• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is my first 'at launch' console since the PS2

I think I'm directly between where the OP is and the exact opposite.

I'm getting it at launch mostly because of the future lineup. Not even the future Nintendo lineup. Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo games besides Zelda and Mario Kart. I'm going to play the Xenoblade games this year sometime and hopefully be excited for Xenoblade 2.

But it's the prospect of Japanese third party devs latching on to this and not PS4 that worries me into getting a Switch.

I know I don't have to get it at launch, but I'll at least get some use out of it (having never owned a Wii or Wii U) with Zelda and MK.

ISwitch sales figures compared to NDS will not be a pretty sight at all.
Switch will destroy the original DS, the original DS was a sales dud and GBA consistently outsold it. The DS was all but dead before the 1-2 hit combo of Brain Age and DS Lite.

If you think the original pre-Brain Age/DS Lite was a success...you are living in a alternative reality.

The original "phat" DS was a underwhelming sales disappointment across the board till Brain Age and DS Lite. This isn't even up for debate man.

Yeah, but if you compare the tens of millions that the NDS sold in its lifespan with, say, the 2 million Switches sold in the first weeks, the Switch number is downright embarrassing!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Switch sales figures compared to NDS will not be a pretty sight at all.
It will be tough to compare. DS launched in November/December, the best season, in 2 regions. It did 2,84 millions. Switch could sell as much in 3 regions by the end of March, at best.

DS is the best selling system of all time though, so it's pretty evident Switch won't reach its numbers at twice the entry price.

I also loved the DS launch. With the Gameboy, Wii and Dreamcast, Switch is the system that has captured my imagination the most.

Symbiotx

It sounds like you kinda just don't like Nintendo lol. Here's the thing:

*Horizon runs at 30 FPS. You want High visual fidelity in an open world? Expect 30 FPS. there are games still being release at 900p on X1. So we may be a few more years off.

**The console isn't directly competing. That's the whole selling point, being a portable home console. Directly competing would be making a Nintendo system that challenges the Specs of the PS4 (Pro) and XB1 (Scorpio).

The PS4 and XB1's gimmick is being a multimedia center that pushes out High Fidelity gaming in a traditional sense, without the "hassles" that you would get going PC instead. The trade off is that you may not have the absolute best best looking games available, but you also aren't spending an arm and a leg to get there, and they are darn near close enough.

The Switch's gimmick is versatile gaming, where it be where you play or how you play. the trade off is that you just can't get the power of a traditional home console while keeping it portable, due to bottlenecks in technology such as battery and proper heat distribution.

*** Saying you can't replace your ps4 because it has blu ray playback is funny. You can just buy a blu ray player.

****The games you listed aren't full price. But I can't argue the prices being too high if you don't find value in the product. However, it can be argued if 1,2 switch is a tech demo. It's more of a hybrid of digital and analog gaming.

***** Yeah Zelda is the system seller. But that's how console launches work. The company tries to get one game that would get gamers to validate the cost of entry and then provide a "support" cast of games to sweeten the pot. Even though in this case the cast is pretty small lol.

Also, you don't really need to add a bunch of subjectively negative qualifiers to things to try to further spin your stance. let your debate stand on it's own with trying to sway the readers by calling things "trash" and "crappy".

His reasons are valid. Being unhappy with the technical limitations and pricing schemes does not mean he just doesn't like Nintendo.

lol you bring up Horizon because it's only 30fps... but it won't dip below that, and that's 30fps at 4k on the pro. Yes, games are lower than 1080 on xbone, but that console had a technical limitation and was released in 2013. You're comparing that to a brand new console in 2017.

Just sayin.

So how long do you guys think it will take for Nintendo to push out another shipment of units after release date? I doubt I'll be able to find one at release. Some people/stores say April, but they're not entirely sure.

His reasons are valid. Being unhappy with the technical limitations and pricing schemes does not mean he just doesn't like Nintendo.

lol you bring up Horizon because it's only 30fps... but it won't dip below that, and that's 30fps at 4k on the pro. Yes, games are lower than 1080 on xbone, but that console had a technical limitation and was released in 2013. You're comparing that to a brand new console in 2017.

Just sayin.

Yeah, the first guy is the voice of reason here.

Come on now.

Jacce

Banned
I remember after I played through Super Mario 64 DS I went and bought the mediocre (for me at least) Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits because I was starved for games and Pictochat just wasn't cutting it.
Yeah, his statement that the DS was this great & successful launch is one of the most absurd things I have ever seen. DS's launch was a disaster across the board. All it had was a Mario 64 port for months on end outside of gimmicky touch screen software. Sales reflected this, it quickly fell back behind GBA (and PSP once it launched).

Gutss

Im seeing alot of ps4 and vita owners here getting the switch thats a great sign, as for me 3rd world country am cry still no switch to be found here.

Kureransu

Just sayin.

What are you saying exactly? 30fps is 30fps. He said we shouldn't be hearing the word in 2017. We will. that's the compromise of going with higher fidelity visuals. And in the DF early pro preview of horizon, the game dipped as low as 25 FPS, so let's not be so quick to assume.

And no, you're comparing the switch to a traditional home console, which isn't fair because the switch isn't a set top box like the other two are. It's a portable home console. You may want to classify it as the same thing, but trust me it's now.

The best analogy to describe this is buying a home phone (corded), vs a cell phone (not a smart phone, just a regular dumb cell phone). The home is much cheaper, and is over all will perform better on a consistent basis all around. The Cell phone smaller, portable, and may not perform as well consistently do things like area, and has a battery to worry about. Because cell phones aren't tethered to a wall, people don't mind paying the extra premium, despite not having the consistently great call quality the home phone has. These days you'll be hard pressed to even find a person with a home phone. Think about that. I think you underestimate what people are willing to sacrifice in the name of convenience.

buttdiver

Personally, I just feel I'm getting an awesome deal so it feels like a reasonable launch purchase.

Got $15 off the system due to a pricing error pricematch at Walmart

and

Zelda BOTW + Pro Controller for $99 thanks to BestBuy's $25 off $100 VISA checkout

Every time I read someone saying Nintendo is underpowered in one of these threads and all the anti-Nintendo rhetoric, it sounds like someone telling me that President Obama really came from Kenya.

I mean seriously. I rarely read shit posting in PS4 threads about how it is underpowered compared to PC. I did see a lot of "underpowered" shitposting on Microsoft threads.

There's valid reason though. People don't compare a PS4 to the PC as being underpowered because software is developed with the PS4 in mind. It's their primary focus. This is why you see a major uptick in PC games visually when a new generation is launched. Financially it makes sense for third party developers to focus and cater their design around consoles and then PC as secondary. So that's why it's not a big deal when comparing a PS4 to a PC. You still get PC people complaining the PS4 is underpowered, but the end result means it's not as big of a deal.

On the flip side, the fact that developers do focus on the PS4/XO as their primary targets means the Switch being drastically below those other platforms means it makes it harder to port down. It's way easier to port up to a more powerful system, but they'll all in likelihood not bring those games down to the level of the Switch which in turn creates a gulf in third party support. That power gap hinders the Switch from getting third party games where as the power gap between a PC and PS4 does not.

Being worried about third party support being limited in some way because of the performance level of the system is a valid thing to be worried and not happy about.

I wonder how many WiiU owners do actually have them in their living room. In this day and age, I don't know many families who gather in a living room to watch TV let alonE, play video games. Especially when homes now typically have many TVs and other devices in them for this stuff.

Is this a serious question? Really?

Yeah, I think I am done with launch-day console purchases. Even if you just wait a year you will have a happier beginning. You will have three or four great games to play, they will be cheaper because they will be used, and the first run of games that have actually been developed for the console, and given the appropriate development time, will start to release. Wait two years and you will be golden.

This line of thinking still doesn't make any sense to me. If you're going to pay $300 for a console, why would it hurt you more to buy it now instead of a year later. You're still spending the money. The difference is you get to play the system for a year longer versus not playing it at all. I'd rather have that additional play time because I gain nothing by waiting.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Pulled the trigger on Arms, Mario Kart 8 and Spla2n... guess I'm all in now :X

so far, year 1 for me:
zelda botw
1-2-switch
binding of isaac
puyo puyo tetris
mario kart 8
arms
spla2n

didn't order mario odyssey but unless that gets delayed, i'll get that too

Nick

I just cancelled my amazon pre-order of the Switch. While there is roughly 3 or 4 launch title games that look good (out of 5 launch games, lol-worthy), I refuse to be burned by Nintendo ever again. If there's no 3rd party support, and it's obvious there isn't, I'm not buying your consoles ever again.

I'm in day 1 because of Zelda. Not really that interested in the hardware, I would rather play it on PS4 or PC but it is what it is (for now).

Spman2099

This line of thinking still doesn't make any sense to me. If you're going to pay $300 for a console, why would it hurt you more to buy it now instead of a year later. You're still spending the money. The difference is you get to play the system for a year longer versus not playing it at all. I'd rather have that additional play time because I gain nothing by waiting.

The console will be cheaper, the games will be cheaper, and you won't feel burned by a system sitting on your shelf just taking up space. The first year for a new console is usually pretty weak (this is especially true with Nintendo over the last three generations). The Switch looks to have an especially weak first year. Everyone would probably be better off waiting.

The console will be cheaper, the games will be cheaper, and you won't feel burned by a system sitting on your shelf just taking up space. The first year for a new console is usually pretty weak (this is especially true with Nintendo over the last three generations). The Switch looks to have an especially weak first year. Everyone would probably be better off waiting.

Nintendo games tend not to go cheaper and they tend to go out of print. In a year, the console won't be cheaper. In two years, maybe it will be cheaper, but by how much? $50? Save $50 and miss out on two years of usage? That's a small $2 a month. Feeling burned by a system sitting on the shelf taking up space? Why would I feel burned if I'm going to buy the system anyway and play the games as they come? The last part about feeling burned is just weird if you plan to own the system anyway or get it later on anyway. The alternative is to simply not have it available to play and you'll play something else or play nothing. Having it means I still play something else during down time. There's no real gain from waiting, especially if you wait only a year and pay $300 anyway. The only difference is you'll lose that year of usage.

ThEoRy...

I've never bought a console day 1. Closest I've been is with the Dreamcast. I think I got that within the first month approximately. I think it was a good decision. Had a decent launch lineup with enough content to keep me playing as new stuff came out. At the end of the day it's ultimately your decision op. If you think it's worth it, then go for it.

Spman2099

Nintendo games tend not to go cheaper and they tend to go out of print. In a year, the console won't be cheaper. In two years, maybe it will be cheaper, but by how much? $50? Save $50 and miss out on two years of usage? That's a small $2 a month. Feeling burned by a system sitting on the shelf taking up space? Why would I feel burned if I'm going to buy the system anyway and play the games as they come? The last part about feeling burned is just weird if you plan to own the system anyway or get it later on anyway. The alternative is to simply not have it available to play and you'll play something else or play nothing. Having it means I still play something else during down time. There's no real gain from waiting, especially if you wait only a year and pay $300 anyway. The only difference is you'll lose that year of usage.

I wouldn't say you are "losing a year of usage"; all told, it will probably go unplayed for a large segment of that year.

I think there is a very good chance that the Switch will be cheaper in a year. At the very least, you will be able to pick up a favorable bundle within a year. During the holidays there will absolutely be solid deals. As for the games not dropping in price, you can at least find used copies. All told, you could probably end up saving a couple hundred dollars (if you pick up four or five games), while simultaneously getting a console with enough games to keep you busy for some time.

If you want it launch day, you want it launch day. But you are paying extra to get it earlier, and the numbers simply don't work for me.

I think there is a very good chance that the Switch will be cheaper in a year. At the very least, you will be able to pick up a favorable bundle within a year. During the holidays there will absolutely be solid deals. As for the games not dropping in price, you can at least find used copies. All told, you could probably end up saving a couple hundred dollars (if you pick up four or five games), while simultaneously getting a console with enough games to keep you busy for some time.

If you want it launch day, you want it launch day. But you are paying extra to get it earlier, and the numbers simply don't work for me.

The Wii U never really had much of a price drop. You didn't save anything by waiting. I've already paid $36 each for Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario Odyssey. I've paid $30 for 1 2 Switch and Bomberman. I'm paying $24 for Puyo Puyo Tetris. All of those will be the price I pay on release day. I'm not going be saving too much if anything at all by buying used on many of those games. You're way overestimating the savings by waiting, and what you give up by waiting. What little you do save is at the cost of how much time you've lost using it. $2 to $4 a month for two years is a minuscule cost savings.

Spman2099

The Wii U never really had much of a price drop. You didn't save anything by waiting. I've already paid $36 each for Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario Odyssey. I've paid $30 for 1 2 Switch and Bomberman. I'm paying $24 for Puyo Puyo Tetris. All of those will be the price I pay on release day. I'm not going be saving too much if anything at all by buying used on many of those games. You're way overestimating the savings by waiting, and what you give up by waiting. What little you do save is at the cost of how much time you've lost using it. $2 to $4 a month for two years is a minuscule cost savings.

Time lost using it seems like a weird argument to me. If you end up playing the games you want to play to completion it doesn't matter when you do it. Moreover, if you have that year buffer there is a better chance that you will be able to have a steady stream of games to play on it. Less time with the console, but time more efficiently spent (especially if you have a PS4 and a drowning in amazing games at the moment).

Personally, a couple of hundred dollars isn't minuscule to me. Especially if there is no real cost to earning that savings, as the console in question would be largely unused otherwise. I was seeing the Wii-U being sold for a hundred dollars less six months after it launched (probably scalpers looking to ditch their failed investments).

I mean, there are surely some great reasons to get a Switch. Based on your situation, the hybrid nature may make it worth it instantly. Beyond that, some people are just fans that NEED the new Nintendo system. I just think most gamers would probably better holding off.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much more room for discussion on this topic. Both of us have presented our positions, I am sure both of us find the other's position to be ridiculous. That is fine; it happens. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I will happily post a topic on this a year from now, giving my breakdown of how much I paid for the Switch; articulating why, or why not, the wait was worth it (supported by numbers).

EmiPrime

In the US maybe.

UK retailers slashed £100 off the Wii U price less than 6 months after launch to shift inventory that wasn't selling. If the Switch flops on launch like the Wii U did there will be deals out there.

Time lost using it seems like a weird argument to me. If you end up playing the games you want to play to completion it doesn't matter when you do it. Moreover, if you have that year buffer there is a better chance that you will be able to have a steady stream of games to play on it. Less time with the console, but time more efficiently spent (especially if you have a PS4 and a drowning in amazing games at the moment).

Personally, a couple of hundred dollars isn't minuscule to me. Especially if there is no real cost to earning that savings, as the console in question would be largely unused otherwise. I was seeing the Wii-U being sold for a hundred dollars less six months after it launched (probably scalpers looking to ditch their failed investments).

I mean, there are surely some great reasons to get a Switch. Based on your situation, the hybrid nature may make it worth it instantly. Beyond that, some people are just fans that NEED the new Nintendo system. I just think most gamers would probably better holding off.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much more room for discussion on this topic. Both of us have presented our positions, I am sure both of us find the other's position to be ridiculous. That is fine; it happens. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I will happily post a topic on this a year from now, giving my breakdown of how much I paid for the Switch; articulating why, or why not, the wait was worth it (supported by numbers).

Using your logic, why wait 1 to 2 years? Why not wait until the console is at end of life where you'll save some real money since everyone will be dumping software and hardware at that point. At some point the time factor plays a role into the cost and how much you're saving.

Also pushing on the software angle, if you take a game like Mario Maker which was released a year and a half ago, the going rate for it is around $35 minimum shipped. I'm paying $36 for Nintendo first party games on release day. Is a year and a half wait worth saving $1 and not only that getting a used copy for just a $1 less and a year and a half later? I don't think it is. Maybe you do, but that $1 seems trivial over that time frame.

In the US maybe.

UK retailers slashed £100 off the Wii U price less than 6 months after launch to shift inventory that wasn't selling. If the Switch flops on launch like the Wii U did there will be deals out there.

Well based on what's going on in the UK, your prices are going up, not down. =)

Spman2099

Using your logic, why wait 1 to 2 years? Why not wait until the console is at end of life where you'll save some real money since everyone will be dumping software and hardware at that point. At some point the time factor plays a role into the cost and how much you're saving.

Also pushing on the software angle, if you take a game like Mario Maker which was released a year and a half ago, the going rate for it is around $35 minimum shipped. I'm paying $36 for Nintendo first party games on release day. Is a year and a half wait worth saving $1 and not only that getting a used copy for just a $1 less and a year and a half later? I don't think it is. Maybe you do, but that $1 seems trivial over that time frame.

Do you really think that a year later the most people will be able to save is a dollar or two? You are being very silly.

Do you really think that a year later the most people will be able to save is a dollar or two? You are being very silly.

On Nintendo first party titles? Ya. Look up games like Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros U, Super Mario Maker, and Hyrule Warriors. Mario Kart 8 is approaching 3 years old. Super Smash Bros U is 2 and a half years old, Super Mario Maker is a year and a half old, Hyrule Wariors is 2 and a half years old. They're going in the low to mid 30s at a minimum on eBay. I'm paying $36 for Nintendo first party Switch games on release date. It's not silly at all. Mario Maker I'd be saving about $1. Some of those other games $2 or $3. Is that buck or two worth waiting over 2 years?

Also you didn't address the other question. Why wait only 1 or 2 years rather than when the system lifespan is over and it's even way cheaper?

Spman2099

Also you didn't address the other question. Why wait only 1 or 2 years rather than when the system lifespan is over and it's even way cheaper?

Like, that is obviously a perfectly viable strategy as well. Personally, I think the benefit of waiting a year or two is that you don't miss much during the first year or so. You get to walk in and pick up the scant few games worth playing, beat them in a few weeks, and you are fully caught up (all for a lower price). The problem with waiting until a system is dead (which I have done in the past) is that you walk into a sizable backlog. Though, once again, I think it is a pretty savvy move.

Immediacy is going to be more important to some people than others.

I'm paying $36 for Nintendo first party Switch games on release date.

What am I missing here? Where are you finding these games on sale for so cheap?

Protome

So how long do you guys think it will take for Nintendo to push out another shipment of units after release date? I doubt I'll be able to find one at release. Some people/stores say April, but they're not entirely sure.

I'd assume they'd be stocking shelves at minimum every other week. But it's Nintendo, so who the hell knows. Maybe this first shipment will be the only shipment this year because reasons.

Top Bottom