• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Nindies Showcase 28 Feb 2017. 9 AM PT.

What about the trade off of achievements and a d-pad for a title like Shovel Knight?

TPdbrNY.png

D-pad is there if you want it but seeming as you don't care about indies:
Guess there's no surprises for people who don't care about indies.

I'm sure it makes no difference to you either way.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
TPdbrNY.png

D-pad is there if you want it but seeming as you don't care about indies:

I'm sure it makes no difference to you either way.
Purposefully ignoring the lack of a dpad on the joycon isn't a good look. If you want to play it portable you cant use a dpad, and even if you only care about tv play you have to fork out for a super expensive controller. It's an issue.

Purposefully ignoring the lack of a dpad on the joycon isn't a good look. If you want to play it portable you cant use a dpad, and even if you only care about tv play you have to fork out for a super expensive controller. It's an issue.

I'm not purposefully ignoring it, it's an option if he wants it.
To be fair, he was responding to someone talking about playing portably.

Ah my bad.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Jool Watsham has got an unannounced Switch title

Might get announced there

Hopefully there will be a release date for Yooka-Laylee there.

And it'll be cool to see what other indie games are coming to the system in the near future. Hopefully there are a lot of cool ones coming.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah but everyone hates a default controller where the dpad is actualy 4 separate buttons !

HVnMEEO.png
If the joycon dpad worked the way the dualshock dpad does there wouldn't be an issue. In fact I like that setup way more than Nintendo's usual dpads. Dualshock dpad is still one piece and you can feel it. It's not four separate buttons the way it is on a joycon.

Platy

Its not actually 4 separate buttons on the DualShock though...

If the joycon dpad worked the way the dualshock dpad does there wouldn't be an issue. In fact I like that setup way more than Nintendo's usual dpads. Dualshock dpad is still one piece and you can feel it. It's not four separate buttons the way it is on a joycon.

So the problem is that the X button does not goes up when you press the B button ?

psyfi

Banned
niiiiiice

I have zero hope in big third party pubs supporting Switch, but if indies are on board I'll be more than happy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Honestly I'm genuinely more interested in robust indie support than AAA stuff.

And as much as I love indie game exclusives on Nintendo systems I really hope that developers with more Steam and PSN/XBL hits start making ports

I would do unspeakable things for a Crypt of the Necrodancer port

There's nothing that can be done about the joy-cons dpad, it's that way for local multiplayer. Right now the only alternative is the pro controller but I imagine we'll see some joy-con varients in the future, hopefully one matching this patent:
joyk1.png

Perhaps it will even launch alongside Virtual Console.

Cave Story please
Undertale please

Cave Story is already confirmed, Undertale is more likely than not.

_PsiFire_

To be fair, he was responding to someone talking about playing portably.
You can use the pro controller while playing portably while in table top mode.

Thing is, I can take the Switch out of the house and play elsewhere. I can't play this on a PS4/XB1 while out and about so the tradeoff is OK IMO.

For someone like me, I'll be taking the Switch to work and playing on break. So bringing a pro controller with me isn't really an issue. And using the 4 separate buttons isn't so bad if I could only play in hand held mode. Otherwise I wouldn't be playing at all unless I'm home, on my couch, with access to my TV.

Drewboy64

I really hope Snipperclips is a launch title. Apparently it comes out March 3rd in Japan, according to IGN, so I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Cave Story is already confirmed, Undertale is more likely than not.

Ooh, Undertale likely? Where did you hear that? Not denying what you're saying is true, just really excited to play undertale on a handheld and wanna read up on it.

For people lamenting the lack of a dpad. I'm sure some 3rd party peripheral producer will offer a small silicone dpad cover. I mean, you can even get analogue stick covers for the DS4, so this should be a no brainer.

Ooh, Undertale likely? Where did you hear that? Not denying what you're saying is true, just really excited to play undertale on a handheld and wanna read up on it.

Sorry for the late reply, in February of last year Toby Fox was approached by Nintendo to bring Undertale to Wii U or 3DS but neither system supports Game Maker. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they made adjustments to get the engine on the Switch or even hired a team to remake the game. Here's an article detailing more about Nintendo and Toby's interaction:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...ng-to-nintendo-consoles-toby-fox-responds.htm

There's nothing that can be done about the joy-cons dpad, it's that way for local multiplayer. Right now the only alternative is the pro controller but I imagine we'll see some joy-con varients in the future, hopefully one matching this patent:
joyk1.png

Perhaps it will even launch alongside Virtual Console.

I'd personally prefer this:

15178984-49hiuuc.png

It's basically like a little dinky SNES controller. Would be really handy for playing 2D games with friends.

Top Bottom