• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch has digital triggers... so no GCN VC?

Pro Controller is analogue. Joy Con are not pure digital, might be different kind of analogue. Would not take this as confirmed in any way right now. It's apparently hard to tell on the JoyCon but obvious analogue on Pro.

6 Pages later and still no source. You got a problem?

khaaan

Unfortunate but it should be possible for them to do a work around in many cases, right? I don't recall many games actually using the full extent of the triggers. It was either pressed, or it was pressed past the point where the triggers clicked. It would be game specific but I'm sure some remapping could be done that would make many games playable. Of course it's not the ideal solution and Nintendo being Nintendo might see it as reason enough to not go down that path.

ckaneo

Laura Kate Dale said the pro controller was analog about two days ago.

She's unreliable....

It appears the controls are inbetween analog and digital which is why people cant tell. That said, it's more digital than analog since you cant effectively fine tune them

Yes, yes racing games DO need analogue triggers. They really do. Maybe not for super casual gamers, but anyone playing remotely seriously who wants proper control absolutely needs analogue accelerator/brake control. Might as well remove analogue sticks and go fully digital for your FPS and third person action games. Nobody needs that fine level of control, just all or nothing, yeah?

Exactly which Gamecube games do you need that level of control on?

What racing games on the Switch are you going to get, that you need that level of control on, that you're not going to get on your PS4/XBONE?

There hasn't been a need for analogue control on a Nintendo console, since the Wii.

Dryk

They were assumed to be $5-$10 each before the big event. Cheap and interchangeable, Jose Otero joked that he would be losing them...but not anymore.
I mean they could still do that, and a lot of multiplayer games would benefit immensely from their existence. But they won't.

Wil348

I thought Eurogamer reported the GCN VC? In which case, it's probably happening.

As for how, they could use both the shoulder buttons and triggers to emulate the analog triggers, then move Z.

Neoxon

I thought Eurogamer reported the GCN VC? In which case, it's probably happening.

As for how, they could use both the shoulder buttons and triggers to emulate the analog triggers, then move Z.
Yeah, Eurogamer was the one who reported on GameCube Virtual Console games.

Robiin

Exactly which Gamecube games do you need that level of control on?

What racing games on the Switch are you going to get, that you need that level of control on, that you're not going to get on your PS4/XBONE?

There hasn't been a need for analogue control on a Nintendo console, since the Wii.
Melee. No joke.

xrnzaaas

No analogue triggers on the pro controller? Wow they must expect to not have any racing games on the Switch except for Mario Kart.

Chinbo37

Also, don't rule out the possibility of new Joy-Con

b33.png

Let's just hope they make more than 3 per store.

Price - 99 bucks

Just make it compatible with the GameCube controller adapter that was released for the Wii U. Problem solved.

You had to buy a classic controller for Wii to play SNES/N64 Virtual Console, and a Wii remote to play Wii games on Wii U. It's not like they haven't done this before.

That probably means it wouldn't be portable but eh.

Seloth

Banned
I thought there was a rumor that the pro(at least) had 2-step digital, in that instead of just having two states (press/not pressed) it had three;

• Pressed
  • Pressed (full contact - ie. all the way down)
  • Not pressed

Except it didn't? The only thing she messed up were the pricing and release date, all coming from one source. The rest were either spot on or could be announced later.

she almost got everything wrong on the software side.
she got the release date(s) wrong and the pricing.
she got the SKUs wrong.

she was only really good on HW.

Silkworm

Price - 99 bucks

Maybe if they were true joycons. But if it was simply a shell that permitted input like the GC controllers.... then unless they really want to price gouge (which I can't eliminate as a possibility) the price for such a thing could be fairly reasonable.

Eylos

Banned
Which plataforms has been confirmed on switch VC, which are confirmed to be not included, and which are unconfirmed?

I'm still Lost in this thing

Uhyve

The triggers are digital, but have some give to them so people confuse them for analog.
It appears the controls are inbetween analog and digital which is why people cant tell. That said, it's more digital than analog since you cant effectively fine tune them
... I'm probably being overly hopeful here, but people aren't being confused by Gamecube style triggers are they? They clicked when fully pressed but were still analog.

Scrawnton

Which plataforms has been confirmed on switch VC, which are confirmed to be not included, and which are unconfirmed?

I'm still Lost in this thing
Nintendo said nothing about VC so far. Reggie said in an interview they will talk about it at some point before launch. But for all we know "talking" about it could mean they will say that they will reveal more at E3.

Arkam

Would have liked some analog triggers for sure. They make racing games so much more enjoyable..... damn. But I guess it is not the end of the world here since they are teh exception not teh rule when it comes to Nintendo

Besides the Joycons come off and can be replaced with other attachments (in theory) so I am going to hope maybe one of those alternate attachments has analog triggers.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario Sunshine, MGS: The Twin Snakes, Metroid Prime 1-2, just to name a few.

Well, I'm sure any VC for the MP games is more likely to be the Wii HD collection that was also on Wii U VC.

Assuming the right joy con works fine for the pointer aiming.

Well, I'm sure any VC for the MP games is more likely to be the Wii HD collection that was also on Wii U VC.

Assuming the right joy con works fine for the pointer aiming.

If they could put the GCN NTSC lore entries back into Metroid Prime Trilogy for a possible Switch version, I'd rebuy that. I would, however, shell out $50 for a full 1080p remaster of the Prime Trilogy with updated controls.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If they could put the GCN NTSC lore entries back into Metroid Prime Trilogy for a possible Switch version, I'd rebuy that. I would, however, shell out $50 for a full 1080p remaster of the Prime Trilogy with updated controls.

Same here. I'd love a Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 remaster even more.

Top Bottom