• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch has digital triggers... so no GCN VC?

Rootbeer

Banned
Regardless of rather they give us new Joycons that add this functionality, or if they give us enhanced ports that alter controls for the Switch... I hope that we can have the entire Mario 64 / Sunshine / Odyssey trilogy playable on the Switch when all is said and done.

Alphahawk

Weren't the "analog" triggers on the Gamecine just two buttons in one. I don't recall any games where it had more than two inputs.

Something like Mario Sunshine would be easy to implement by having just a "stand and shoot" button.

brad-t

Because Nintendo apparently don't want other companies racing games on their system or open world games like GTA to compete with. They don't need them so they're not going to implement them for third parties because they want people buying their games.

Jesus christ.

Analog triggers take up a sizeable amount of space in a traditional controller. Seems like it would be tough to fit them into the Joy-Cons.

Portugeezer

There's a difference between making a sequel work with a new control scheme (since, you know, you can just change the game) and doing the same with an untouched emulated title, where you're talking about nonsense like mapping the GCN triggers to 6 different buttons.
You mean one guy is talking about that? Also there is no reason these have to be untouched emulations, don't be so obtuse.

Somnid

F-zero GX is the only game I can think of that would be rendered with playability problems. GCN adaptor and GCN Joycon are possible, but I think the expense would really cap what Nintendo could make from it.

Vena

The leak suggested NERD, iirc, so I'd imagine the Virtual Console implentation here is going to be going for a more updated, robust emulation given NERD's other works and abilities to make good emulation. They may well simply be working to circumvent analogue triggers entirely by changing parts of the games, though I am unsure how.

That or the triggers are analogue but no game actually cares at current and its impossible to tell because of *reasons*. Though I highly doubt that one.

Or they'll enable the GameCube Adapter, and/or release analogue enabled joy-cons or some such.

The GCN is actually much more of a "classic console" than the N64 was at Wii's launch. 15+ years and three generations old vs 10 and two generations. It would be nuts if we don't get GCN, but then Nintendo soooo

I thought someone said the Joycons were analog and the Pro Controller was digital in a thread yesterday. Guess I misread it...dang.

I know this might not be 100% related to the topic but can't they modify controls? They did this for the release of Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on 360 since some controls relied on pressure sensitivity in mgs 2 and 3.

They can, and they did something similar on the Wii's N64 VC, with rearranging C-Buttons depending on the particular game. The thing is, no one has a good idea how to rearrange the controls for some particularly extreme uses of analog triggers in a non-intrusive way, and when you're doing something intrusive, you could just port the whole thing instead.

You mean one guy is talking about that? Also there is no reason these have to be untouched emulations, don't be so obtuse.
I'm not being obtuse. Nintendo almost never alters these games except with extremely rare instances, and has never once altered gameplay.

What exact, reasonable changes that Nintendo would conceivably enact do you propose?

what other acceptable solutions are there? the hardware is pretty much set in stone and shipping in 6 weeks. Complaining without offering a solution is just wasted effort.

Clearly the system isn't made with it in mind so there will be no games that will benefit from it. That's my take.

I'm betting the main reason we aren't getting GCN VC is so Nintendo can start releasing GCN/Wii remasters to help ease the dry spells. Just be prepared to spend $40 for your HD Metroid Other M though...

suaveric

I was listening to RFN and they had a developer on who said the triggers were analong. At least that's what I remember.

Scoobie

But you are wrong.

I've just looked at some pics of the joy con triggers again and yes i admit looks like i was way off my initial impression.

Think it was the shape of the trigger that made it look analogue to me but when you look at it closely there isn't actually much room for the trigger to move before it would touch the case, so guess digital it is :eek:

TLZ

Banned
what other acceptable solutions are there? the hardware is pretty much set in stone and shipping in 6 weeks. Complaining without offering a solution is just wasted effort.
Here's an easy one; don't buy it. Doesn't mean you won't but it's a solution that keeps your pocket happy for now. :)

RikuDawn

People keep saying they don't want to pay $80 for Cube JoyCons. But I'd imagine they'd be cheaper as long as they cut out the HD rumble and motion sensing crap. Though I'd hope you'd be able to use them for more than just Cube VC.

tronic307

Does Sony have the patent on rubber switch analog triggers or something? Analog triggers took up a lot of space inside the original Classic Controller so I don't think that would have fit inside the JoyCon. Nintendo got sued out of using mechanical analog triggers at one point in the middle of the Wii era but didn't they destroy the plaintiffs in that case? Must have if they made GC controllers again for Smash.

My wild guess: they are going to release a cheap GameCube version of there L and R Joy-Cons that mimic the GameCube controller layout. What makes it cheaper than the $80.00 Joy-Con sets you see on Amazon? It won't have any of that crazy expensive tech the originals have. If you are using it to just play GameCube VC games or any of the Smash games you won't need HD Rumble, Gyro, NFC or IR. I think they will release other Nintendo themed console Joy Con controllers in a similar fashion with all the fancy tech stripped out to save on cost.

Scrawnton

I'm betting the main reason we aren't getting GCN VC is so Nintendo can start releasing GCN/Wii remasters to help ease the dry spells. Just be prepared to spend $40 for your HD Metroid Other M though...

And the cycle continues.... this was the same thing we said about Wii U when it had a drought, turns out nintendo didnt care and was perfectly fine not releasing a first party retail game for six months straight.

I was listening to RFN and they had a developer on who said the triggers were analong. At least that's what I remember.

was it lastnight's live show? do you have a link?

Sure, I'll accept this. Vita didn't have analog triggers either, right? They'd probably take up a good amount of space in the already-packed joycons. That said, there is still no excuse for their omission on the Wii U. Idk what Nintendo is thinking by avoid them, as they're a very important part of controller design. I mean, a digital click at the end I feel is important too, for actions like firing a weapon that don't really require fine tuning, but why can't we have both?

#FreeGamecubeVC

they really need to do it because another gen of nes,snes,N64, ds games is just zzzzzzz

easy money too since a lot of those games are going up in value used so price it $15-$20 and you will make money

It's probably not going to preclude GCN VC (I sure as heck hope not)... but it does undermine my hopes for the switch being a portable gamecube, essentially.

If I can't use the right trigger to walk and run in REmake... I'm not sure I want a portable REmake as much as before.

TLZ

Banned
Pro Controller is analogue. Joy Con are not pure digital, might be different kind of analogue. Would not take this as confirmed in any way right now. It's apparently hard to tell on the JoyCon but obvious analogue on Pro.
Have you tried it?

People who did all say no analog.

Revven

F-zero GX is the only game I can think of that would be rendered with playability problems. GCN adaptor and GCN Joycon are possible, but I think the expense would really cap what Nintendo could make from it.

This is incorrect. Melee has an entire mechanic tied to the analogue triggers. Powershielding, otherwise more known as Perfect Shielding in the later games, was a mechanic in that game where if you half-pressed the shield button you would bring up a bigger and more transparent shield. Not only is the shield bigger but it's also how you reflected projectiles back at people (though it's not easy to do consistently because it's a 1 frame technique). This mechanic not only matters for that reflection part but a lot of meta stuff in advanced play and half-pressing the triggers in general can be used (iirc) for other aspects of more advanced play as well.

Which would be incredibly crucial for a 100% perfect Melee "HD".

Sunshine also relies pretty heavily on the analogue triggers for FLUDD. And I believe even Luigi's Mansion makes use of them as well and it matters a lot for that game, in terms of how powerful the vacuum's suctions are, I think?

Scrawnton

This is incorrect. Melee has an entire mechanic tied to the analogue triggers. Powershielding, otherwise more known as Perfect Shielding in the later games, was a mechanic in that game where if you half-pressed the shield button you would bring up a bigger and more transparent shield. Not only is the shield bigger but it's also how you reflected projectiles back at people (though it's not easy to do consistently because it's a 1 frame technique). This mechanic not only matters for that reflection part but a lot of meta stuff in advanced play and half-pressing the triggers in general can be used (iirc) for other aspects of more advanced play as well.

Which would be incredibly crucial for a 100% perfect Melee "HD".

Sunshine also relies pretty heavily on the analogue triggers for FLUDD. And I believe even Luigi's Mansion makes use of them as well and it matters a lot for that game, in terms of how powerful the vacuum's suctions are, I think?

Which makes this whole situation ironic. Multiple new sites reported on gamecube virtual console games launching with these three games and here we are with the Switch not having analog triggers. Its baffling. Seriously, eurogamer needs to get in contact with their source and be like "wtf?"

My wild guess: they are going to release a cheap GameCube version of there L and R Joy-Cons that mimic the GameCube controller layout. What makes it cheaper than the $80.00 Joy-Con sets you see on Amazon? It won't have any of that crazy expensive tech the originals have. If you are using it to just play GameCube VC games or any of the Smash games you won't need HD Rumble, Gyro, NFC or IR. I think they will release other Nintendo themed console Joy Con controllers in a similar fashion with all the fancy tech stripped out to save on cost.

I would actually be ok with this, but they would need 6 to 7 a year. We all know they won't have that many ready to go in most likely two years. I would have preferred if this was what they decided to do, that they had one ready for launch.

NimbusD

I seriously don't get Nintendo. It motion sensor... Nfc in joycon not in console... Yet no analog trigger? Really mind boggling decisions.

jett

D-Member
Analog triggers are honestly an absolute waste for nearly every game that isn't a racing game, so this is really fine. Guess not so fine for those that believed the Melee/Sunshine rumors. :p

Although I don't understand why the buttons on the Switch have "give" to begin with. Should be just normal buttons.

I would actually be ok with this, but they would need 6 to 7 a year. We all know they won't have that many ready to go in most likely two years. I would have preferred if this was what they decided to do, that they had one ready for launch.
I am not sure about there VC plans, but I imagine they wouldn't have any issues releasing GameCube and SNES Joy-Cons sometime this year after the console releases. I imagine they would either have a Direct about the console themed Joy-Cons or make it a big deal at E3 after the Switch has been out for 3 months. Lol, at least I hope it works out like this. You never know what Nintendo will do.

Scrawnton

I am not sure about there VC plans, but I imagine they wouldn't have any issues releasing GameCube and SNES Joy-Cons sometime this year after the console releases. I imagine they would either have a Direct about the console themed Joy-Cons or make it a big deal at E3 after the Switch has been out for 3 months. Lol, at least I hope it works out like this. You never know what Nintendo will do.

You would've hoped they'd do what was necessary to make their console super attractive out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, I am getting it at launch and its already preordered, but its like they're not even trying. What exactly do they have all of their employees for?

Maffis

Will the WiiU pro controllers work on the switch? I recently bought 2 but man it'd suck if they didn't work since they cost like 100 bucks.

Scrawnton

Will the WiiU pro controllers work on the switch? I recently bought 2 but man it'd suck if they didn't work since they cost like 100 bucks.

All Switch controllers have motion as a standard, the wii u pro controller does not so I am going to say no.

Top Bottom