• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 to hit 4 teraflops?!

Buggy Loop

I just want a new 3D Mario, man...

4 TF Toad with such details

Toad.png

It'll be interesting to see what Nintendo can do with thier first party games when it comes to graphics. I don't like BOTW/TOTK but how Nintendo uses the old technology is impressive.

Than there's Luigi Mansion 4. That going to look amazing plus the environments are gonna to be unique for each floor. Plus the puzzles/gameplay is gonna be pretty inventive

2D/3D Mario is gonna be interesting. Wondering if for 3D Mario they go completely for Open World 3D Platformer

Super Smash Bros. Not sure how they are going to top the Switch Version

New Animal Crossing

I want a Xenoblade with all the cast from Xenoblade 1 - 3 Plus all the Cast from the Story DLC to be together and let it be like the Swan Song for Xenoblade. I miss Tora and Poppi

Fire Emblem is gonna to be interesting. I didn't play the latest one since I thought it looked terrible and censorship

When it comes to hardware

I hope all the extra time they are taking with Develeping the Switch 2, that there's lot more care put into the Joycons. I hope that the Drift is practically gone. That's one of the cons with Switch. I'm on my 5th pair

Skeptical

Exactly. The Switch has tons of games running on sub 720p res in handheld mode already. Upping it to 1080p will just repeat the same shit again.
Three counterpoints:

1) It is likely that the difference in raw power between docked and handheld is ~2X. Which means either a) the resolution difference will be 1.4X, b) one mode or the other will be a horribly unoptimized mess (killing Nintendo's image of the system), or c) developers will need to spend a great deal of time optimizing for both modes individually (leading to additional costs and possibly lower 3rd party support). Since the 1.4X resolution difference is the most likely, a 720p screen leads to only 1080p output on TV, which probably won't cut it in 2024. 1440p would likely be seen as acceptable, however.

2) Nintendo cares first and foremost about their own games. If potential 40+ million seller Mario Kart 9 can be advertised best with a 1080p 8 inch screen, then Nintendo isn't going to care one whit about how Witcher 4 will look on it.

3) There's a good chance that DLSS will be heavily used with this system anyway, meaning many if not all AA-AAA games will be sub-native resolution anyway, making this a moot point.

IAmRei

i think just barely twic of its power is enough, consider the price and battery life, they would need to keep the price as reasonable as possible for mainstream people to keep the market like switch. oled not oled is still fine, since it can and should goes to TV for better visual.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Can we examine how this would perform in docked mode if every game supports dlss 3.5? Are we thinking 1440p at 60fps?

CS Lurker

No, more like 1TF max

LOL, no.

1TF = ~326MHz in handheld. To be "near 4TF" like MLID said, you need 1.3GHz. It makes absolutely no sense.

I don't believe MLID "sources", but if they indeed went with 1.3GHz docked, then they would have clock profiles between 520MHz and 650MHz in handheld (1.59TF and 1.99TF respectively), just like they did with the current Switch.

The screen IS 1080p (people can be mad all they want, but Nintendo isn't going to use 720p again), and with DLSS resolution will scale perfectly between handheld and docked, and the clock difference between these two modes is already accounting for the resolution difference. So there's absolutely no way Nintendo would clock the GPU as low as 326MHz LMAO (the Nvidia Orin Power Tool doesn't even go below 420MHz)

MLID seems to be completely out of touch with how the Switch works, like, he doesn't understand it has different clock profiles for docked and handheld, just like different resolution targets. He's surprised that the handheld has to be clocked much lower than when docked LMAO

"How much low? 800MHz????"

He's projecting those AMD handhelds on Switch 2, because they don't automatically change clocks when you "dock" them. So, for him, going from 1.3GHz (which is MUCH higher than everyone (specially the haters) were considering as likely - not to mention that the GPU itself already has like double the CUDA that people were expecting coming from cheap Nintendo) to something below 800MHz is the same as going "crazy, crazy low", like he wasn't expecting it at all LOL what a stupid guy trying to talk about something he doesn't understand the basics.

The clock difference between handheld and docked will mostly account for the pixel increase when docked. It's that simple.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't believe MLID "sources", but if they indeed went with 1.3GHz docked, then they would have clock profiles between 520MHz and 650MHz in handheld (1.59TF and 1.99TF respectively), just like they did with the current Switch.

Not if they went higher on the Dock Power draw and lower on the handheld power draw to preserve battery, which is precisely what I think they are going to do.

The spread in clocks is not applicable for Switch 2 vs Switch 1

CS Lurker

Not if they went higher on the Dock Power draw and lower on the handheld power draw to preserve battery, which is precisely what I think they are going to do.

The spread in clocks is not applicable for Switch 2 vs Switch 1

It makes zero sense to have in docked mode 4 times the clock of handheld mode. What are you going to do with all that power? They are not going to make different versions (in terms of graphics) for their games, and they are not stupid to have this ratio just to have 4 times more internal resolution. And at this point you are not making good use of DLSS.

Sorry, but anyone thinking they are coming with a 720p screen and 4 times higher GPU clock when docked is out of touch with reality. You can print this post.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

If the rumored specs from MLiD are correct, at 700MHz in docked mode you're still looking at ~1.8 - 2TFs.
How? The rumor are the switches GPU will be a version of the MX570 or a RTX 2050,at 700MHz,it should be slightly over 2 Ampere TFLOPS.

Last edited:

sachos

Reaching PS4 Pro level perf (doub it) coupled with DLSS, yeah, if true it will be awesome. I wish they would release a "Pro" home console only (not hybrid) version for those user that don't plan to ever use it as a handheld.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Pfft not even half the Tittyflops of the Asus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme™️ with it's massive 8.5 Tittyflops.

Bigger Tittyflops = better.
fred armisen lol GIF by IFC

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I expect the worst for Switch 2, yet I know I’ll still feel devastating secondhand disappointment from all the people who still get hyped at these baseless rumors.

IDWhite

The problem is not the frequency itself, but the power consumption.

We don't know the fabrication process, architecture details, memory configuration, battery capacity... And without all that it is impossible to say whether or not it can reach a certain frequency.

manzo

800 gigaflops handheld, 1.5tf docked with 4gb of RAM. And you will like it.

Actually who cares. No-one buys Nintendo hardware for specs.

mnkl13

i think nintendo will go with the same price point of the original switch and powerwise it will match the steamdeck. maybe can go higher while docked.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

So do we think Nintendo will be taking a small loss on this and depart from selling all their consoles for profit?

Seems like a lot of power and more than the Steam Deck and Rog which go for over $600? And I guess this won't cost more than $399-449. 🤔

Of course I imagine they will get decent discounts for the sheer volume of materials they will be sourcing and position they have in the supply chain already.

Last edited:
So do we think Nintendo will be taking a small loss on this?

Seems like a lot of power and more than the Steam Deck and Rog which go for over $600? And I guess this won't cost more than $399-449. 🤔

Of course I imagine they will get decent discounts for the sheer volume of materials they will be sourcing and position they have in the supply chain already.

Steam Deck starts at $400.

Kumomeme

Not crazy at all. Would not be very impressive for 2025, even for a handheld.

My hope is just that they have 12GB+ of RAM and DLSS4. That would be nuts.
the crazy part is the price vs performance which is something Nintendo has strict line.

it is doable, but will what price they gonna sell this? thats the crazy part.

First of all teraflops don’t matter, that is one thing we learned in the current console generation.

Second of all, it’s unlikely that it will have a big jump over switch when it comes to raw power. Sure it will be better, but the main advantages come from DLSS and AI based upscaling technologies.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
800 gigaflops handheld, 1.5tf docked with 4gb of RAM. And you will like it.

Actually who cares. No-one buys Nintendo hardware for specs.

True in the past, may not be true in the future.
In the past, especially the last 7 years, a huge portion of buyers bought the switch because it was the only handheld console. That may not be the case for switch 2.

So while any increase will be welcome, it may not be as easy this time around if it's too weak.

Type_Raver

If that is the case, they should stick to 720p screen for handheld.
Rumors stating a 1080p, 8" screen.

Perhaps like you, i wouldve been content with 720p.
Better IQ (less demand for upscaling) and realistic targets which are more acheivable in handheld mode.

AGRacing

Here we go again with the TFLOPs....
Yeah. Means absolutely nothing relative to any console that currently exists. If the number is true, for example, it will CRUSH the PS4 Pro… not equal it or fall just short of it. It will CRUSH it. Comparing teraflops different generational architectures in the same brand and especially between totally different gpu brands cannot be directly compared.

Esppiral

Isn't the rog ally or one of those portable gaming PC's like 8tf and it performs way below than the 4tf series S?

- You can run modern games on the Steamdeck, albeit at reduced settings

- Switch 2 should be quite comfortable be more powerful than the Deck, CPU and GPU wise. So It’s quite easy to imagine ports will come with no issue.
I wonder how long it will take until some people will blame all these handhelds for holding next gen back, with XSS still having comparable power, just earlier.

Top Bottom