• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switzerland-GAF |OT| If the Swedes can do something, so can we!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawly

Anyone know any cheap places to eat in Zurich? Had fondue with a girl and fuck me it cost a ridiculous amount, I don't give a fuck if its all you can eat, it's just bread and cheese.

Try the kebabs. Stay clear of Coop supermarkets.

patapuf

Anyone know any cheap places to eat in Zurich? Had fondue with a girl and fuck me it cost a ridiculous amount, I don't give a fuck if its all you can eat, it's just bread and cheese.

Honestly? If it's fondue i'd just do it myself.

Even "cheap" restaurants are quite expensive.

The ready made mixtures you find in migros and coop are quite good if you don't want to mix yourself (I like Gruyere-Vacherin) and take like 10-15 Minutes to get ready.

It's also an excellent meal to just sit and talk.

Sadly, i don't know Zürich well enough for restaurant recommendations. Even for Switzerland standards Zürichs an expensive place to eat out.

Edit: I just saw you are here on visit, Sry.

Bleepey

So yeah I enjoyed Zurich. It was pretty cool and the architechture reminded me a lot of Attack on Titan. The only thing that kinda ruined my trip was this incident with the police:

I was sitting on a bench after eating a sausage and I was just just minding my own business annoyed with my phone screen being unresponsive. Then these two Swiss officers in their blue uniforms approached me, and one started speaking German. I told him I don't speak German. He started speaking to me in English, and asked if I saw someone running down the road. If I knew the interrogation I'd get I would have told him I was playing with my phone and thus could give a description but about a minute prior I heard and saw someone's feet running the other way and if they fucked off they'd catch them. The officer then asked to see ID. I didn't have my passport on me and my phone was kinda fucked so I couldn't show any pics of my boarding pass or anything like that with ease. I could have asked why he was so keen on asking for my ID when I am quite clearly sitting next to a wall and minding my won business. However I feared my sassyness would at best leave him talking to me for longer than i wanted/need to and I didn't wanna get shot or talk to them for longer than I need to. So I just spoke to him politely and informed him that I am not from Switzerland and from the UK as evidenced by my accent. He told me that because of Schengen I could have walked right into Switzerland without any border checks and I told him that my unstamped passport probably won't help

I am kinda naive in that I thought maybe they genuinely wanted to find a suspect or that if I was cordial and polite they would soon fuck off. I told myself to tone down the snark because whilst telling the officer that I didn't know black t-shirts, brown khaki jeans and grey converse weren't in season would amuse me I could end up having to deal with even more bullshit due to them not liking being the punchline to the Bleepey comedy special. He asked for my passport and the snarky parts of me wanted to compare him to the Stasi, alas I decided against it and just told him I was never told that I was required to keep my passport with me at all times when I flew in from London though i gave him my UK ID. They then asked me what I was doing in Switzerland. I wanted to tell him something like I came to fuck their women but out came sightseeing.

He then asked me how I got to Switzerland and I told him via plane. I tried to show them my boarding pass but my phone was being a pain in the arse. From there they asked where I was staying, I told them the hostel where the less talktative officer told his colleague he knew the place. The particularly inquisitive one who was doing all the talking, looked at my uk citizenship card curiously and was telling my details to the person on the radio. Officer Curious kept asking me about my stay, how long I was there, how much longer I'll be here in this particularly annoying game of 21 questions, it took all in my power not to inform him my favourite flavour of Ben and Jerry's and that whilst I am malleable, I prefer to be the big spoon. I held my tongue and continued to be polite. The officer who kept talking then asked me where I was saying and how I will get my passport. I told him that if he truly cares that much we can go back to my hostel, I needed a lift anyway.

One officer saw sense and realised he was wasting his time and then convinced his friend to do better shit with his time. In the corner of my eye I saw another black dude who was listening and laughing his arse off. I took back my ID, sarcastically thanked them and smiled. I then talked to the black dude watching and he said they tried the same rap with him but he spoke German and they realised their bs was not gonna fly. We bullshitted about it for like half an hour. I talked to a white Swiss girl I knew and she said their primary motivator wasn't racist just that they're dickheads

takriel

Sorry you had to go through that. I didn't know that our police could be such dickheads as well.

But it reads as though you tried to be sarcastic from the beginning. That is not how you should talk to police officers in any country, lol.

slider

Bleepey, I couldn't help but picture Jason Bourne, off a fishing vessel, sleeping on a park bench and kicking ass.

Not appropriate but it's what popped into my head.

Yeah, doner boxes were my go-to cheap meals in Switzerland during my recent visit. Love the country but holy fuck is food (and everything, really) expensive af. We ended up going to a Denner and just stocking up on drinks so we wouldnt have to pay like 10 francs for a sip.

Also, it annoyed me to no end that the parking meters only accepted coins. Like bruh. Why. Next visit I'm just gonna use trains and public transport to get around.

Bleepey

You told them to fuck off and complain afterwards? Did I get that right?

No, I was often curt and possibly a bit snarky near the end but I was pliable to their needs..

Do you speak German?
Sorry no, only English
Did you see someone running?
No i was just sitting here
Where are you from?
London
What are you doing here?
Sightseeing
How did you get here?
Plane
How long have you been here?
From ____ and I plan to leave on____
Do you have any ID?
No I wasn't told I need to carry ID with me at all times when I came into the country. However here is my UK citizenship card. I am looking through my phone for pics of my passport but my phone is being a pain in the arse, here is a pic of my boarding pass as well
Where are you staying?
At _____ hostel in this place near ______

Moff

Ah ok, the initial text makes it look like you told them to fuck off if they want to catch the dude, after which they gave you a hard time.

Bleepey

Ah ok, the initial text makes it look like you told them to fuck off if they want to catch the dude, after which they gave you a hard time.

There was no dude. They said similar shit to a black dude sitting on an adjacent bench. He said shit happens to him like 3-4 times a year.

Amalthea

Banned
1.Pretty sure this was racially motivated.
2. Swiss civil servants are like some 1984-bureaucrat shit. They will expect you to have all necessary documentations with you at any time, including copies for their files and if it's your goddamn dental profile. They'll also drill you with all bureaucratic means they have just for the hell of it.
3. Good that you didn't get snarky. They would have pretended not to understand the sarcasm but believe me they would and they would have gotten 10% more pissed of with any snarky comment.
4. They wouldn't have shot you at least.

brawly

Yeah, doner boxes were my go-to cheap meals in Switzerland during my recent visit. Love the country but holy fuck is food (and everything, really) expensive af. We ended up going to a Denner and just stocking up on drinks so we wouldnt have to pay like 10 francs for a sip.

Also, it annoyed me to no end that the parking meters only accepted coins. Like bruh. Why. Next visit I'm just gonna use trains and public transport to get around.

Where did you stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom