• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch vs $329 iPad: Value Proposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

The Switch has the convenience of local multiplayer right out of the box which provides interactive social gaming with games like 1,2 Switch, Bomberman, Snipperclips, Just Dance 2017 and games to be released in the future like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2.

Can an iPad do anything like that?

Yeah, actually a lot of games have pass-n-play a many games even have both players controlling the screen at the same time.

Wasn't the OP one of the guys shitting up every Switch launch thread?

I don't understand the purpose of this hypothetical thread. If you want a media device get the iPad. If you hate mobile or want to play Breath of The Wild get a Switch.

If you define "shitting on" as "levying valid criticisms and concerns" and "every thread" as "some threads."

Yes, as well as a few threads about how he won't buy a switch.

I have an iPad. I read comics on it. That's it. I do everything else on my laptop. I'll play portable games on my switch .

I definitely have stated I won't be buying a Switch right now but most likely will when the value is there. So have hundreds of other posters, not sure how that's relevant here.

Does the iPad have The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild?

No but it does have games like

Binding of Isaac
Rome Total War
XCOM Enemy Within
Titan Quest
Papers, Please
FTL
Legend of Grimrock
Dungeons of the Endless
Desktop Dungeons
Banner Saga 1 & 2
Etc

..not to mention many classics like KoTOR and several remastered final fantasys.

The question becomes, is switch just a BoTW machine and if so what if one already owns a wii u and a copy of BoTW? Based on DF analysis the differences between the two version are negligable and in some circumstances the wii u version is even arguably better so its not like one is missing out on anything by purchasing there.

Crayon

Ipad vs survival buckets.

5_person_bucket_kit

This will keep you and yours alive for 2 weeks in the event of an emergency. You'd have to be a real cunt to put an ipad over the lives of your family.

Vintage

I'd personally go with ipad, much more utility apps, many times bigger library, way more uses than Switch, at least at the moment.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose I see where you're going with this thread (two tablets on the market for a similar price), but they offer different things. There's a reason more people own computers than consoles, and way more people have bought Apple and Android tablets than PS4 and XB1 launched (even almost certainly combined!). I wouldn't be surprised if more people bought computers that cost $400 and less in 2013 alone than PS4 and XB1 combined have sold today since launch. They serve different audiences, and general purpose machines like a computer appeal to a larger audience. Of course more people will buy an iPad than a Switch.

With the points you've listed, the same comparison could be made for every game console. No game console does what an iPad does for $329. But there is still value in those consoles that an iPad can't provide. So, for some people, they buy it. I'm not sure many of those people who think about buying a Switch at launch would consider an iPad an adequate replacement for and alternative to Switch.

As a poster on GAF, these two products don't overlap in my consciousness at all beyond being tech. Yes, for a general consumer, an iPad game might be good enough for entertainment, but for some people, a bike is also "good enough" and a car is not needed. They just do different things, and for some, Switch is a strong value proposition and an iPad is not. For others, the reverse is true. I'm also sure that some people see both as a good value and buy both.

Bluth54

Right now unless you absolutely must play Zelda on the Switch the value proposition for the Switch isn't that great and it's probably be best to wait for more games to come out.

Dragner

You have to try harder if you want to convince me of not getting a switch. Comparing apples to oranges wont gonna make it.

To be honest, I never understood the appeal of a tablet for gaming.
Phone ? Right we all have these and they fit your pocket.

As a portable device, GPD Win feels like a much better value considering it features all the games mentionned plus many more. And that's not even accounting emulation.

As for Switch, well it just got released. Of course it's not going to compare with games released years ago, but that's also the advantage of an established ecosystem.

Look at that huge list of games OP put in his post. Boy, if only i had thought, "Why would i buy this PS4 instead of an old tablet?" when the ps4 came out.

This is insanely stupid. There are Switch hate and fud threads, and then there is this.

Different devices have different value to different people. This reminds me of the argument non-readers had when ereaders came out. Why buy a Kindle whne you can get an iPad that can surf the web and play games? I don't want to do those things on this device, i want to read.

If you already have a smartphone, you already have access to tablet games. Why double down on that when you can play the beat rated game of this generation and Mario Kart next montth?

Sizzel

Eh - the Switch is a niche item and doesn't really have a substitute .. aka you buy the Switch because you want a Switch not because you want a singular gaming system and after careful consideration land on it. Do you want to play 99% Nintendo games? Switch. Do you want to play anything else? Pc/PS4/X1. it has something you cant get anywhere else, but only that. No apps , no internet, no 3rd party really.

iPad - is a better value proposition for most , but they are apples and oranges. iPad is for people who are interested in doing everything implicit in mobile (not portable like 3ds/vita) gaming and computing, except playing first party Non mobile Nintendo releases. Some Tablets are running the same Tegra X1 and they iterate regularly. They will be a time soon when they are more powerful than the Switch , already have more functionality, but they won't have the new Metroid prime. Weird question, but if I didn't have an IPad I would go IPad before Switch at this moment in time,

HotHamBoy

Look at that huge list of games OP put in his post. Boy, if only i had thought, "Why would i buy this PS4 instead of an old tablet?" When the ps4 came out.

This is insanely stupid. There are Switch hate and fud threads, and then there is this.

I actually provided that list merely as a counter-argument to the "mobile games" stigma.

I think the apples to oranges comparison is interesting because I'm pretty sure I'd be getting that response if the thread had been "Switch vs PS4"

The ipad is better value if you have to choose but you can't play many 'proper' games on it like you will eventually be able to do on switch in about 4 years from now.

When i next have a long plane ride, i will be taking switch and iPad. I dunno what I'll be playing on it after I finish Zelda till Mario lobs.

Razgreez

The tablet market is not doing very well (likely explains the reduced price of the ipad):

http://fortune.com/2017/02/02/tablet-market-crumble-apple-samsung/

I'm sure it was stated long before (launch of the switch) but the switch is seemingly aimed at a diminishing tablet market, diminished handheld market and a saturated console market. If it is successful it would be so because it bucked all the trends. Effectively another Wii situation and I doubt anybody sees that happening. Stranger things have happened though

Next thread:

"PS4 Pro vs $439 OnePlus 3T: Value Proposition"

Makes just about as much sense to compare the two.

So are you suggesting the switch is not in competition with the ipad? If its being marketed as a mobile console i would imagine that puts it in direct competition with anything in both the home console market and mobile handheld market.

I personally known people who considered buying a switch day 1 but opted to buy a tablet instead. The potential they may by a switch down the road is still there but when presented with both and being forced in a way to choose between them they ultimately chose tablet and their conclusion was that it will get more use as it has more utility..im not saying i disagree or agree with their position, i personally wouldnt buy an ipad over a switch but i wouldnt question somebody who would and your crazy to think people arnt torn between one or the other.

As long asswitch doesnt have a webbrowser this aint even worth a comparison

Also gaming on ipad just isnt great at all. Controls aside you have to manage limited space with those things (switch has cartridges and SD card support) which means that a lot of games will just be sitting on a list.
The tablet market is not doing very well (likely explains the reduced price of the ipad):

I'm sure it was stated long before (launch of the switch) but the switch is seemingly aimed at a diminishing tablet market, diminished handheld market and a saturated console market. If it is successful it would be so because it bucked all the trends. Effectively another Wii situation and I doubt anybody sees that happening. Stranger things have happened though

No its an answer to nintendos own problem, namely that they have seperated handheld and console teams
Eh - the Switch is a niche item and doesn't really have a substitute .. aka you buy the Switch because you want a Switch not because you want a singular gaming system and after careful consideration land on it. Do you want to play 99% Nintendo games? Switch. Do you want to play anything else? Pc/PS4/X1. it has something you cant get anywhere else, but only that. No apps , no internet, no 3rd party really.

iPad - is a better value proposition for most , but they are apples and oranges. iPad is for people who are interested in doing everything implicit in mobile (not portable like 3ds/vita) gaming and computing, except playing first party Non mobile Nintendo releases. Some Tablets are running the same Tegra X1 and they iterate regularly. They will be a time soon when they are more powerful than the Switch , already have more functionality, but they won't have the new Metroid prime. Weird question, but if I didn't have an IPad I would go IPad before Switch at this moment in time,
lets not kid ourselves. Switch will not have the next metroid anything

HotHamBoy

I'm fascinated by the Switch, tbh. But not compelled.

You would think that as a handheld lover, nintendo lover and someone who has own every Nintendo handheld that I'd already have a Switch. In theory it's a dream machine. But Nintendo has done everything they can to make me very comfortable playing "wait and see."

ggx2ac

Most of the board games I listed in the OP and some arcade stuff like PinWars.

That doesn't sound like a great rebuttal.

What games are there on an iPad that can I play on the same screen with another person that would be as good as Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros and Just Dance?

I play a lot of iOS games (mainly Out There and Dandy Dungeon) but if I had to choose between a tablet or a dedicated portable device, I would pick the latter every time.

Although touch devices can be great for certain types of game (e.g. Strategy, board games), there are more than a few that physical controllers are superior. I appreciate you mentioned about MFI controllers, but I don't personally find them elegant solution and feel they impinge onthe iPad's portability (the mileage will vary for others but when travelling, I have other kit that I need to carry so would prefer adding another piece.

I've also have three main issues with iOS games:

Developers not updating apps and resulting incompatibility has caused them to be pulled from the App Store, either temporarily or permanently - I've had my fingers burnt more than once.

Poor conversion of controls - often a weak spot of otherwise perfectly decent ports (e.g. Chrono Trigger).

Business model - I prefer paying for a game I want to play but for various reasons, butit's much more viable for mobile developers to use freeimum pricing with a knock-on effect on gameplay.

With regards to cost comparisons for devices, in the U.K., the entry iPad is £340 - quite a bit more than a Switch. However, personally I would need more storage and the next model up is nearly £100 more.

With games, I've found that I've wasted a lot more money on very cheap games than expensive ones. Although I've picked up some real bargains, ive realised that I have bought games on impulse because they were cheap (whether it was on a Steam sale or iOS) for the main virtue of the being inexpensive. When a game has cost more, I've put much more thought into the buying decision and on average, I've got far more out from the expensive purchases.

I haven't got a Switch yet but I will - I love the concept of playing handheld (which is often what I have most time for) and being able to switch to the big screen. As much as I love my iPad, I think Apple really dropped the ball in transitioning iOS into a gaming platform that worked in the living room space.

Septimius

I think the issue with this is, when discussing the value of a tablet as a way of playing games, that those that care about games to that extent likely won't just own an iPad. There are a few games that make sense on iPad, but many don't. The question is better asked when "what gaming needs does an iPad/Switch fill". I very rarely game on my iPad, so it doesn't really fill any gaming needs.

Peltz

That doesn't sound like a great rebuttal.

What games are there on an iPad that can I play on the same screen with another person that would be as good as Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros and Just Dance?
Nothing. To play Nintendo games you need a Nintendo system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom