• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment |OT| Re:translated and Re:mastered

Kamina777

Banned
The running speed, especially with the ring that increases movement speed turns moments when you aggro a legion of enemies into a scene right out of Benny Hill.

HPguOM0.gif

Xenus

The running speed, especially with the ring that increases movement speed turns moments when you aggro a legion of enemies into a scene right out of Benny Hill.

HPguOM0.gif

I noticed the vita version's running speed in town at least ramped way up after it's patch as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Its the same thing that happens when the NPCs get their asses kicked and make a beeline for the zone exit. Along with the monsters chasing them. Always thought that looked hilariously odd.

Parakeetman

Can NPC 'S
Die out in the field or is it only in floor boss battles?

Dont think they count in the field. As Ive seen a few die, but it did not seem to subtract from the total number. That was in the hollow area. I guess its to prevent them from dying by "accident" where the player would literally have no control of things due to them not even being in the same area where the NPCs are fighting.

Kamina777

Banned
Dont think they count in the field. As Ive seen a few die, but it did not seem to subtract from the total number. That was in the hollow area. I guess its to prevent them from dying by "accident" where the player would literally have no control of things due to them not even being in the same area where the NPCs are fighting.

Okay, good to know, too many in my game seem to home in on the NM's and I find myself fighting tough battles trying them to keep them alive!

Parakeetman

Okay, good to know, too many in my game seem to home in on the NM's and I find myself fighting tough battles trying them to keep them alive!

The ones that I saw got killed were by the treant boss in the hollow area, as all the other weaker ones respawned in and were slapping the shit out of them along with the boss. Then 2 of the 3 died I think it was. Was watching that happen since wanted to see if it would effect the death count in game.

Dante316

I don't know how to upgrade my character stats. Is there a shop I have to go to or something? I'm at the floor 76 boss.

I bought this game but have no knowledge of this series and never seen the anime ever. Can I still enjoy it for its gameplay? It looks complicated but I only played for 2 minutes.

Someone sell me on this game. I love JRPGs.

Parakeetman

I bought this game but have no knowledge of this series and never seen the anime ever. Can I still enjoy it for its gameplay? It looks complicated but I only played for 2 minutes.

Read the OT first.

bomblord1

Banned

At the very least go to Crunchyroll and watch the "Sword Art Online Extra Edition" recap episode or you will not understand anything that's going on at all.

I would really recommend just sitting through the first 14 episodes of the anime though as the game takes place after that.

Parakeetman

At the very least go to Crunchyroll and watch the "Sword Art Online Extra Edition" recap episode or you will not understand anything that's going on at all.

I would really recommend just sitting through the first 12 episodes of the anime though as the game takes place after that.

Its more like watch up to 14. As stated in 2 sections of the OT.

I ended up with Philia as a "healer" type almost by accident since I didn't know about the "diamond" system until yesterday. The special armor set was something that looked like actual armor and not the lewd wilderness affair! I'm glad it worked out this way. Unfortunately she rarely does any healing and sure doesn't heal herself. When my partner asks for me to heal them I have nooooo idea what to do. I don't have any abilities for it and I can only use items on myself.
Out in the field it was making me nauseous from the overstimulated visual input. Not enough fps in the universe to make up for how jolting it is. It also feels like there's a bug where you sometimes at random run at a faster speed.... +25% maybe. I know that ring says 10% but it feels like more than that, too. Being very gentle on the left stick has remedied some of that. In tighter areas I've also started running around the zones with the map pulled up on top,
Does the harem anime stuff ever get toned down? I like the combat and I think the base story is kind of cool,
The level of harem insanity is way higher than I thought it'd be, and I had pretty low expectations going in. It's... just... SAO. It is what it is, though this is miles beyond anything in the anime. I consider it a lot worse than your typical harem system because they went out of their way to do the "married" and "child" thing but it changed absolutely nothing in terms of how anyone acts toward Kirito. Like, why bother? It just adds unnecessary cringe factor. It's not even funny, even by extremely generous harem standards. I rather like the combat, too, so I think I can tough this out.
Its more like watch up to 14. As stated in 2 sections of the OT.
This, and for anyone's own sanity do not watch any after that, the OVA, or season 2.

I would really recommend just sitting through the first 12 episodes of the anime though as the game takes place after that.

I don't get it. How come you can watch anime for free with this app?

Abdiel

It isn't that bad.

But I wouldn't rewatch anything past the first 14 episodes.

Huh. I thought the second half of the first season was weak, but the entire second season was excellent. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Was watching each episode as they released last year. The ending of season 2 genuinely got me choked up.

But I also wasn't expecting a super involved, intricate narrative. For that, Log Horizon is the better show. I love them both for different reasons.

Stalk

I don't get it. How come you can watch anime for free with this app?

It's a service that does simulcasts (the anime airs in Japan and like a couple of hours later we get subs) for a small subscription fee. Alternatively as shows get older, or an episode has been out for a while stuff is free to hook you in. It's a pretty decent service honestly.

also EU release plz.

bomblord1

Banned
It's a service that does simulcasts (the anime airs in Japan and like a couple of hours later we get subs) for a small subscription fee. Alternatively as shows get older, or an episode has been out for a while stuff is free to hook you in. It's a pretty decent service honestly.

also EU release plz.

All but the latest simulcasted episodes are free (albeit limited to 480p)

Xenus

All but the latest simulcasted episodes are free (albeit limited to 480p)

Not limited to 480p on the vita and console apps I think. At least it looks a lot better then 480p on the computer. I use my vita for crunchyroll all the time. You do have to deal with random stream quality changes on those at times though.

bomblord1

Banned
Not limited to 480p on the vita and console apps I think. At least it looks a lot better then 480p on the computer. I use my vita for crunchyroll all the time. You do have to deal with random stream quality changes on those at times though.

The paid version goes up to 1080p. It's only the free version that is limited to 480p.

Another thing is the 1st episode of the series is usually free 1080p.

Xenus

The paid version goes up to 1080p. It's only the free version that is limited to 480p.

Another thing is the 1st episode of the series is usually free 1080p.

true but what I'm saying is is free streaming isn't limited to 480p on consoles or at least it doesn't look like it is. Just that you can't actually control the streaming quality and it's like youtube autoselect where it picks what it decides is best from moment to moment.

Oh, fair enough! Always been subbed so I've never taken it in haha.

I'm thinking about it now I've freed up some funds but I can' decide whether to do crunchyroll, hulu, or funimation. There is some overlap but I all three have things I want to watch and I don't want to pay for all 3...

Hikami

Alright, I can see how the 0 sp sword skills are broken now..

I've gotten like 4 arcane skills now and all I have to do is switch weapons to use them instantly and obliterate whatever enemy I'm facing.

How many times can you chain skills for an OSS? Never got the implement to let me go above 2. Could probably end up chaining all your sword skills now if it allowed you.

nikos

Curious to know if anyone who is coming from the Vita version is enjoying this more, for any reason.

Nope looking at my post patch vita version most sword skills use 100sp

Dang :| This is the only thing that turns me down from the game. I'm already at level 90 (iirc) but the combat is a bit boring. SP gets depleted too soon and I end up giving little to no damage to enemies :|

Edit: Oh wait! My gripe is with Burst!

Huh. I thought the second half of the first season was weak, but the entire second season was excellent. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Was watching each episode as they released last year. The ending of season 2 genuinely got me choked up.

But I also wasn't expecting a super involved, intricate narrative. For that, Log Horizon is the better show. I love them both for different reasons.

I felt the same way with the SAO anime. The Fairy Dance arc was really bad.
How Asuna went from Vice Commander to Princess Peach made me pretty mad.
Season 2 was really good apart from the filler Calibur Arc.

Parakeetman

Alright, I can see how the 0 sp sword skills are broken now..

I've gotten like 4 arcane skills now and all I have to do is switch weapons to use them instantly and obliterate whatever enemy I'm facing.

How many times can you chain skills for an OSS? Never got the implement to let me go above 2. Could probably end up chaining all your sword skills now if it allowed you.

Its pretty stupid that they took out the SP stuff.

Kamina777

Banned
I liked the real life drama of the arc, hated the fairy land setting, wish they would have stayed in SAO with the same drama in the background. .

People act like its beyond the realm of possibility for someone who is brave and strong to get their power taken away from them and exploited by a twisted individual. It happens in real life, to men and women, if anything the ending of the season where the "real" fight took place was so much more satisfying after all she was put through, not everyone would have been able to make the choice he did.

Parakeetman

Well... they should. There's no excuse not to do it, when they have all the necessary files for it.

Re-submission, the amount of time necessary to implement all of the data, QA scheduling to make sure everything is properly submitted, etc, different teams etc.

RK128

Edit: Ignore this post :(. Sorry for derailing the thread if I did that X(.

Parakeetman

The second half of S1 really ticked me off honestly X(. So much wrong with it its honestly hard to count despite me loving the Zelda-esc fantasy setting AFO has. Spoilers for that half of the season coming.
-Asuna becoming Princess Peach really reminded me of what Nintendo did with Samus in Other M; taking a powerful female character and making her weak for no real reason. And when you make me think of one of the very few games I honestly hate, that isn't a good thing at all :l.
-The character motive of Leafa. I mean.....I really don't get her and Kirtio's relationship; she wants him but she is his sister too?! That is all kinds of wrong, them being cousins or not X(.
-A villain that had no interesting motive or goal. He just felt like a prick and wanted to 'control' Asuna, basically turning her into 'his toy'. And the villain prior had an interesting idea (an online world that is a unique reality) that he accomplished through shady ways (trapping everyone in his world). I hated the AFO villain and he was a disappointment coming off of Kiaba.
-Not really exploring the after effects of being trapped in SAO for so long. The ending of Ep. 14 has Kirtio be in really bad shape after waking up from the game, and yet in Ep. 15, he is walking around like nothing happened. It would have been very interesting seeing the characters fight to fit in the real world again.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm trashing the anime, but I really hate the second half of S1 as the first half while not great, was a very enjoyable show with beautiful visuals, a great score, some fantastic fight scenes and characters I enjoyed learning about. With the second half of S1, I hated everyone and whatever good elements it had was overshadowed by all the other issues that half had :(.

S2 is a lot better with it having a constant quality across its entire run (despite the GGO arc ending in a way I didn't like.
Once again pull the creepy stalker/pervert/psychopath/ect that wants a girl that Kirtio meets and at the same time run a secondary character that was a nice guy in the season prior to that event.
).

Did you people NOT read this in the Warning section of the OT?

If you want to shit post about the anime/light novel, go elsewhere. This OT is intended for discussion on the game.

RK128

Did you people NOT read this in the Warning section of the OT?

Damnit :(. Will delete my post. Sorry Parakeetman :(.

The anime was brought up, so I thought it was okay to discuss here. Will not bring it up going forward, so once again, I am sorry for derailing the thread if I did that Pakakeetman :(.

RK128

With the Re:Hollow Fragment, I have a few questions if you guys can answer them. Will say sorry for stating all that stuff about the anime again; re-read the OP and I get it know; I shit-posted about it when the rules state otherwise X(. Sorry about that and will not do that again in future SAO threads.

How is the new translation? I know the Lost Song translation based on the English-Asian version is a lot better then the original Vita version of SAO: Hollow Fragment, so I think that this new version of Hollow Fragment has a better translation. My question is how improved it is over the original game, as the footage I saw online shows its a lot better thankfully :D.

And my last question is about the Strea Story Content that is new to the PS4 version. If anyone played that yet, is it a new area like the Hollow Area or is it a long story event spread across the Hollow Area and Alicard?

If you guys can answer my questions, I would really appreciate it :).

Stuart444

How is the new translation? I know the Lost Song translation based on the English-Asian version is a lot better then the original Vita version of SAO: Hollow Fragment, so I think that this new version of Hollow Fragment has a better translation. My question is how improved it is over the original game, as the footage I saw online shows its a lot better thankfully :D.

Much better, main issues are apostrophes and weird spacing but the actual translation is 100x better really.

aember

Man, that last boss for the Hollow Area is really testing my patience. The fight itself isn't too hard, I can easily tank two of his most powerful hits with health to spare, but with stuff like
let me fly around and cast Paralyzing magic bubbles
stretches it out. Then 15-20 minutes later
the smaller Hollow boss 1 hits me whenever I get him to red health.

This is gonna take some time..

olaznoG

There seems to be some king of bug with the running speed (at least for me). Sometimes Kirito runs at normal speed (still faster than Vita) and sometimes he runs at like turbo. Even the camera moves very fast.

RK128

Much better, main issues are apostrophes and weird spacing but the actual translation is 100x better really.

Thank you for the answer Sturart :D! Good to know that whenever I get this for the PS4 this fall (when I plan on getting one) it will have something I wanted for the game happen :).

Parakeetman

Well people who are native speakers have problems with apostrophes at times so that doesn't exactly worry me.

aint that the truth. i mean fuck i dont even use them at all let alone most punctuation lol. exact reason why i leave the writing to people who know what the hell they are doing with the english language.

with what Ive seen am just more concerned with the weird formatting they got going on with the odd spaces and whatnots... looks really really weird.

Nvzman

I'm watching my sister playing this and she has a question:
How do you level up in this? Is it naturally or is there a specific place to level up?

Top Bottom