spot pass is the option every time you make a new note.

The game-coin bought backgrounds are really nice.

Gintoki

A messaging system will probably get released at some point.

This is something else. And this is something new. It's a drawing messaging app taking full advantage of the stylus. It's richer than SMS/MMS. I envision it will quickly become a killer feature, particularly among children and teenagers.

It's not what we wanted but it's brilliant nonetheless.

If they were to release a messaging system they're surely going to release it before this, right? Or even better, included with the system when it launched.

Either way, this looks interesting.

angelfly

Kinda cool that you can write in both 2d and 3d.

edit: Sent a picture to a random GAF member (only ones on my friends list)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The lack of an OS-level messaging system is puzzling, considering even the Wii had one. With terrible delays, but it was there.

Rhod

Not only can you send 3D pictures but you can write on them on two separate 3D planes, and you can fit them into loads of template letters (think Animal Crossing) before you make your animated messages, add audio, and send.

It is very lovely software.

angelfly

Not only can you send 3D pictures but you can write on them on two separate 3D planes, and you can fit them into loads of template letters (think Animal Crossing) before you make your animated messages, add audio, and send.

It is very lovely software.

Yeah I had fun playing with it. I just wish they had added color options.

Top Bottom