• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch has digital triggers... so no GCN VC?

Baffling.

It's not about VC, they have the game cube adapter for that.

But what about 3rd party games?

I truly believe Nintendo simply does not care.

It continues the trend of doing something small to make things harder for 3rd parties that has been going on since the N64.

damn that really sucks. i atleast hope they work on games that dont use motion.

This, however, isn't something you should worry about. Even one of Nintendo's premier motion showcase games, Arms, is playable without motion controls.

The Switch won't be a repeat of Wii with the constant need for motion controls. I do think they learned their lesson there.

blamite

Good dammit, I had been feeling pretty overwhelmingly positive about the Switch so far, but I can't believe they fucked up by not going with analog triggers AGAIN. With everything they've got packed in those controllers, I can't believe they left out sieging so obvious. What a gigantic missed opportunity.

goldenpp72

Yes. Oh my god yes.

The idea of playing that game on the go makes me super excited.

Too bad it's probably not gonna happen.

And they'd let it be compatible with Wii games too. That seemed like a no brainer, but nope. Had to work with one game only.

80 dollar gamecube add on, yes.

lenovox1

What are the use cases for analogue triggers?

Can they largely be replicated with the IR proximity camera and/or the gyroscope? Sunshine's water pressure mechanic certainly can.

RikuDawn

I feel like they could offer multiple different options for GameCube control support. GameCube adapter for TV mode and GameCube style JoyCons for portable (which would hopefully be cheaper than regular JoyCons because lack of need for HD rumble or any kind of motion support). And they could use any of the ways mentioned in the thread to emulate analog triggers for anybody who doesn't feel like paying for extra accessories. And there's plenty of GameCube games that have no use for analog triggers, so even if they don't offer any way to use a controller with analog triggers or any way of emulating them, they could still release plenty of GameCube games on VC.

ckaneo

What are the use cases for analogue triggers?

Can they largely be replicated with the IR proximity camera and/or the gyroscope? Sunshine's water pressure mechanic certainly can.

Driving games or games with cars. It's the perfect simulation for pedals.

I know Nintendo thinks the only driving game is mario kart, but plenty of 3rd party action games have cars in them

MuchoMalo

Banned
$70 and they still cut costs. Fucking Nintendo. All we can hope for is that Kimi does the right thing and goes third-party after The Floppening.

HotHamBoy

As said previously in the thread, the Shield can run many GCN games via Dolphin at 1080p/60FPS. And that's with a fan emulator not optimized for the platform with a targeted resolution/performance that Nintendo would almost certainly undershoot. It's definitely doable.

I stand corrected and I hope they do it.

If VC has online on old games now then that gives me hope for Melee with online.

-shadow-

Just out of curiosity. Could it be that Nintendo went with pressure sensitive buttons? I doubt it, but you know...

alf717

I have Need for Speed on Wii U and it played fine without them. Assassin's Creed just used analogue tilt on the stick to control run speeds. As for possible GC emulation only two games I can think of are Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine and I don't remember that feature being all that critical or useful at all.

Vena

I was listening to RFN and they had a developer on who said the triggers were analong. At least that's what I remember.

Do you know the timestamp on this and/or episode?

These could be analogue-pressure buttons rather than straight up analogue, the former would feel like a regular button.

Are the sticks clickable?

I've made some fun workarounds in dolphin where a half press was LT RT and a full press was LB RB. Use R3 for Z or something.

We'll get Gamecube VC, but it'll be like 2 years into the Switch's lifecycle, with only like 3 games to start before getting another game every 6-9 months for the remaining year of the Switch's lifecycle.

And then Switch will get hacked wide open and we'll be able to load in our own GC VC, making Nintendo's VC pointless.

Do we have confirmation from Nintendo that this is true?

Screenshot_20170115-124254.png

Because those are some weird looking digital buttons if true.

Maybe they have a really short travel distance with analog detection similar to the Dualshock 3's face buttons?

DavidDesu

WHY?

They look like they have some travel to them and they're shaped like triggers... there goes my hopes of playing Rocket League on this thing... and yeah this will screw up that rumoured GameCube backwards compatibility. And these controllers cost a small fortune, I'm sure a limited analogue trigger is something they could have designed in! (If the "Pro" controller doesn't have analogue triggers either than that's just silly).

I know Nintendo is the last place you would go to get racing games but it would be nice to know ports would be available, and of course analogue triggers have uses in other game genres.. but man.. Switch is one disappointment after another. Who, WHO asked for an IR camera thing in one corner of one Joycon... and what use will that get over the life of the unit?! Three games, calling it now.. but a staple control method of gaming consoles for generations now is to have analogue triggers. And Nintendo are absolutely adamant this is a home console over a handheld device.

Boggles the mind.

DavidDesu

It's not like any of them really need them.

Yes, yes racing games DO need analogue triggers. They really do. Maybe not for super casual gamers, but anyone playing remotely seriously who wants proper control absolutely needs analogue accelerator/brake control. Might as well remove analogue sticks and go fully digital for your FPS and third person action games. Nobody needs that fine level of control, just all or nothing, yeah?

Red Devil

Lots of games with cars use analog triggers.

Yes, yes racing games DO need analogue triggers. They really do. Maybe not for super casual gamers, but anyone playing remotely seriously who wants proper control absolutely needs analogue accelerator/brake control. Might as well remove analogue sticks and go fully digital for your FPS and third person action games. Nobody needs that fine level of control, just all or nothing, yeah?

Racing games on Switch, that's cute.

Do we have confirmation from Nintendo that this is true?

Screenshot_20170115-124254.png

Because those are some weird looking digital buttons if true.

Maybe they have a really short travel distance with analog detection similar to the Dualshock 3's face buttons?

They look exactly like the digital ones on the Wii U GamePad to me.

suaveric

And the cycle continues.... this was the same thing we said about Wii U when it had a drought, turns out nintendo didnt care and was perfectly fine not releasing a first party retail game for six months straight.

was it lastnight's live show? do you have a link?

It was the live show but that's up for download or streaming now. I don't have a time stamp, sorry. The developer comes on around the last half/third of the show and stays on until the end.

Here's a link to the episode: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/43976/episode-505-switchmas-presents

Also, don't rule out the possibility of new Joy-Con

b33.png

Let's just hope they make more than 3 per store.

It's very unlikely, but I would love for this to happen

Obviously it sucks is it's the only way to play GCN games on VC, but it it was just an extra add-on for enthusiasts it would be awesome.

Hydrus

Funny, I just came across this from 2012:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491570

Same shit 4 and half years later lmao.

Some quotes:

The only thing that worries me about lacking analog triggers is the potential for GCN virtual console.

Pre-order cancelled.

Maybe they're using next-gen analog triggers, that feel just like digitals.

Wow, no analog triggers? That's just... why??

I wonder how Project Cars will deal with the missing triggers...

LOL

That's because they are not digital buttons, they're (assuming an on/off only state) digital triggers.

Huh, so they are triggers with travel... How do we know for sure that they don't have analog detection though? Because I wouldn't really expect Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 or Zelda BOTW to have analog trigger support anyway.

Nintendo still hasn't confirmed or denied it yet anyway right?

Huh, so they are triggers with travel... How do we know for sure that they don't have analog detection though? Because I wouldn't really expect Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 or Zelda BOTW to have analog trigger support anyway.

Nintendo still hasn't confirmed or denied it yet anyway right?

Being a trigger refers to the shape in this case. No confirmation of any travel at all.

Glass Rebel

We weren't talking about racing games.

So when you said trigger you meant trigger shaped button? ala the Wii U gamepads button triggers...

I think of it as a trigger. It's on a hinge after all. If button makes more sense to you, then sure.
Being digital doesn't make it a button just like being a button doesn't mean digital only (PS3 face buttons).

Switch having no analog triggers would go against what we saw in the patents iirc.
Maybe the games on the show floor just didn't utilize the analog part of it. Ever thought about that?

I mean if you have to press it a down until it triggers an action on screen (and they apparently feel like analog triggers, too) then I'm pretty sure that it's just the games that "aren't analog" as opposed the controllers themselves.

EDIT: Remember that the Wii Classic Controller actually had analog shoulder buttons, it's just that the analog part wasn't used in any Wii game which is probably why they removed that from the Wii Classic Controller Pro.

I think of it as a trigger. It's on a hinge after all. If button makes more sense to you, then sure.
Being digital doesn't make it a button just like being a button doesn't mean digital only (PS3 face buttons).

True, I just wish Nintendo would've gone over this in detail at their conference or at least list it on their website.

Terrell

We've already had one instance of IGN being wrong this week, so what's another instance?

If there's give in the button before it registers a click, as reported here, unless there's a game that we know would take advantage of that, the Joycons having or not having analogue triggers cannot be confirmed in either case. This is information that can only come from game software that utilizes them or directly from Nintendo themselves.

If it is true, what's the difference between digital and analog triggers? I know the GC came in with analog triggers, but many people are discounting the possibility that Nintendo found a way to bridge compatibility regardless of digital triggers. As far as I know, this would mean racing games would be shafted due to the lack of pressure sensitivity.

Top Bottom