• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Nindies Showcase 28 Feb 2017. 9 AM PT.

phanphare

Banned
Vern kind of implied Nintendo had secured Owlboy for Switch and well there's not much reason to doubt him nowadays...

oh man, another perfect fit for the Switch. gorgeous pixel art on that screen will be amazing. pretty much any 2D game I'm going to be playing solely in handheld mode.

ITSMILNER

You know what would be a good get for Switch? Towerfall! Being able to play multiplayer using the individual Joycons seems like a no brainer

Glad to see indies onboard with Switch and Nintendo helping support them. I hope Nintendo supports them even more than they are now by providing funding and publishing Physical copies to some key indies.

I think a game like Fast RMX would have benefited from a Physical release at launch.

LordKano

What kind of game is Owlboy?

2D Metroidvania, with Zelda elements. You play as a little mute owl, and you travel across the world to save your friends. The striking point of the game is how amazing it looks :
2879427-ss_e49871a898aec8c8c30290eff66f421a792d3fc2.jpg
ss_e0d1f99cbb2dc0bef23c00f289ca2396a976559d.0.jpg

tumblr_nwwakgKCpU1tliyz4o8_500.gif

I personally recommand it a lot. With Stardew Valley, they were the two best games I've played last year.

2D Metroidvania, with Zelda elements. You play as a little mute owl, and you travel across the world to save your friends. The striking point of the game is how amazing it looks :

I personally recommand it a lot. With Stardew Valley, they were the two best games I've played last year.

I love that artstyle!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, right now, we know that GDC will see

- Devolver Digital's first Switch game (maybe Enter the Gungeon?)
- Jools Watsham said that "an Atooi logo will appear in a Nintendo's reel at GDC"
- an unannounced game played by Ash from Gamexplain that, if the transcription from the most recent podcast posted on Reddit is correct, should be announced on February 28th (it could also be Devolver Digital's title, for what we know)

Getting updates on Yooka Laylee, Stardew Valley + something like Owlboy announced would be sweet.

I won't be able to watch this live, though, unfortunately :lol

Cerium

Hoping for direct feed Snake Pass.

Game will probably be the most visually impressive third party title on Switch for a good long while.

essenn

This looks fucking amazing, wow

JonnyKong

I hope we get to see,

1) New Steamworld game
2) New game from the Affordable Space Adventures team
3) Updated Rusty the pup info

Having a robust selection of indies and a robust virtual console selection, in addition to the "bigger" games for Switch would probably make it one of my favorite consoles.

Just the idea of playing these retro style games on the Switch tablet is very alluring to me. Haven't played Owlboy or Stardew yet. Hoping for Undertale as well, but signs point to no.

There's nothing that can be done about the joy-cons dpad, it's that way for local multiplayer. Right now the only alternative is the pro controller but I imagine we'll see some joy-con varients in the future, hopefully one matching this patent:
joyk1.png

Perhaps it will even launch alongside Virtual Console.

Y'know, I don't know how likely it is given Nintendo's... ability to nickel and dime every VC release they can, but something about the JoyCons and your comment about it launching along with Virtual Console made me think.

What if Nintendo plans to release additional JoyCons specifically as Virtual Console controllers? So the JoyCon L with a D-Pad would be for NES and SNES games, and a JoyCon set with analog triggers could be made for GCN, and to soften the blow and/or provide incentive for people to actually buy them, they could come with a coupon for a free game from the JoyCon's respective system, or (more likely) a timed trial of their Online system with access to the free monthly game?

I'm really curious how Nintendo will offer additional JoyCons in the future. You'd think a JoyCon with a D-Pad would need a set because otherwise you'd have an odd number of JoyCons, but you also really don't need another JoyCon R if you're just buying it for the D-Pad instead of the D-Buttons on JoyCon L. Or would they make a set where both sides have D-Pads instead of the buttons? Will they continue to make mis-matched color sets going forward, requiring multiple sets to get solid colors (ie Splatoon Switch with Pink/Green JoyCons, then a reversed set sold separately) or will they only do solid pairs in the future to reduce the number of SKUs stores need to make space for?

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with the Nindies topic, your post just got the gears a-crankin. I'm super pleased to see OwlBoy is gonna come to Switch. I can't wait for the 28th, I feel like recently I've been getting way more excited about indie games than traditional AAA titles just because they seem much more... personal? and also more experimental. Not that I don't want every Mario game Nintendo makes but it's so cool to see new stuff like Snake Pass too that Sony or MS or even Nintendo may not make themselves, let alone larger 3rd party devs.

LordKano

I hope we get to see,

1) New Steamworld game
2) New game from the Affordable Space Adventures team
3) Updated Rusty the pup info

New Steamworld game is definitely gonna be announced there. They teased it for quite some time now and said we're going to have news soon.

jonno394

Ok, GameXplain video is up, here's the direct link to the part in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMLp_BvaOy0#t=3m17s

Does sound rather positive that there was an embargoed event taking place last Friday with game(s) that can't be discussed and we'll find out this week what it was for. Still, it may or may not be switch though...my dream, a secret Mario Odyssey Demo available for Switch Day 1

AmyS

Are we likely to see the Switch versions of these games?

* Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom

* Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap

This looks like it would be a perfect fit for Switch handheld.

This looks like it would be a perfect fit for Switch handheld.

If Nintendo makes this thing (well, they did) and they don't take advantage of nostalgia more than ever, they're total fools. This thing is where the Virtual Console needs to be better than ever and they need to look like they do on say NES Classic rather than how dark and washed out they were on Wii U.

They could have something great here in regards to tickling that nostalgia, but they just need to actually get it done.

If Nintendo makes this thing (well, they did) and they don't take advantage of nostalgia more than ever, they're total fools. This thing is where the Virtual Console needs to be better than ever and they need to look like they do on say NES Classic rather than how dark and washed out they were on Wii U.

They could have something great here in regards to tickling that nostalgia, but they just need to actually get it done.

IIRC, there were rumors a while ago that the team that put together the NES Classic is also handling VC for Switch.

I thought that Nintendo and the guy who created Undertale were in talks about this across?
There was some idle talk about a Wii U version a year or so back, but no more since then. I think some of Undertale's fundamentals just don't work away from the PC, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if it got no further than that.

Toby Fox has been working on a new project for a while now. I wonder how far from seeing the light of day that thing is.

Pokemaniac

I thought that Nintendo and the guy who created Undertale were in talks about this across?

There are two big obstacles to porting Undertale. One is that, unless Game Maker Studio officially supports the Switch, Toby Fox is likely not going to be able to port the game by himself.

The other is that there are certain bits of the game that would almost certainly cause it to fail certification. Those will either need significant reworking and/or some special exceptions granted by Nintendo.

IIRC, there were rumors a while ago that the team that put together the NES Classic is also handling VC for Switch.

Sounds great. I just don't want another Wii U incident. I liked the VC on the first Wii, but it was just... well, very underwhelming on Wii U in a number of ways. Those older games deserve to shine and be available for purchase and playable on that hot screen and not look washed out.

Top Bottom