• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Controller works nativley with PC

MUnited83

For you.
But that doesn't allow gyro usage, right? I like the trackpads on the Steam controller but the gyro does all the heavy lifting, so it's critical to me to have that supported. There are times when I just want to use a normal controller without the Steam pad's wonkiness but can't without giving up motion, and this looks like a good answer.

Good point. Yeah, they would need to add full support for it to use the Gyro, afaik.

GOAT controller incoming?

I JUST realized it has rubber grips like the Xbox One controllers. Bomberman at launch might have to wait lol.

Rocket League.

Rocket League and Grand Theft Auto 5 benefit from these. Perennial top 10 games. I'm not familiar with many of the game games.

The only question that needs answering is: Why limit game design? Analogue triggers are standard on the other platforms, all you're doing by not including them is limiting the possibilities of developers by not including them.

As for them being easy to accidentally trigger, that's a design issue of the controller - not of analogue buttons or triggers. There's no reason why they can't have a higher actuation point to avoid accidental presses.

Thanks, I usually play RPGs, FPS, and character action games. I've never played Rocket League, but it makes sense that it would control like a racing game,

And no, I don't have the same issue with my Xbox One controller... The DS4 analogue triggers are just really shitty and press just by setting the controller down, or resting it on your knee, or really, doing anything with the controller that doesn't consisted of keeping it held up and away from anything that can accidently brush against it.

GOAT controller incoming?

I JUST realized it has rubber grips like the Xbox One controllers. Bomberman at launch might have to wait lol.

In terms of battery it beats the Dualshock 4 and Xbox One and in terms of texture it beats the Wii U Pro Controller. Triggers may stop it from being a definitive controller but rumble capabilities and button layouts are major pluses.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Definitely a nice perk.

Too bad about the digital triggers, but that 40 hour battery life is bonkers.

Worst controller of this generation. I say that as a PS4, XB1, PC and soon Switch owner.

Also have the WiiU Pro controller, which is superb, so I'm expecting the Switch Pro to be as good or better.

That's subjective as the DS4 is the best controller ever to me. I say that as a PS4, XB1, and soon Switch owner.

That would be the Steam controller. =P

In what world? It's passable in situations in which you literally have no other way to play with a controller... other than that, it's garbage compared to a regular controller. No D-pad, face buttons are tiny and horribly placed.... It's only good as a mouse replacement.

Don't worry, I was sad when I realized I wasted money when I bought the Steam controller too.

giphy.gif

Arulan

In what world? It's passable in situations in which you literally have no other way to play with a controller... other than that, it's garbage compared to a regular controller. No D-pad, face buttons are tiny and horribly placed.... It's only good as a mouse replacement.

In every world where analog sticks continue to be a terrible way of aiming, controlling the camera, and cursor movement.

It's one flaw is that the D-pad emulation on the left pad isn't good enough to replace a real D-pad for games that need one outside of menu navigation. Mostly 2D platformers, fighting games, and the like.

As for the face buttons, my hands have never had a problem with their size or placement. I'll also say that a good config for a game will rarely, if ever, use them. One of the design goals for the controller was to avoid having to lift your right thumb off the pad. Between the back buttons, clicking in, analog/digital triggers, and the extensive amount of customization you can do, they're rarely needed.

In every world where analog sticks continue to be a terrible way of aiming, controlling the camera, and cursor movement.

It's one flaw is that the D-pad emulation on the left pad isn't good enough to replace a real D-pad for games that need one outside of menu navigation.

As for the face buttons, my hands have never had a problem with their size or placement. I'll also say that a good config for a game will rarely, if ever, use them. One of the design goals for the controller was to avoid having to lift your right thumb off the pad. Between the back buttons, clicking in, and the extensive amount of customization you can do, they're rarely needed.

Those track pads aren't actually better than analog sticks... They are worse than analog sticks when emulating an analog stick, worse than mouse when emulating mouse... So it's only really worth it if you refuse to use M/KB but still want to play M/KB games.

Beyond that, it's better to just use a regular controller for controller games and a mouse and keyboard for mouse and keyboard games.

Back on topic:

I'll have to try the new Pro Controller out, but if it's anything like the Wii U's, I'll definitely start using it for Dolphin. Getting tired of having to trick my PC into using the Wii U controller every time.

Now that the Nintendo pro controller has adopted asymmetrical layout, the dpad might not be as easy to use because of its placement. It's the issue I have with the Xbox one controller. I can use sticks in any configuration but not dpad

Other than that more options for pc!

Pizza

Oh man if the NFC scanner is picked up by the pc the Switch pro controller could retroactively make some Wii U games better on pc

It'd be great if I could have each controller's NFC chip act like the one on the gamepad! Stuff like amiibo party would be painless if everyone had an NFC chip in their lap

Arulan

Those track pads aren't actually better than analog sticks... They are worse than analog sticks when emulating an analog stick, worse than mouse when emulating mouse... So it's only really worth it if you refuse to use M/KB but still want to play M/KB games.

Beyond that, it's better to just use a regular controller for controller games and a mouse and keyboard for mouse and keyboard games.

That's a false dichotomy.

Yes, a mouse and keyboard is still the best input device for just about EVERY game. The few exceptions are those that require analog, such as flight sims and racing games. They have better specialized controllers for those too (HOTAS, racing wheel, etc.).

You're presenting a false choice of controller games or mouse and keyboard games. Unless the game forces analog onto you, which rarely happens anymore, then there is no reason to even bother emulating analog. It's also worth pointing out the the Steam controller has a mode that emulates analog while feeling similar to a mouse, but that's beside the point. If you want to play using the best input device, you're likely picking mouse and keyboard. But for whatever reason you want to use a controller, such as playing in the living room on a TV, then the Steam controller's pads are significantly better.

Anyways, I'm derailing the topic.

It's nice to see this controller work natively.

Anteo

I see Nintendo is getting ready to go third party huh?

Already have a wii u pro controller + adapter for pc, I dont need this for now

Cool just making sure. All the enthusiasm confused me greatly as I assumed most posters have an XOne or PS4.

I do plan to, and as a PC owner I see zero incentive to purchase more than one DS4 at the moment besides the PC usability factor. Multiple Nintendo controllers, that's almost a given.

deleted

Cool just making sure. All the enthusiasm confused me greatly as I assumed most posters have an XOne or PS4.

I have neither, have purchased a Switch Pro controller for launch and am happy that they connect to my PC too.

Hopefully the Steam Link will support them asap. I'm thinking of selling my Wii U including my Wii U Pro Controllers. Those were pretty much perfect for 2D gaming.

Awesome. What's the battery life?

Might replace the bluetooth Xbone controller with it. It's a good controller but I'm not a big fan of the updated bumpers. Bit too soft for my liking, and if this has a better battery life it's a no brainer. What are the bumpers like on it also?

My ideal controller needs a right track pad, grip/paddle buttons, gyro aiming, a dpad, and analog triggers. There is no perfect option for me.

jackal27

Banned
Now Steam has support for dinput controllers, so you can easily use a dinput controller as a xinput one, even on non steam games, emulators, etc.

Woah woah woah I did not know this! How does that even work? I had a HELL of a time trying to play Desperados with my GameCube adapter the other day.

Also curious for Android devices though. Although I'm not sure Xinput is even supported over Bluetooth. I use my Wii U Pro adapter for my Nvidia Shield.

QaaQer

FYI Most Bluetooth recievers add latency and have shitty antennas. That's why the MS and Sony PC dongles are gigantic.

Oh and you can use headphones & mics with those controllers on pc.

MoonFrog

Also have the WiiU Pro controller, which is superb, so I'm expecting the Switch Pro to be as good or better.

Will miss the in-line sticks....SNES controller and dual analog controller just by changing your grip. Switch controller setup is probably better for 3D exploration games, although I find it more comfortable to go down to the buttons on one side than I find it to go down to the d-pad on one side. Going down to the stick on one side isn't so bad either, depending on the stick. Maybe I'm just saying the various control schemes I'm used to are better...:p

Oh well, maybe Switch won't be so 2D platformer heavy as Wii U.

But Switch Pro has HD rumble, no? Wii U Pro controller is a little weak with rumble for my tastes.

But yeah I should get one of these for the docked Switch/PC. My PC controller is old.

That's a false dichotomy.

Yes, a mouse and keyboard is still the best input device for just about EVERY game. The few exceptions are those that require analog, such as flight sims and racing games. They have better specialized controllers for those too (HOTAS, racing wheel, etc.).

You're presenting a false choice of controller games or mouse and keyboard games. Unless the game forces analog onto you, which rarely happens anymore, then there is no reason to even bother emulating analog. It's also worth pointing out the the Steam controller has a mode that emulates analog while feeling similar to a mouse, but that's beside the point. If you want to play using the best input device, you're likely picking mouse and keyboard. But for whatever reason you want to use a controller, such as playing in the living room on a TV, then the Steam controller's pads are significantly better.

Anyways, I'm derailing the topic.

It's nice to see this controller work natively.

So... You realize that you just used a false dichotomy as the premise for accusing me of a false dichotomy.

You are refusing to knowledge that a large portion of major PC games are now ports of console games designed for analog sticks. Mouse and keyboard isn't inherently better in this case, especially when it's tacked on after the fact. It is, however, better than the Steam controller.

I've had the steam controller since it launched. I spent a few months with it, then went back to a regular controller and mouse and keyboard combination because it just wasn't better. I mean, it's good enough if that's all you have, but I'm not going to actively force myself to continue using a half-baked control scheme just because I spent money on it and it's different.

Pandy

Interesting, will give it a try sometime.

On the other topc being debated, I'd say the DS4 is absolutely the best Sony controller.
And that's about all I'd say for it.

Top Bottom