• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweeney (Epic) on why tablets don't compete w/ powerful consoles, carts & next gen

SmokyDave

Yes, yes it would, but that is nit what Epic is talking about here. They are talking about current-gen styled games found on disc on the iPad, so we gotta go with one of those.

So you want to see Bulletstorm 2 in 6-8 years?

Yeah, I'd say that was perfectly feasible.

The oft-forgotten point in all of this is that the $60 console model ain't exactly looking healthy nowadays. You're either one of the five guaranteed trillion selling franchises or you're risking bankruptcy every time you make a big-budget game. I'd say it's easier to raise prices in the iOS market than it is to keep loading console gamers up with extra fees, DLC and higher prices.

Also, remember when the price of iOS games went up across the board? (59p-69p, £1.19-£1.49 etc..) No, neither does anyone else, but it did happen. It will again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So you want to see Bulletstorm 2 in 6-8 years?

Yeah, I'd say that was perfectly feasible.

The oft-forgotten point in all of this is that the $60 console model ain't exactly looking healthy nowadays. You're either one of the five guaranteed trillion selling franchises or you're risking bankruptcy every time you make a big-budget game. I'd say it's easier to raise prices in the iOS market than it is to keep loading console gamers up with extra fees, DLC and higher prices.

Also, remember when the price of iOS games went up across the board? (59p-69p, £1.19-£1.49 etc..) No, neither does anyone else, but it did happen. It will again.

I was not actually being serious here, I was saying this as more of a remark of how much of a dumb idea it would be.

Binabik15

You're going to feel a bit daft in a decade when 'driving home' means 'docking the tablet in the centre console, firing up the GPS app and letting the car drive me home whilst I watch the news'.

Why would you even have to leave the house? The tablet is already working your job day and night!

SmokyDave

I was not actually being serious here, I was saying this as more of a remark of how much of a dumb idea it would be.

Bulletstorm 2 would be a dumb idea, yeah. Testing the market with more original games equivalent to the 800-1200 point XBLA games would be a great idea. The next step up from Infinity Blade, so to speak. We'll see it happening over the next couple of years, I'm sure.

Why would you even have to leave the house? The tablet is already working your job day and night!
Because I like the pub. The tablet could take me there and drive me home once I'm suitably sozzled.

Sad how this thread, with someone who actually knows what he's talking about is already burried with just 2 pages while the other one from an ipad keynote is still on the first page with 11 pages...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sad how this thread, with someone who actually knows what he's talking about is already burried with just 2 pages while the other one from an ipad keynote is still on the first page with 11 pages...

That's because the other thread is an opinion that get's everyone's panties in a knot. The idea that a tablet dare replace a console or anything else for that matter really bothers people.

This thread simply states what everyone wants to hear, so no action.

sTeLioSco

Banned
these are interesting:

"Tim Sweeney: Well our engine has been in active development for a long time. It's up and running stably now and a select few partners have and will have access to it shortly. It is already in the early stage of the development pipeline at a number of studios. But we're saving the announcements until everything is lined up for when we can make a really big public splash. Obviously we're trying to line up Epic's roadmap up with a few other roadmaps whose existence we can't even acknowledge. "

"Number two is to deliver the maximum amount of computing power that is economically possible. Really, that's the reason consoles exist in the future. They have an enormous amount of graphics processing power that delivers an experience that goes far beyond what you can get on a lighter weight device. "
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-13-an-epic-interview-with-tim-sweeney

great interview.....

Top Bottom