• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Controller works nativley with PC

iFirez

It's a really good controller, it is considerably better than the Wii U Pro Controller. The build, weight and sticks are so much better.

I may pick up a second controller later this year just for my PC. My only issue is the digital triggers for games that use analogue trigger controls.

So is the d-pad stiff with little travel like the first model of the Classic Controller on the Wii? That thing was impossible for fighting games. I hope it isn't that bad.

I can't believe Nintendo actually did it. I'm impressed, and very happy! Hope Valve adds official support to their API, I think Switch Pro + PC owners will really appreciate it.

I'm happy, but I'm also sad because I got a Steam Controller the other day...
Why? No grip buttons, no trackpad. The Steam Controller is still the best option on PC, you just have to give it a chance. Hit the community up on the Steam Controller thread if you need any help setting it up.

Fitts

Nice. Controller looks good. Interested in trying one and will make a (discounted) purchase if I'm impressed.

I hope I like the Switch Pro more than the Wii U Pro. It was... okay... and comfy, sure, but I found the Y and B buttons to be positioned too far in. Like my right thumb should, at least to me, naturally rest on the inward Y and B buttons, which I use for jump/attack for example, but on the Wii U Pro, my thumb naturally rests across the A and X buttons, and I'd have to reach in a bit further to get to Y and B.

If you understood any of that bullshit congrats you champion

Can it work over wired?
The guy in the video said he didn't get it to work wired, but when MHWilliams plugged the controller in last friday for his Switch preview it was listed in the devices just in this guy's vid. He didn't try to play a game with it.

No conclusive evidence either way right now.

When I plugged it in via the USB cable, it comes up as "Pro Controller", but the buttons and sticks don't do anything in a game or system menu.

Solid controller, all told. Feels like the Xbox One controller, but a bit more ergonomic. If it actually had analog triggers, it'd be pretty high on my list.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I need to check it out. My Xbone controller often loses connection from my PC (just like it did with the Xbox One). I'd love to swap it out for something more reliable.

Shengar

When I plugged it in via the USB cable, it comes up as "Pro Controller", but the buttons and sticks don't do anything in a game or system menu.

Solid controller, all told. Feels like the Xbox One controller, but a bit more ergonomic. If it actually had analog triggers, it'd be pretty high on my list.

I hope this mean it's possible to have a custom driver to make it work wired.
(I don't have Bluetooth dongle for PC)

sfried

ThisIsDelicious.gif

YES! YES!

Valve, if you can read this, please support this controller on your next Steam update or something.

Did you use the steam controller config or just see if it would detect it? Thanks for answering questions.

whj8Wnm.png
When wired, it shows up in Windows and Steam Big Picture as "Pro Controller", but the buttons are unresponsive.

Surprisingly, even plugged in, it'll default to the Bluetooth connection. I was playing Breath of the Wild, plugged it into my PC to test expecting it to switch over like an Xbox One controller. Oddly, it appears in Windows, but the inputs are still read by the Switch.

I wonder if it's sending data over the cable at all, or if the USB connection is power only.

This is great news. I would love to make this my PC controller, but I'm ignorant about some stuff.

It has no XInput support, so could that ever be added down the line, maybe? Driver update? Or would there have to be a revision?

I would have to buy a bluetooth dongle, too, if these wired posts are anything to go by.

This is great news. I would love to make this my PC controller, but I'm ignorant about some stuff.

It has no XInput support, so could that ever be added down the line, maybe? Driver update? Or would there have to be a revision?

I would have to buy a bluetooth dongle, too, if these wired posts are anything to go by.

Drivers will likely need to be made similar to the Mayflash adapter for the Wii U controller. However, Steam recently added support for a multitude of gamepads, and while I don't know exactly how it works, I believe it allows them to be recognized as Xinput, meaning they'll use Xbox button prompts in game. Presumably, the same can be added for this controller.

Skeletos311

When wired, it shows up in Windows and Steam Big Picture as "Pro Controller", but the buttons are unresponsive.

Surprisingly, even plugged in, it'll default to the Bluetooth connection. I was playing Breath of the Wild, plugged it into my PC to test expecting it to switch over like an Xbox One controller. Oddly, it appears in Windows, but the inputs are still read by the Switch.

I wonder if it's sending data over the cable at all, or if the USB connection is power only.

Probably power only. The Wii U one is power only too.

atr0cious

Already mentioned, but did the generic controller option work?

Wouldn't a racing wheel be superior?
For adjusting speed, not for steering. When games takes advantage of it for driving, analog triggers makes a big difference. Other than that, digital works fine, though I still think dual-stage (analog with a digital click at the end) like the Gamecube and Steam Controller work best.

Wookieomg

So I'm trying to get my Switch Pro Controller working with Steam via bluetooth but I'm having some problems.

It was detected at first, and I managed to change the button layout to match an XB360 controller layout, but it wasn't working properly in some games (specifically, Dark Souls 1 still sees the controller as Dinput, and Dark Souls 2: SotFS sees it almost identically to my Steam button configuration, except Start/Select are non-existent and L1/L2 are Start/Select instead.), so I disabled it and was going to try it again using the Generic Gamepad Configuration support instead of Dual Shock 4 which I had previously checked.

Since then, it hasn't been detected on Steam (also, it isn't being detected if I change which controller configurations are active, after closing and reopening Steam.) It's weird.

I've unplugged and plugged back in my bluetooth adapter, removed the device from Windows multiple times and reconnected it, but no dice.

Any advice?

Wow, looks like it's now a tossup between another DualShock 4 & the Switch Pro controller as to which will work best as a PC gaming controller (& which one I should get for it).

Wayoshi

I can't even get Bluetooth to recognize the controller on a Bluetooth 4 dongle on Windows 7. Seems very finicky what it will work with...

BashNasty

This is an absurd statement, but...

I'm sort of bummed that the Xbox Elite controller is so unassaliably amazing because I love the Switch pro controller and would love to be excited about using it with my PC but... I already have the Elite controller hooked up to my PC... and nothing can really touch that.

Vitacat

This is an absurd statement, but...

I'm sort of bummed that the Xbox Elite controller is so unassaliably amazing because I love the Switch pro controller and would love to be excited about using it with my PC but... I already have the Elite controller hooked up to my PC... and nothing can really touch that.

Ha, I feel the same way. But it's ok, we get to enjoy the Pro on the Switch where it's most at home anyway.

So. Switch Pro Controller in big picture mode works normally with all boxes in Controller Settings unticked. It works for some games at least. Stuff like Falcom games are Falcom games are fine. But I've tried Bayonetta and Quantum Break and it doesn't register my controller. I tried switching to Generic Gamepad Config Support ticked and restart big picture but it doesn't recognize my controller anymore period.

Not sure how to fix this but I've been at it for a few hours. I just want my Switch Pro controller to work on all games! Is this a problem for everyone, or?

Orayn

So. Switch Pro Controller in big picture mode works normally with all boxes in Controller Settings unticked. It works for some games at least. Stuff like Falcom games are Falcom games are fine. But I've tried Bayonetta and Quantum Break and it doesn't register my controller. I tried switching to Generic Gamepad Config Support ticked and restart big picture but it doesn't recognize my controller anymore period.

Not sure how to fix this but I've been at it for a few hours. I just want my Switch Pro controller to work on all games! Is this a problem for everyone, or?

I'm guessing that's a symptom of it being recognized as a generic DirectInput controller. It'll be that way until someone develops an Xinput wrapper like DS4Windows.

jackal27

Banned
I'm guessing that's a symptom of it being recognized as a generic DirectInput controller. It'll be that way until someone develops an Xinput wrapper like DS4Windows.
God I'm still phantasizing about this. Or just an adapter for Xinput would be great at this point. I love using my Wii U Pro adapter with my Nvidia Shield

saunderez

Have you tried enabling Generic Controller support them going into the controller configuration of a game and choosing the gamepad template? I've had instances where my 360 controller didn't have the gamepad template set which stopped it working in games that definitely support the 360 controller.

sfried

If somebody does write a wrapper, I hope they include the option to swap button layouts to match the XInput setup, or to leave it as is for certain games. I still go by the rightmost button as my confim button instead of the bottomost one (has always been this way since the Super Nintendo).

Top Bottom