• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch: Capcom's request to Nintendo was accepted for more memory space

Illucio

Banned
Thanks Capcom!

I love when these things happen. I believe the same was done when designing the PS4 but it was many companies, not just one.

gogogow

It's not necessarily a matter of power; there are only so many things you can scale back or cut to reduce memory footprint before you're straddling a fine line between optimisation and creating a bespoke version of the game.

You don't understand what i'm saying. I'm saying if the Switch was as powerful as a PS4, but only had 4GB of ram, THAT would be disastrous for Nintendo.

Except it's a dedicated console with console games.

Lol, this again. It doesn't matter at all what you think or whoever thinks what it is. It's a less than 10 watt gaming device. That's what it is.

Rodin

Still not enough, they really could have gone with 8gbs.

If you said 6 maybe, so even with 1GB reserved to the OS (which is more than the 750MB it's currently using) the amount of RAM available for games was still going to be in line with the other two systems (unless people want to suddendly pretend that PS4 and X1 use all their RAM for games). But 8? Nah.

This could be a big reason why they went with a smart phone app for voice chat, so that as much RAM as possible could be for games and not having too many things reserved for the OS and other functions.

They have 750MB reserved to the OS. I don't think they'll have problems fitting a voice chat app in there if they want to, Skype is bloated as fuck and it's a Windows app. It takes a bit over 80MB of RAM.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You don't understand what i'm saying. I'm saying if the Switch was as powerful as a PS4, but only had 4GB of ram, THAT would be disastrous for Nintendo.

I realise that, thus "It's not necessarily a matter of power". Liberal use of RAM isn't something limited to big-budget AAA blockbusters that kick real-time graphics technology up a notch.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying that 4GB is disastrous, just noting that the likes of GTA6 aren't going be the only games that skip the Switch due to the RAM deficit.

If the switch had 8gb it would be more expensive, you have to find a sweet spot somewhere.

Raising the 360's 256 up to 512 cost millions or something, whatever happens in development and buying parts and whatever else.

And it more than payed off. There's a difference between spending money and investing money.

3.2GB useable out of a 4GB total still doesn't feel enough.

A lot more than 2GB total with 1 usable on Wii U, that's for sure. BTW was the 3.2GB out of 4GB usable ever actually confirmed from real findings or is this still from rumors like from EG? Can't remember.

Also considering that we're going from 1GB for the OS on Wii U to only 800MB for Switch, makes me wonder if that played a part in pushing media apps and whatnot aside, or vice versa since without them, they could give more RAM to devs.

It's a console.
It also has a portable/handheld form factor, and that comes with compromises on how to use that little space. I imagine that the Switch is internally very compact and cramped.

And for a dedicated home console it's a third party killer. Switch couldn't run AAA games even if third parties tried.

Capcom apparently don't think so anymore. It should be considered that the system is also allocating a lot more of their main memory for gaming that most systems.

Eolz

Yep, Capcom is one of the only ones having real influence on Nintendo hardware (and pads).
Nice.

Dystify

It's a console.

Does this look like a traditional console?

420HJqr.png

Show me something in this form factor that runs games as well as Nintendo Switch will.

Does this look like a traditional console?

420HJqr.png

Show me something in this form factor that runs games as Nintendo Switch will.
I just don't get how people can't grasp this. It really is incredible how powerful this device is.
The pricing on accessories and such is the true issue.

-shadow-

So they were planning for only 2/3GB of RAM originally? That's bizarre that they were even considering that!

Oregano

Oh so we actually got an updated leak saying there's now 50MB more for games? Awesome! Every bit helps! :D

No, not exactly. The 3.2GB figure came from Vern who said he heard that during the summer. The spec leak was from July so it's likely it was actually the same figure.

We don't know if its changed since then.

Hermii

I'm glad Nintendo's listening to third parties more.

Didn't something similar happen with Sony concerning the PS4's RAM?
The source (at least the one I remember) is highly questionable. Sony doubled the memory solely because Randy Pitchford told them to according to Randy Pitchford.

Talking about the power, there are other interesting tidbits about Switch's development in that article:

Hardware specs for Switch focus on high performance and low power. It means you can achieve nVidia GeForce’s high performance capability in TV mode, and you also can use the same device running with a battery in tabletop mode and portable mode.

There was also some talk about how Nintendo achieved high performance and low power in portable mode and how it differs from smart devices. Nintendo is adopting an original operating system. You can use plenty of hardware resources for gaming apps and it can secure enough memory space for these apps as well.

Hearing Nintendo and "high performance" in the same sentence that many times stood out to me. :)

Another part of the session was about issues to examine for the future. Since Switch’s SOC power consumption takes a bigger toll on the GPU than the CPU, Capcom asked Nintendo about implementing a feature to adjust the GPU clock corresponding on scenes (note: this is a development term), but Nintendo said that even if you lower the clock, the overall processing time will be longer and it won’t necessarily give an advantage in the end.

So, if I am reading this right, Capcom asked if it was beneficial to throttle the GPU, but Nintendo stated that wouldn't really be an advantage.

Top Bottom